The Crowd Reviews

• Jul 02, 2020

Excellent movie considering it is not a talkie. Characters tell their stories just with facial and body gestures in a very meaningful and emotional way. It is a story of an ordinary man coming to grips with the fact that he is ordinary. Despite this, his wife and son love him dearly and, after all, what is life all about? Love will find a way.

• Jan 26, 2019

The best, GREATEST romance movie ever made!

The best, GREATEST romance movie ever made!

• Antonius B Super Reviewer
    Jul 14, 2018

'The Crowd' is strong in its early scenes of the life of a young man, played by James Murray. He goes to New York to make it big, and is immediately swallowed up into the masses, a cog in the mighty machine of an office, and the shots director King Vidor uses to show this are fantastic. He then meets a young woman (Eleanor Boardman), and there are some lovely scenes of them courting at an amusement park, and then at Niagara Falls on their honeymoon. From there the film almost gets too realistic as it trundles through various phases of life. We see him in awkward family gatherings, tying one on with his friend (Bert Roach) and a couple of party girls, having marital arguments, becoming a father, giving his kids horsey rides, hitting incredible high points but also enduring a deep tragedy, struggling through difficult times, and getting depressed. In many of those, there are so many little moments that heighten the realism; how silly and petty the arguments are, needing to help his kids relieve themselves at the beach, and on and on. Most people will relate to at least some of the parts of the film, and it shows just how similar lives in the past were to our own, even though its trappings and technology were of course different. Vidor essentially shows us the universality of experience. He also shows us that ultimately love and sticking together are the way to persevere through adversity. I don't see the film as one of the greatest silent films of all time as some do, but there's a depth and quality to the film that certainly make it a good one, and worth seeing.

• Apr 21, 2018

It is pushed by the power that it is fun to make movies and it can not be helped. Camera work that licks over Manhattan and looks up at the building, the beauty of shaping that big people gather and wander through, the wonderful love scene in Niagara, the trembling of the hero's hand, the production of the last s scene. I was overwhelmed by the power of the movie, independent of the good or bad of the theme of this movie.

• Feb 11, 2017

A well made film about life and the struggles of the individual in making a living to support one's family. 1001 movies to see before you die.

• Feb 07, 2017

An everyman with aspirations of greatness never quite makes it as tragedy upon mishap befall himself and his family. it's business as usual in the cold rat race of life.

• Jan 07, 2017

It must be a great silent American classic, but it doesn't strike me as an all time best world movie. Though it definitely is an amazing piece of work that raises social issues and starkly depicts them.

• Nov 01, 2015

A movie about being one and everyone among the crowd. Altthough the story speak to us today the pace of the film and the characters melodramatic backstory look quite out-dated today.

• Oct 23, 2015

Easily the greatest film of its time. Vidor not only narrates an emotional and powerful roller-coaster of a story that will have you on the edge of your seat (which reflects the main theme of the film which is to persevere in the situations we and life put ourselves in), he also incorporates ingenious camera techniques that many directors use in modern films, yet were considered impossible and absurd during his time.

• Sep 07, 2014

One of the most impressive silent film ever made. Even it's been over 85 years since its release, King Vidor's The Crowd still manages to leave strong impressions in modern auduences' minds.