Dogville - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dogville Reviews

½ December 23, 2016
Von Trier is a genius!
December 4, 2016
Structurally, there's nothing else like it.
½ November 21, 2016
A must-see if you're interested in drama or film. Strangely prophetic, given the choice of the next President of the USA and the increasing exposure of the US proclivities for enslavement, rape and mass murder, both domestically and abroad. Admittedly, nowadays polluting drinking water takes the place of starving a dog, drones are much more effective than machine-guns and economic slavery is more widespread than chaining people to a deadweight.
November 19, 2016
Best movie ever made.
½ November 9, 2016
Brilliantly original. Relied on captivating small town screenplay. The menacing feel and philosophical undercurrent mark this out as one of the better films of the decade. A memorable performance from Kidman caps off a bit of a modern classic.
½ November 5, 2016
"Dogville" is a cinematic experience, or should I say a social experience? Good, do not know. The fact is that Lars Von Trier tells a story about human nature in a city that is no more risk on the ground in a film that is 3 hours long, impossible? fulsome? silly? no, nothing like that, quite the contrary, the genius of "Dogville" is in its simplicity, everything is simple, but everything is extremely technical quality, let's talk about the best thing in the film, the script, which goes in the 30s and tells the story of Grace (Nicole Kidman) who is running away from gansgters and decides to take shelter in Dogville, a town with 15 inhabitants who decides to hide in exchange for favores.E is there that Lars Von Trier makes a study on human evil, showing the extent to which human being is able to act when it has power over the other, and how it takes situations of advantages when you can, benefits those who go this the rapes to simple favors, going to leave Grace chained as a dog, but Lars von Trier also tells us in the final scene that is intrinsic to the human being and to the fact that Grace did not kill the dog is a message for us, because the dog is not evil by nature as human beings. Technically, the file has a otina photograph, although the city does not really exist, all climate change are flagged with perfect care, she spends host and fear at the same time, the picture is good, sound mixing is amazing, because we have doors, windows, or anything, but we have the sounds, and it does that as long you just forget that this city simply does not exist, and the performances are very good, Nicole Kidman is great. I love Dogville, pos despite its three hours he has pace, and has something to say, and is a very intelligent comment, I love the fact that the city does not exist, it goes on the idea that can be any city, I love the story third-person and especially love the theatrical atmosphere of the film, "Dogville" is more than a movie, it's a lesson on the human being.
October 25, 2016
Executed on a bare, colourless set through a handful of talented actors, this story slowly gets under your skin and holds a mirror up to every ugly and unnerving bump of our humanness. Nicole Kidman plays very well and John Hurts familiar and homey voice narrating at intervals throughout tie the experience all together.
October 23, 2016
I can't quite decide whether the 'film as stage play' conceit is inventive or just missing the point of cinema (after all, if Von Trier wanted to write a play, he could have done...)
½ September 27, 2016
I loved this movie. It's more like a theater play, and it focuses on the issue of free will, and whether or not it exists, and if it does (or doesn't), what consequences this has for the actions of people. I loved the stage, acting, music, narration and story, go watch this!
August 8, 2016
In one word: Masterpiece. Can satisfy both, art and commercial audience. Camera is perfect. Screenplay, one of the greatest ever.
½ July 22, 2016
Dogville is a thought-provoking slice of arthouse storytelling, which is not to say that it's easy to watch or even that it's without its pretensions. It is merely to say that you will rarely see something so original and minimal.
June 4, 2016
Is mercy & forgiveness just the highest degree arrogance? The harsh implication so studiously understated is an indictment that can only be stated indirectly. I disagree with this tediously presented argument intellectually & emotionally, but not viscerally & that scares me.
May 20, 2016
Although huge ensemble cast and unique take on movie story telling, the movie is dry, emotionless and a drag. 3 hours of grasping for straws of any humain interaction.
May 17, 2016
That was thinking out of the box! The first "theatrical" movie anybody has dared to present. Very unusual at the beginning. Very lengthy at almost 3 hours for a "movie" which not an epic but the ending saved the day. Disturbing yet thought provoking. Supposed to be Anti-american as I heard. This was an experience that dragged a little bit but also one which I'll never forget and had me thinking for some time after it was over.
½ April 3, 2016
It's a piece of art. The scenery, the creativity, it's just magcial. Though I haven't quite aprove the whole acting of Nicole Kidman, it was worth my time. Arrogance, what a common demon we all have inside.
March 21, 2016
originally and braveness of the director
March 15, 2016
One of the best films I've ever seen - looking at America from the outside, as the rest of the world must do. Nicole Kidman is one of the few actresses still alive who can evoke vulnerability and power simultaneously. The story touches on good and evil, mercy and revenge, and suggests that most people are capable of both. The Depression era setting is once again relevant to our times. This is a film you will either love or hate, but for me it confirms that Lars Von Trier is one of the most brilliant filmmakers around.
½ February 13, 2016
"Dogville", narrated in elegant poetic prose, is a movie about a city lady who, fleeing a group of mafia, took refuge in an isolated American village and tried to win trust of the villagers. On a deeper level, the film is an incredibly dark story of human hypocrisy, secret yearnings, unspeakable crimes, crippling guilt, self-defensive denial, and rationalisation of selfishness. I think it is an excellent, excellent film.

It is excellent, first of all, in its showing how evil can spread, like a plague, in a community of otherwise passably decent people. In this respect, it is similar to "The Hunt" (Thomas Vinterberg, 2013), another brilliant film that depicts how evil can arise in a close-knit community of kind, caring people. (But while "The Hunt" is, I think, a realistic study of evil, "Dogville" doesn't aim to be completely realistic. It exaggerates and also satirises.)

The film is also excellent in its portrayal of how people hide, suppress, and release their jealousy, sexual desires, ill will, and their moral fetish for punishment of others. The film portrays the forms of these actions accurately and insightfully, I think, even though it exaggerates the magnitude of the desires to unrealistic levels.

The film seems satirical in some places, but serious in other places. With fierce pointedness (helped by the poetic narration), it satirises how people put up an appearance of decency as a facade for hypocrisy and cruelty. Meanwhile, some parts of the film are, I think, intended as serious messages about human nature.

Where it is intended to be serious, the film propagates very conservative messages indeed. It gives justification for draconian laws, tit-for-tat violence, corporal punishment, and strict moral education. Given that the film paints an unrealistically dark picture of human nature, the moral conclusions it draws from that picture should not be taken seriously.
January 31, 2016
Theatre, film, rotten society, maybe one of the best films ever
January 27, 2016
BRAVO
Viewed this on 27/1/16
Simply a MASTERPIECE. Lars Von Trier sees darkness in everything in this world and his film is haunting, unnerving piece of experiment cinema that is merciless. Perhaps my favourite Trier film and Roger Ebert, fuck you and people like you who hate this one. It twists you, often breaks you with the cruelty of the world and the vulnerability of innocence, boy what an ending, simply loved it. It was an ending I wanted to see while watching some of the most horrendous scenes of the film and one that I never expected to happen.