A Clockwork Orange - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Clockwork Orange Reviews

October 19, 2016
A shocking masterpiece. I'm tempted to claim it to be one of the most impressive films I've ever seen.
October 18, 2016
A Clockwork Orange is a dystopian sci-fi classic with Stanley Kubrick's nightmarish atmosphere, brilliantly used classical music, thought provoking themes of Morality, Nature vs Nurture and Free Will and a deliciously evil main character representing the worst of sociopathy
October 11, 2016
One of the most bizarre and twisted films I've seen. I found it incredibly difficult to sit through the first time (partly from the content, partly from the dense language), but surprisingly, when I thought back to it I found that I really really enjoyed it and wanted to watch it again. It just gets better every time. Don't really know what to say about it. If you want to be pleasantly disturbed, go watch it.
½ October 9, 2016
Stylistically beautiful, thought-provoking, and memorable. I thought the plot got a bit weird/muddled in the second half of the film, but it's undeniably an amazing classic.
½ September 25, 2016
It's an excellent movie, with a good idea for a story behind it. While I think it's one of the best by film master Stanley Kubrick, I still find this movie a little hard to watch again, particularly due to it's cold and psychotic tone with a few extremely uncomfortable scenes.
September 24, 2016
There's no other film quite like Clockwork Orange, both in look and in content.

Whilst the violence may be unsettling for some, I found it to be quite theatrical and stylised, more like a proto-Tarrantino film, and you can certainly see the influence Kubrick had on him here.

I love how you approach the film from the point of view of the psychopath at the centre. His actions are particularly unpleasant, but you can't help but like 'your humble narrator,' one of the best 'anti-heroes' in cinema.

I particularly liked the cinematography and lenses used in this film too; which give an almost 'fisheye' effect of putting you straight into the action.

An acquired taste no doubt, and not one I'd watch every day. But this film has great style, a wonderful 'made up' language (which I found much easier to follow on screen than in the book) and memorable characters and is definitely one of the most unique films of its time.
September 20, 2016
It's either a work of genius or complete garbage. I'd say more genius.
September 18, 2016
A classic from one of the greatest directors of all time.
September 13, 2016
A movie way ahead of it's time and quite simply a disturbing masterpiece. Kubrick's best film!
½ September 10, 2016
Stanley Kubrick's genius is apparent during this film. He's really the only director capable of turning such a twisted book as this into a movie that still seems tasteful despite its appalling subject matter.
August 28, 2016
Kinda of messed up but still a classic.
August 28, 2016
Bizarre and entirely unique
½ August 28, 2016
Kubrick's A CLOCKWORK ORANGE is so blatantly unorthodox that its absurd sense of humor and failed profundity make it inessential viewing.
½ August 26, 2016
I have heard a lot about this movie over the years, so naturally my expectations were quite high when going into this movie. It was even more than what I expected. The characters journey from beginning to the end was very interesting and watching as everything comes full circle was such a joy. I really enjoyed watching all of it. This just proves that time and time again Stanley Kubrick is one of the greatest film makers of all time.
August 24, 2016
Stanley Kubrick films are not for all tastes, and this epitomizes that statement. The plot takes place in futuristic London, as 4 hooligans led by central character Alex, create criminal mischief which results in Alex's arrest and incarceration. He then receives experimental treatment which is aimed to cure his criminal tendencies. Kubrick gives us a satirical view of the criminal justice system which ultimately is a fine cinematic work, that borders upon brilliant, yet falls a bit short.
August 22, 2016
A Clockwork Orange uses of a taboo topic to actually rally against the same topic. The fact that Kubrick does that so persuasively earns the movie bragging rights immediately. Also, the movie leaves you with a feeling of remorse and eeriness that it becomes hard to shake off.
½ August 18, 2016
No matter how I unfurl my conflicting feelings on Clockwork Orange, I have no doubt in my praise for Malcolm McDowell's affected and combatting spirit, as well as Stanley Kubrick's unstable sense of motion and omnidirectional cruelty. No character is left behind in the dissection of violent nature, at its most executed in this British dystopia of what appears to be an extremely large wage gap. McDowell, as juvenile delinquent Alex, raids the city with his gang of Droogs for sex, violence, and riches. In this dystopia, classes are not at direct war with one another, but they take out their frustrations on criminals like Alex when possible. Alex has all of the power when untamed, but once he is left helpless, all classes are ready to enforce Hammurabi's code (contrary to what the Governor had in mind, when conditioning Alex to feel sick in violent and sexual situations). Kubrick incorporates these themes with a vivid, yet uninviting imagination -- in the Droog costumes, the obliterated slums, the heavily sexualized sculptures and paintings regarded as contemporary art, the jittering array of colours that perfectly suit the sparse Moog synthesizer score by Wendy Carlos.

Don't think that I am looking to complain about something, but I cannot identify a primary conflict, in terms of a story. This hurts me, because I want to succumb to the style and, had yet to mention, the sickly appetizing humour that comes with many characters reaching for power. That ranges from Michael Bates as an uptight prison guard with zero faith in the redemption of Alex, given why he was imprisoned in the first place, to Patrick Magee as a wealthy man whose hunt for justice matches perfectly with bloodthirsty revenge. Goddamn, Clockwork Orange is spectacular in parts. Really though, the lack of a primary conflict does not help me in appreciating why Kubrick framed the story as he did. Will that stop me from watching this again and again? No, not at all. All that I can do is deduct half a star.
August 18, 2016
A Clockwork Orange is a violent, shocking, and controversial film that is known as one of the most controversial films of all time, considering it's disturbing content. This film is not for everybody, but it is Kubrick's true film masterpiece. A Clockwork Orange centers around the story of Alex, who likes to spend his time with his "Droogs", brutally assaulting innocent people, doing sickening and brutal crimes, stealing, and breaking into people's homes. Alex soon gets left by his friends, and is soon put into prison. The rest of the film focuses on Alex and his life through prison, mental centers, and even hospitals as he tries to take on his own life due to the treatment he went through. A Clockwork Orange is a hard film to watch, but a truly unforgettable film if you do.
August 17, 2016
Kubrick was a genius! Shocking and disturbing, but, a true master of his craft!
½ August 14, 2016
I don't understand the cultural appeal to this film, as it was an over-stylized production of the novel that left me not caring as much about the film than I thought I would. A Clockwork Orange has a very though provoking storyline where Malcolm McDowell played his character brilliantly, however at the end of the film I felt completely uninterested.