Dog Day Afternoon Reviews

• Jun 08, 2019

This is a go to movie Al Pacino is great and the other actors were too. It is based on a true story my dad also liked this movie. I remember seeing this movie when I was younger. Good story line, plot it is a must see movie it was made in the 70's but I think that it still holds up today.

• Feb 09, 2019

A man robs a bank to pay for his lover's operation; it turns into a hostage situation and a media circus. Framed by great work from director Sidney Lumet and fueled by a gripping performance from Al Pacino, Dog Day Afternoon offers a finely detailed snapshot of people in crisis with tension-soaked drama shaded in black humor. As much as it is about a deeply troubled individual, "Dog Day Afternoon" is about a shift toward exploitation in the American media via live television. Strong performances and forward-thinking situations make this political thriller an exceptionally vibrant film experience.

• Jan 02, 2019

Despite being based on real life events, the story might seem a bit silly but Al Pacino really makes this movie a classic

• Nov 19, 2018

This is a classic of 70s cinema. Dog Day Afternoon, directed by the late great Sidney Lumet features a fine turn by the then fresh Al Pacino who plays a callow youth robbing a bank. The pacing is fantastic, there are many political underlying themes(the lower class's revolt, transgenderism) and it came out at a time when there was much disconcert on the streets of America. It is truly a great film and its reputation has only increased with time. Watch this one. 8/10 (Watch it for Lumet's crisp direction and Pacino's acting). Solaris (1971): Stanislaw Lem's Solaris is a highly regarded book and Andrei Tarkovsky's film adaption is pretty much spot on, though Tarkovsky being an auteur brings his own touch to the proceedings. The story is about a cosmonaut who is sent to a space station revolving around a mysterious planet in the future. The cinematography and production design are haunting- the spaceship is so different than what we usually see in Hollywood. The acting is restraint and works here. Some people have said there is a sense of pretentiousness and rightfully so as some scenes go on way too long. But hey, this is Tarkovsky we speak of. This is one of the finest hard science fiction films and you should see it at any cost. (A meditative take on a famous novel).

• Nov 15, 2018

LIFF32 (2018) #3 "Kiss me. When I'm being f**ked, I like to get kissed a lot." Dog Day Afternoon is a fantastic 'bank robbery gone wrong' movie, but becomes so much more than that. I've been planning on watching this movie for awhile, but failed each time. Now it makes me appreciate my patience after finally checking it out at LIFF (Leeds International Film Festival). Seeing this on a big screen rather than a small one made the experience even more special. The run time of two hours and 30 minutes, which is crazy because none of it dragged. I loved every minute of it. I was surprised how comedic it is, as I originally expected it to be a crime drama. It's hilarious seeing the hostages who were scared at first, but eventually got so comfortable around the robbers, they toy with their semi-auto rimfire rifles. Even ordering pizza and sodas, and Sonny (Pacino) pays for it with bank money. Al Pacino is one of the all time greats. His voice, facial tics, walk, hunch, accent, etc. There's so much to pick up on his performance. He's better than sex. John Cazale is a national treasure and left us way too soon. The chemistry between Sonny and Sal is dynamic. Sidney Lumet directing captives the entire event and makes it absolutely gripping, especially the climax which had me on edge. Pacino is fire. Cazale is holy. Sidney is god.

• Nov 07, 2018

This film was solid.

This film was solid.

• Oct 20, 2018

What a little gem. A wonderfully quirky film. I think this is Pacino's best performance.

• Oct 14, 2018

Hyper realistic, gritty true story of a bank robbery that goes south and the circus that follows. Pacino gives an amazing performance and it tackles fresh subject matter that many were afraid to talk about at the time.

• Oct 04, 2018

Pacino is great, the whole movie is great very real very gritty.

Pacino is great, the whole movie is great very real very gritty.

• Jul 02, 2018

This film is a great study of a fumbling, naive criminal mind, but it is also a comment on crowd mentality and mass media, and makes powerful statements about these issues without being alarmist or preachy. One thing I love about the movie is the long conversations in the second half between Pacino's character and the other characters (his crime partner, his gay lover, his mother). The action and slows down, the tension drops for a bit, and you're mesmerized to learn more about the characters pasts and personalities. In films today, such scenes would doubtless be cut out by producers.