Cast Away - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cast Away Reviews

August 21, 2017
An emotional and smart work of Robert Zemeckis and Tom Hanks producing a lost-at-sea film that pulses the heart and keeps the human spirit alive, even if its final act is longer than it needs to be.
July 30, 2017
Powerful, heart wrenching, inspiring, and a truly Oscar worthy performance from the awesome Tom Hanks. This film is one of the best survival films ever made...
½ July 19, 2017
For 17 years I put off seeing this wonderful film, a film that moves one so deeply. because I was afraid it would be so emotionally wrenching, and it was, but I'm glad I finally saw it. The part I thought would be worse to experience, because I usually do experience what the character does in a movie, the soul hurting loneliness of his years on the island were hard to live through with him, but when he came back was even harder. Because this film is about the role time and our place in space and how we move through both governed by either fate or our own decisions, (who can tell?) being what shapes our lives. There is much talk of time and moving through space--that is what Chuck's job is all about, and the decision he makes to get on a plane, filled with who knows how many people's hopes and dreams in the form of packages on their way by the fastest delivery service there was at the time. But they all take a detour when the time and space they are in is worked upon by something no man can control--nature. Although nature sends him what he needs to escape the island where his time is arrested and his space is a trap. so he finds his world of the space he used to inhabit again, but time has moved on without him that space he no longer was in, and so did the life he would have had. In our journey through time and space, we can never be sure that something very powerful, such as nature, will not interfere with the journey we have planned for ourselves and take us on a totally different path, so that we will never have the life we planned--such planning was hubris , anyway. So, in a way, this film follows the pattern of ancient Greek tragedies, with hero trying to control his journey through time and space so exactly, but nature (the gods) showing him that he just can't, and his life is completely changed. A very deep film, with a bravura performance by Tom Hanks.
July 7, 2017
This movie was too detailed but when Tom Hanks makes u cry because of a simple volleyball, that shows us that hes a brilliant actor ! I gave 1 star just because of his performance.
July 4, 2017
The first half of the movie is great but after that point it falls flat...
½ June 1, 2017
Amazing movie, loved everything about this one.
May 15, 2017
At first it was really interesting, I felt for the guy, I wanted to watch him survive all this. The point where the whole movie felt weird was the second act. Tom Hanks did a really fantastic job and actually managed to win the audience even though he barely spoke. I had a real issue with the storyline I'm not satisfied with how all this ended and how it finally became a romance
½ May 4, 2017
Some fine cinematography, but otherwise a boring film at times. It seemed even longer than it was. The story at the beginning and the end added little to the film. (First and only full viewing - 3/15/2014)
April 6, 2017
A film that with a weak performance would be incredibly boring, but Tom Hanks finds a way to make a near dialogue-less film fantastic by just using body language and emotion. The writing of this script is incredible considering how little words are spoken. Cast Away is so simple and hopeless, yet has an inexpiable charm.
April 3, 2017
Tom Hanks does another great job. Helen Hunt superfluous. Was not bored by Hanks alone on an island.
½ March 29, 2017
Great movie. One of the film's biggest and few flaws is that it drags on in moments, but yet still delivers a compelling and breathtaking tale of survival told with stellar direction from Zemeckis and led by a committed performance from Hanks.
½ March 19, 2017
What a ride! Great story line, with enough realism to be immersed in it. There were a few things, at the beginning on the island especially, that seemed a bit too dumb for an adult to do. But still kind of believable. Writing HELP did not make sense, SOS should have been written. Getting stuck four years seems also pushing it. There is so much traffic all over that someone should have showed up. It does make a lot of comedic sense though. The film has a lot of heart. Good work!
½ March 19, 2017
½ March 17, 2017
awesome movie also sad love story (crys)
March 11, 2017
I am absolutely blown away on how this simple concept of being stranded on a deserted island was developed into such an intelligent, emotionally gut-wrenching masterpiece, especially when basically only One actor(Tom Hanks) has to pull the movie along. Tom Hanks as always puts a lot of his own emotions into his characters and this is one of those performances that really shines. You laugh with the character, you grieve with the character when at the end things have moved on without him but he still keeps going. All this emotion is reflected onto his audience which is something really quite special. I loved the imagery of this movie, I loved the dialogue of this movie, I love the acting in this movie, and even though the ending is a bit sad it still ends with a sense of joy as Hanks smile fades to black. I enjoyed every little solitary thing about this movie and am honored to give this a 5/5 rating.
March 6, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: Two words: Tom Hanks. Yes this is arguably the legend's best performance, and it just goes to show what talent he has in the fact that he can literally hold an entire movie on his own. The character he builds is really meaningful, and the paces he's put through make for a very despairing and heart-breaking experience indeed.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The plot drifts to shore a little in the second act as it's ultimately just the same plot dealing with the same ideas pretty much from start to finish. Only Tom Hanks' magnetic performance is able to keep you there.
VERDICT: Tom Hanks is the glue that keeps the audience's eyes on screen. This is without doubt his most impressive performance yet.
March 2, 2017
It'says one of the best movies in history. A must see movie. I've watched it several times.
January 27, 2017
One of Hanks' best. A heartbreaking ending. Quality stuff.
½ December 29, 2016
Another great Zemeckis/Hanks collaboration. Cast away's success relies purely on Tom Hank's performance. The movie was generally a success so what does that tell you? Tom Hanks is brilliantly charismatic and you feel great sympathy for his struggle. The score is fantastic and the way Zemeckis directs this brilliantly and the way he makes Wilson's loss so hard felt really is impressive.
½ November 28, 2016
Revisited this after a decade away from it. Still as good as I remember. So compelling. Amazing score. 2-1/2s flies by.