Dial M for Murder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dial M for Murder Reviews

February 6, 2018
I found this piece along with Rope to be Hitchcock's most underrated films. It's dialogue is so intriguing and sets up such a tense situation and watching it unfold was like watching a jenga set slowly topple over but in a beautifully controlled way. The performances are all around good and the screenplay and perspectives kept me feeling sympathy for the characters, regardless the acts they were commuting. Perhaps this won't reach those who want a serial killing mother or murderer across the street from Hitchcock but those looking for a solid classic thriller, this delivers on all fronts.
½ January 18, 2018
Comes across as rather staged, but the plot itself is more than absorbing enough to compensate. The unfolding mystery is pretty enjoyable. Admittedly not my favourite Hitchcock film, but a satisfying thriller nonetheless.
January 6, 2018
Brilliant film by Hitchcock. Wonder why I'd never seen up to now.
December 31, 2017
5 stars speaks for itself but I'll say a few words. Though it doesn't quite match the absolutely chilling suspense of "Wait Until Dark", the plot is extraordinarily well-written. John Williams is excellent. Oh, and the title is way more morbid than the film.
December 26, 2017
M-F-O

8.7

[Alfred Hitchcock]
½ December 4, 2017
A classic, a fantastic Hitchcock film! Dial M for Murder is incredibly written and directed, the performances are great and the story is like no other. I really enjoyed this film.
November 6, 2017
An often overlooked & underrated thriller from the master of suspense Alfred Hitchcock. The simple but effective story of a man planning perfectly how to kill his wife but a few things arise not to plan.

Released also in 3D in its day was a big sensation especially for fans of Grace Kelly.

Hitchcock just takes this world largely set in a living room to such a dimension. It's gripping & hair raising film...a must see classic...recently released on 3D Blu Ray.
November 2, 2017
Dial M for Murder is lacking in terms of tension and suspense, but this is still a very good, talkative and engaging crime mystery with particularly strong performances from Ray Milland and Grace Kelly who both excelled in their roles. The cinematography and direction are superb as the film makes a great use of its confined setting with a couple of very interesting, brilliantly shot sequences. It isn't one of Hitchcock's best, but it is still a pretty good, competent film in its own right.
November 2, 2017
Bearing lots of similarities with Hitchcock's previous work, particularly "Rope", but with less believable acting and murder incentive, this is probably an early case of Hitchcock not being at the top of his game, but it still delivers with its shocking midpoint sequence.
October 11, 2017
I?m trying my hardest to think of something that I didn?t like about Dial M for Murder, and I?m having a tough time. Everything about this story clicked for me. I was glued to the screen as I watched the plot unfold, and each step of the way I was dying to see what would happen next. It?s like one mystery after the next and with each one there comes renewed tension for me as a viewer. The way the story is structured allows the viewer to know exactly how things are supposed to work so we feel the drama waiting for the inevitable. Also there is a fair amount of foreshadowing which pays off brilliantly later on in the story (let?s just say having a mystery writer as a character is a great idea.)

Ray Milland is one of the primary reasons this movie works so well. He is left with the unenviable task of delivering massive amounts of exposition, and also having entire silent scenes alone on screen doing a lot of physical work. It all hinges on him keeping it interesting in both types of scenes, and he nails it. I?m always fascinated by the kind of dialogue where a person is saying one thing and you can tell they mean something different, and that?s almost half of what is going on for Milland. It doesn?t hurt that he has a brilliant cast of actors with him including Grace Kelly, Robert Cummings, Anthony Dawson, and John Williams. All of them are vital to making the movie work.

I am constantly reminded how much I love Hitchcock?s style of film-making. For one thing, he uses the camera in interesting ways in order to make a shot as effective for the scene as possible. Like in the murder planning scene he goes to a high and wide angle so we can see the entire room laid out like a map. Then he captures it all in what seems like a single shot so we can take in the full order of events as they are supposed to happen later. He also uses darkness and silent pauses to create dramatic pressure which builds up until the viewer is ready to pop, and just when we can stand it no more things explode. It?s all about pacing between the way actors move, the music, and everything else, and I love it! I could go on, but there?s only so many ways I can praise what is obviously a brilliant movie I loved and will revisit soon. I suspect this will rival some of my all-time favorites soon.
October 8, 2017
It's a Hitchcock classic - beautiful actors, controlled setting, dramatic soundtrack and lots of talking. You either like it or you do. :)
September 20, 2017
Just a great movie to watch! Top notch Hitchcock! Loved the plot and loved the inspector! Especially his little mustache comb! Really good movie!
½ September 1, 2017
Another classic from the great Alfred Hitchcock has a great deal of suspense, is really well acted, I like the plot and script, it is fun to watch Ray Milland's character Tony Wendice dodge and weave his way through each situation to keep himself from suspicion, it is well paced and the conclusion is satisfying.
½ August 12, 2017
Don't watch old movies but this was very clever
½ July 11, 2017
'Dial M For Murder' holds a special place in my heart for being one of the first Hitchcock films I ever saw and it absolutely stole my heart.
In the time since then I've seen most of the master's filmography and now recognize this as less than some of other masterpieces but it is still a thrilling piece of work.

What I love the most about it is the way it so effortlessly manipulates us as an audience to root for this guy to get away with the attempted murder of his wife! Few filmmakers can pull that off and now I think I need a bath to wash this proverbial dirt off.
July 3, 2017
Since no one on here will do it, I'm going to praise Robert Cummings' performance in this. After all, his devotion to Grace Kelly saves the day. Another disturbing opinion about this movie is how some reviewers on here claim they would plot their own wives murder like Ray Milland. Really? Have people suddenly stopped getting divorces? Despite my quibbles about humanity, I can find nothing to quibble about with this picture. It is what it is. The attempted murder scene is one of Hitchcock's most chilling movie moments. It's right up there with Psycho and Frenzy in that department...
March 16, 2017
Not the best Hitchcock but is still great
February 19, 2017
Excellent Hitchcock thriller with interesting and amusing dialogues and black humor. The cast is awesome.
January 25, 2017
A remarkable piece of thrilling suspense... So remarkable that the audience barely realizes the whole thing practically happens in a single room.
½ January 23, 2017
Dial M For Murder finds Hitchcock going into unfamiliar territory by extremely lessening his usual suspenseful scenes, but he more than makes up for it with an expertly told mystery.