A Clockwork Orange - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Clockwork Orange Reviews

½ July 26, 2017
Kubrick's own interpretation of violence is visionary and timeless. One of the best futuristic movies of all time.
July 20, 2017
It's an excellent movie, with a good idea for a story behind it. While I think it's one of the best by film master Stanley Kubrick, I still find this movie a little hard to watch again, particularly due to it's cold and psychotic tone with a few extremely uncomfortable scenes.
July 20, 2017
Stanley Kubrick was a director who definitely knew how to make a movie! After he surprised me with his masterpiece film The Shining , I started watching A Clockwork Orange, another one of his popular and well-known films and I was completely surprised. I have never in my life seen a movie that took its time to be so creative and entertaining. A Clockwork Orange is definitely an in your face surprise for all audiences and it's a must see Kubrick film. Stanley Kubrick, you are a genius my friend.
July 11, 2017
One of the greatest films ever made by the greatest director of all time. A truly weird and beautiful work of art.
June 24, 2017
Darkly futuristic and funny, violent, provocative and colorful, "A Clockwork Orange" is a (based-on-book) original Kubrick's tale like no other. Very few movies are so inteligent like this one, it has on Alex's character arc one of the most "realistic" future personalities than can exist, at least for me as a moviegoer: Not everyone can believe in either this future universe, but it's a hell lot of fun for everybody, eespecially if you like artistic violence.
June 9, 2017
This was a film that I've seen a couple times before, so I was pleased to dig into a cheaply purchased Stanley Kubrick boxset and give it another day in court, since it's been awhile.

The use of violence as a salve for boredom, violence as a curative for crime, hell, the lack of any easy answers, all of it makes this an intriguing film, and once you're thoroughly enmeshed in the language and style of it all.

Recommended.
June 3, 2017
A Clockwork Orange is a superb movie. With its sharp satire and highly explicit violence, it manages to convey a highly thought-provoking message on personality and will. In my opinion, Kubrick's finest. Masterpiece
May 29, 2017
Clockwork orange is set in a future london following in the footsteps of Alex a young man who has as pastime practicing the so-called ultraviolence with his gang. After being betrayed by his friends and captured by the police he is subjugated to a treatment to end his violent urges So he is subjugated by the crimes themselves. The film is picicodelico and has a whole constrate of colors and costumes that creates a sophisticated climate for the film, the character alex is very well characterized in its brutality and sophistication, even knowing the acts committed by It is almost impossible not to create a bond with the character and not feel sorry for him in events during the film, the direction is perfect knowing to make use of available resources very well (SPOILER: in the scene of the rape there is no use of cuts in So that the camera's presage is evident and after a while it makes the viewer feel immersed in the scene, the brutality is strengthened with small tricks with The other scene is where Alex knocks out two men of his gang in this scene is used the slow camera to the sound of classical music in another perspective there is a scene where he **** two women and acceleration is used. SPOILER). In general the direction is perfect the main character has all the characteristics of a good anti-hero segmented beethoven music is perfect and the plot is very well told.note 100
May 17, 2017
One of the few movies that matches the heights of the book. Possibly my all time favourite.
May 17, 2017
Weird very weird. An alright film though
½ May 4, 2017
Unapologetically violent and brilliantly directed. I can't listen to "Singin' In The Rain" now without thinking of this.
Visually innovative, cynical, wonderfully darkly comic satire. It gets inside your head and takes up residence. It's powerful imagery and statements stay with you, and it asks you questions, to which some of the answers aren't nice to think about.
May 3, 2017
"A Clockwork Orange" still stands as an example for pure cinematic genius, as it handles themes of mental illness, violence and most of all, political corruption in the not so far future of 1972
May 2, 2017
Very good adaptation of the book. A little long of a movie that dragged at times. Malcolm McDowell crushes the role of Alex. In the end, as with all these types of things: book was better than the movie.
½ April 26, 2017
"A Clockwork Orange" is an interesting movie. I myself did not enjoy watching it. It is a very dystopian and improbable movie set in a supposed future. It is definitely disturbing and hard to watch as Alex, the protagonist, is celebrated for his craziness. Also, Stanley Kubrick's unique style makes this film hard to follow as there is a lot of constant symbolism. It is very creative in its plot and story line which is a major plus to the movie and makes it more enjoyable to watch due to the way it confronts violence (its main focus). Lastly, the performances, especially by Malcom McDowell, are phenomenal and give you a true perspective of the meaning of the film.
April 18, 2017
Are there any science fiction/futuristic films that don't have a cynical or dire viewpoint on the world and society as a whole? A Clockwork Orange is a cerebral look into a group of young males venture into ultraviolence and mass crime against the innocent. It's known for its deep themes and moralistic questions that it proposes. Oh, and it's pretty dark and haunting.

Although 30 years apart, A Clockwork Orange reminds me a lot of Requiem for a Dream. Both films explore a group of troubled young adults who get their hands far too deep into something dangerous. For Requiem it was drugs, Clockwork it was violence. Both films also do a nice job at miraculously making criminals likable, or at least people who you can have sympathy for. Most of all, both films are thought provoking pieces of art, but something that I never want to re-watch.

Clockwork particularly follows Alex DeLarge, a delinquent who takes a lot of joy out of committing crime. But his heinous crimes of rape and murder finally catch up to him and he's sent to jail, where an offer to rehabilitate and set him free catches his eye (pun intended). Before I get into the meat of what this film deals with, it's worth talking about Stanley Kubrick for a second. He's directed some of the most famous, and usually divisive, films of the 20th century. All visually stunning, thought provoking, and graphic in detail. A Clockwork Orange is all of those things, but there's no particular moment that I want to revisit, and perhaps that was Kubrick's intent. Perhaps, he wanted the audience to always feel uneasy and on the edge of their seat. Perhaps, Kubrick wanted us to go through a similar treatment to what Alex underwent. The Ludovico technique.

Kubrick has a knack for producing imagery that will never leave your mind. Just as I'll never look at hotel rooms the same after The Shining, or A.I. after 2001, I don't think I'll ever be able to erase the image of Alex brutally raping and murdering a woman while singing 'Singin' in the Rain'. Shocking, disturbing, you name it. That was an extremely powerful scene. That pretty much goes for the whole film as well. Malcom McDowell provides an engrossing and charismatic turn as Alex. I'm sure it's incredibly difficult to make this character someone who you actually root against and then subsequently root for, but he does it. And that's not even mentioning the difficult physicality of this role.

Overall, A Clockwork Orange is a film filled with deep and dark themes that will stick with you long after you see them. Great performances and great directing from Kubrick power the film through what should be purely exploitative, into something influential.

+McDowell's impressive performance physically and emotionally

+Thought provoking

+Haunting imagery

-Difficult to imagine myself ever revisiting it

8.0/10
April 5, 2017
As disturbing as a movie can get. We have A clockwork orange..
March 27, 2017
good movie but I would have liked to see more of the droogs and Alex terrorizing people and fighting other gangs in their iconic suits. I wish this movie could have been longer or if they can make part 2.
½ March 25, 2017
Bringing subversive to a whole new level, Stanley Kubrick's dystopian nightmare serves as a biting, and quite disturbing, commentary on jaded society.
March 20, 2017
Rather tame film really - and that's not because modern films are more gory and shocking. It's on TV so often these days that when I watch it I realise more and more how boring this actually is.
March 19, 2017
Stanley Kubrick is one of the greatest directors of all time and Clockwork Orange does not disappoint. This is not a movie for everyone and the violence gets to be disturbing at times. But the eye of Kubrick creates another cinematic masterpiece you will be sorry to have missed.