Cocoon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cocoon Reviews

½ March 22, 2017
A feel good movie about aging filled with too much of sentimentality. But it's charming in its own way.
February 5, 2017
I find myself wanting to watch this movie every couple of years. I always had a soft spot for it. I think it is a very good sci-fi movie and one that should be seen by newer generations of people. I highly recommend it to sci-fi fans.
½ January 6, 2017
Entertaining film about a group of elderly folks in an old age home who find the fountain of youth next door in a pool with alien pods in it. Still get reminded of Quaker Oats when I see Wilford Brimley.
½ November 21, 2016
the cure for growing old
½ August 17, 2016
Old geezers find alien pods that restores youth in this unbalanced sci-fi drama.
August 7, 2016
Old people go to a place where they no longer age. This movie basically says you ride a spaceship to heaven.
March 16, 2016
The old people in this movie are funny to watch but the movie itself is kinda blah
January 20, 2016
Not too excited about this, when saw it in theater.
½ October 26, 2015
Old people go to space.
½ September 22, 2015
Some of the goofier sci-fi elements are played too straight and too frequently to allow the beauty of the film to truly resonate.
September 12, 2015
"You've got a boner too?!"

For some strange reason as a kid I was under the impression that Ron Howard's 'Cocoon' was a horror film that I should be too scared of to watch so I didn't get around to seeing it until today....

And lo and behold its 'E.T.' with old people!

And despite some hilariously cheesy montage sequences featuring the worst 80s music imaginable, this little flick managed to really pull at my old heart strings and go along for this strange tale beat by beat.

Now how bout that dreamy Steve Guttenberg?!
August 3, 2015
Ron Howard directs this heavily Speilberg-esque fantasy about a group of senior Floridians, notably Hume Croyn and Jessica Tandy, who befriend friendly life-empowering aliens. For the most part, an enjoyable and warm watch though things never really come together as a whole - themes and characters are lowly developed and the climax somewhat lacks the excitement and emotion that it could have carried. Out of the oldies, Jack Gilford is the most effective as the stubborn, grumpy cynic who refuses to recapture his youth.
July 17, 2015
just perfect for that evening when you don't want to think and you're in the mood for a light hearted, encouraging, but fantasy movie.
April 8, 2015
I really still don't know how I felt about this. It was weird as hell but the overall story was weirder. As it played out it built in admiration for what it was trying to say. Great cinematography, visual effects, score, and direction from Ron Howard. I have no idea how Don Ameche won an Oscar for this he had little to do performance wise but the real shining stars are Jack Gilford, Wilford Brimley, and Jessica Tandy. I'm still up in the air about it but for now I'll say I liked it
March 24, 2015
A tender heartwarming movie that gets you to stand up and root for these wonderful characters.
February 7, 2015
A lightly entertaining comedy-drama from Ron Howard.

Interesting plot that isn't very watertight. Feels very loose and slapped-together.

Whole movie, in fact, lacks the gravitas necessary to make it a classic. Starts to feel like a chase-caper toward the end.

Performances are so-so. Wilfred Brimley does a solid job and Don Ameche got a Best Supporting Actor Oscar and most of the performances are fine, just some seem very unconvincing. Tawnee Welch is particularly bad, and Steve Guttenberg should really stick to B-grade comedies.

So, quite disappointing for such a well-known movie.

However, not all bad. It keeps up a decent pace, is never dull, concept is reasonably original (if not sound) and does pose some interesting questions about life. Watchable.
January 16, 2015
Ron Howard's take on a wonderful, heartening sci-fi flick followed a used-up formula but with a fantasy genre approach and gentleness to freshen the structure up that'd built up the surprises while expressing emotions through the level-matching performances and providing amazing effects. (A-)

(Full review coming soon)
½ January 14, 2015
Not really sure why this is considered a classic. I like most of Ron Howard's films, but this one was remarkably dull. It wasn't bad, just boring.
December 11, 2014
Great movie. Storyline a bit out there but overall i liked how they did told it. The "old folks" did one heck of a job acting. I almost felt like they believed in what they were saying.