Citizen Kane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Citizen Kane Reviews

½ October 14, 2016
Well-made film, but it doesn't stand the test of time like the Hitchcock movies in my opinion. Maybe we've all just made fun of this iconic movie, or it just holds onto a very specific old style and some cliches. Sometimes though, it's just plain hard to get past the weird cuts and edits. I also don't care for the message--which almost seems to be a cynical idea that time makes us all despicable jerks. Maybe I just haven't dived into it deep enough, but it's difficult for me to understand motivation for half the things Kane does, let alone sympathize with any of it.
October 1, 2016
"Mr Kane was a man who had everything, maybe Rosebud was something he lost or couldn't get". Dame right. He was a humble man, he was a King, he was a thatchiest, he was an asshole- but an American. Charles Foster Kane was a future president to the public and an arrogant man to those closest to him, yet despite that he was a man we all could admire and feel sorry for. All he wanted in the end... was just to go back to who he once was, a boy and his snow sled.
September 29, 2016
Best picture on the history
September 27, 2016
What the hell do I say? Greatest Motion Picture ever made, If you haven't seen it, stop reading this damn review and sit down and watch one hour and fifty eight minutes of pure genius.
September 25, 2016
born too late !! such a wonderful movie
September 23, 2016
It is amazing how this film remains enjoyable today. Very few of movies this old are this timeless.
September 21, 2016
Supposà (C)ment LE meilleur film amà (C)ricain de tout les temps ...
½ September 19, 2016
Citizen Kane is one of those rare films where I appreciate the craftsmanship, admire the performances, applaud how it influenced cinema, but simultaneously don't love the story. I think there is a lot of great things going on in this script, and I see what they're trying to do, but I experienced a notable disconnect with the characters in the film. I acknowledge that they made a good choice introducing us to Kane as a young boy and showing how he developed into an aggressive but relatively noble young man. At this point I should be sympathizing with him, and have the same connection back to the innocence of his childhood that he had when he grew into a (seemingly) heartless tycoon. Yet for some reason I didn't make that connection, perhaps it was the short length of so many of the flashbacks which made it hard for me to relax and really get to know the characters. Naturally, since Citizen Kane is often considered one of the greatest movies of all time I feel compelled to defend my opinion simply because I'm not praising it on that level. However, there was so much that I thought was fabulous in the film. The composition of the shots was remarkable and clearly was planned out perfectly. The use of light and shadows was tremendous. The set design conveyed things to the audience without needing extra dialogue. There was so much that is right in this film that it seems a shame I instantly jump to the defensive and search for nitpicks. I wonder if, with more views I might embrace Citizen Kane even more. However, on my first watch I can see why it is so highly regarded but I can't lift it up to that height myself.
September 16, 2016
Finally got to see one of the best ever. Not sure about that but it was highly engaging and entertaining.
½ September 13, 2016
i get that this is supposed to be some kind of great movie. but it simply isn't a movie for... people. my girlfriend just pointed out that this movie was 1 hour and 59 miniutes, which, i swear, is funny because describing it to here i honestly thought it was four. Essentially what I'm saying is this needs more explosions. Seriously though, i get that it was a movie about the pain of growing old and so on, i got that message really viscerally because i grew older watching this movie and it was very painful. I'll put it this way, if you went out tonight and paid 15 bucks for a movie ticket and whatever else and then slept through this creeper my money is on you being pissed that you wasted good money and 4 hours of your life. Now, its not the worst movie i have ever seen, i think that honor goes to either the my little ponie movie, whitechicks, wickerman or that first twilight movie, but if any of those movies had had a famous director behind it, lasted 4 hours, and been filmed in black and white im sure they would have had a shot at being 'the greatest movie of all time"... just like this one.
September 11, 2016
Una verdadera obra de arte. El personaje deja un gran mensaje, su profundidad es tan perfecta que incluso sientes por él, o por lo menos te hace algún sentimiento o pensamiento. Visualmente es perfecta, con un conjunto de imágenes bien trabajados. Historia impecable. El manejo del tiempo es único. Esta película es uno de los productos artísticos y perfectos de la cinematografía, que quedarán en la memoria e historia de la humanidad
September 10, 2016
I've finally watched the masterpiece of a film that is Citizen Kane, and let me tell you one thing: all the praise this film gets is VERY VERY VERY well deserved.
September 7, 2016
One of the best ever.
September 3, 2016
You have to watch this movie.
September 3, 2016
Everything about Citizen Kane is film done the right way, even 75 years after the fact.
August 28, 2016

This was a great movie but it's not the greatest movie of all time like people say it is.The camerawork is great and the story keeps you constantly engaged as you watch a man reach success just before his life completely falls apart.I also really like how it ended.I highly recommend this movie.
August 28, 2016
As a 28 year old, i just watched this movie last night. I can't believe how absolutely stunning it was, i was like a Deer trapped in the headlights, i could not look away. Amazing DoP and Camera work for the time.
The narrative is very engaging,It sinks its hooks in and does not let go for the entirety of the film. the characters and dialogue are incredibly well written and acted.
In short, this is a new Favourite of mine, topping the top 5 list of my all time greatest movies. Up their with The Shawshank Redemption and The Godfather.
Do not be put off via the Black and White, This is surely one of the greatest movies ever made and you would be a fool to miss it for something so vein.

9.8/10 Stars!
Simply a Brilliant piece of not only film.. but art.
August 16, 2016
Reviewing this in today's standards (as I am not a film student, but rather I enjoy good films very much), this movie is boring and pointless. I appreciate the historic aspects of it and the groundbreaking cinematography and production, but it's just not worth my time in these days.
August 16, 2016
award-winning & historic cinematic classic from 1941 that I've been hunting for years. Phenomenal acting by Orson Welles. What an epic.
August 15, 2016
Beautiful imagery and camerawork with a compelling plot and style of storytelling