Citizen Kane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Citizen Kane Reviews

September 10, 2017
Citizen Kane (1941) Has a tremendous history of being called one of the greatest movie of all time. This is mainly because of the films innovations; as well as changing the form of cinema. Charles Foster Kane (Orson Welles) is a character who feels that achievement is everything in life, yet at some point something is bound to happen; causing Kane's situation to be shifted. Welles had no clue how to make movies. Fortunately for him, he watched (or in this case study) a western classic by John Ford entitled, Stagecoach (1939) 40 times. Another history about this film is the fact that William Randolph Hearst was willing to ban the film by the media for infringing his life, which is some way failed. When I first saw this movie I was completely blown away by how fresh it was. Definitely a favorite!
½ September 7, 2017
Proactive, interesting and intense, this is how percolating drama, consistent acting, ground breaking camber work, and the ultimate in B&W cinema can be played to the hilt.
September 5, 2017
The most exciting narrative story about the meaning of life
September 3, 2017
Disgusting. Not appropriate for children or adults. This should be banned in the United States and Canada and Brazil and Ukraine. After purchasing and watching this movie on google docs, I have to say I am scarred for life. The message is negative and not a good influence on the wee ones. I recommend that if you have a copy of this movie anywhere, (Blu-Ray, DVD, VHS, Nintendo Wii, etc.) that you burn it, and just for good measure- burn your television and your eyes. Citizen Kane will forever be regarded as one of the worst movies in history. I am so glad Orson Welles went to prison and then the prison fell off a cliff into lava on the moon. Rest in absolute chaos, Mr. Welles.
September 1, 2017
'Citizen Kane' doesn't need any other praise (mine especially) for its reputation. But it's such a FILM that I have to write one. When I first saw it I had no technical awareness of its genius, what I saw was a sensational use of light and dark shot by a sublime camerawork in an inventiveness that is astonishing with modernity even a 21st century audience, an indecent maturity in the acting and directing of a 26-year old Welles, and an extraordinarily innovating non-linear structure, telling with dexterity a tale. And what a tale! The expressive and thought-provoking tale of successful Charles Foster Kane from its childhood to its death (which are shown to be connected), and whose first and final 'Rosebud' comes to crown 'Citizen Kane' as not merely a cinematic apotheosis, but an unforgettable work of art. Is it the greatest film of all time? I dislike that expression, it doesn't make any sense. 'Citizen Kane' deserves better - like to be called a Grand Film.
August 27, 2017
This Turned 75 Years Old Last Year In 2016.
August 27, 2017
I can appreciate this film for its brilliance in cinematography and overall moral (Rosebud), but I fail to see why it is considered arguably the most pristine cinematic accomplishment of all time.
August 24, 2017
No, it's not the greatest film of all time, but certainly the greatest template for greater films, a movie that has been used as a foundation for film construction for years and years to come. As to whether or not it's ahead of its time is a tough question, I guess the inferior film "Rebecca" is more modern in style, but the substance in Citizen Kane is more refreshing and influential. Still impulsively watchable and not boring like some mainstream moviegoers will tell you.
August 17, 2017
It's not hard to see why people love this movie so much!
August 13, 2017
Purported to be one of the greatest films of all time. I've heard about this movie for years but I didn't see it until now. It was directed by Orson Welles and he also plays the leading character. It chronicles the life of a rich and powerful newspaper publisher Charles Foster Kane. It is told in a series of flashbacks. A reporter is charged with finding out what Kane's last dying word "rosebud" means thus he begins to investigate Kane's life history. The film's character Kane is based on a composite of publisher William Randolph Hearst and Chicago tycoons Samuel Insull and Harold McCormick. Hearst forbid the mention of the film in any of his newspapers that he published.
August 10, 2017
Easily the greatest film in American History
½ August 8, 2017
It's hard to write a review on what is rightfully considered one of the best films of all time. Citizen Kane has helped defined what film: can be since 1941, using groundbreaking visuals and cinematography to tell the rise, and inevitable fall of the newspaper tycoon Charles Foster Kane.

Welle's does a great job not just behind the camera, but in front of it as well. Turning in a fantastic performance as the main character, adjusting his actions, and speech to his age perfectly. Making him go from someone the audience roots for, to an incredibly selfish, and abusive monster of a man.

The script is nicely written, and serves up a classic cautionary tale about the dangers of wealth and power. Showing how easily they can corrupt someone with even the best intentions. It's something that Will always be relevant to society, and will always apply to anyone that gets their hands on too much money.

Even the make up for the characters as they age looks great most of the time, making this years long journey even more believable than it should be. It looks a bit corny at times, but mostly comes through impressively authentic.

Citizen Kane is a landmark film, every film lover really should see. If you haven't seen it yet you're depriving yourself of one of cinemas earliest masterpieces. See it.
½ August 8, 2017
These classics are freaking overrated and boring. These are not my types of movies.
½ August 6, 2017
The most pretentious overrated movie ever made.
August 4, 2017
Clearly ahead of it's time, Citizen Kane is THE greatest movie of all time
½ July 28, 2017
Most overrated movie of all time.
July 27, 2017
O Santo Graal, imune a qualquer critica. Não é o melhor filme que eu já vi, e nem o segundo, o queridinho dos críticos e campeão de listas, não deu um soco na minha cara ou me sequestrou por duas horas mas é sim um excelentíssimo filme e igualmente marcante. Citizen Kane é um drama com suspense cravado na sua medula, lançado em 1941 fruto da mente brilhante de Orson Welles que produziu, dirigiu e atuou, o restante do elenco se resumi a novatos como: Joseph Cotten, Dorothy Comingore e Agnes Moorehead. Citizen Kane é o primeior filme de Welles e foi indicado a nove oscar, vencendo na categoria melhor roteiro.
Após o sucesso de Welles no teatro com a companhia Mercury Theatre e sua controversa transmissão de rádio de A Guerra dos Mundos, em 1938, Hollywood o acolheu. Ele assinou um contrato com a RKO Pictures em 1939. Foi-lhe dada a liberdade para desenvolver sua própria história e usar seu próprio elenco e da equipe, o que é raro para um novo diretor. Depois de duas tentativas frustradas para realizar um projeto, desenvolveu o roteiro de Citizen Kane com Herman Mankiewicz.
A história examina a vida e legado de Charles Foster Kane, um personagem interpretado por Welles e com base no magnata da imprensa William Randolph Hearst e do próprio Orson Welles. Durante seu lançamento, Hearst proibiu de mencionar o filme em seus jornais. A carreira de Kane na indústria editorial nasceu do idealismo e do serviço social, mas gradualmente se transformou em uma perseguição implacável ao poder. Narrado principalmente através de flashbacks, a história é contada por meio da investigação de um jornalista que quer saber o significado da última palavra que ele disse antes do magnata morrer: Rosebud.
July 20, 2017
This movie goes through one man's life in a melancholy way, providing a great story going through Charles Foster Kane's last words. This is one of the best films ever made.
July 8, 2017
Saying Citizen Kane is one of, if not, the greatest films of all time is just stating the obvious. Moreover, it's a lesson in that one can have all the material possessions the world has to offer, yet still be empty, incomplete, and, ultimately, alone.