A Clockwork Orange - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Clockwork Orange Reviews

½ April 26, 2017
"A Clockwork Orange" is an interesting movie. I myself did not enjoy watching it. It is a very dystopian and improbable movie set in a supposed future. It is definitely disturbing and hard to watch as Alex, the protagonist, is celebrated for his craziness. Also, Stanley Kubrick's unique style makes this film hard to follow as there is a lot of constant symbolism. It is very creative in its plot and story line which is a major plus to the movie and makes it more enjoyable to watch due to the way it confronts violence (its main focus). Lastly, the performances, especially by Malcom McDowell, are phenomenal and give you a true perspective of the meaning of the film.
April 18, 2017
Are there any science fiction/futuristic films that don't have a cynical or dire viewpoint on the world and society as a whole? A Clockwork Orange is a cerebral look into a group of young males venture into ultraviolence and mass crime against the innocent. It's known for its deep themes and moralistic questions that it proposes. Oh, and it's pretty dark and haunting.

Although 30 years apart, A Clockwork Orange reminds me a lot of Requiem for a Dream. Both films explore a group of troubled young adults who get their hands far too deep into something dangerous. For Requiem it was drugs, Clockwork it was violence. Both films also do a nice job at miraculously making criminals likable, or at least people who you can have sympathy for. Most of all, both films are thought provoking pieces of art, but something that I never want to re-watch.

Clockwork particularly follows Alex DeLarge, a delinquent who takes a lot of joy out of committing crime. But his heinous crimes of rape and murder finally catch up to him and he's sent to jail, where an offer to rehabilitate and set him free catches his eye (pun intended). Before I get into the meat of what this film deals with, it's worth talking about Stanley Kubrick for a second. He's directed some of the most famous, and usually divisive, films of the 20th century. All visually stunning, thought provoking, and graphic in detail. A Clockwork Orange is all of those things, but there's no particular moment that I want to revisit, and perhaps that was Kubrick's intent. Perhaps, he wanted the audience to always feel uneasy and on the edge of their seat. Perhaps, Kubrick wanted us to go through a similar treatment to what Alex underwent. The Ludovico technique.

Kubrick has a knack for producing imagery that will never leave your mind. Just as I'll never look at hotel rooms the same after The Shining, or A.I. after 2001, I don't think I'll ever be able to erase the image of Alex brutally raping and murdering a woman while singing 'Singin' in the Rain'. Shocking, disturbing, you name it. That was an extremely powerful scene. That pretty much goes for the whole film as well. Malcom McDowell provides an engrossing and charismatic turn as Alex. I'm sure it's incredibly difficult to make this character someone who you actually root against and then subsequently root for, but he does it. And that's not even mentioning the difficult physicality of this role.

Overall, A Clockwork Orange is a film filled with deep and dark themes that will stick with you long after you see them. Great performances and great directing from Kubrick power the film through what should be purely exploitative, into something influential.

+McDowell's impressive performance physically and emotionally

+Thought provoking

+Haunting imagery

-Difficult to imagine myself ever revisiting it

8.0/10
April 5, 2017
As disturbing as a movie can get. We have A clockwork orange..
March 27, 2017
good movie but I would have liked to see more of the droogs and Alex terrorizing people and fighting other gangs in their iconic suits. I wish this movie could have been longer or if they can make part 2.
½ March 25, 2017
Bringing subversive to a whole new level, Stanley Kubrick's dystopian nightmare serves as a biting, and quite disturbing, commentary on jaded society.
March 20, 2017
Rather tame film really - and that's not because modern films are more gory and shocking. It's on TV so often these days that when I watch it I realise more and more how boring this actually is.
March 19, 2017
Stanley Kubrick is one of the greatest directors of all time and Clockwork Orange does not disappoint. This is not a movie for everyone and the violence gets to be disturbing at times. But the eye of Kubrick creates another cinematic masterpiece you will be sorry to have missed.
February 26, 2017
Weird... I haven't seen it for a while.
½ February 19, 2017
This film blew me away. It is truly spectacular. The use of colour white to represent what our chracter links to, his character ark from intimidating and creepy to likeable, the use of symmetry, the critique of society, the dark magic sprinkled throughout the movie, the amazing dialogue and production design, the hidden themes of corruption, politics, family and morals and lastly the appeal that just sucks you in to the movie, make this a fantastic film. It sucks you in and you feel tortured, sometimes terrifyied but somehow you just buy into his crazy happiness in his mind. This is brilliant and near masterful. I have but one flaw. It feels a little disjointed at the beginning compared to the end. The beginning is fast paced and frenetic but the second and third acts are slow but even more impactful. Maybe this can relate to the character's transformation throughout the movie. This is insanely good and would give a 5 star rating if it was constructed in a less disjointed way at the beginning still fast paced and gave me a little more emotion at the end. Take a bow Kubrick.
February 14, 2017
My favorite of all time
½ February 14, 2017
A Clockwork Orange is a masterpiece. I believe this to be Stanley Kubrick's best movie. For the movie to be this dark and still be funny is incredible. The main character, Alex is a great character who you despise and who is the worst of humanity but still feel bad for. Alex was played brilliantly by Malcolm McDowell. It is amazing how they get you to feel bad for him at then end after all the despicable stuff he does in the beginning. The music is some of the best to be put on screen. The shots Kubrick sets in that film are actually chilling. It a very though provoking movie and is likely to have you thinking about this movie for weeks after you watch it.
½ February 7, 2017
Bloody, Violent, Brutal, controversial, and... A Classic!
February 6, 2017
A Clockwork Orange had good visual effects at the time and delivered good images and had me not wanting to sleep because of Malcolm McDowell's grin and stare, Good film
January 18, 2017
'A Clockwork Orange' does a good job of presenting a dangerous dystopia full of brutality, moral grey areas, and the so-called 'Ludovico technique' of converting criminals to normal people.
January 14, 2017
Incredible. Shocking. Unforgettable.
January 13, 2017
A Clockwork Orange is a masterpiece of sex, ultra-violence, and the lovely Beethoven.Stanley Kubrick provides a black-comedy with Malcolm McDowell being the lovable Psychopath Alex Delarge
January 7, 2017
One of the greatest movies ever made. Look....I have a tattoo inspired by it..enough said.
December 28, 2016
Modern cinema masterpiece with gritty atmosphere.
December 23, 2016
Another masterpiece by master director Stanley Kubrick, the camera use and movements are great, the cinematography, the use of classic music, the performances, the script, everything is top notch amazing. It may be too strong for some people, but if you can get through it, it's freaking worth it.
½ December 20, 2016
The soundtrack and sound-effects are some of the best, and the themes tossed around will not soon leave your mind. But, I would never advise someone to watch this movie--it is vulgar and grotesque. Also, though I do not think it ultimately achieves this, it comes dangerously close to celebrating wickedness.