Cars 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cars 2 Reviews

June 24, 2017
An underrated beautiful and hilarious masterpiece.
June 23, 2017
It's Pixar's worst film. They set up such a high standard for their movies and this movie doesn't get anywhere close to it. Sure the animation looks nice but that doesn't hide a bad storyline. There is some humor in this, if you like Larry the Cable guy kind of humor. The main problem with this is just the storyline. It's weak and just isn't very good. It really just looks like Pixar took a break with this movie. It should've been a straight to DVD. If this was straight to DVD, this movie wouldn't be that bad. But for theaters, this movie just doesn't belong. C-
½ June 23, 2017
Feeling more like a Mater spin-off than a direct sequel, Cars 2 focuses on more on creating fun characters for kids in order to sell merchandise, all the while keeping them entertained with lazy Mater jokes (ironic due to its impossible-to-follow plot) in the film that lacks the fun, youthful wonder of the original.
June 23, 2017
This movie is utter all garbage. I am very literal with my reviews and I will continue to be. Cars three is coming out soon, and I hope they can do better with it than this movie

This movie makes me quite angry because the first one is very good it makes me angry
June 23, 2017
Probably the worst of the Pixar movies, but I don't think Cars 2 is a really bad movie. It has some decent moments in it, but its predictable plot and mostly unfunny dialogue make it hard to pass. Kids will enjoy it, but some adults might rather watch a different Pixar movie.
June 22, 2017
I thought it was hilarious and enjoyable, but the cars might as well be humans. What's the point in calling it CARS if they're not doing what cars do best DRIVE AND RACE
June 22, 2017
Could be better and definitely could be worse.
June 22, 2017
Pixar's masterful animation is evident, however, the storytelling is just plain bland and boring in the end.
June 21, 2017
The sequel to the phenomenal that is Cars, was not great. It proves even Pixar can screw up. The whole James Bond feel is stupid and Lighting McQueen and his races truly made it better. But Mater taking the front seat was mixed with me...
June 20, 2017
Love it, it was funny and fun!!!!!!!!
½ June 20, 2017
Great animation, but an AWFUL narrative
June 19, 2017
This film wasn't as good as the last and probably the worst film in the cars trilogy. One reason I didn't like this film was because I didn't know what direction Pixar was going for this movie because the stuff was just so random. I also didn't like the way that they just pushed McQueen off to the side and Mater was the main character.
June 19, 2017
The Cars 2 it is an amazing movie. It made me laugh and smile
June 18, 2017
Colorfully animated but a complete digression, Cars 2 shoves Mater to the role of lead protagonist, with a story that has nothing to do with racing and feels like a short film that went on for too long
½ June 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 5.5

Una secuela absolutamente innecesaria, que aún contando con momentos divertidos, no roza siquiera la esencia que se podía rescatar de la primera entrega.
½ June 17, 2017
Really?!?! A Spy thriller!??!
June 17, 2017
This is a cool kid appropriate movie it has a lot of action,humor,and it's creative.I recommend this to everyone who like humor,action,creativity, speed
June 15, 2017
Cars 2 is the worst film that Pixar has ever made and will probably ever make, plain and simple. I usually use the word arguably when making statements like that, but this film has been collectively know by fans of even the first Cars film to be the weakest. Personally, upon revisiting this instalment, I can't see an argument as to why this film even received the green light. Yes, the merchandising for the original went through the roof, but in terms of Pixar's incredible storytelling, Cars 2 should've been a much stronger film than it is. Kids may find a few scenes of pure enjoyment throughout this film, but I can only see that being from the spectacle. The premise of this film is thrown together just to make a quick buck at the box office and the end result painfully represents that.

I'm not trying to compare Cars to Star Wars, but this film is honestly as if they took a character like Jar Jar Binks and made him the front and centre storyline. No, Mater is not as annoying, but too much of him becomes a desperate venture for laughs. The premise of this film should've been as simple as Lightning, Mater, and their crew travelling to the World Grand Prix to compete for a new title, but instead this film devolves into an espionage mishmash of unfunny comedy and dumb slapstick. I'm a pretty big fan of the first film for the most part, but this is the complete opposite direction from what was presented in the original. The sad part is that the spy aspect about this film is tedious and doesn't even remotely intrigue the mature viewers.

This may seem like more of a rant than a review throughout my next statement, but I mean every word. The most interesting aspect about the first film was the character of Doc. Hudson, but he is completely thrown out of the picture here, leaving the most interesting portion to obviously be on Lightning McQueen, who is now turned into a side character in order to give Mater the spotlight. Not only that, but giving him an even dumber role into tricking him into be thought of as a spy, only to eventually give the lesson of true friendship in the end of the film. The pacing of this film is all over the place and the message throughout the final act has been done better in much stronger children's films. For this reason, Cars 2 warrants no replay value, unless you are a very young kid.

When it comes to animation, Pixar is usually the best in the business. Cars 2 is absolutely no exception to that notion, being one of their most beautifully animated films to date. It's too bad that this animation is wasted on a poor film, but nevertheless, the loads of action and cool race sequences do make this movie a little easier to handle. If it wasn't for that aspect, this film would honestly make my list of worst animated films of all time, which is a very narrow list to begin with. The main mistake this film made was being made for the sole purpose that the original sold a lot of toys. There is no way the story of this film was conjured up by the creators of the first, before the overwhelming pop culture sensation it became.

Each time I revisit or frankly think about this movie, the less I like it. I thought it was fine upon first viewing it in the theatre, but that was solely due to my thorough enjoyment of its predecessor. Cars 2 is sadly a pretty bad movie with some amazing animation and well-done action sequences. There was absolutely no reason this film had to happen, and that is very apparent in the final product. The face of Cars has always been Lightning McQueen, so making the side characters a much more prevalent plot was a horrible decision from the get-go. I can see how some kids will have fun watching this movie, but what I can't see is someone over the age of ten calling this a genuinely good movie. For kids it's okay at best, but even then I would just be inclined to repeatedly show them the original over this film any day. Aside from Cars 2, Pixar's track record is fantastic, as none of their films have been less than at least solid in my eyes, but Cars 2 is a straight up poor movie.
½ June 15, 2017
Cars 2 is a total flop. I didn't hate the first one, in fact the first one is Citizen Kane quality compared to this! This first of all is a spy movie with cars and the cheesy dialogue doesn't help either!
½ June 14, 2017
The Cars movies are not my favorite Pixar movie series, but this one was more for younger kids and I liked it a lot but it really wasn't my favorite PIXAR movie