Catch Me If You Can - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Catch Me If You Can Reviews

April 6, 2018
a brilliant movie showcasing the life of frank abagnale jr. leo does a fine job as usual in the lead role. the storyline is very unique as it's inspired by a true story. the movie is very interesting from beginning to end. steven spielberg gives it his usual magic and everything comes together swiftly.
April 4, 2018
wow Amazing movie of dicaprio this movie Top 5 list on This List Click and see dicaprio top 5 movies Click here Top 5 best dicaprio movies
March 31, 2018
Spielberg really doesn't need a comparison to any other filmmakers in his time. The beloved director changed the course of cinema history by reinventing movie storytelling with his sharp ability to turn any tale into an adventure brazen with energy and heartbeat. In this 2002 crime-thriller masterpiece, Spielberg pays homage namely to Hitchcock, directing a wildly entertaining man-on-the-run film with virtually every element perfected. DiCaprio, already a Hollywood favorite at the time of its initial release, exceeds expectations with his portrayal of real-life caper & IRS super-villain Frank Abignanle - his performance never lacking charm, intrigue, or charisma. Hanks is the other side of the coin, Carl Hanratty, an FBI Agent almost too-good for his own job who's dedication to the chase is seemingly all he has. The two have screen chemistry to right the books, despite only appearing on screen together a handful of times, and both actors portrayal of their characters never lack spirit or magnitude. Spielberg explores the expertly-written script by Jeff Nathanson to adapt a film that is thoroughly gripping as a thriller and ceaselessly charming and funny (marking his own signature now idolized by any current director). Everything in this movie works right, with outstanding performances across the board and amazing directorial work by Hollywood's favorite man behind the camera. This is a film that can be revisited every so often and still manage to renew that same charm that it had at its debut over 15 years ago, seeming to have not aged a minute. Arguably one of Spielberg's finest directorial accomplishments that will remain a masterpiece.
March 18, 2018
Fun, fluffy, Spielbergian stuff that reaffirms his status as a master entertainer, even if theres all the depth of a puddle, really.
March 14, 2018
the best spilberg movie ever
March 10, 2018
A really well made cat and mouse movie.
March 9, 2018
Just brilliant...that's all I can say
March 3, 2018
Less enamored of this movie than most people it seems. The story, though based on real events, is hopelessly unbelievable, I've not been so disappointed in a Tom Hanks performance since Joe vs. the Volcano. It was like he phoned it in. This being a Spielberg movie makes it worse. There was no magic on the screen. I felt like I was being laughed at by all involved for sitting through it. Meh.
February 27, 2018
I watched this moving 4 times already and I loved it
½ February 6, 2018
Title: Catch me if you can
Story/Writing/Message/Plot: 4
Character/Acting: 5
Music/Sound: 4
Cinematography/Editing: 5
Age/Originality: 4
Total: 22/25
January 5, 2018
I could already tell from the beginning that this was a superbly written story and script and that I was in for a great ride. Supposedly, that was the real French prison where they put Frank. If that's the case I don't know how he didn't die due to the state of it, it looks filthy and unmaintained.

What a great mentor and a role model he had as a father. I almost can't believe this guys story. How was able to con and fraud all these people. I guess you could get away with it much easier than you can nowadays. I wish Frank's dad wasn't going through the bullshit he was going through with the IRS, scumbags. Tom Hanks' character is intersting. Amy Adams is cute in this movie, almost child-like.

What a genius cover up using all those girls as flight attendants to get through the airport unnoticed. Tragic what happened to him where his parents divorced, his mom started a new life with one of his father's friends, and then his father's passing. Jeez.

You imagine getting an offer like that? What would you say? To work for the very people who were trying to bring you down.

Overall, great cat and mouse chase story that's based on a true story. Also a great movie about a man's life and his story.
December 28, 2017
I recently watched "CMIYC" on HBO or might have been STARZ. They edited out the french prison scene that Abignale/Dicaprio suffered before he was extradited to the USA. Who is responsible for this edit/omission? I can only guess that is was white washed and 'FORGED" (pun intended) by a french prick who had the money and influence. Shame on all those involved to allow this scene to be cut out from the original!!!
½ December 25, 2017
M-F

8.4

[Steven Spielberg]
December 10, 2017
A very good movie from Steven Spielberg... !!!
½ November 19, 2017
With a strong performance from Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks, its starts off as a game of cat and mouse and evolve into something of a family tale between a father (Tom Hanks), and son (DiCaprio). Watching DiCaprio's character Abagnale work himself into unique and amazing situations is like watching magic itself. Sometimes, fact really is stranger than fiction
½ October 27, 2017
Entertaining and hilarious but yet always manages to stay grounded. Heartwarming.
½ October 9, 2017
This movie is exciting, well shot, and the dialogue is great. You feel yourself rooting for both sides, and yelling at the screen. Would recommend for ages twelve and up.
½ October 3, 2017
I love almost every single thing in Catch Me If You Can. It has some great comedic moments, some dramatic scenes, a sense of action at times, and even some mystery. I instantly latched onto the story and enjoyed going on this adventure with Leonardo DiCaprio. Somehow I instantly like him despite the fact that he continuously breaks the laws and lies to people. His journey is one that totally enthralls me, and I?m always surprised with how clever he can be. I find it even more impressive because this is all based on a true story. Some of the tricks he pulls feel so simple that I find myself wondering why everyone didn?t do the same back then. But it?s not just the forging of the checks that I enjoy, he also has some great scenes where he simply presents himself as another person and it comes across so natural that you feel like anyone could do the same.

There?s extra magic in Catch Me If You Can, though, because we get to see the other side of the crimes. Tom Hanks absolutely owns the character of Carl Hanratty, and makes the pursuit of Frank Abagnale just as exciting as the main story. Perhaps the greatest scene of the entire film is their first encounter with one another. Every second in that scene is tense, but also funny, and the two actors are at the top of their game. The strange bond that develops between these two characters adds so much to the story, and pays off in such a remarkable way. You can feel the mutual admiration between the characters despite the fact that one is trying to hunt down the other, and somehow that final showdown becomes touching, even though they have been at odds the whole film. Admittedly, a lot of this works because of the groundwork that Christopher Walken sets up as Frank?s father.

Spielberg deserves a ton of credit for perfectly nailing the tone of the film. In the hands of another filmmaker I could see Catch Me If You Can becoming a dark film that shows the depression in Abagnale as he has millions of dollars but can?t attain happiness. Instead we get a light adventure film that touches on those themes, but never feels the need to torture the audience with them. John Williams delivers a score that is original from his other work. It fits the film perfectly, and has a number of melodies that got stuck in my head for hours after watching the movie. But I wouldn?t say Catch Me If You Can is 100% flawless. It has some moments that don?t flow quite right, and there are a few scenes that feel like they could have been cut because they add nothing to the story being told or just repeat things we already knew. However, it?s only my hyper-critical subconscious that notices those things, because most of the time when watching this movie I have a great time!
October 1, 2017
Speilberg makes another excellent comedy/thriller about the real life story of Frank Abagnale Jr. who was a con artist at 16 years old. A liked it a lot.
½ September 26, 2017
One of my favorite classic movies. It has everything from the score, to the animation, to Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio, to an epic Chase movie where they follow DiCaprio all over the world, trying to finally capture him. I mean what's not to love? Fake checks, girls, lying, changing careers, and just running from the law. Love this movie!