Cocoon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cocoon Reviews

March 16, 2016
The old people in this movie are funny to watch but the movie itself is kinda blah
January 20, 2016
Not too excited about this, when saw it in theater.
½ October 26, 2015
Old people go to space.
½ September 22, 2015
Some of the goofier sci-fi elements are played too straight and too frequently to allow the beauty of the film to truly resonate.
September 12, 2015
"You've got a boner too?!"

For some strange reason as a kid I was under the impression that Ron Howard's 'Cocoon' was a horror film that I should be too scared of to watch so I didn't get around to seeing it until today....

And lo and behold its 'E.T.' with old people!

And despite some hilariously cheesy montage sequences featuring the worst 80s music imaginable, this little flick managed to really pull at my old heart strings and go along for this strange tale beat by beat.

Now how bout that dreamy Steve Guttenberg?!
August 3, 2015
Ron Howard directs this heavily Speilberg-esque fantasy about a group of senior Floridians, notably Hume Croyn and Jessica Tandy, who befriend friendly life-empowering aliens. For the most part, an enjoyable and warm watch though things never really come together as a whole - themes and characters are lowly developed and the climax somewhat lacks the excitement and emotion that it could have carried. Out of the oldies, Jack Gilford is the most effective as the stubborn, grumpy cynic who refuses to recapture his youth.
July 17, 2015
just perfect for that evening when you don't want to think and you're in the mood for a light hearted, encouraging, but fantasy movie.
April 8, 2015
I really still don't know how I felt about this. It was weird as hell but the overall story was weirder. As it played out it built in admiration for what it was trying to say. Great cinematography, visual effects, score, and direction from Ron Howard. I have no idea how Don Ameche won an Oscar for this he had little to do performance wise but the real shining stars are Jack Gilford, Wilford Brimley, and Jessica Tandy. I'm still up in the air about it but for now I'll say I liked it
March 24, 2015
A tender heartwarming movie that gets you to stand up and root for these wonderful characters.
February 7, 2015
A lightly entertaining comedy-drama from Ron Howard.

Interesting plot that isn't very watertight. Feels very loose and slapped-together.

Whole movie, in fact, lacks the gravitas necessary to make it a classic. Starts to feel like a chase-caper toward the end.

Performances are so-so. Wilfred Brimley does a solid job and Don Ameche got a Best Supporting Actor Oscar and most of the performances are fine, just some seem very unconvincing. Tawnee Welch is particularly bad, and Steve Guttenberg should really stick to B-grade comedies.

So, quite disappointing for such a well-known movie.

However, not all bad. It keeps up a decent pace, is never dull, concept is reasonably original (if not sound) and does pose some interesting questions about life. Watchable.
January 16, 2015
Ron Howard's take on a wonderful, heartening sci-fi flick followed a used-up formula but with a fantasy genre approach and gentleness to freshen the structure up that'd built up the surprises while expressing emotions through the level-matching performances and providing amazing effects. (A-)

(Full review coming soon)
½ January 14, 2015
Not really sure why this is considered a classic. I like most of Ron Howard's films, but this one was remarkably dull. It wasn't bad, just boring.
December 11, 2014
Great movie. Storyline a bit out there but overall i liked how they did told it. The "old folks" did one heck of a job acting. I almost felt like they believed in what they were saying.
October 15, 2014
Strange and a definitely unique plot
½ September 15, 2014
A very odd, pleasant little movie that I wasn't ever really invested in. A lot of the humor was pretty...not offensive or inappropriate, but just weird. The whole 'boners' thing was weird, and that 'orgasm' scene was just very strange. I'm a sentimental guy, but movies this sentimental and cheesy make the emotion in it seem false instead of genuine. I get the feeling that this movie could be remade pretty well if Wes Anderson wrote the script - he's good at being kooky and odd while injecting genuine feeling into his movies. That being said, there were a few aspects that were a little touching. Rose's death scene got to me a little, even though you could see it coming a mile away and there wasn't especially standout about it. Also, I liked the bond between Ben and his grandson - I was actually a little sad when Ben told him that he was going away. Most of this was a little too cheesy for me, but there were a few nice moments and a general amiability that made it somewhat enjoyable.
½ August 20, 2014
Boring! I thought it was poorly made and felt like a television movie. Those aliens were freaky looking though. (First and only viewing - 7/26/2014)
August 16, 2014
Cocoon is one of those movies that sends a mixed message. Obviously the film-makers wanted you to sympathize with the old people longing for eternal youth, but on the other hand, I can't but think that it's a little cheesy. The film is basically one of those family-friendly sci-fi movies, and that means that things can get pretty corny, but I honestly like the acting, mainly because there's a genuine conveyance of emotions, even if in a rather sentimental fashion. I actually like this film's take on aliens, mainly because it's different to what we've been trained since childhood to expect, and I find the film's main premise to be a rather interesting concept. However, this film focuses way too much on the sentimental value of its premise, and the ending could only be described as the apogee of everything corny about the film.
August 7, 2014
Creepy over sexed old people shenanigans aside this is still a sweet, moving, funny and wonder filled sci-fi drama. An 80's classic.
June 26, 2014
Although it largely amounts to nothing more than "look at these cute old people splash around in a pool" and the sentimentality is almost suffocatingly saccharine, the old people are undeniably cute.