Cast Away - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cast Away Reviews

½ June 1, 2017
Amazing movie, loved everything about this one.
May 15, 2017
At first it was really interesting, I felt for the guy, I wanted to watch him survive all this. The point where the whole movie felt weird was the second act. Tom Hanks did a really fantastic job and actually managed to win the audience even though he barely spoke. I had a real issue with the storyline I'm not satisfied with how all this ended and how it finally became a romance
½ May 4, 2017
Some fine cinematography, but otherwise a boring film at times. It seemed even longer than it was. The story at the beginning and the end added little to the film. (First and only full viewing - 3/15/2014)
April 6, 2017
A film that with a weak performance would be incredibly boring, but Tom Hanks finds a way to make a near dialogue-less film fantastic by just using body language and emotion. The writing of this script is incredible considering how little words are spoken. Cast Away is so simple and hopeless, yet has an inexpiable charm.
April 3, 2017
Tom Hanks does another great job. Helen Hunt superfluous. Was not bored by Hanks alone on an island.
½ March 29, 2017
Great movie. One of the film's biggest and few flaws is that it drags on in moments, but yet still delivers a compelling and breathtaking tale of survival told with stellar direction from Zemeckis and led by a committed performance from Hanks.
½ March 19, 2017
What a ride! Great story line, with enough realism to be immersed in it. There were a few things, at the beginning on the island especially, that seemed a bit too dumb for an adult to do. But still kind of believable. Writing HELP did not make sense, SOS should have been written. Getting stuck four years seems also pushing it. There is so much traffic all over that someone should have showed up. It does make a lot of comedic sense though. The film has a lot of heart. Good work!
½ March 19, 2017
½ March 17, 2017
awesome movie also sad love story (crys)
March 11, 2017
I am absolutely blown away on how this simple concept of being stranded on a deserted island was developed into such an intelligent, emotionally gut-wrenching masterpiece, especially when basically only One actor(Tom Hanks) has to pull the movie along. Tom Hanks as always puts a lot of his own emotions into his characters and this is one of those performances that really shines. You laugh with the character, you grieve with the character when at the end things have moved on without him but he still keeps going. All this emotion is reflected onto his audience which is something really quite special. I loved the imagery of this movie, I loved the dialogue of this movie, I love the acting in this movie, and even though the ending is a bit sad it still ends with a sense of joy as Hanks smile fades to black. I enjoyed every little solitary thing about this movie and am honored to give this a 5/5 rating.
March 6, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: Two words: Tom Hanks. Yes this is arguably the legend's best performance, and it just goes to show what talent he has in the fact that he can literally hold an entire movie on his own. The character he builds is really meaningful, and the paces he's put through make for a very despairing and heart-breaking experience indeed.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The plot drifts to shore a little in the second act as it's ultimately just the same plot dealing with the same ideas pretty much from start to finish. Only Tom Hanks' magnetic performance is able to keep you there.
VERDICT: Tom Hanks is the glue that keeps the audience's eyes on screen. This is without doubt his most impressive performance yet.
March 2, 2017
It'says one of the best movies in history. A must see movie. I've watched it several times.
January 27, 2017
One of Hanks' best. A heartbreaking ending. Quality stuff.
½ December 29, 2016
Another great Zemeckis/Hanks collaboration. Cast away's success relies purely on Tom Hank's performance. The movie was generally a success so what does that tell you? Tom Hanks is brilliantly charismatic and you feel great sympathy for his struggle. The score is fantastic and the way Zemeckis directs this brilliantly and the way he makes Wilson's loss so hard felt really is impressive.
½ November 28, 2016
Revisited this after a decade away from it. Still as good as I remember. So compelling. Amazing score. 2-1/2s flies by.
November 21, 2016
This movie is golden.
October 31, 2016
Love this film seen it loads. Never disappoints
½ October 25, 2016
Tom Hanks puts on an acting clinic as he makes you care about a volleyball. It's a crushing and grueling journey through Chuck's life.
October 25, 2016
In a era filled with sappy chick flicks and gooey romances we need a good drama once in awhile. Castaway, directed by Robert Zemeckis and starring Tom Hanks, Helen Hunt, and Paul Sanchez brings a serious attitude of self preservation and emotional hardship to the table. Chuck Noland (Hanks), who works for Fedex, has plane crashed on a deserted island. He uses washed up packages from the wreckage as tools and resources to help keep him alive. Completely isolated, Noland battles emotional, physical and mental hardships in order to survive. The movie is well presented with a different perspective on the many trials and hardships of life, not to mention an excellent cast of characters to go along with it. While most people don't get plane crashed onto an island the emotional perspective of getting backed to loved ones is a theme many can relate too. However, with Hanks really being the only character for the majority of the movie sometimes the dialogue can become a little lacking. Also considering that he is supposedly trapped on this island for many years with few resources he doesn't really look emaciated throughout the movie. Overall, I give this movie a four
October 13, 2016
Tom does a great job with a horribly written, unintelligent, piece of garbage script.