Cars 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cars 2 Reviews

October 7, 2016
Not bad, but not a classic.
September 19, 2016
Full of car action but not as funny or charming as the first part. The spy story is surprisingly complex, way too complex for kids. Of course the fast pace and fun characters make up for that, giving the younger audience an adventure to remember.
½ September 11, 2016
While this film is fun at times the spy plot doesn't work for me. Hopefully cars 3 can learn from its mistakes. I would give cars 2 46%
½ August 28, 2016
This movie Is Bad Because The writing is Terrible,The Jokes are Not That Funny,Most of the Characters Are Very Bland and Sometimes Annoying,This Movie was Only Made To Sell Toys And This Movie Also Ruined My Childhood Because i Loved The first Cars When I Was Little And I Still Do!
Do Not Watch Cars 2, Its a Waste Of Time
August 27, 2016
This is Agent Henry of the Flixster Users. I have uncovered something that may shock you: Cars 2 is actually a great movie. It's not perfect, but Cars 2 is still a fine movie. The overall negative reaction is to who made it. So negative, that it's their only rotten movie on both critics and users. But all is not lost. After a brief transmission from a spy, out story opens with a completely new cast of characters and a new/much different story: Finn McMissile (Michael Caine) infiltrates a boat in the middle of the ocean in a sleek, cool way that is both reminiscent of modern spy gadgets, except accommodated for cars. The ship is full of evil doers who are examining... something sinister. After snapping a few pics of the sinister item, McMissile is spotted by Professor Zundapp (Thomas Kretschmann in a better fulfilled villain role than Strucker), and after an intense shootout, McMissile fakes his death. After that, we return to Radiator Springs to reunite with old friends Lightning McQueen (Owen Wilson) and Tow Mater (Larry the Cable Guy), as they reunite and have some fun, until Lightning goes on a date with Sally (Bonnie Hunt), and Mater gets so lonely, he impersonates a waiter at the restaurant they go to, and after Mater calls into a talk show to tell off formula-one racecar Francesco Bernoulli (John Turturro) for insulting Lightning McQueen, Lightning goes on the line and announces live that he accepts Sir Miles Axlerod's (Eddie Izzard) invitation to the World Grand Prix, and after Mater is mistaken for the American spy by Holly Shiftwell (Emily Mortimer), Mater is dragged into a conspiracy concerning the World Grand Prix, the Lemon cars from McMissile's opening sequence, and forces Mater can't even begin to comprehend. Lightning McQueen and Mater's friendship is better developed here, both early on, and throughout. It helps because this is the darkest Pixar movie ever. Mater is well-developed through his interactions with Lightning and his co-spies, and like the first one, they do a fun job of establishing the world they live in as a parallel universe (or end point of Pixar theory) where Cars live like we do. This time, they brought it to a global scale. And don't even get me started on the animation, it was their usual blend of believable and tangible to the point you wouldn't notice any serious flaws. However, while the grizzly car deaths made sense and were realistic, it does make you question how they got the G rating. There was still comic relief, but I feel like this was a big-budget blockbuster trapped in an animated movie. I don't want to punish them for doing something a little different, but all the death and destruction felt out of place for Pixar, based on the last 15+ years of charm and whimsey they'd put out. And Michael Giacciano's score works perfectly to that, replacing most of the country vibes of the first one with a fast-paced score that gets your heart pumping in the action, from McMissile's infiltration to the high-octane climax that (again) feels out of place from Pixar. It may make you think of Woody and Buzz when they lit the rocket, but it wasn't the only high octane moment in the film: it was one of several. Overall, Cars 2 will go down as the lowest on many Pixar fans' lists for being too dark. I'd like to point out that if Dreamworks/Blue Sky/other had made this, there would be more praise than disgust. Pixar made a fun spy movie, but you'll always wonder, "How did they get a G rating in 2011?" Agent Henry out.
August 19, 2016
Do Not Watch Cars 2, Its a Waste Of Time
August 16, 2016
Pixar's worst film to date
August 12, 2016
This movie so stupid and horrible. I don't even know how they messed it up so bad. The first Cars was funny, this one is disgusting.
½ August 9, 2016
Personally, I like it is an improvement over the first movie which has virtually zero plot but there are still things that need to improve. Besides, let's face it. It is still just a cash grab. However, I did like the story a bit.
August 8, 2016
It's not pixars best by a long shot, it's probably their worst, but it still surpasses rival animators in wit, visuals and charm. You have to feel for John Lassetar, this being a film he had high hopes for as well as being emotionally connected to due to the inspiration for the original.
½ July 30, 2016
just watch the first one again, this one is pure Rubbish
July 28, 2016
Ok this was highly underrated. People say it wasn't good because it didn't feel like the 1st cars movie... SO APPARENTLY ITS BAF FOR A SEQUAL TO BE UNIQUE?????? WHAT THE HELL. The story is good. The voice acting is good, and I like that they focused on mater.
(Sigh) and because it's a sequel 95 % of modern people says it's bad before the even give it a chance. I'm exited for cars 3, you bey I'm seeing it!!!!!!
July 27, 2016
Every franchise has to fall short some day, and that day arrived when Cars 2 was released. Pixar was so successful to the point where I almost loved every movie they made. Sadly, It all stopped when Cars 2 came. A forgotten film that misses the thing that made its predecessor so great. What's that thing? Heart and Depth. On the other hand, the movie for most of the part is acceptable and enjoyable in some scenes, but it never captured my attention like the first one did. We had a film about McQueen and his dream to become the best racer in the world, and that dream didn't come true because he didn't win the trophy. But from what McQueen learned from his pals like Mater and Sally is to never act selfishly. And he changed the world with his selfless act by ending up the 3rd in the race because he helped out a friend. That made him someone to remember.
Cars 2 wants to expand on that and become a lot of things. The movie is not bad. It has its fun moments. But it will be remembered as Pixar's biggest letdown yet.
Score: 6/10 (Okay).
½ July 26, 2016
Extremely disappointing. And why is this film rated G with all the violence it depicts?
July 16, 2016
Cars 2 Is much better than the first one because there was a bit more to this film than there was with the first Cars.
The story is a lot better, the characters are good as well we learn some new things about some of the characters and we get to meet new characters as well and they are good as well, each area we travel to in the film is so cool each area looks like the actual place accept it's made for Cars, the music is good since it fits as a spy film and this is a spy film after all & as always the animation is always good but then again this is Pixar after all and they are the gods of computer animation no studio will be able to beat Pixar at being the best animation studio.
My only downside is that it tries too hard to be perfect spy film when it clearly isn't but it's still a good movie by far and my other downside is that a lot of people say it's the worst Pixar film ever made when I disagree I think it's a great film.
Anyways I give Cars 2 a 8.5 out of 10 a good movie which shouldn't have been bashed on for being a bad movie when it clearly isn't a bad movie.
July 10, 2016
Though the animation is on point, this underwhelming sequel provides barely any enjoyable moments and gradually drags on to the point which you don't even want to root for anybody.
½ June 30, 2016
Cars 2 is amazing and hilarious. Pixar has done it again. They bring great animation to show you all the animated cities that the race cars race in. The only reason why I don't give it five stars is because the first cars makes you feel at home and then they make a second one where they go out of the ordinary to not make you feel at home. Still, it is a great movie. I would very much suggest this movie.
½ June 27, 2016
Without a doubt Pixar's worst film but mainly because of the high standards we've come to expect from them. What little sweetness the first one had is absent and the message is pretty muddled but for a lively distraction for kids, there's nothing wrong with it.
June 23, 2016
After what we've been seeing from Pixar over the past decade, you'd think they would keep bringing up all these innovative ideas for years to come, with more new characters, more new stories that we can connect with, and bring their animation to new heights. And what do they make after their most successful film yet? A sequel to their worst film, CARS. Yeah, smart move.

I mean, talk about the biggest step backwards you could take for a studio that was doing so well. I have no idea why they thought that this would be a good idea. Did anyone ask for a sequel to CARS? No. They made it because of the $billions in merchandising, nothing else. Since I didn't care about the first CARS film, I avoided seeing the sequel in the theater. And not surprisingly, the film critically didn't do very well. It became the lowest rated Pixar film to date... by a HUGE margin. I never thought that we would actually have a legitimately bad Pixar movie. Years later, I thought to myself "How bad can it be?" because people have been treating this film like it's one of the worst animated films ever made. I finally watched it on television to see how bad it actually is. When comparing it to other Pixar films, it's absolutely terrible and by far their worst one yet. But among animated films in general, it's not awful.

Don't get me wrong, CARS 2 is a bad movie. The premise they give us seems completely random and out of nowhere, it's basically a spy espionage movie with talking cars. Okay, how did they come up with this idea? What did the first movie even have to do with spies? They seem to have completely ignore the events from its predecessor. Maybe they could bring something innovative to this idea, some new twists, characters, or... I don't know, something new. But we don't. This movie is basically every spy movie you've ever seen. You can predict everything that's going to happen, every joke, every sort of twist and turn, and it makes it so boring.

They introduce so many new characters who we know nothing about, so we don't even care what they do or what happens to them. None of the characters we knew from the first film don't seem to make much of an appearance, not even Lightning McQueen. The only character that they focus a lot more on is Mater, who is now the main character. He was already pretty annoying in the first film, but as the main character, he's almost unbearable. You're basically watching Larry the Cable Guy doing his incredibly forced comedy. If you like him, great, you'll have a lot of fun with this movie.

Though, I can't say that I hate this movie because first of all, I had absolutely no expectations for it at all, and second, the movie is pretty much harmless. It doesn't have any bad morals or anything offensive. And to the film's credit, the animation looks very nice and even some of the action scenes were kind of fun to watch. By the standards of most children's films, it's not that horrible. But if someone told you that this movie is from one of, if not, the greatest animation studio of all time, you can easily see why a lot of people really dislike it. You'd expect so much more effort from them, you'd expect their movies to aim at both the kids and the adults. But it's a movie that's obviously aimed only towards younger kids.

And what really annoys me is that, now that we know that they're actually making a third film, we're going to get an entire CARS trilogy that nobody asked for before we finally get a sequel to THE INCREDIBLES that everybody begged for. I don't know why or what Pixar was thinking.

Grade: D+
½ June 22, 2016
Nothing will ever beat the first movie