Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Reviews

May 29, 2017
'DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES' was directed by Matt Reeves and stars Andy Serkis, Jason Clarke and Toby Kebbell. Over a decade after the simian flu wiped out most of the worlds humans, Caesar(Andy Serkis) and his band of apes have grown immensely and become much more intelligent. Meanwhile, Malcom(Jason Clarke) and a band of human survivors ask Caesar for help to help humans survive. This creates a rift between both the apes, the humans and the relationships between both.

? Very few sequels improve upon the stepping stones left behind by their predecessor. Only rare occasions like with 'The Dark Knight', 'Terminator 2' and 'Fast Five' do we get sequels that are infinitely better than their already brilliant originals. 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' is one of these uncommon occasions. Sure it has its flaws(some of which do carry over from 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes') but it also fixes many and doubles the amount of drama and action that was there before. Pretty much everything is either improved or stays the same when compared to its predecessor. Nothing retraces its steps quality wise and that is very pleasing in today's movie climate.

For example, the story in the original was very well written and I congratulated the writers for that. Building of the success of 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes', they could have just slapped a story together to string the events along but they don't and I genuinely admire that. They still put effort into the story and give it meaning and impact. The themes of betrayal and being a father carry over to here which was nice but I would have liked to see something new and different. The ending here, which I won't spoil, is also really good and perfectly sets up 'War For the Planet of the Apes'. Overall, they could have just made a weak story and ending just to hurry up the action but they don't and they genuinely try to deliver a pleasing narrative.

Next, there is the acting. I've said it once, I'll say it again, Andy Serkis deserved some love from the Oscars for his mesmerising portrayal as Caesar and I honestly feel its disrespectful they haven't given him one yet. Toby Kebbell was also great as Koba and he has a clear arc from point A - B. All the non-human characters in the film were excellently acted and wrote and were the standouts of the film. That said, most of the human characters were very weak and their acting wasn't too special either. Jason Clarke, for starters, was very weak as Malcolm and showed no joy, sadness or anger at any point in the film. I feel like Gary Oldman at least tried as Dreyfus but that was no match for how poorly written the humans were. I will say that's the main flaw of most of the humans. Most of them were competently acted and whatnot but none of them had any interesting motives or personalities and were all forgettable. None of them were particularly likable and they were all replaceable, both as characters and actors. That said, both the villains were alright and, although one of them had a pretty weak arc for me, both of them were pretty threatening.

Technically, this movie is flawless. The cinematography is gorgeous, the visual effects and mind blowing and even the costume/set design was brilliant. Matt Reeves is proving he's a world class director on a technical level and I am always amazed with the visually stunning work he pushes out.

Now for the action... It's absolutely awesome! I thought it would be pretty hard to top the action in its predecessor but I was very wrong. I won't go into detail, because you really should see it for yourself, but I must describe ONE tiny segment of action that will have to make you see it. An ape... riding a horse... carrying an assault rifle... while jumping through flames. If that doesn't get you interested in this movie then I don't know what will. Aside from the action, this movie is also pretty damn spectacular on an emotional and dramatic level. This movie pulled at my heartstrings multiple times and must be commended for that. Colour me impressed. One thing I will say was pretty flawed about the movie was some of the dialogue which was unbelievably cliché and could be predicted from a mile away. I must of said what a character was gonna say before they said it like 20 or 30 times in the movie because it was pretty damn cliché.

In Conclusion, this movie is dramatic, emotion, action packed, a visual treat and is well worth your time and money.

8/10
½ May 22, 2017
With considerably more thematic and narrative depth than its rebooted predecessor, "Dawn" carries the "Apes" franchise to bold new heights.
May 21, 2017
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is as much about humanity as it is about apes. While Andy Serkis shines as Caesar, and Jason Clarke is very good as Malcolm, the movie doesn't give you just that. Gary Oldman is great as Dreyfus, and the actor who plays Koba is nothing short of spectacular. This movie is much more than a simple sci-fi tale; the movie delves into topics that many other films are afraid to talk about such as, "what does it mean to be human?", as well as carrying political and racial undertones. Overall, this movie is far more than meets the eye, with a great cast, exiting action, interesting themes, and the best movie villain in recent memory, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is my favorite film of 2014, and is a movie that I will love and think about for years to come.
May 11, 2017
If you are a "Planet of the Apes" fan,like I am.
½ May 7, 2017
Pretty good film and and better than the previous efforts. I kinda want to turn this into a comedy though, remove the CG effects, and just show Andy Serkis prancing around like a monkey and making mad faces.
May 2, 2017
Brutal, emotional and enjoyable. This film had it all. The CGI was spectacular as well as the acting. As the film progressed it made me uncertain about the age rating being so low for the content that is experienced by younger viewers. In my opinion the film was too dark and brutal for children. But after reading the views myself it is the second highest rated movie of the year, and after watching it, it deserves that title. But if you are over fifteen you would really enjoy this extraordinary, brilliant blockbuster which will grip you from start to finish. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is amazing CGI as well as brilliant acting and scenes so emotional you may even cry. Amazing.
April 24, 2017
Dawn of the planet of the apes is really good
April 16, 2017
everything about film is perfect.
April 16, 2017
High-octane action, suspense and apes(of course) are what makes this excellent movie one of 2014's best, especially cause it has some pretty underrated actors.
March 31, 2017
Thanks to Matt Reeves' directing, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes has you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. Surprisingly thoughtful, well-directed, well-shot, and gripping. The characters are fully fleshed-out, flawed, and real.
March 29, 2017
I was not a fan of the first film but this one took me by surprise.
½ March 21, 2017
Really horrible. I can see a little bit why other people like it, the movie feels like it gets no where, so they try to make a good story but it just does not work. The acting and the CGI was good, I can't really say it was bad because the CGI was really good, and with the acting really got the film to be suspenseful. But after all the movie isn't the best.
½ March 11, 2017
Just awesome. Give Andy Serkis an Oscar or something, because he makes this movie. Spectacular visual effects, brilliantly directed, and everything I hoped it would be.
March 11, 2017
Somehow enhancing upon the originals groundbreaking effects, this sci-fi spectacle will have you rooting for the apes
½ February 27, 2017
Thought it was pretty good for the most part
½ February 26, 2017
Written with a completely irony laden anti-war and anti-racism plot combining that with superb special effects depicting pro-peace Caesar vs pro-war and violently bigoted Koba, the "Donald Trump" of the Apes, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes easily equals if not outmatches its predecessor.
½ February 26, 2017
This film had a very good plot and I didn't think it was possible to have one this good having watched the old series in full. It started off well, however, the extended battle sequences and never ending battle(s) let it down a bit, and significantly dulls the outcome of the plot in the end.
February 26, 2017
The second film in the 'new' Planet of the Apes series, this picks up something like 10 years after 'Rise ... ', when most of mankind has been wiped out (shown in the opening credits sequence) by the ape virus created in that earlier film.

As such, the first portion of this film follows Caesar and his new family living in the forest, and is largely dialogue free, with the apes communicating by sign language.

That changes, however, when a small enclave of survivors stumble across the Apes, leading to (effectively) a clash of cultures.

Overall, I found this to be somewhat slower than the first film; never really capturing my attention as much. That's not to say that it is a bad film, just not as good as the first (then again, sequels rarely are!).
February 20, 2017
Wow, that was something
January 21, 2017
Dramatic, emotional and full of sci-fi visuals that amaze the eye. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is smart and that's where it's true strength lies. This film is a blockbuster that has an actual story to tell and that story is exactly what elevates it above other films striving to accomplish what it has accomplished.