The Cookout Reviews

• Nov 02, 2016

I'mma cook this movie to perfection

I'mma cook this movie to perfection

• Jul 22, 2016

Though Latifah's small part is highly amusing, the rest of the film is not.

Though Latifah's small part is highly amusing, the rest of the film is not.

• Aug 20, 2012

Lame jokes and coonery abounds.

Lame jokes and coonery abounds.

• Jun 25, 2012

I really wanted this movie to be good, but ya it's not.

I really wanted this movie to be good, but ya it's not.

• Jun 24, 2012

saw it school last year, it wuz ok

saw it school last year, it wuz ok

• Mar 18, 2012

This movie was stupid, retarded, ghetto, nonsense, and a waste of time.

This movie was stupid, retarded, ghetto, nonsense, and a waste of time.

• Feb 29, 2012

Don't ask me why I ever watched this movie. Throw the Cookout out.

Don't ask me why I ever watched this movie. Throw the Cookout out.

• Dec 14, 2011

"C'mon everyone, let's head to the cookout!" Though this is what movie producers hoped fans would do, you should definitely not run to see this film. Though the movie has its moments, these moments are brief and crammed between long periods of pointless dribble. The worst part of the movie is the message it sends. The entire movie is one giant cliche with tired and used jokes that only perpetuate racial stereotypes. For example, the main character, Todd Anderson (Quran Pender), is a college basketball phenom who becomes the first pick in the NBA draft. Afterwards he goes on a ridiculous spending spree, purchasing an enormous house, a brand new Hummer, and plenty of bling for his gold-digging fiance played by Meagan Good. And what else would a newly-rich African American do but have a cookout with all his relatives, including his redneck cousins, conspiracy theorist and lawyer wanabe uncle, and his obese, pot smoking nephews. Even his neighbors, played by Farrah Fawcett and Danny Glover, add to the stereotypes with their reaction to Todd moving into the neighborhood. At times, this film is just plain embarrassing to watch. Queen Latifah, who provides most of the humor as the psychotic rent-a-cop with delusions of grandeur, is the only reason the movie is even at all bearable. If ever you wondered why we still stereotype in the 21st century, look no further than this film. This movie is the decrepit man's version of "Barbershop".

• Oct 11, 2011

should change it's name to new money with a cookout at the end.

should change it's name to new money with a cookout at the end.

• Aug 29, 2011

Really stupid, pointless comedy. I didn't laugh once. Not worth it.

Really stupid, pointless comedy. I didn't laugh once. Not worth it.