Death in Brunswick (Nothing to Lose) Reviews

• Nov 17, 2019

Made in 1990 and expired a few years later. Dated, shoddy and a disorderly finale.

• Jan 07, 2016

Margaret and David gave this 4.5 stars when it was released in 1990 and Stratton called Sam Neill's performance his best to date ( though it's a bit of a miscast really). This marks the first time I find myself baffled by the expertise of two of my favourite critics but I assume there weren't many indie black comedies going around Australian screens at the time, so fair enough. In fact, some say this was the very first one of them so I guess they had to welcome it! It's really cool to see old Brunswick on the big screen but maybe the novel is better than the film? Initially, it failed to get funding from the big agencies but it ended up clearing over $4M in box office sales. You would have thought this feat would have opened a few doors for more multicultural films since then, right? Oh, wait...

• Jan 19, 2014

The films settings are rather entertaining but the plot and direction is a bit far fetched to fathom.

• Jun 02, 2012

This is a Pre DNA evidence, Pre Pauline Hanson grave farce that doesn't put a foot wrong. Despite being a devoted Withnail geek, I'd have to place this as my favourite cult comedy of all time. You can almost smell Sydney Rd !1990 and the mullets have just morphed from being fashionable 80's hairdos to being well.... mullets. Sam Neil's Cal is the archetypical Aussie slacker you'd have found at the time at the Exeter on Rundle St, in Freo, or at the Punter's on Brunswick St. Boyd Oxlade, and John Ruane wrote their slacker comedy before Linklater ,et al,got around to calling it an Indie genre in the US ! With it's cast of Turks, Kiwis and Greek Aussies this was an Australian film in the very best sense. Neill, Carides, Clarke and the whole supporting cast are excellent. For all of us wannabe bohemians this classic shall never date.

• Jul 28, 2011

Black humour comedy that was good.

Black humour comedy that was good.

• Sep 26, 2010

Sam Neill is brilliant as ever in this small flick from down under. (Never visit Bankstown in Oz either).

• Jul 31, 2010

A rewatch, but this is a quality little Australian film. At times can be a meandering affair, but it's lack of direction at time is what makes it endearing. Sam Neill is almost made for this role.

• Jul 18, 2010

I'm not sure if this is intentionally odd, or it's just aged strangely, but this film is sharp and underrated.

• Jul 11, 2010

This Movie Always Reminds me of Brunswick ; What a Place !!!

This Movie Always Reminds me of Brunswick ; What a Place !!!

• Jan 18, 2010