Cashback Reviews

• Jun 19, 2019

interesting movie with weird effect. The story is funny enough to watch though the whole thing

• Sep 15, 2018

Don't believe the so called "critics". Yes this movie doesn't conform to the predictable drivel that Hollywood puts out year after year. This is one of my favorite movies and I've seen quite a few.I loved this movie for the acting, sound track and plot. Read the reviews of people who have actually watched this movie.

• Aug 17, 2018

No robots. No superheroes. I really needed this thoughtful offbeat movie with a surprisingly romantic blossom at the end. Delightful.

• Jun 19, 2018

It had some interesting concepts, but was dragged down considerably by a really mixed tone and pretty unamusing comedy attempts.

• Mar 14, 2018

Surprisingly wonderful movie. The concept of frozen time to capture the beauty of women was perfect. Cinematography was great too.

• Nov 23, 2017

I love British films! This one did not disappoint!

I love British films! This one did not disappoint!

• Jan 23, 2017

"men will sit through the most pointless driblle just a the slight chance that a woman will take her top off" - Elaine, while that was true for me for about 40 minutes, after that I just couldnt take it anymore

• Nov 29, 2016

This is a deeply problematic film. On the one hand, the cinematography is pretty and some of the pause effects look great. But on the other hand, it completely fetishizes and objectifies women and almost all the characters are thinly portrayed. Had it been made as a satire, I think the gratuitous nudity might have worked. "Cashback" is childish, self-indulgent, and utterly chauvinistic.

• Aug 20, 2016

One of the best movies I have seen. I am typically not a fan of exposition, however, the narration in this film is on point. It gives perspective to the world through the lens of Ben Willis.

• Aug 07, 2016

In his semi-autobiopic debut feature film Cashback (2006), writer and director Sean Ellis offers us an exclusive look inside a young artist's mind - his mind. His protagonist, Ben Willis (nicely played by Sean Biggerstaff), is an art student who decides to work the night shift at a local supermarket to overcome a recent breakup and an ensuing incurable insomnia. His lack of sleep develops an artistic habit of freezing time and seeing into the beauty of mundane surroundings that usually go unnoticed. A very promising premise that loses its rigor to narcissistic self-immersion. It is true that art is inherently narcissistic; it is all about the artist's vision of the world. The artist allows us to see things differently by shunning the familiar and comfortable collective outlook and assuming an individual perspective. Nevertheless, as the saying goes, it is takes two to tango, and the artistic process, even though innately egoistic, is not self-reflective. The audience is always an integral part. Much of the film's freshness and originality have been obscured by Ellis's aimless meandering through his vision as an artist. It is definitely wonderful that he shares his exceptional vision with us, but he ignores the refinement necessary for viewers' reception. The end result is a picture that lacks focus and purpose, and borders on infantile disarray. Although it clearly sets itself within the boundaries of metafiction, the tone comes off as distant and lofty (pretty much like Biggerstaff's face throughout the movie) that the comic and amorous elements have become irrevocably dissonant. I love films that leave me with mixed feelings. However, Cashback has left me with mixed feelings I cannot relate to or even attempt to understand. I do not think of myself as an artist but I cherish imagination more than words can say, and I know that confusion (the state of being confused and confusing) is one price to pay for this wonderful gift. It is the artist's choice though to either reach out or further distance him/herself. I mentioned earlier that the film is metafictional in the sense that Ellis's artistic choices in delivering the film to us is echoed by Willis's choices in trying to impart his art on the world around him. Both handle the outside world and its inhabitants as inferior subjects detached from the self to the extent that the humanity of the connection is reduced to a microscopic size; the human element in Ellis's picture is basically as emotionally aloof as the love relationship between Ben and Sharon. The artist's eyes notice things that we cannot see, and attract our attention to them. Ellis and Willis have got only half of their job done.