Cocoon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cocoon Reviews

April 7, 2018
Wow surprised to see such a low rating for this movie! I thought it was pretty damn good
½ February 25, 2018
This 1980s sci-fi comedy doesn't really try to make you think it could be about a deadly alien invasion or serious threats to our old-timer protagonists. It is just trying to have a good time with the idea of a few elderly people feeling young again thanks to the cocoons retrieved from the bottom of the sea and stored in a pool. Of course things get exciting anyway, as the keepers of the cocoons are trying to take them home into space. It is still a feel-good movie through and through. In its best moments it oozes the same kind of movie magic that made the Spielberg films of the era so special. In its less outstanding scenes, the film drags on a little and the special effects just didn't age that well. That doesn't change the fact that it is fun to witness the charming cast's adventure even after all those years.
½ February 9, 2018
This is a fun, upbeat movie. Just like the 80's - full of optimism. I loved seeing the old movie stars like Don Ameche and Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy. Also interesting to see Tyrone Power's son. I love anything Brian Dennehy does. Ponce de leon would be proud.
½ February 6, 2018
Cocoon would have been a 4 but like to many Americans movies it gets unbearable gooey and silly in the last 20 minutes or so, tainting the whole endeavor. Still, close to a classic.
September 17, 2017
Most of the movie is a chessy montage of the old people feeling better. Pretty lame movie
September 4, 2017
Cute overall, but the ending dragged on.
½ August 26, 2017
Watchable and not a complete waste of time.
August 21, 2017
One of the best movies. Yes, the special effects aren't what they are now (it's old....cmon!) but the acting is stellar. I love every one of the old folk..and the young. Remember this movie (and cocoon 2) when I was a kid and still love it as an adult....maybe even more so.
August 5, 2017
Slower than I remembered.
½ August 1, 2017
Too sentimental and corny for me. Just not my taste.
½ May 1, 2017
A very good film for a fantasy theme.
½ April 14, 2017
This movie is both haunting and sad.
April 10, 2017
First time I see kind aliens in the movie
April 9, 2017
Very smart, funny, and touching. It's much less Mars Attacks! and much more Close Encounters. Interesting characters and story.
½ March 22, 2017
A feel good movie about aging filled with too much of sentimentality. But it's charming in its own way.
February 5, 2017
I find myself wanting to watch this movie every couple of years. I always had a soft spot for it. I think it is a very good sci-fi movie and one that should be seen by newer generations of people. I highly recommend it to sci-fi fans.
½ January 6, 2017
Entertaining film about a group of elderly folks in an old age home who find the fountain of youth next door in a pool with alien pods in it. Still get reminded of Quaker Oats when I see Wilford Brimley.
½ November 21, 2016
the cure for growing old
½ August 17, 2016
Old geezers find alien pods that restores youth in this unbalanced sci-fi drama.
August 7, 2016
Old people go to a place where they no longer age. This movie basically says you ride a spaceship to heaven.