The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe Reviews

Page 1 of 42009
December 31, 2017
Having rewatched this movie tonight, I can honestly say it is one of my favorites of all time. Ninety percent true to the book as well. Technically a well-made movie. The message is awesome. I think that C.S. Lewis would have been proud of it had he lived to see it.
December 31, 2017
Pretty straight forward, but nonetheless quite a visionary tale, whether it'd be the book or this film. Well done effects, good cast, and a strange but pretty epic story.
December 21, 2017
I watched this again recently after years of not seeing it and was pretty impressed by how well the CGI has held up. Sure some of it is a bit noticeable (most noteably on the beavers) but the centaurs STILL look great and overall it's a well crafted film, technically.

The child actors do a decent job as well. Some better than others and some scenes better than others, but hey--they're child actors. Pretty much any time a child actor can pull off a decent performance I count that as a positive in my book. But without a doubt the best part of this film is the ice queen! Her costuming, her demenour, her freaking awesome battle armor... she's just fun to watch in every scene she's in. Mr. Tumnus, too, is clearly one of the highlights of the film and every scene he's in feels so genuine.

The negatives: Probably 4 or 5 too many slow mo moments. The queen's dwarf minion guy can also be a jarring shift of tone in some scenes. And the child actors (again, while fine) are not the most interesting part of the film but the film does revolve around largely around them and their individual story arcs... I bought Edmund's, and Lucy remained innocent throughout... but they could have worked a bit more on making Peter and Susan's more impactful (though they did do so by the time the sequel film rolled around).

So I'm giving it a 4 star. For "has typical restrictions of child actors but still manages to be entertaining and have some genuinely good moments."
December 21, 2017
Very close to the original book with minimum changes, the first Narnia movie is a superb beginning for the saga.
½ December 10, 2017
Very original and creative and with an excellent graphics. Good cast and an amazing screenplay. Movie with good special effects!
½ November 27, 2017
It was great to see an award winning book turned into a solid children's fantasy film. Especially to kick off the first movie in the Narnia franchise. I never would have guessed the movie was from 2005 considering that the special effects were so exceptional. The casting I believe was just as good. Tilda Swinton made a great White Witch and Liam Neeson nailed his role as Aslan capturing the selfless beast he was meant to be. Though the movie was fairly long, certain scenes did move rather quickly. Select portions of the storyline passed by too quickly in the film like the ending fight scene between the White Witch's army and that of Aslan's. Also, more time could have been put into the training of Peter becoming a warrior instead of him hardly knowing how to use a sword against a wolf in one scene and being able to slay many of the witch's experienced army himself the next. All in all, it was still a great movie that I enjoyed very much and I'm looking forward to seeing the latest expansion in the franchise, The Silver Chair.
November 25, 2017
Based on C.S. Lewis' source material, the film dazzles with special effects that will strike accord with adults and children as it discusses the mythology and religious values of family, bravery, and loyalty. While not nearly as profound nor thrilling as other fantasy films of the alike (ex. "Harry Potter" and "Lord of the Rings"), the film plays it safe with a PG rating.
½ October 31, 2017
People tell me it's quite good
½ October 6, 2017
Boring the audience with dignity, good taste, inert pacing and big clanking plot mechanisms.
October 1, 2017
excellent movie!!!:)
½ September 2, 2017
A fairytale that have been books and now they have made the movies of it. It's a good family movie to see
July 24, 2017
Staying true to the source material, top notch visuals, and grand battles, the first Narnia is a magical fantasy tale.
July 15, 2017
Loved this when I was a kid and still love it
July 9, 2017
I love the movie with a good plot and good graphics. It have capture my attention.
June 27, 2017
B+
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is a solid fantasy movie that keeps the viewer interested throughout. With outstanding action and awesome creatures, Narnia is a less complex fantasy movie that will leave you happy you watched it by the end.
½ June 17, 2017
Exceptional adaptation of the classic story by CS Lewis. All around very good performances and outstanding special effects. Tilda Swinton as the White Queen is a standout!
June 14, 2017
Does NOT do the books any justice.
June 1, 2017
The book was good and this fallowed the book almost perfectly so the story and actoin flowed together.
½ June 1, 2017
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is a wonderful tale and this live-action version lives up to the task. A stirring film that accomplishes much and brings alive the fantasy and magic of Narnia.
May 17, 2017
Read the books! And now it has become a movie it's a good fairytale movie however I do like the second one more.
Page 1 of 42009