Citizen Kane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Citizen Kane Reviews

July 25, 2016
Visually beautiful, gorgeous use of light, shadow and depth. There is so much to look at in almost every scene.

I'm perhaps fairly naÔve when it comes to filmmaking, and I can appreciate the high acclaim for the visually technical aspects of the film, but stories about rich people who squander their money in pursuit of acceptance just seem to leave me cold.

I wasn't bored by the film, for it was visually beautiful. But I found I was much more interested in what I was seeing than by what I was being told.

Joseph Cotten I thought was really cool in this, and more likable than Welles, as he was for me in The Third Man.
July 19, 2016
It is not hard to see why this is considered to be one of cinema's greatest movies ever made as this movie hits every element perfectly.

After a wealthy newspaper tycoon dies, journalists scramble to find out the meaning of his last word "Rosebud". Then we see the history of his life and everything he encountered throughout it.

The acting is magnificent. Especially coming from Orson Welles who in my opinion gave one of the best performances ever put on screen. But every other actor offers something great to the movie and not a single one of the main actors did a weak job acting. They all gave strong performances.

Wells direction is terrific and he is able to use basic elements to craft something truly brilliant with this picture. His work behind the camera is immaculate and it brings the viewer into a truly special experience.

This movie is engaging from the very first scene. Some people may not like the talk heavy dialogue but if you like slow paced movies (which I usually do) then it shouldn't bother you.

This movie has stood the test of time. It has aged well and it shows no sign of losing popularity. Is it one of my favorite movies of all time? No, but the reason it gets a 10/10 is because of its impact on cinema and how much it contributed to it. The only American film which comes close to topping this masterpiece is "The Godfather".
July 10, 2016
The most over rated film of all time. I gave it an extra star for being important to film history, but it doesn't even come close to standing the test of time. It's really really boring. No one in it can act.
½ July 5, 2016
Arguably a milestone in filmmaking, Citizen Kane boasts technical prowess, groundbreaking direction and storytelling from Orson Welles in a striking debut.
June 29, 2016
All said "citizen Kane" is the greatest film of all time!!!

Grade
A perfect 10
June 26, 2016
What can i say about the best movie of all time? Is good. is really really good.
June 25, 2016
Hits all the things to make a great film. Great acting, great storytelling, great editing, and groundbreaking directing.
Film C.
June 25, 2016
Orson Welles appeared on-screen in this, wrote and directed the film when he was quite young, about 24 and a half. His first feature becomes a landmark of a masterpiece for the last 75 years ago. There must be a 75th Anniversary re-release of this film.
June 23, 2016
Masterpiece. A true work of genious.
June 23, 2016
A classic movie showing what how ambition and success do not necessarily bring happiness
June 20, 2016
I watched this movie for the first time at 23 years old after hearing how it was a work of cinematic art. After watching, I thoroughly agree. Some of the shots in this movie are amazing and awe-inspiring. Knowing the end of the movie does take away from some of the movie in ways, but it also adds to the futility of the search.

Truly a classic, nothing else needs to be said.
June 19, 2016
i figured it was about time i watch this; and since the previous film i watched premiered the famous Orson Welles, it seemed like a good segue to watch this one next. again, i can see why this film is and was so popular during its time period. a lot of movies & tv shows reference this film and the contents in it, so i kinda knew the story before i watched this anyways, which maybe dulled my opinion of it a bit -- i thought it was fine, but i don't feel particularly liberated or anything from watching it. but again, this was released 75 years ago -- it's really quite awesome that modern film still alludes it.
½ June 17, 2016
Garbage that is all I can say 3 hours to find out rosebud was a snow sled. long drawn out garbage. You cannot say you are love films if you love this movie is crap from beginning to the end I have suffered watching it several times its crap.
½ June 16, 2016
Another movie where the history counts for most of the praise. The rise and fall of Charlie Kane and his unfulfilled boyhood love. Must have been very unique at the time
½ June 10, 2016
Surely, a landmark contribution to cinema, such a masterpiece!
June 5, 2016
I've been wondering if anyone would go after Rupert Murdoch the way Orson Welles went after Hearst, but a remake of this would undoubtedly fail hard considering the genius of the original.
½ June 5, 2016
Orson Welles's masterpiece is the greatest movie ever to be produced in Hollywood.
June 4, 2016
Brilliant, challenging, and electric.
June 3, 2016
This is easily my favorite movie of all time, incidentally it's also one of the most innovative movies of all time. I can watch this movie billions of times, and already have.
½ June 2, 2016
The most awaited film. I've heard about this film by many film enthusiasts for about a few months now. After watching a lot of films, I especially loved conventional opening shots, Black & White film, drama and title card.
The plot is unique and the 'missing part' of the puzzle kept me waiting curiously till the climax. Kane's character is built slowly and with different perspectives. People who knew Kane shares their experience or moments spent with him which I think is the most powerful way to portray a person. This is similar to averaging grades or marks; The craving to know about "Rosebud" takes us to a journey of Kane's life. Sequences are very well placed, Kane's second wife only opens up to Thomas in the second encounter, which adds a dimension to the film, not revealing the crucial part of Kane's life. A documentary about Xanadu's empire feeds the viewers about the background, very well placed and in an innovative way. Kane's hobbies and ideology somehow creates curiosity, which is responsible for glued audiences.
Lighting in this film is very well made, it may be usage of natural light or arrangement, I just loved it. Some of the shots for instance, exterior to interior of the bar; so well made, it is definitely "out of the box" or special to me (during 1940's). Few scenes are morphed well (Present to the past) using windows or doors, etc. makes or creates an illusion of seamless shot (editing).
[SPOILER ALERT]
In a canvas, it feels like Kane had a revenge on his foster father (May be); also many have interpreted "Rosebud" was his youth, happiness or freedom feels right to me too. At the moment of revealing "Rosebud" burning in a furnace, I related it to a mirror which would connect to me as, "Kane could not get himself or lost himself".