The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe Reviews

Page 1 of 42008
January 20, 2017
Narnia is an example of a great concept poorly executed. With strange scenes that don't add up, poor acting, and simple editing mistakes, Narnia is frustrating to watch, but the majority of the storytelling makes up for this.
January 14, 2017
It's technically marvelous and steadily directed, but it falls short in its reliance on its child stars that more often than not, collapse under the weight.
January 13, 2017
Narnia for me is a very good film to watch.
January 12, 2017
Classic. Watch the now hard to find Extended Cut if you have a choice in the matter. On Blu-Ray.
½ January 4, 2017
The fighting was sick in this too, with the Gryphons, Lions and horseman and stuff. This movie woulda kicked ass if it were Rated R.
January 1, 2017
Let me say up front. Narnia was a great movie. Full of cool special effects, great performances (I especially like Tilda Swinton in anything she does) and just the overall feeling one gets from the movie. But then, just dissecting it, and figuring out what it all means, was my next step. I mean, the biblical connections were obvious. But then I started thinking about the closet (well, the wardrobe) and then I wondered..

Is Narnia one big gay film? The kids go into the closet, close it, and are instantly transformed where everything is magical (and excuse the expression fairy-like) where everything is wonderful, just as long as you keep everything closeted. Oh yes, there will be people like the ice queen (read neo-conservatives) that will try to put a stop to the magic, so we'll have to band together to fight the bigotry!

Rewatch notes - LOL at the above review. I forgot about that one. Anyways, Saw all the versions, aka, the cartoon, and the miniseries, and this version is easily the best, by a country mile.
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
December 28, 2016
Despite a somewhat slow beginning, the film is one of the most beautiful adaption from the novel currently in existence with stunning effects and a well-written storytelling for all the family.
December 21, 2016
This was a really good movie. I must admit that I've never read the books. It was an exciting, fun movie though. A little long though in my opinion, hence the two star reduction.
December 19, 2016
The Chronicles of Narnia captivates all viewers no matter what age. A fulfilling tale for all with wondrous, detailed fantasy material along with well scripted dialog and action.
½ December 6, 2016
With an award winning special effects crew and an exciting fantasy story, "The Chronicles of Narnia" is a fun and exciting ride.

C.S. Lewis' timeless adventure "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" follows the exploits of the four Pevensie siblings -- Lucy, Edmund, Susan and Peter -- in World War II England who enter the world of Narnia through a magical wardrobe while playing a game of 'hide-and-seek' in the rural country home of an elderly professor. Once there, the children discover a charming, peaceful land inhabited by talking beasts, dwarfs, fauns, centaurs and giants that has become a world cursed to eternal winter by the evil White Witch, Jadis. Under the guidance of a noble and mystical ruler, the lion Aslan, the children fight to overcome the White Witch's powerful hold over Narnia in a spectacular, climactic battle that will free Narnia from Jadis' icy spell forever.

If you're unaware of this fact by this point, this film actually received an Oscar for its special effects crew, and well deserved it is. The costumes in this movie were pretty amazing and everything looked really good. The CGI was spotty at times, but that's more because this movie is becoming dated. But the practical effects were so impressive that it really made the movie a new experience. This movie is so memorable and it does such a great job at establishing this new world, all because of the excellent costumes. It felt like we were truly in a magical land just based on how everything looked.

The overall story is fun and exciting, even if it's not the most complete. Some parts are very rushed and poorly written but in the overall scheme of things, the film is really fun. This is a family movie that kids and adults can find enjoyment in, even if it is a bit dark for kids at times. The family aspect was one of the more interesting parts of the story, I just wish it was handled with a little more seriousness.

The cast in this movie was solid for the most part. In a movie with children as the primary leads, the child actors have to be above average in order to be at least average in cinema, if that makes sense. Everyone here did a solid job, but no one had any stand out performances by any means.

Like I also said, the CGI is a bit spotty at times. There are some obvious uses of green screen and the CGI was a bit painful sometimes. This movie was made more than a decade ago so I'll give it that, but it still struggled in that department.

The finale was the thing I was looking forward to most, but it was much more underwhelming than I recall it to be. The huge action scene was much shorter and more awkward than I remember it being, and it seemed like the finale never knew what it wanted to focus on. In fact, the movie never really realized what it wanted to focus on most. It had a little trouble staying on track, putting less attention on the things we wanted the most.

In the end, this film was a solid, fun fantasy ride with plenty going for it. It's a great action movie for your kids, with just enough darkness and seriousness to keep adults entertained.
November 26, 2016
The first 30 min or so are the best. Rad special effects. However I confess that I have no strength to watch death of Aslan and I hope I'm not the only one. Out of all the animal deaths in any movie like ever, his is by far the absolute sickest and hit me in places I never knew I had. F*cking hate that witch. My fourth grade teacher (I'm now 29) read aloud the BOOK and had to give it to the student teacher at that part and I don't blame her in the least.
½ November 25, 2016
Boring the audience with dignity, good taste, inert pacing and big clanking plot mechanisms.
½ November 24, 2016
The graphics look amazing and the way they introduce this enchanting and magical world feels like a Harry Potter movie! But sometimes Lucy, Edmund, Susan and Peters actions can make you cringe and the introduction feels like it takes forever
½ November 11, 2016
Eh. Was ok. The children are hard to watch. Extremely annoying
½ October 5, 2016
Enjoyed the book as a kid. The movie is okay but I would have enjoyed seeing a storyline with more intimate character building. Also, trying to approach this stylistically as an epic watered it down way too much.
½ September 22, 2016
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is sometimes overly extended and the child performances aren't great, but this is such a wonderfully faithful adaptation filled with absolutely stunning special effects, a great work from Tilda Swinton and Liam Neeson, superbly executed action sequences and a moving and epic feel to it. It is an immensely satisfying adaptation of a classic book and such a frustratingly underrated film.
September 13, 2016
Not bad. A little boring at times it feels like Harry Potter.
September 2, 2016
Embarrassing but I actually really like this movie!!
Page 1 of 42008