Dial M for Murder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dial M for Murder Reviews

½ August 12, 2017
Don't watch old movies but this was very clever
½ July 11, 2017
'Dial M For Murder' holds a special place in my heart for being one of the first Hitchcock films I ever saw and it absolutely stole my heart.
In the time since then I've seen most of the master's filmography and now recognize this as less than some of other masterpieces but it is still a thrilling piece of work.

What I love the most about it is the way it so effortlessly manipulates us as an audience to root for this guy to get away with the attempted murder of his wife! Few filmmakers can pull that off and now I think I need a bath to wash this proverbial dirt off.
July 3, 2017
Since no one on here will do it, I'm going to praise Robert Cummings' performance in this. After all, his devotion to Grace Kelly saves the day. Another disturbing opinion about this movie is how some reviewers on here claim they would plot their own wives murder like Ray Milland. Really? Have people suddenly stopped getting divorces? Despite my quibbles about humanity, I can find nothing to quibble about with this picture. It is what it is. The attempted murder scene is one of Hitchcock's most chilling movie moments. It's right up there with Psycho and Frenzy in that department...
March 16, 2017
Not the best Hitchcock but is still great
February 19, 2017
Excellent Hitchcock thriller with interesting and amusing dialogues and black humor. The cast is awesome.
January 25, 2017
A remarkable piece of thrilling suspense... So remarkable that the audience barely realizes the whole thing practically happens in a single room.
½ January 23, 2017
Dial M For Murder finds Hitchcock going into unfamiliar territory by extremely lessening his usual suspenseful scenes, but he more than makes up for it with an expertly told mystery.
January 14, 2017
A Lot of the movie suspense is lost when tony explains his murder plan to swann. The murder didnt live up to expectations. the plot remains weak though throughly mistake free. In the end it's just another classic hitchcock movie which is know for strong deliverance by the actors the finale where everything falls into place.
½ January 8, 2017
9 out of 10:

It's a bit slow but Dial M for Murder is full of great suspense and performances.
½ December 16, 2016
I saw in 3D (grand) and enjoyed the story and some of the acting, especially the lead policeman. I found myself wishing I knew more about personal banking in GB in the 1950s...which is not a good thing.
December 15, 2016
For a movie that is essentially a play largely set in one room for 95% of its running time, Ray Milland's charismatic performance and a fine (if occasionally slightly stilted) script make this a great Hitchcock movie. Grace Kelly is always easy on the eye and though not her best performance she's still perfectly cast here. It's hard to believe this movie was made in 3D and having seen the 3D version it does have it's merits though mainly as a curio to see how Hitchcock uses the technique under such constraints.
½ December 15, 2016
Probably the best of all the Hitchcock crime films..
½ December 11, 2016
I love that a movie about murder is clean enough to be shown on a Sunday afternoon. I couldn't focus on it cos there was also football on and that took priority. Hence the low rating for now. I'll come back to it someday.
½ November 28, 2016
The tension and leverage in the plot seesaw constantly, which must be the result of considerable artistry, sweat and craft by everyone involved. It must be meticulously crafted. But the strings never show.
November 27, 2016
One of the best from Alfred Hitchcock. Enjoyable suspense and great casts. Ray Milland is ex-tennis pro who married wealthy Grace Kelly. She have an affair with Robert Cummings but she ended it. After a year he return, Grace said she burnt all their letters except one which was stolen by a guy who blackmail her for $50. She paid but it wasn't returned. She also can't divorce Ray as she don't want to hurt him. Ray knew their affair all along and was the one who stole the letter and pretend blackmailer. He plot the murder of her for money. Ray find a former classmate Anthony Dawson who is now a petty criminal for the job. Anthony has many secrets Ray got hold of and he has to obey. Ray make use of the return of Robert to plan the murder. On the night the 2 men goes out, Ray took her key and put it outside the stairs carpet for Anthony to open the door. Ray call back home after 11pm just when Anthony is about to leave because the phone didn't ring before that as planned. Grace answer the phone for Anthony to strangle her from behind. She put up a fight and accidentally kill him with a scissors. Ray think of plan B now to frame the murder of Anthony onto Grace. Make it look like she kill the blackmailer. Ray plant the stolen love letter on Anthony and burns the murder weapon (a scarf) to replace with her stocking. And put back the key into Grace handbag. John Williams is the inspector investigating. He begin to believe the evidence and Grace stands trial, guilty of murder. Ray sure didn't expected that the key in Anthony pocket is his own apartment. The $1000 bounty he spend on things is notice by the police. A day before execution, Robert talk to Ray and hope he can save her by changing the story, make it he planted the stuffs and all. John question Ray again on the money he spending. Robert is hiding in the room and came across the suitcase of money. Ray lied that it is the money Grace want to pay to Anthony but change her mind. John use the key in Grace handbag to try open the door but it can't. He found the real key under the carpet. In the last resort, John took Ray's coat instead and left. He return after Ray left and ask for release of Grace back to the apartment. Grace try to open the door but cannot so John clear her of suspicion.Ray returning but can't open the door since the key is not his. He find the key under the carpet and open the door. Everyone is inside. He knew his game is up. Grace is devastated.
October 18, 2016
Hitchcock. In photo.
Good movie. A little too convoluted
October 17, 2016
Great villain, great plot flow, lots of fun to watch.
August 10, 2016
I used to consider this second-tier Hitchcock, but a re-watch proved to me just how excellent the script and directing were, as well as how stellar and underrated both Grace Kelly and Ray Milland tend to be, at least presently, three generations after the fact. The suspense is tied tighter than the proverbial drum.

Needless to say, to this day, I never keep scissors on top of my desk anymore...
½ July 22, 2016
Whilst it might feel more like a stage play than a motion picture, Dial M For Murder is purely entertaining from start to finish.