A Clockwork Orange - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Clockwork Orange Reviews

July 21, 2016
A very provocative film that I thought was well adapted from its source material. I felt where it might have lapsed in being able to represent some of the more thoughtful or detailed portions of the novel its based on, it made up for it on the strength of it's visuals and music. While the movie feels less ponderous than the novel, due to the pacing of fitting it all into 136 minutes, I think the film still reasonably addresses themes of morality and psychology that were central to the novel. I have mixed feeling on the film conclusion versus the novel conclusion. It certainly gives the film a darker feel, but the novel may swing a little too far in the direction of forgiveness. I like the this difference gives you something to think about. All in all, I can see why it's a classic but also how it remains a controversial film.
July 14, 2016
This is my favorite of all time!
½ July 13, 2016
*SPOILERS*

A film that dissects the moral nature of an individual while questioning the ethics of morality. Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange raises important questions in regards to free will and how it defines the human experience.

Alex Delarge (Malcolm McDowell) is a sociopath who finds amusement through his many acts of ultraviolence. Although he does these actions, he still possess the one trait that makes him human: the freedom to choose. This remains to be true until he is arrested and he undergoes the Ludovico Technique, a treatment designed to eliminate unlawful impulses. After this treatment Alex is left with the inability to choose, thus taking away the one trait that made him human. He becomes a clockwork; a toy that is wound up by others. His actions are controlled and mechanized by others, leaving him in a robotic state. It is only when Alex returns to his ultraviolent ways that we are able to see his human qualities begin to return, teaching us that the human experience is defined by the ability to make conscious decisions.

Though disturbing, A Clockwork Orange manages to convey many important messages that are relevant in today's society. With this is mind, I believe that this is Kubrick's most controversial and powerful film.

9/10
½ July 10, 2016
A fantastic film. Malcolm McDowell's performance is the heart of A Clockwork Orange, Alex is polite and charming, yet corrupt and broken, these two sides of Alex blend together to make one of cinema's most charismatic performances. Kubrick's filmmaking is obviously fantastic and he takes delicate care to ensure this film is faithful to the book whilst adding his own style.
½ July 8, 2016
I love this movie so much but I just don't think its a masterpiece, its a great film without a doubt with great writing and great characters but it just doesn't seem finished to me. But I still love you Stanley Kubrick
½ July 7, 2016
Of movies that hold up to age and make you feel feels - this. Squirmy, poignant, topical. A McDowell more formidable than he'll ever be again.
July 6, 2016
This movie is great. It's musical, funny, deep, easy to watch and I never get tired of watching it over and over again.
July 4, 2016
"A Clockwork Orange" is a masterwork of cinema from Kubrick that can be very disturbing but is always engaging.
June 28, 2016
Violent, disturbing, and above all thought provoking, Kubrick's adaption of the controversial novel is as relevant today as it was in the 70's as more and more questions pop up about the human mind we can always be sure there is no clear cut answer.
June 25, 2016
Morally ambiguous and therefore thought provoking, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE shows how philosophy doesn't have to be straight forward to be powerful.
½ June 14, 2016
Personally, I feel like nothing really happened in this movie, but it was an absolutely fantastic nothing to behold. The performances are outstanding, the violence and sexuality is shocking, and the content is often times disturbing.
June 14, 2016
As a self proclaimed movie fan I know embarrassingly little about Stanley Kubrick. I have not seen most of his movies. I will probably only eventually see about half. Thanks to Netflix, I was able to scratch a big one of my list. A Clockwork Orange is regarded by some as his best. I was able to appreciate much of the look and feel of this movie, Malcom McDowell is really great, and even the story was compelling at times. The one thing that I couldn't get over, and it's why I struggle with many anti-hero movies, is I couldn't root for Alex. I know that's the goal, and why many feel that Kubrick is a genius, but I'm not in his target demo. I like "good" main characters. I don't need perfect, of course. The best ones are flawed. But not celebrated rapists and murderers. I'm not offended, or anything. It's a creative choice, and a very daring and risky one; especially back then. Like I said, I can appreciate the film making, and admire the talent and conviction to express it fully. It just doesn't hit me the way it seems to hit "film" fans. I can't recommend this outright, but there are things I will never forget about it, for sure, and I am glad I finally watched it.
June 14, 2016
Artísticamente, estéticamente, cinematográficamente es pletórica. Me parece que si bien la idea de fondo: la crítica a la psicología, etc., y la posible solución de la libertad aparecen, no parece ser lo más importante. En mi opinión, no existe Tarantino sin esta película. Párrafo aparte para la música (" our old friend, Ludwig van").

Eso sí, nadie niega lo loco y desenfrenado de esta obra de Kubrick.
½ June 14, 2016
When a master film maker tackles a topic such as violence and mental illness, you can be sure, something is going to bang your head hard and strong. The result of this experiment is a film completely insane in some aspects but with a killer soundtrack, a great cast and a story line well written and fascinatingly rendered to the screen. Kubrick is a surgeon and his film making has always been surgically precise and on point at ever frame, every shot, every camera movement. This film remains a timeless cult classic object and if you still wonder why, do yourself a big favor and watch this 'experience' of a film.... trust me, it's a trip and a hell of a rocky one.
June 11, 2016
A Clockwork Orange, a clockwork orange is one of the most violent and yet artsiest film that Stanley Kubrick ever made in cinema history. As I think a clockwork Orange is it about the violence of life itself. As you're exploring this whole movie, you're looking at the main character Alex. And you're exploring this world of a someone post apocalypse world. For the movie that it is, it doesn't show the futuristic world that the book intended it to be. But in Stanley Kubrick's vision, I want to settle of what it is that is postmodern and post-future. In for this case this is like one of the most all-time favorite movies of everyone's witness. One of my all-time favorite films of all time, this movie deserves the recognition of what it really stands for and that is the mind vision of Stanley Kubrick. Out of all the Stanley Kubrick films, and yet one of my favorite directors a full-time sadly parted, yet more abandon films and screenplays that he was doing for his projects that everybody is anticipated for. Never been witness to people's eyes. Yet this film is very strong with its controversial meaning of ultra violence and I strongly think that it should be witness to all age groups and film schools. As I think of this phone it doesn't show the ultraviolence of this meaning of film is trying to show a struggling man trying to fight the ultraviolet of the world. And the music that brings into every scenery it's very artsy you get so beautiful to look at, funny yet so serious at the same time. That is a true trademark of Stanley Kubrick. As of again this is one of my all-time favorite films of all time and I highly recommend seeing this film of this beautiful masterpiece of Stanley Kubrick.

Grade
A perfect 10
½ June 9, 2016
What the heck was that?
June 8, 2016
I'm sure I could find the perfect gif to describe how I feel about this film but I'm not entirely sure if I can conjure up any words...
June 7, 2016
Hilarious and insane
May 30, 2016
Dark, twisted, ultra-violent and uncompromisingly explicit, Stanley Kubrick's sci-fi masterpiece provides an unmistakably brilliant yet uncomfortable viewing experience. Based on the book of the same name, the film follows Alex, a young boy who is as equally obsessed with extreme sexual violence as he is with Beethoven's 9th Symphony, spending his evenings with his pack of 'droogs' causing mayhem until he becomes the centre of a controversial government brain-washing programme designed to rid society of crime.
The film explores powerful issues, such as government intervention, the importance of free will and the split between the young and old of society, that make the film continuously thought-provoking and disturbingly relevant. Kubrick achieves a grounded sci-fi feel through intelligent use of sets, backgrounds and props. Instead of crazy gadgets or robots, erotic art and quirky costumes give the sense of a different society. The film looks futuristic to an extent, but feels very realistic, making its content even more apt and terrifying. Kubrick also incorporates the book's made up language, Nadsat, a combination of English, Russian and Cockney rhyming slang. It results in intriguing dialogue that feels like you are part of an older generation attempting to understand the weird colloquialisms of teenagers. This language is prevalent, thanks to narration from Alex himself. Malcolm McDowell's definitive performance is unnervingly brilliant as the psychopath. He comes across as charming in his speech yet repulsive in his actions. He often refers to the viewer as 'friend', creating an uncomfortable personal relationship between oneself and Alex. The juxtaposition of his speech and actions makes for an engaging and interesting character, and it is easy to see his influence throughout cinema.
A Clockwork Orange is a multi-layered motion picture that has great range and depth. It deals with ever more relevant issues and themes and is therefore a true must watch film.