Citizen Kane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Citizen Kane Reviews

August 18, 2017
This Is My Favorite Film Of All Time.
August 17, 2017
It's not hard to see why people love this movie so much!
August 13, 2017
Purported to be one of the greatest films of all time. I've heard about this movie for years but I didn't see it until now. It was directed by Orson Welles and he also plays the leading character. It chronicles the life of a rich and powerful newspaper publisher Charles Foster Kane. It is told in a series of flashbacks. A reporter is charged with finding out what Kane's last dying word "rosebud" means thus he begins to investigate Kane's life history. The film's character Kane is based on a composite of publisher William Randolph Hearst and Chicago tycoons Samuel Insull and Harold McCormick. Hearst forbid the mention of the film in any of his newspapers that he published.
August 10, 2017
Easily the greatest film in American History
½ August 8, 2017
It's hard to write a review on what is rightfully considered one of the best films of all time. Citizen Kane has helped defined what film: can be since 1941, using groundbreaking visuals and cinematography to tell the rise, and inevitable fall of the newspaper tycoon Charles Foster Kane.

Welle's does a great job not just behind the camera, but in front of it as well. Turning in a fantastic performance as the main character, adjusting his actions, and speech to his age perfectly. Making him go from someone the audience roots for, to an incredibly selfish, and abusive monster of a man.

The script is nicely written, and serves up a classic cautionary tale about the dangers of wealth and power. Showing how easily they can corrupt someone with even the best intentions. It's something that Will always be relevant to society, and will always apply to anyone that gets their hands on too much money.

Even the make up for the characters as they age looks great most of the time, making this years long journey even more believable than it should be. It looks a bit corny at times, but mostly comes through impressively authentic.

Citizen Kane is a landmark film, every film lover really should see. If you haven't seen it yet you're depriving yourself of one of cinemas earliest masterpieces. See it.
½ August 8, 2017
These classics are freaking overrated and boring. These are not my types of movies.
½ August 6, 2017
The most pretentious overrated movie ever made.
August 4, 2017
Clearly ahead of it's time, Citizen Kane is THE greatest movie of all time
½ July 28, 2017
Most overrated movie of all time.
July 27, 2017
O Santo Graal, imune a qualquer critica. Não é o melhor filme que eu já vi, e nem o segundo, o queridinho dos críticos e campeão de listas, não deu um soco na minha cara ou me sequestrou por duas horas mas é sim um excelentíssimo filme e igualmente marcante. Citizen Kane é um drama com suspense cravado na sua medula, lançado em 1941 fruto da mente brilhante de Orson Welles que produziu, dirigiu e atuou, o restante do elenco se resumi a novatos como: Joseph Cotten, Dorothy Comingore e Agnes Moorehead. Citizen Kane é o primeior filme de Welles e foi indicado a nove oscar, vencendo na categoria melhor roteiro.
Após o sucesso de Welles no teatro com a companhia Mercury Theatre e sua controversa transmissão de rádio de A Guerra dos Mundos, em 1938, Hollywood o acolheu. Ele assinou um contrato com a RKO Pictures em 1939. Foi-lhe dada a liberdade para desenvolver sua própria história e usar seu próprio elenco e da equipe, o que é raro para um novo diretor. Depois de duas tentativas frustradas para realizar um projeto, desenvolveu o roteiro de Citizen Kane com Herman Mankiewicz.
A história examina a vida e legado de Charles Foster Kane, um personagem interpretado por Welles e com base no magnata da imprensa William Randolph Hearst e do próprio Orson Welles. Durante seu lançamento, Hearst proibiu de mencionar o filme em seus jornais. A carreira de Kane na indústria editorial nasceu do idealismo e do serviço social, mas gradualmente se transformou em uma perseguição implacável ao poder. Narrado principalmente através de flashbacks, a história é contada por meio da investigação de um jornalista que quer saber o significado da última palavra que ele disse antes do magnata morrer: Rosebud.
July 20, 2017
This movie goes through one man's life in a melancholy way, providing a great story going through Charles Foster Kane's last words. This is one of the best films ever made.
July 8, 2017
Saying Citizen Kane is one of, if not, the greatest films of all time is just stating the obvious. Moreover, it's a lesson in that one can have all the material possessions the world has to offer, yet still be empty, incomplete, and, ultimately, alone.
½ July 5, 2017
I had always heard that this movie was the best movies of all time. Imagine my excitement when a new art house theater opened near me. I can honestly say this is the worst movie I've ever seen. Nice job critics on the 100% groupthink. I thought about asking for my money back but then decided not to confuse all the film students working there.
July 4, 2017
One of the if not the greatest movie of all time. The daringness and at the time recklessness changed cinema forever. Welles' performance continues to amaze 70+ years after. Screenplay, cinematography as good as it gets even though this was made in the 1940s.
July 2, 2017
Not sure why the high ratings but I found this to be a average to below average movie. I guess I was expecting too much.
June 27, 2017
Bravo! Despite Welles's lack of ability to entirely encapsulating me, Citizen Kane very much fine-art.
June 23, 2017
Citizen Kane is widely considered the best movie ever made, and it is not hard to see why. Citizen Kane gives us a unique and interesting story told in a new way that resembles modern cinema. It is truely a landmark in film making and a must watch for all.
June 23, 2017
June 21, 2017
Arguably the greatest movie ever made.