Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Reviews

½ May 4, 2018
Caesar has his ideology questioned when a fellow ape turns on him.

Pros
- Good CGI

Cons
- Mostly action.
- Gary Oldman's talent is wasted.
- Malcolm is miscast.
- Missed opportunities.

Final Thoughts
Gary Oldman should have been Malcolm. This movie suffers the same problem as the previous movie. The male lead is not good enough to carry the movie. No offense to James Franco or Jason Clarke. Both of them are miscast. Oldman's character mopes around for two hours and doesn't really do much. What a waste of a great talent. None of the human characters are memorable. They're background noise.

The only interesting interaction is with the boy and Maurice, but it never goes any further than that. They missed an opportunity to have Maurice see the boy as a son. Maurice could have then told Caesar that he didn't think the humans were all bad. At the end, they could have had the boy die and it's affect on Maurice.

Maurice is never developed beyond being Caesars friend. In fact, the spotlight is only given to a few apes. Even Caesar's wife is nothing more than Caesar's wife. It seems a lot of character development was cast aside for an action movie. If we got to know who these other apes were, we would actually care what happens to them. But like the humans, most of the apes are just background noise.

Koba is shown mostly as a usurper, but he makes a good point. The humans are clearly testing their weapons and we see they have tanks and rocket launchers. Once they get power, they may want to attack the apes. They should have had Koba tell Caesar and have it play out exactly the same. But the way they did it looks like Koba wanted the throne.

Not as good as "Rise". Makes a point to say that there are defects in all societies, but the message is overshadowed by all the action.
April 23, 2018
Wow what a beautifully done film the CGI was nearly flawless and made the experience feel weird and slightly creepy which made the film easier to watch and enjoy. Enjoy i did I loved every moment of this film and cant wait to watch it again and again. Must see in Theaters...Now!!
April 21, 2018
Don't waist your time with this movie.
½ April 11, 2018
incredible special effects conjure an atmosphere of stunning realism to the talking apes, while never ceasing to expand on its predecessor's study of humanism with its sagaciously contemplative undertones. a little morose, but temperamentally tender and intimates intelligence with extraordinary method.
April 8, 2018
So much excellent CGI and backdrops, and many gripping scenes. Yet a movie that could have been so much more. Some of it is contrivance (the human who hates apes and always bring a gun to mess things up), some of it is cheesiness (apes seize automatic weapons and three minutes later are firing them, despite their lack of training or opposable thumbs... fortunately they're Hollywood Wonder-Guns that fire thousands of rounds without reloading. Silliness.) Or it's just the limp dialogue. Great movie to look at, but a lame plot and characters that aren't well drawn enough to care about. I give it three stars for technical excellence.
½ March 25, 2018
Overall, the film was astounding, visually and story-wise. It perfectly sets up a sequel (War for the Planet of the Apes) and works well on its own too. I would rate the film a 8.9/10.
½ March 24, 2018
Written with a completely irony laden anti-war and anti-racism plot combining that with superb special effects depicting pro-peace Caesar vs pro-war and violently bigoted Koba, the "Donald Trump" of the Apes, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes comes out as one of the best films of 2014.
½ March 22, 2018
I found the apes much too human-like and even having english writing school after 10 years in the wild. An evil one ready to betray. And the rest a bunch of suckers, including the son of ceasar (joke about the real Jules I suppose). Same old war movie, except with apes.
½ March 13, 2018
I did not expect the pleasant surprise that was Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. While opening with clichéd apocalyptic "news coverage", it does help set the tone for the seriousness of this movie. And from that point forward the CGI Apes steal the show. Andy Serkis and his fellow CGI actors really add life to these creatures, and you really grow attached to this ape colony throughout the film. It also probably helps that the apes look very realistic. The human actors though are kind of generic who become for the most part unmemorable, but not necessarily bad. But I guess what really sells me is the score composed for the film. Simple, mostly piano, but boy does it bring out the emotion needed for certain moments of the film. This is definitely, in my opinion, the best film in the entire franchise.
½ February 14, 2018
Too melodramatic to be truly great
½ February 9, 2018
I suppose when you've got talking apes there's no point making the rest of the plot plausible, but the ending really contradicts the sentiment of the rest of the film.
½ February 8, 2018
A massively entertaining sequel that surpasses the 2011 reboot in every way.
½ February 2, 2018
I enjoy watching this series, but find the apes far more emotive than the people.
½ January 21, 2018
Dawn and War both suffer from the same problem, great cgi and effects but a weak plot and story line.
January 21, 2018
The follow-up to Rise of the Planet of the Apes lives up to the hype. The effects are even better now and the apes look incredibly real. The story is moving along very well, as the plot is interesting and entertaining.
½ January 15, 2018
Riveting and beautiful, the second Planet of the Apes film ups its already good predecessor with intelligence and intimacy. This movie seems to have everything going for it: it is a technological achievement, gorgeous in every frame, smart, narratively complex (at least for a summer flick), and human. I can't believe I missed out on this franchise for so long, but I'm glad I've seen it now-and I won't soon forget it.
½ January 13, 2018
came out of a laboratory..

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes

Matt creates this wiped-out world filled with dreadful characters that comes with their own baggage and of course an addition to an important chapter on Andy Serkis; this is a big bang.
January 11, 2018
+JMJ

An impressive film on a number of fronts. The filmography, CGI, and sound are beautifully executed. The CGI effects help rather than hinder the performances of the "apes." Andy Serkis (Caesar), Nick Thurston (Blue Eyes) and Toby Kebell (Koba) -- together with their animators -- pull off brilliant performances. The cast of human characters almost rival their ape counterparts, which includes the great Gary Oldman, but the sometimes phony performances of Jason Clarke and Kerri Russell hampers this somewhat.

Nonetheless, "Dawn" is an impressive follow-up to "Rise" and begins to establish a setting for the original "Apes" movie, starring Charlton Heston. The plot is full of unexpected twists and turns and consistently suspenseful.

SPOILER ALERT: One complaint I initially had was the manner of Koba's death and how Caesar seems to give in to an elitist attitude that deems to judge an ape (as anthropomorphized human) no longer worthy of being called an "ape" (as anthropomorphized human.) Essentially, Caesar here falls into the same trap as his human counterparts, as well as Koba, that condenses that sentient life worth saving to a particular type of sentient life. For Koba, this is exclusively apes that serve his every whim. For many of the humans, this is exclusively themselves. Disappointingly, for Caesar, only that life that meets his standard of morality (which is indeed a comparatively generous one) is worth saving. However, I am informed that Koba's breathing is heard toward the of the credits and that Caesar's character has not been morally resolved after his attempted execution of Koba. I have yet to see the sequel: a resolution to this moral conundrum may yet emerge.
January 9, 2018
Once again, the human side of the story hold the film back with uninteresting characters that are shockingly hard to connect with. And, once again, the apes are still the coolest part of the film. Dawn also does a great job of showing plausible situation, and no character makes an unrealistic or dumb decision, as well as some of the most riveting and exciting action set pieces.

A-
January 8, 2018
Ótimo filme! Manteve a qualidade do primeiro!