Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Reviews

½ March 13, 2018
I did not expect the pleasant surprise that was Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. While opening with clichéd apocalyptic "news coverage", it does help set the tone for the seriousness of this movie. And from that point forward the CGI Apes steal the show. Andy Serkis and his fellow CGI actors really add life to these creatures, and you really grow attached to this ape colony throughout the film. It also probably helps that the apes look very realistic. The human actors though are kind of generic who become for the most part unmemorable, but not necessarily bad. But I guess what really sells me is the score composed for the film. Simple, mostly piano, but boy does it bring out the emotion needed for certain moments of the film. This is definitely, in my opinion, the best film in the entire franchise.
½ February 14, 2018
Too melodramatic to be truly great
½ February 9, 2018
I suppose when you've got talking apes there's no point making the rest of the plot plausible, but the ending really contradicts the sentiment of the rest of the film.
½ February 8, 2018
A massively entertaining sequel that surpasses the 2011 reboot in every way.
½ February 2, 2018
I enjoy watching this series, but find the apes far more emotive than the people.
½ January 21, 2018
Dawn and War both suffer from the same problem, great cgi and effects but a weak plot and story line.
January 21, 2018
The follow-up to Rise of the Planet of the Apes lives up to the hype. The effects are even better now and the apes look incredibly real. The story is moving along very well, as the plot is interesting and entertaining.
½ January 15, 2018
Riveting and beautiful, the second Planet of the Apes film ups its already good predecessor with intelligence and intimacy. This movie seems to have everything going for it: it is a technological achievement, gorgeous in every frame, smart, narratively complex (at least for a summer flick), and human. I can't believe I missed out on this franchise for so long, but I'm glad I've seen it now-and I won't soon forget it.
½ January 13, 2018
came out of a laboratory..

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes

Matt creates this wiped-out world filled with dreadful characters that comes with their own baggage and of course an addition to an important chapter on Andy Serkis; this is a big bang.
January 11, 2018

An impressive film on a number of fronts. The filmography, CGI, and sound are beautifully executed. The CGI effects help rather than hinder the performances of the "apes." Andy Serkis (Caesar), Nick Thurston (Blue Eyes) and Toby Kebell (Koba) -- together with their animators -- pull off brilliant performances. The cast of human characters almost rival their ape counterparts, which includes the great Gary Oldman, but the sometimes phony performances of Jason Clarke and Kerri Russell hampers this somewhat.

Nonetheless, "Dawn" is an impressive follow-up to "Rise" and begins to establish a setting for the original "Apes" movie, starring Charlton Heston. The plot is full of unexpected twists and turns and consistently suspenseful.

SPOILER ALERT: One complaint I initially had was the manner of Koba's death and how Caesar seems to give in to an elitist attitude that deems to judge an ape (as anthropomorphized human) no longer worthy of being called an "ape" (as anthropomorphized human.) Essentially, Caesar here falls into the same trap as his human counterparts, as well as Koba, that condenses that sentient life worth saving to a particular type of sentient life. For Koba, this is exclusively apes that serve his every whim. For many of the humans, this is exclusively themselves. Disappointingly, for Caesar, only that life that meets his standard of morality (which is indeed a comparatively generous one) is worth saving. However, I am informed that Koba's breathing is heard toward the of the credits and that Caesar's character has not been morally resolved after his attempted execution of Koba. I have yet to see the sequel: a resolution to this moral conundrum may yet emerge.
January 9, 2018
Once again, the human side of the story hold the film back with uninteresting characters that are shockingly hard to connect with. And, once again, the apes are still the coolest part of the film. Dawn also does a great job of showing plausible situation, and no character makes an unrealistic or dumb decision, as well as some of the most riveting and exciting action set pieces.

January 8, 2018
Ótimo filme! Manteve a qualidade do primeiro!
January 6, 2018
Ambitious, thought provoking, and apes with machine guns on horseback.
January 2, 2018
this was the one I enjoyed best.
½ December 28, 2017
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a great followup to it`s predictor. Although it`s a very slow paced movie once it gets going it`s a movie with great action but not over the top action, and a very strong plot that lets us know both sides of the story.
½ December 27, 2017
You've got to see this movie its concept and excecution are amazing!
December 22, 2017
Great sequel that continues to do the originals justice...Thoroughly enjoyed and a movie that can be watched numerous times without lost of interest.
½ December 21, 2017
not as good as the first reboot, but still good.
December 19, 2017
Puntaje original: 6.0

Esta entrega cuenta con las balas y explosiones suficientes para justificar su dinero invertido y llenar las salas de cine con la mayor cantidad de afluencia.
½ December 18, 2017
When watching "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes", I couldn't help but compare its opening moments to that of "Dances with Wolves". When the film starts out, the audience is subjected to watching a series of nearly dialogue-free moments from the apes. Instead of the expected din of gunshots and explosions, we watch the primates display their use of sign language while spending time in the culture the culture of the apes while learning about the environment/community that the apes have set up and how it compares to the society of the humans. The comparison to "Dances with Wolves" is a bit inevitable for me, but I compare the two films in the best possible way. Just like with "Dances with Wolves", the audience is able to learn about the characters and the environment that they are placed in right off of the bat. So little action really happens in the first few scenes, and yet so many ideas and emotions are conveyed that I would much rather prefer this steady build up as opposed to action right off the bat; it's a more realistic, earnest approach to a movie such as this, and it's one that I don't feel as though we see enough of.
After the mesmerizing opening, this movie kicks itself into high gear-in a large part due to the impressive acting. Just like with "The Dark Knight", the characters are so well written with so much thought put into them that I tend to forget that I'm watching intelligent apes blow everything up. This is a rarity that works as both a sci-fi thriller and as a a resonant drama. These characters are so believable-and dare I say relate able that I would enjoy these characters whether they were apes or not; they work that well. Let's face it: you can tell you've made a good movie if even the antagonist's motives are understandable.
Another part of this movie that had me pleasantly surprised was its collection of realistic CGI. I know that this isn't a popular opinion, but I found the CGI to be incredible-especially by 2014 standards. As time goes on, the film industry finds itself growing more and more in the department of eye catching visuals, and "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" marks a large step forward for the special effects category. Not are most of the details beautifully realized, but the CGI itself is able to play itself into the story without becoming too much of a nuisance. The filmmakers seem to know this as well. Several times, the camera will pan across a battlefield depicting a skirmish or battle, and there were hardly any moments in these battles that I would depict as "fake."
That's not to say that the CGI is the only thing carrying this film. (It isn't.) Andy Serkis returns as Caesar, and gives it his all as usual. Meanwhile, Jason Clark shines as Malcolm as both actors represent sides fighting for the title of dominant species. It's with performances like these in which I can't help but admire the amount of effort put into the acting; especially considering the fact that 75% of the actors were either reacting to nothing or playing the role of a primate. Even the words spoken by the actors sound something like how one would expect apes to talk if they could. But here's the thing: not all of the characters have equal emphasis placed on each of them. Gary Oldman is also in this movie, but what could have been a great character played by a great actor can't help but get lost in the midst of all of the other characters. And he's not the only one; with acting as great as this and characters as well thought out as this, it's a bit of a shame that they're kind of forgotten about towards the end. This doesn't ruin the film entirely, but it does come off as a bit of a disappointment.
On a lighter note however, this movie also displays an innovative build of tension. Some may not have enjoyed the "slow first half," but the characters combined with the looming feeling of doom slowly-almost unbearably-build up to an entertaining and intense second half that is all I could've hoped for. Not only does this build up lead to an epic second half, but the second half itself also offers an (SPOILER) amazing shot of a tank shooting at the enemy in a 360 degree angle with the audience in the tank's perspective witnessing the effect of the weapon. (END OF SPOILER)
All in all, "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" is not only an epic sci-fi adventure, but also manages to be an effective drama in the process. I highly recommend that you watch this movie whenever you have time. (Preferably with your friends.)