Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Reviews

½ July 21, 2017
Apes! On horseback! While carrying guns! And firing them! What more could you ask for? While I admit it has a few minor setbacks, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is an improvement over its already good predecessor. The special effects are amazing, in fact even better than in Rise. Never has a CGI ape looked so good. it mostly feels like actual apes were cast. Andy Serkis's motion-capture performance is amazing, even better than in the first film. The human actors are pretty good too. Jason Clarke, Keri Russell and Kodi-Smit McPhee seem committed in what they're doing whilst Gary Oldman pulls off another stellar performance. After all, you know what the polar opposite of that one nitpicky YouTuber says: "Gary Oldman is always a win". Toby Kebbell is a great villain, as he wants apes to be dominant because he accuses Caesar of loving humans and not giving a damn about the apes themselves. Drama comes first and action second. It allows more time for character development as Caesar wants to be a great leader whilst, like Clarke's character, he also wants to be a good father. I usually prefer a little more action but the build-up is pretty exciting and its ending foreshadows events to come. I hear War is very good, I hope so. Michael Giacchino's score is great as well. Emotional resonance is strong within this movie especially during a cameo via a camera from James Franco. It reminds people of the better moments during their past. Nostalgia, man, nostalgia. Utilizing cutting-edge technology with a great screenplay, DotPotA improves upon its predecessor without succumbing to the curse of the law of diminishing returns.
July 20, 2017
While Dawn of the planet of the apes isn't as good as the previous movie, there is still a whole lot to enjoy in this movie. This movie has a great plot, special effects, and good characters. These three things really hold the movie together. The plot is great and really builds up to connect this movie with War for the planet of the apes. The special effects are amazing. The apes look and feel real. This is really where the characters play in. The characters tie in with the special effects. The apes are great characters. Not only do the special effects make them look real, but the ape's character makes it feel real. Talking apes wielding guns may seem silly but this movie can make it feel a little bit serious and feel more realistic. Overall this is a great apes movie, with a great plot, special effects, and great characters, this movie represents what a movie should be. A+
July 19, 2017
I loved it. A fantastic movie.
July 19, 2017
The best of the series, boasting an incredible story, effects, and acting.
July 18, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: Whilst its predecessor was a blockbuster recipe with a very delicate balance of flavours; 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' decides to play things with a slightly heavier hand in bringing action and excitement to the foreground. As a result it's equally engaging, and the fact it plays off the first film means we're invested in the story as it cuts to the chase more quickly. From there things waste no time, and the film powers through with just the right amount of breathing room for key emotional moments and incredible action sequences that amaze as much as they hit you. In fact it really is a very impressive spectacle this time around, and looking up at the screen in admiration of Matt Reeves' work doesn't remotely mean you're out of the picture as the characters are all well-developed and the action furthers the story rather than detracts from it.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Where some of the delicacy is lost, the script winds up somewhat flawed - particularly when it comes to discussing the ever-present themes.
VERDICT: 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' is an impressive and engaging beast of a film that continues the franchise extremely well despite its occasional flaw.
½ July 17, 2017
Apes with Machine Guns
July 17, 2017
One of the best films of this decade and hands down the best Apes film to date, Dawn is a poignant and powerful film about humanity with some of the best cgi ever seen in film...
July 17, 2017
Emotionally resonant and surprisingly grey, Dawn expands upon its predecessor's themes with great results.
July 16, 2017
a thrilling and well acted sequel with an award worthy turn from Andy serkis
July 16, 2017
the best sequal ever with social commentary and a battle between ape and human kind
July 16, 2017
AMAZING! Great movie very action packed! Cant wait for the third one
July 16, 2017
Despite overall uninteresting human characters and lulls in pace, Dawn outshines it's predecessor with a darker, more thrilling tone and remarkable visual effects bolsters by an always exceptional performance by Andy Serkis.
July 16, 2017
Down with the sickness. So mankind has succumbed to a disease known as the Simian Flu. After a few years, we've essentially been knocked out to dark ages. The apes that don't need power, however, are thriving with their heightened intelligence. One species and rising and one is falling, is there a chance at peace between man and ape, or is war inevitable? As I have previously made you all aware, I love these apes. When Rise of the Planet of the Apes came out in 2011, I knew almost as soon as I watched it that I had witnessed my favorite film of the year, so of course I was amped to see the sequel. While I do ultimately feel that Rise is the better film, Dawn is excellent in its own right, and it is what every sequel should strive to be. One thing I admire Dawn for is that it actually furthers the story without repeating the first movie. To explain, while I love the Toy Story films and think that it is essentially a perfect trilogy, it can't be denied that all three films accomplish storylines that are very similar to each other. This is a completely new story, and they develop ape characters to the next level after the events of the first film. It's almost like this film starts where the movie Contagion ends, and I like that the downfall of man all takes place in a montage in the film's opening credits, because really, the human characters in this are secondary. It's all about the apes, and they are the heart and soul of this. I wouldn't say that the human element is weak, but it simply pales in comparison. In addition to Caesar who is a star, we get a very developed villain in Koba. There is good and bad on either side of the species, but this primate is just bad news. I liked this a whole lot when I first watched it, and honestly, I like it even better now. I love how the apes interact with each other (my wife and I did the hand fealty thing as a joke months after the fact), and I think it is a pretty gutsy move that paid off to have the opening ten minutes to be without any spoken words. While I personally prefer the first movie, this is right on par, and you can make a sure bet that I will be watching the third movie this opening weekend.
July 16, 2017
The good news with this sequel, it takes everything that was great with the first film and builds another solid storyline. The special effects are incredible and the performances are very emotional, Caesar is just top notch. Koba is the greatest storyline taken from the first film, he suffered the worst treatment from humans and while Caesar suffered, it was nothing to Koba. This emotional charged storyline is nothing without the first film, the foundation was built there but this has the luxury of telling a grand story without building the world after a horrible Burton reboot. The franchise suffered from a director change and while Reaves felt like the wrong choice, he clearly new the world needed this story and created a film that surpasses the first. I don't feel this is a sequel, it's a continuing storyline that was built during the first film. I'm glad the filmmakers seen the Caesar and Koba storyline as the building block for the core of the storyline and with the new film arriving in 2 weeks, the franchise couldn't be in safer hands. 16-07-2017.
July 15, 2017
Epic and emotional, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is one of my favorite Sci-Fi films of the decade and is miles better than the previous film.
½ July 15, 2017
Two words: ANDY SERKIS
July 15, 2017
A fantastic sequel to an already great reboot.
The people behind these films have really done well to put new life into a dated series, while still holding high regard for their predecessors.
Where the first film concentrates on the evolution of the apes and remained very intimate in tone, albeit building to something bigger by the end, 'Dawn..' takes an entirely different approach with an action packed but still very intelligent blockbuster. The effects are absolutely fantastic. There is a subtlety to the apes that works a treat. Not overdoing the human characteristics so as to become cartoon like or cheesy, but also showing the significant changes in their behavior as they gradually become more human. This is especially well done in Caesar and Koba. The visuals elsewhere are equally stunning with a demolished San Francisco done perfectly with a mix of CGI and effective set design. The first sequence, concerning a hunt in the woods is instantly riveting and you can't help at marvel at the fluidity of the action. This is also evident in some later sequences as the inevitable war breaks out (well..we all know how its gonna end)
The human cast do well in their various roles with nothing too taxing expected of them. Slightly more significant roles from Gary Oldman and Jason Clarke are performed with conviction and you can genuinely get behind either of their goals (whichever one you may choose)
Maximum praise should be given to Andy Serkis once again. His understanding and grasp of motion capture, and his ability to give such incredible performances, while in the guise of all manner of creatures, continues to impress and astound. He is able to give such raw emotional depth to Caesar as a character that he is almost human. Which I suppose is the point. On the other hand, his total immersion into the animal side of Caesar, with his movement and body language, reminds you that you are still watching a chimp. The line is balanced perfectly and Serkis is fully in command. His performance is believable and completely committed. Credit is also due to Toby Kebbell as the man behind Koba.
I really enjoyed the entire experience of watching this film. It was dark and tense in parts, touching at times and the action was visceral and exciting. There are some beautiful shots throughout with real world effects and CGI so seamless that at times, you cannot actually tell them apart.
Can't wait to see where they take this franchise...
July 15, 2017
Miraculously put together by Matt Reeves, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is both a technical and a thematic achievement, delivering stunning visual effects, a tensely philosophical story, and deeply rich characters
½ July 14, 2017
7/14/2017 (2): A really good sequel with plenty of action. I look forward to see how the trilogy ends.
½ July 14, 2017
Nicely done...and more than an action film...