Chisum Reviews

• Jun 20, 2019

It's John Wayne at his finest. Great western. The tale of good vs evil. Good guy winning the day. Proud rancher born from hard fought circumstances. Name an airport after this guy!!

• May 06, 2018

An on-par John Wayne Western with lots of shooting, killing, and sentimentalism, plus a catchy theme song.

• Mar 15, 2017

John Wayne fans will delight this rip-roarin' shoot-em-out Western.

John Wayne fans will delight this rip-roarin' shoot-em-out Western.

• Nov 24, 2016

Better than passable western with pretty much everything thrown in. Gunfights the size of small wars, horse stealing, cattle rustling, a love story, a stampede, and a geriatric punch-up between the Duke and Forrest Tucker.The film is a little hokey, but the familiar faces in the cast and the sheer weight of action makes it quite watchable.

• Jun 05, 2016

Wow! A movie I wasn't prepared to like at all turns out to be a better-then-average westerner. Although John Wayne has the lead role as a cattle-driver trying to keep order in a pretty lawless town (oh, you know, there's that guy who's trying to take over), the movie is stolen from him by Geoffrey Deuel as BillyThe Kid, trying to start a new life as a honest ranch-hand! Wayne just comes in and jowls occasionally (his indian speech seems to be a bit offplace).

• Jul 20, 2015

Not one for the ages with bad writing, directing and plenty of cliches.

Not one for the ages with bad writing, directing and plenty of cliches.

• May 25, 2015

Routine John Wayne western is rather forgettable except that it's one of the few times that The Duke played a real life person, John Chisum, who was part of the infamous Lincoln County War, which is where Billy the Kid gained notoriety. Directed by journeyman director Andrew V. McLaglen, the action is competent if unspectacular. The only real reason to watch the film is for the handsome production values and a solid case that includes Wayne, Forrest Tucker, Christopher George, Ben Johnson, Richard Jaeckel, John Agar and Hand Worden.

• May 11, 2015

The candle of the wicked shall be put out. Rich cattle and land owner John Chisum has formed a brotherhood with an Indian chief, White Buffalo. A general arrives and pushes the envelope that causes a land war to ensue. Chisum will have shootouts versus legal and illegal stakeholders. He will seek the aid of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid to put those ruining his land and town down. "Thank you for asking me to come and stay with you." "I didn't ask you..." Andrew McLaglen, director of Return from the River Kwai, Have Gun - Will Travel, McLintock, The Wild Geese, The Sea Wolves, and Shenandoah, delivers Chisum. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and weaves nicely with historical characters. The acting and action also isn't half bad and the cast includes John Wayne, Forrest Tucker, Bruce Cabot, Glenn Corbett, and Robert Donner. "Don't ever get arrested." "I don't intend to." I came across this picture on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and decided to DVR it. This was a Wayne masterpiece with charismatic characters, witty one-liners, and great shootouts. This is a classic western that is worth a viewing and worth adding to your collection if you are a fan of the genre. "I've heard of you." Grade: B

• Apr 26, 2015

fresh off his best actor Oscar win Wayne made this western bio-pic

fresh off his best actor Oscar win Wayne made this western bio-pic

• Oct 16, 2014

a very good western from 1970 i seen this movie a few times but in wide screen and blue ray for the first time and yes beautiful horses in the movie i like my westerns with horses.