Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Reviews

½ September 19, 2017
Certainly an improvement over it's predecessor, 'Rise For The Planet Of The Apes', this sophomore effort proves to be a wasted opportunity. The general premise is very interesting and the beginning was strong but after the characters and problems are established it becomes more boring as it progresses. The human characters are somewhat better in this one but not by much. The special effects were probably the most impressive element of this whole project.
September 6, 2017
This was the story that I originally was expecting to watch when I had in mind "The Planet of the Apes" franchise. And I was not disappointed. "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" is a beautiful tale so well crafted, full of emotions and action. It raises so many interesting issues, it gives food for so many discussions. It's a heavy movie, it's not lighthearted and it just is such an ambitious dystopian tale. I'm now deeply invested in this story and I just hope the last installment will do this story justice. This movie had me so hooked and costantly at the edge of my seat. I loved it!
½ September 2, 2017
I was not a big fan of this one, as I was the first one. Although if you enjoy blow 'em ups, and ape fighting... you're in for a ride!
½ September 2, 2017
Emotional, well-paced, and just as intelligent as the titular Apes, Dawn improves on Rise without leaving it in the dust. Andy Serkis delivers another Oscar-worthy performance as Caesar, and most of the supporting cast are great as well. Topped off with great action and a thoughtful message, this film is almost as good as the 1968 original.
August 31, 2017
Really enjoyable sequel. Looking forward to seeing the third installment.
August 25, 2017
love the new take. well done $8.50
½ August 24, 2017
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is another wonderful movie. As a sequel to 'Rise' it feels completely different on a whole but referencing its roots enough to stay in keeping. It doesn't have a lot of action but when it does it feels epic and the effects are top drawer. The storytelling is where this movie excels, its an imaginative spin to the original movie and has some beautiful moments. This movie has the ability to make you gasp which is terrific, at times when it should feel silly in hindsight it just works effortlessly. The tempo of this movie does rely heavily on the other party not knowing something, throwing back and fourth using the same technique although this does not take away from the overall breath taking entertainment.
½ August 22, 2017
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is not interesting as its predecessor, but its well crafted visual effects, the harmonious soundtrack, the witted bloodybath thrilling fight scenes and well-written script compensated that fact.
August 20, 2017
This stunningly epic sequel -- jam packed with beautiful cinematography and an impressive cast -- is almost certain to leave viewers on the edge of their seat.
August 17, 2017
Dark, gritty, emotional, the second film in the Planet of the Apes prequel trilogy is likely my favorite of the three. It takes place a few years after the original film as an ape virus has killed off most of the human population leaving those immune to fend for themselves in an almost post apocalyptic world. The film once again, as with the first film, shows neither side as the true enemy. You feel for the struggled of both sides with humans struggling to survive while being stricken with fear facing ape foes that are far superior to them, while the apes on the other side are shown with families and the desire to simply be left alone to their own society. Of course, peace cannot last for long in this universe. This is a story about betrayal, it is a story about Caesar becoming what he needs to be to lead the apes to victory and peace, it is a story about understand and the certain humans who know the truth and their struggle to convince the others. It's an emotional film with moments that, if invested enough into the apes, can bring on some tears. While the ending can bring on some chills.
August 17, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Well Scott, here comes another performance capture movie starring Andy Serkis. It truly looks like he s playing another Sirkis animal!

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Sirkis is chimply marvelous in this role. Let s recap.

GREG: It s been ten years since Caesar (Andy Serkis), the genetically modified chimp from Rise of the Planet of the Apes escaped into the forests of San Francisco. A lot has happened. There was an outbreak of simian flu that decimated humanity leaving only a handful of humans who were genetically immune to the disease. Meanwhile, Caesar has freed hundreds of apes from human captivity and taught them to communicate by sign language. They ve created an entire culture separate from the humans. Then, one day, a human named Carver (Kirk Acevedo) in search of a hydroelectric dam happens upon a couple of apes and he shoots one of them.

SCOTT: Caesar warns the humans never to venture into ape territory again. But the humans need to get the dam operational to regain electrical power. They send Malcolm (Jason Clarke), his wife Ellie (Keri Russell), and a few others, including Carver, to negotiate access to the dam. Caesar agrees, but only if the group gives up their guns. Carver hides a gun and threatens Caesar s infant son with it, causing an uproar that is only quelled by Ellie s willingness to provide medical treatment to Caesar s wife. Meanwhile, an ape named Koba (Toby Kebbell), who will not accept any peace with the humans, sabotages relations between the two groups by secretly setting fire to the ape settlement and attempting to assassinate Caesar.

GREG: Scott, this was a much better film than 2011 s Rise of the Planet of the Apes. There were some real personalities here and some real conflict. We see two sets of characters at play - the humans and the apes. On the side of the humans we have Malcolm who wants peace with the apes. On the other side is Caesar who looks at the dam agreement as their one chance for peace with the humans. But both sides have their hawks as well. The humans have Dreyfus (Gary Oldman) who is so mistrustful of the apes that he starts hoarding weapons. This, of course, inflames the ape Koba (Toby Kebbell) who has reason to distrust humans as he was the victim of experiments at the hands of human scientists. This creates a great conflict both between human and ape as well as between hawks and doves. Sadly, Keri Russell isn t given much to do here except stand by her man. And the female chimp (Caesar s wife) does little more than give birth and get sick. Apparently, the future is still male-dominated.

SCOTT: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a complex film. Admittedly, it does have some of the telltale signs of a summer blockbuster - flying bullets, daredevil stunts, and plenty of explosions. But these superficial trappings of summer popcorn bely the true meaty core of this very measured and thoughtful movie. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes made me think, and it s been a long time since I ve had to really turn my brain on at the movies. First and foremost, this is a movie about the very real and very demanding challenges of resolving intergroup conflict. We learn that sometimes good leadership isn t enough. There must also be good followership in that a critical mass of people being led need to be on board with the vision of an effective leader. As you point out, Greg, we have peace-loving leadership on both sides but only a few bad apples can undermine all the good intentions.

GREG: The hero structure looks like (what we describe in our book Reel Heroes: Volume 1) a divergent duo. They start out as separate characters, opposed to working together. But with time, they form a bond. They work together toward a common goal. During this period they are buddy heroes. But in the end, they go their separate ways. Destiny has played its hand and humans and apes cannot be friends - war is their ultimate demise.

SCOTT: Good call on the heroes in this movie being divergent heroes, Greg. I m beginning to believe that divergent hero stories are my favorite kind of stories because they provide two separate hero tales for the price of one. Often, the two separate hero journeys become intertwined in surprising ways. Last year s Philomena comes to mind, for example. In Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Caesar and Malcolm are wise and well-intentioned, yet they are brought down by forces beyond their control that rage all around them. The joy of the movie is watching how our two heroes act on their virtuous characteristics, and how they respond to the treachery of their sidekicks. One of my beefs with this movie centers on the character of Carver. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes begins with Carver needlessly shooting one of the apes. He s a racist hothead who should never have been chosen to go on the expedition in the first place, and yet, inexplicably, he s chosen again to accompany Malcolm on the trip to repair the dam. Surely there are more even-keeled and reasonable alternatives to Carver. Yes, we need Carver s misbehavior to help add dramatic tension, but it stretched the bounds of believability for me.

GREG: I have to agree with you on that. I was really impressed with the quality of the CGI in this film. There s a point where Caesar and Malcolm touch foreheads and you cannot see any dividing line between them. Caesar s hair becomes matted down by Malcolm s head. It s simple amazing. And the full articulation of the facial features is wonderful. This is an order of magnitude better than the original Gollum character that Sirkis created for Lord of the Rings. The villains in this story are driven by their fear - the heroes are driven by their vision. It s a compelling difference to watch. As you point out, Carver is the bigot who cannot see past the limitations of stereotypes he s been taught. Koba, the hawkish ape, has been harmed so badly by humans that he cannot see past his pain. And Dreyfus is intent on saving what s left of humanity. He doesn t have the space to work toward a peaceable trust. This was an interesting collection of villains, with just enough depth to make them interesting.

SCOTT: What I appreciate most about the heroes and villains in this movie is the fact that they exist on both sides of the dispute. There are ape heroes and ape villains. And there are human heroes and human villains. This film could have taken the easy route and made one side all good and the other side all bad, but it decided that nuance and realism were more important than the usual oversimplification we see at the movies. I also appreciate the complex motives that drive the villainous behavior. Besides the usual racist ethnocentrism, there is fear that drives both sides to aggress against the other. There is also the bitter memory of past oppression, which fuels Koba s hatred of humanity. And finally there is pure ignorance. The humans underestimate ape intelligence, and the apes underestimate human goodness. Again, this film really nails the genesis of intergroup conflict.

GREG: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is an intelligent and intelligently crafted science fiction thriller that examines the heart of war. At 130 minutes long, it tested my attention in places. However, it is the best of the Apes franchise and I give it a hearty 4 out of 5 Reels. The heroes in this story are interesting and deeply drawn. The emotive power of Sirkis Caesar was simply amazing and helped to tell the full story. The duo/divergent heroes is a pattern we ve seen before, but played especially well here. I give Malcolm and Caesar 4 out of 5 Heroes. Finally, the villains were not as strong as the heroes. Carver plays the typical purely bad guy. Koba is at least given a decent backstory to motivate his hatred. Dreyfus as the leader of the humans will do whatever he can to ensure the survival of his people, but is too blind to see the larger picture. I wish the villains were as detailed as the heroes, so I give them only 3 out of 5 Villains. Movie: Villains: Heroes:

SCOTT: Greg, we re on the same page on two of the three ratings. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a refreshing reprieve from the usual summer mindless popcorn fare that infects movie theaters. This film is a thought-provoking look at human conflict, how it begins, how hard it is to avoid, and how difficult it is to stop once it has started. Yes, this movie reeks of patriarchy, and once again the limited role of women in a Hollywood film is disappointing. Still, I enjoyed this movie very much and give it 4 out of 5 Reels. Our two divergent heroes are a joy to watch, not just because they time and again show wisdom and compassion, but because their journeys are arduous and realistic. Are they transformed by their journeys? Yes, and in profound ways. Caesar has certainly learned the true value of family and friends, and he pays a dear price for holding naive views of ape goodness and human trustworthiness. Like you, I ll give our pair of heroes 4 out of 5 Heroes. We disagree about the villains, Greg. Most movies devote little time to fleshing out the details of villains motives and backstory. With Koba, we see the origins of evil; the past torturing of Koba may not justify his actions but it makes them understandable. The human leader, Dreyfus, also has a history and set of motivations that leave us understanding his aggressive behavior but not condoning it. The villains here are complex and fascinating. I m happy to give them a full 5 out of 5 Villains. Movie: Villains: Heroes:
August 17, 2017
Not many lines but enough to express the message. I love Caesar... However, I had impression that they just changed human characters into apes in the story.
½ August 14, 2017
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is just as good as Rise. It is surprising, action packed, and emotional. To top it all off, it has top notch cinematography.
½ August 11, 2017
Dawn goes bigger and better (and when I say better, I mean BETTER) with a smart plot, awesome action, and an effective dramatic tone. In my opinion, one of the best sequels ever.
½ August 11, 2017
My full opinion: 8.8/10.
½ August 7, 2017
This film was a great sequel to rise and is better in my opinion. I like the story and the conflicts in the film. Andy Serkis was great and the motion capture was better in this film. I also enjoyed Gary Oldman and Jason Clarke's characters. Overall it was a great film.

9.0/10
August 5, 2017
A great sequel to the first installment of this reboot franchise. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes presents a powerful, emotional, and iconic story that develops each character further more, while also serving as a perfect set-up for a third installment being centered around a human-ape all out war. The casting was perfect for this movie. Every actor showed deep emotion and acting for his or her character. And the brilliant motion capture performances were another factor that pushed this movie above expectations.
August 4, 2017
Even better then Rise of the Planet of the Apes
August 1, 2017
G8 and keeps getting better I want more
July 31, 2017
Puntaje original: 6.0

Esta entrega cuenta con las balas y explosiones suficientes para justificar su dinero invertido y llenar las salas de cine con la mayor cantidad de afluencia.