The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe Reviews

Page 1 of 42010
½ March 30, 2018
Seeing how the Lord of the Rings trilogy ended two years ago, it meant that room for epic fantasy was available especially following the worldwide success of Harry Potter. So Disney decided to adapt Narnia. Personally, back in the 2000's, I was disinterested in Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, Narnia was the only fantasy flick I actually wanted to watch. Not because I was a fan of the books, I just was excited for them. Looking back on the film now, it should be noted that the film, while understandably long, is also surprisingly harmless. There's little bloodshed and most of the action only happens near the end of the movie. The plot is also fairly predictable even if you haven't read the book. Maybe the film is somewhat worse than I remember it but that doesn't mean I hated it. The special effects are a marvel. Every creature is incredibly well-rendered and you're almost convinced that they're really there. The performances are good, although the one that really stood out for me was Michael Madsen's vocal performance as the leader of a pack of wolves working for the White Witch, who by herself is a great villain. And it all leads to an epic battle that has some incredible music composed. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a perfectly above-average fantasy movie even if it feels like it plays it safe at times.
March 20, 2018
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. One of my childhood books comes to life on the big screen. With a great score, terrific visuals and amazing cinematography, this film sticks to its book's material and it delivers a great spectacle for all ages. The acting is phenomenal as well, especially from newcomers: Georgie Henley and Skandar Keynes. Tilda Swinton and James McAvoy are great and Liam Neeson and Ray Winston voices are amazing in this film. From page to the big screen, this C.S. Lewis classic did not disappoint.
March 17, 2018
Quaint and lovely adaptation that I'm sure CS Lewis would approve of. While one or two moments drag, the majority of the film is exciting and relaxing at the same time.
February 27, 2018
75/100

"The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" es una gran película familiar, de fantasía y aventura, que se ve potenciada por unos destacados efectos especiales, una historia lo suficientemente convincente e interesante de ver y un reparto muy inspirado (James McAvoy y Tilda Swinton se lucen en sus respectivos personajes).
½ February 24, 2018
The special effects are mostly good, and there's a well adapted script, which young children will enjoy. The major issue is that the casting was awful, with our four young protagonists acting lacking any charisma. Their individual performances were very wooden, and their onscreen relationship looked disconnected. I just kept mocking their performances throughout, and that's this movies failure.
February 9, 2018
This is one of my favortie moives I remeber seening this when I was a little girl and fell in love with Edmund. I always dreamed ever since I was a little girl that I could go to Narnia.
½ February 9, 2018
There are many major plot holes and some sceans are very dark and hard to see. Also many scenes have way to dramatic music or effects for what is happening.
February 1, 2018
(5.0 out of 6)-
When we see we are not ready to leave such places behind when other foreign places enter. When what places we need to go which is much safer we see it's faraway places where there is nothing insight. When what place others come from we see it's low places when we bring those to our place. When what place inhabits places around the world we see such valueable places and invaluable places that shouldn't touch. When we wish to return to such places to hear news of our place at war, we can't help but feel not in comforting places. When what places we know we enjoy when such places are big to only find the perfect place to hide. When we find a place to hide in such large places we come across a new place we never imagined we would find.

When such small places we place high we see that such places are nice to have when we are young. When what place others value are honest and good places to invite those to our place. When what places we share in common we relate to those other places it takes us to know we are not alone in such places. When such places brings magic and greater powers that we need to keep those in such places as instructed. When what good place those believe in us not to be in they see that we don't have to give into those dark places. When what places we been to we see we return to see such places time stands still when we are gone. When we need to see such places when others don't believe in such places to go back to such places again.

When such places we enter we meet those who make anything appear in such places in what such places wants. When what place we uncover we see a place that we don't wish to share when we come from a place we must split everything with others. When what places that others believe in logic we see such places possible when such places exists. When we see others places we rather not be in to enter into another places through the wardrobe. When such places others are disloyal we see such places they are no longer welcome when high places puts those in smaller places in place.

When what place others tell us we are taking are places of prophecy when we are seen as sons & daughters of those great to defeat those in high places. When what places we go to for greedy places, we see it's high places. When what low places we go when we are threatened we see we chance after those in low places, when those are out matched. When we see what dark places those go when it's even darker places when we are held captive for our greed that we need to be free from.* When we have to travel far places to reach safer places when such places are protected by the hopes of those who are in good giving places. When what high places others come from, they see such places others are in to give those what they need to reach those higher places as they embark their journey as such prophecy places foretold.
(*time stands still for opposing places when those places are there*)

When we crossover from cold places to warm places we see such places changing when we get closer to the place we need to reach to defeat other powerful places when we fight alongside those place in war. When we see what places we are to take we need to prove ourselves in such places. When what place we see we are in are what places rules beyond other places when the battle between good & evil will hold domain such places in what magic governs us. When what place holds such deep magical places together we see the lawful places those must fulfill when punishment for betrayal is what such places ask. When what places others can't follow we take their place when we serve their punishment to save their place in the prophesy. When what low places we make example of our power of those who go against us we shame them before we kill them. When what high place we feel taking those places lives, we see we are in great place to win.

When what low places those hold for those care about low places when they are in high places we see what delicate places are on the verge of death. When what place we go when hope is gone we don't see what places those go to restore such places that hold deep laws of such places holds. When those are blinded in what they don't see such places wishes to hold to choose life over death.

When everyone is in place when war for such places are at stake. When we see a place where all once were are stored when such places holds death to only be in the right hands of life. When what place we need to save to only save others places when they are needed to rule such places and restore life it were. When we see what rightful place we take are those high amongst those righteous when we hold value in many ways that death has no right to place to claim. When we see in other places we may be in small places when higher places are at war to see little place to stop it. When we see that living in such places full of life we lose time in what places we forget to return to see such places have been waiting, standing still for us.
December 31, 2017
Having rewatched this movie tonight, I can honestly say it is one of my favorites of all time. Ninety percent true to the book as well. Technically a well-made movie. The message is awesome. I think that C.S. Lewis would have been proud of it had he lived to see it.
December 31, 2017
Pretty straight forward, but nonetheless quite a visionary tale, whether it'd be the book or this film. Well done effects, good cast, and a strange but pretty epic story.
December 21, 2017
I watched this again recently after years of not seeing it and was pretty impressed by how well the CGI has held up. Sure some of it is a bit noticeable (most noteably on the beavers) but the centaurs STILL look great and overall it's a well crafted film, technically.

The child actors do a decent job as well. Some better than others and some scenes better than others, but hey--they're child actors. Pretty much any time a child actor can pull off a decent performance I count that as a positive in my book. But without a doubt the best part of this film is the ice queen! Her costuming, her demenour, her freaking awesome battle armor... she's just fun to watch in every scene she's in. Mr. Tumnus, too, is clearly one of the highlights of the film and every scene he's in feels so genuine.

The negatives: Probably 4 or 5 too many slow mo moments. The queen's dwarf minion guy can also be a jarring shift of tone in some scenes. And the child actors (again, while fine) are not the most interesting part of the film but the film does revolve around largely around them and their individual story arcs... I bought Edmund's, and Lucy remained innocent throughout... but they could have worked a bit more on making Peter and Susan's more impactful (though they did do so by the time the sequel film rolled around).

So I'm giving it a 4 star. For "has typical restrictions of child actors but still manages to be entertaining and have some genuinely good moments."
December 21, 2017
Very close to the original book with minimum changes, the first Narnia movie is a superb beginning for the saga.
½ December 10, 2017
Very original and creative and with an excellent graphics. Good cast and an amazing screenplay. Movie with good special effects!
½ November 27, 2017
It was great to see an award winning book turned into a solid children's fantasy film. Especially to kick off the first movie in the Narnia franchise. I never would have guessed the movie was from 2005 considering that the special effects were so exceptional. The casting I believe was just as good. Tilda Swinton made a great White Witch and Liam Neeson nailed his role as Aslan capturing the selfless beast he was meant to be. Though the movie was fairly long, certain scenes did move rather quickly. Select portions of the storyline passed by too quickly in the film like the ending fight scene between the White Witch's army and that of Aslan's. Also, more time could have been put into the training of Peter becoming a warrior instead of him hardly knowing how to use a sword against a wolf in one scene and being able to slay many of the witch's experienced army himself the next. All in all, it was still a great movie that I enjoyed very much and I'm looking forward to seeing the latest expansion in the franchise, The Silver Chair.
November 25, 2017
Based on C.S. Lewis' source material, the film dazzles with special effects that will strike accord with adults and children as it discusses the mythology and religious values of family, bravery, and loyalty. While not nearly as profound nor thrilling as other fantasy films of the alike (ex. "Harry Potter" and "Lord of the Rings"), the film plays it safe with a PG rating.
½ October 31, 2017
People tell me it's quite good
½ October 6, 2017
Boring the audience with dignity, good taste, inert pacing and big clanking plot mechanisms.
October 1, 2017
excellent movie!!!:)
½ September 2, 2017
A fairytale that have been books and now they have made the movies of it. It's a good family movie to see
July 24, 2017
Staying true to the source material, top notch visuals, and grand battles, the first Narnia is a magical fantasy tale.
Page 1 of 42010