Citizen Kane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Citizen Kane Reviews

January 22, 2017
Why is Citizen Kane forever referred to - almost incessantly - as the greatest movie ever made? Because it has just about the best cast, screenplay, cameraman and guts of any film out there to tell a story about the reality of our lives as they actually are and not as we'd want them to be. A film made from ignorance, it sure has enlightened everyone who's seen it in it's black and white glory. It's a mystery. No, a comedy. It's a romance. A biography. A horror. An experimental film. A masterpiece. It's ... one of the great experiences in the history of the cinema.
January 19, 2017
No way is this the greatest film ever! The Emporer is naked people. For the most part, this movie is a black and white bore. It's only saving grace are the lessons about opulence, and finally finding out what rosebud is all about.
January 14, 2017
Is it the most entertaining film? No. Is it a thought provoking film? Hell yes. Although most millennials wouldn't particularly enjoy this masterpiece, they should know that this might be the most influential film of all time. This film had cemented Orson Welles's legacy as a filmmaking legend.
½ January 14, 2017
At it's time it was 5 stars. Now i grade on it's watchability rate. And 4 and a half stars aint too shabby.
½ January 7, 2017
4 1/2 Stars. Timeless in structure and storytelling. I don't think it's the greatest film of all time but that's just me personally. I completely get why it does end up being on so many best of lists, though. Maybe Roger Ebert can persuade me why it's the greatest film of all time. I'll have to give his commentary a watch someday soon here.
January 3, 2017
I can see how this movie was revolutionary in visual style,but I never get why people are calling it the best movie of all time. It was good. Very very good. But best movie of all time? I just don't get it.
January 3, 2017
"Mr Kane was a man who had everything, maybe Rosebud was something he lost or couldn't get".

That's right!

He was a humble man, he was a King, he was a thatchiest, he was a thinker, he was an asshole - but an American. Charles Foster Kane was a future president to the public and an arrogant man to those closest to him, yet despite that he was a man we all could admire and feel sorry for.

All he wanted in the end... was just to go back to who he once was, a boy and his snow sled.
December 29, 2016
I'm supposed to like this movie but I don't care.
December 14, 2016
Citizen Kane, is a perfect film in every regard, the acting is incredible with very layered character work, a incredible story with a shocking ending, and near perfect writing that complements every aspect of the film, Citizen Kane is a must watch for everyone even though the movie feels slightly aged.
½ December 7, 2016
We kept waiting for it to get interesting, after over an hour it still wasn't interesting, so we turned it off !
November 25, 2016
In my opinion, the best picture on the history
November 24, 2016
Contributions to cinematography, editing, and sound aside, Citizen Kane is fantastic and engrossing. Not one minute of its runtime is a dull one.
November 19, 2016
I can see why people call this one of the greatest films of all time. The story is interesting, cinematography is excellent, acting is fantastic, editing is great, and is not boring at all. It keeps you interested in the story (if your used to slow films like me). If you haven't seen it, you really should check it out, you won't regret it!
November 8, 2016
The greatest film ever made. Period
½ November 6, 2016
It is not hard to see why this is considered to be one of cinema's greatest movies ever made as this movie hits every element perfectly.

After a wealthy newspaper tycoon dies, journalists scramble to find out the meaning of his last word "Rosebud". Then we see the history of his life and everything he encountered throughout it.

The acting is magnificent. Especially coming from Orson Welles who in my opinion gave one of the best performances ever put on screen. But every other actor offers something great to the movie and not a single one of the main actors did a weak job acting. They all gave strong performances.

Wells direction is terrific and he is able to use basic elements to craft something truly brilliant with this picture. His work behind the camera is immaculate and it brings the viewer into a truly special experience.

This movie is engaging from the very first scene. Some people may not like the talk heavy dialogue but if you like slow paced movies (which I usually do) then it shouldn't bother you.

This movie has stood the test of time. It has aged well and it shows no sign of losing popularity. Is it one of my favorite movies of all time? No, but the reason it gets a 10/10 is because of its impact on cinema and how much it contributed to it. The only American film which comes close to topping this masterpiece is "The Godfather".
November 4, 2016
At long last, I've seen the film that started it all, and boy oh boy was I impressed. Technically it was stunning, it was cleverly edited, it had some excellent acting, and holy moly Orson Welles was charismatic as fuck. Not only was he a stellar actor, but his direction was impeccable. And all at the age of 25 - swoon. There is no question as to why this is considered to be one of the most innovative films of all time; it set the bar high and dared all other movies to just try and raise it.
½ November 4, 2016
For 1941, it was good
October 22, 2016
There is no doubt that this movie has a strong literary quality to it - a literary quality not unlike the days of old and the romantic writers. There is also a cinematography to this film that really blows anything around its time period out of the water.

There are a lot of things that people could get in to about this film - although I'm sure some of them would find it a bit long and this is just another re-incarnation of the "who done it" film. Which I'm sure was fun at the time but few of this modern age have the patience for that kind of thing without some other kind of quality getting them through the film.

Another interesting thing is that the main character changes as a person throughout the film (but not necessarily throughout his life chronologically). We as an audience have a different idea about who he is at the end than we thought we did at the beginning. It's as if we learn about him and our view changes of him as the reporters does. This may seem unremarkable but it is truly more fluid and done in such a different way than any other film I have seen.
½ October 14, 2016
Well-made film, but it doesn't stand the test of time like the Hitchcock movies in my opinion. Maybe we've all just made fun of this iconic movie, or it just holds onto a very specific old style and some cliches. Sometimes though, it's just plain hard to get past the weird cuts and edits. I also don't care for the message--which almost seems to be a cynical idea that time makes us all despicable jerks. Maybe I just haven't dived into it deep enough, but it's difficult for me to understand motivation for half the things Kane does, let alone sympathize with any of it.