Chaplin Reviews

• 4d ago

Robert Downey Jr's performance is good and watchable.

Robert Downey Jr's performance is good and watchable.

• Jan 29, 2020

Great movie with great acting. I loved it. It is kinda long and some parts are a little boring but it doesn't' t matter. Sometimes you just want to watch something you don't have to focus on that much.

• Nov 14, 2019

Chaplin is an American legend and icon. Pure genius that lived a very complex and unique life. The movie did not capture that. It was very boring and I struggled to watch the whole thing. Robert is very handsome in the movie and looks like Chaplin. He does good with the slap stick but nothing Oscar worthy. I hope Hollywood makes another biopic.

• Oct 14, 2019

This is a total prestige film. I have to say, for the time, Downey would probably have been an interesting choice to lead this bloated, star-studded affair. But of course, he does a good job with the material. The good: cinematography is great, locations, props and backdrop is always top notch. I love the film studio in the middle of orange groves. Acting is decent, and while it is fun to try and pick out all the stars, it gets distracting after a while. Not so good: I think the main problem here is they try to jam all of Chaplin's life into a 2+ hour film. They have to hit all the check boxes - LITERALLY the check boxes Anthony Hopkins is holding throughout the film. There is just not enough time to devote to any particular theme or part of Chaplin's life. It was just kind of 'go here, do this, next scene' - for 2.5 hours. Chaplin obviously had his problems, like those stars around him. He isn't particularly likable. He never does any kind of earth-shattering action, nor does the movie follow a theme (there is no real struggle, there is no lifelong love - even performing becomes a chore after a while). And while Chaplin clearly entertained and had talent, that really doesn't come across in the film - the material he does is interspersed about, not really tied into Chaplin's personal dramas at that moment. Also, and this is my personal opinion only, physical comedy is rarely funny.

• Apr 27, 2019

Absolutely brilliant! One of the best films I have ever seen. Robert Downey Jr. IS Charlie Chaplin! I cannot say how much I LOVE this film! A great performance and beautiful dedication from one legend to another! Five stars all the way! Take notes, Hollywood!

• Apr 18, 2019

The best like original

The best like original

• Jan 23, 2019

Chaplin is a phenomenal biopic! Chaplin (1992) is Richard Attenborough's impressive attempt at depicting the magnificent and fascinating life of Charlie Chaplin. Attenborough captures a great deal of tragedy, drama, intrigue, scandal, romance, and insight into Chaplin's chaotic life. Chaplin works so well due to Attenborough not shying away from the more controversial aspects to Charlie's existence, especially his penchant for young girls. Chaplin captures the magic of filmmaking with the unrestrained madness of a creative genius. Attenborough goes to staggering lengths to recreate England and America in the 1900's through the 1970's with a careful eye to detail. The costumes, make-up, accents, fashion, and politics are all front and center. Attenborough uses far wide shots for epic grandeur of a studio scene to intimate close ups of Robert Downey, Jr.'s face for emotional volatility. He is a master director as Attenborough already proved with his 1982 biopic for Gandhi and he captures similar excitement and expressiveness with Chaplin. Speaking of Robert Downey, Jr., I think that Downey gave his greatest acting performance ever as Charlie Chaplin. His career is significant on his own merits from Zodiac to Iron Man, but Chaplin sees Downey in his prime. He kills his English accent with an effortless realism. Downey's fluid dancing and drunken movements at The Tramp character are delightful. His own manic delivery and deep forlorn speech as Chaplin give the man a verbal gravitas. Downey is highly sympathetic, but never goes overboard for such a larger than life figure. Downey is the reason why Chaplin resonated so deeply with me as a movie goer, film critic, and cinema fan. He is as funny and poignant as ever as the tragic hero Charlie Chaplin. I must mention the several excellent supporting roles in Chaplin. Anthony Hopkins is curious and reverential as Chaplin's imagined editor and confidant George Hayden. Kevin Kline is exhilarating and charming as the legendary swashbuckler and friend to Chaplin named Douglas Fairbanks. Geraldine Chaplin is wondrous as her own grandmother Hannah Chaplin. She enchants you with her tender beauty and breaks your heart with a heartfelt and disturbing performance of insanity. Chaplin did her family proud as she is superb actress. Lastly, Moira Kelly is fantastic as Chaplin's first love and inspirational muse Hetty Kelly as well as his eternal love interest Oona O'Neill, respectively. In all, Chaplin may inform you more about the life of Charlie Chaplin than you likely knew, but excels in its depiction of his tumultuous life. His radical ideas and innovative direction are inspiring alongside his entertaining slapstick comedy and sickening romantic life. As depressing and saddening as Chaplin's life seemed, it turns out alright after all the misery. I feel like fans of Charlie Chaplin will be pleased as Chaplin the film will gain his legacy new followers. Chaplin is honestly a brilliant biopic of magical recreation and riveting style. It is still worth watching and absorbing a different time in America.

• Jul 14, 2018

The Chaplin movie was outstanding! I got to learn more about Charlie Chaplin more than ever! Robert Downy Jr. portraits Chaplin's character (The Little Tramp) very well and for that I'm amazed at what he did! Especially Chaplin himself!

• May 02, 2018

I don’t know if I was looking forward to Chaplin too much, or if my expectations were too high, but I was horribly disappointed with this film. Robert Downey, Jr. is fine in the lead role, and there are a handful of scenes where he gets to replicate the physical comedy of Chaplin, but it didn’t come together as a good film. More than anything else I found this movie to be boring. It felt like a dispassionate look at the career of a famous person, as if someone was trying to draw out a simple timeline of events without showing how they impacted or changed him. Every once in a while there would be a moment that linked to a film that he was making or would make soon, and I think fans of Charlie Chaplin are supposed to be delighted just by the familiar reference. They also spent a fair amount of time focusing on his love life and his passion for underage women, which didn’t do much to endear him to the audience. There wasn’t a solid arc to the movie, and even the end felt unearned because they didn’t set up why he would think his fans had turned on him. The movie was overlong and tried to address such a wide swath of Chaplin’s life that it didn’t focus in enough on any one moment. Chaplin is a biopic that did less to inform about the man behind the magic than a simple documentary would have pulled off. Even with a couple of decent performances, it did nothing to impress me.

• Sep 10, 2017

Robert Downey Jr gives a great performance as Chaplin showing us when we ventures to America to make it big in the movie business and he quickly becomes the world's most famous man. We see his many relationships,good and bad and see his rise and fall in the Hollywood. A sad ending as we see him in his elder years but feel joy when he picks up an Honoury Academy Award at the 1972 Oscar's. A funny man well ahead of his time