Cocoon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cocoon Reviews

August 5, 2017
Slower than I remembered.
½ August 1, 2017
Too sentimental and corny for me. Just not my taste.
½ July 26, 2017
Cocoon is a watchable movie. Not one of my favorites, but still it wasn't a complete waste of time.
½ May 1, 2017
A very good film for a fantasy theme.
½ April 14, 2017
This movie is both haunting and sad.
April 10, 2017
First time I see kind aliens in the movie
April 9, 2017
Very smart, funny, and touching. It's much less Mars Attacks! and much more Close Encounters. Interesting characters and story.
½ March 22, 2017
A feel good movie about aging filled with too much of sentimentality. But it's charming in its own way.
February 5, 2017
I find myself wanting to watch this movie every couple of years. I always had a soft spot for it. I think it is a very good sci-fi movie and one that should be seen by newer generations of people. I highly recommend it to sci-fi fans.
½ January 6, 2017
Entertaining film about a group of elderly folks in an old age home who find the fountain of youth next door in a pool with alien pods in it. Still get reminded of Quaker Oats when I see Wilford Brimley.
½ November 21, 2016
the cure for growing old
½ August 17, 2016
Old geezers find alien pods that restores youth in this unbalanced sci-fi drama.
August 7, 2016
Old people go to a place where they no longer age. This movie basically says you ride a spaceship to heaven.
March 16, 2016
The old people in this movie are funny to watch but the movie itself is kinda blah
January 20, 2016
Not too excited about this, when saw it in theater.
½ October 26, 2015
Old people go to space.
½ September 22, 2015
Some of the goofier sci-fi elements are played too straight and too frequently to allow the beauty of the film to truly resonate.
September 12, 2015
"You've got a boner too?!"

For some strange reason as a kid I was under the impression that Ron Howard's 'Cocoon' was a horror film that I should be too scared of to watch so I didn't get around to seeing it until today....

And lo and behold its 'E.T.' with old people!

And despite some hilariously cheesy montage sequences featuring the worst 80s music imaginable, this little flick managed to really pull at my old heart strings and go along for this strange tale beat by beat.

Now how bout that dreamy Steve Guttenberg?!
August 3, 2015
Ron Howard directs this heavily Speilberg-esque fantasy about a group of senior Floridians, notably Hume Croyn and Jessica Tandy, who befriend friendly life-empowering aliens. For the most part, an enjoyable and warm watch though things never really come together as a whole - themes and characters are lowly developed and the climax somewhat lacks the excitement and emotion that it could have carried. Out of the oldies, Jack Gilford is the most effective as the stubborn, grumpy cynic who refuses to recapture his youth.