Dreamgirls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dreamgirls Reviews

May 28, 2017
Just to see what all the hype was about..
April 20, 2017
Deena's beautiful, and she's always been beautiful... but I've got the voice, Curtis! I've got the voice! You can't put me in back; you just can't!
February 8, 2017
Wasn't my cup of tea.
½ January 31, 2017
Iconic music with wonderful performances from Jennifer Hudson & Eddie Murphy.
October 9, 2016
I greatly enjoyed this movie. It is incredibly well done in regards to filmmaking & talent! Well deserved Oscar winning/nominated performances from Hudson & Murphy, who've got some serious singing & acting chops!
August 24, 2016
Dreamgirls is simplistic and it sometimes drags, but it is musical film that thoroughly succeeds owing to its evident energy and so many good numbers that are not only great as songs, but also manage to move the plot forward and establish its characters while also being emotional which was a commendable feat. It also has a powerhouse performance from Jennifer Hudson, it is emotionally powerful and it is just so incredibly entertaining.
April 14, 2016
Dreamgirls is magical, soulful, sensational, heartfelt, and glittering with beauty. A Broadway musical adaptation that delivers with flying colors. The film succeeds with the help of tremendous voices as well as astounding acting capabilities. The amount of pure astonishment that fills you when Jennifer Hudson takes center stage (which she does in every scene she's in) makes you yearn for her to star in more roles. An overall musical triumph.
½ March 5, 2016
The movie improves the show. Jennifer Hudson deservedly won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress as Effie White, in my eyes surpassing Jennifer Holiday. The story of three girls in Detroit longing to be singers. The film is based on Diana Ross and the Supremes loosely. Beautifully done in every department. Beyonce, Jamie Foxx, Danny Glover, Eddie Murphy, Anoka Noni Rose, and the reason to see the movie, Jennifer Hudson.
February 8, 2016
Good movie with a great performance from Beyonce and Jennifer Hudson.
January 25, 2016
½ January 2, 2016
Great songs. Eddie Murphy should have won the Oscar.
½ December 18, 2015
This film was enjoyable to watch. The characters were very weak and the story jumped around at times. Though I love musical movies a lot, in this film when the characters burst out into songs and they weren't on a stage or recording, it didn't feel right and almost made me uncomfortable too watch. But the musical performances were incredible and whenever Effie or Deena sang I lost it. This is also one of the first musical movies I've ever seen where the second half was more entertaining and cohesive than the first. 4.5/5 for the emotional and glamorous performances, 2/5 for the acting and storyline.
3.5/5
November 16, 2015
This was a good movie, but I just can't really get excited about a musical. Eddie Murphy was awesome, so was Foxx. Really everybody was good.
½ November 12, 2015
A musical, based on the real life story of the Supremes, and Diana Ross, and kind of a composite of other people and events in Motown history. This movie is all about the music. And some of it is excellent. But be prepared to listen to lots of music, and sit through a story that is a very predictable plot about the rise of a musical group. You've probably seen the story many times, so don't expect much that's new or interesting. It's about starry eyed performers who encounter record execs and other performers in the business, fall in love, have problems, have big egos, get hurt by the coldhearted business, have to conform to what record execs want, and so on. For me the most surprising part was Eddie Murphy's performance as a James Brown composite. I never knew Eddie could sing so well. Assuming that's Eddie...
November 10, 2015
very good movie musical. mrs. hudson is outstanding, as well as eddie murphy. for all of you "beyonce haters" she's amazing also. overall a great movie.
September 26, 2015
Well, I found the music parts a bit silly to be frank. I can't see Jennifer Hudson with better vocals than Beyonce even if I was on drugs! I'm not sure wtf is this casting? Hudson can go scream all she wants, pretending she's doing high notes and reaching sensitive keys, she still just sounds loud that is, just like Christina Aguilera with her constant yelling. The story is pretty disappointing and hard to believe even in the world of movies. I just liked the clothes and dancing, and of course Queen B.
½ September 13, 2015
Good little story and great music performances while Murphy's Thunder steals the show.
½ September 7, 2015
exciting, stressful, very well acted and generally entertaining
August 25, 2015
Watched half of it twice, finally had a chance to finish it all. Good movie with good music! Very good acts and singing!
July 27, 2015
Not a great film as many would have you believe. But, it is entertaining. So glad that Eddie Murphy lost the Oscar for his performance. He did not deserve it, especially since his dramatic moments are down offscreen.