Dreamgirls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dreamgirls Reviews

April 14, 2016
Dreamgirls is magical, soulful, sensational, heartfelt, and glittering with beauty. A Broadway musical adaptation that delivers with flying colors. The film succeeds with the help of tremendous voices as well as astounding acting capabilities. The amount of pure astonishment that fills you when Jennifer Hudson takes center stage (which she does in every scene she's in) makes you yearn for her to star in more roles. An overall musical triumph.
½ March 5, 2016
The movie improves the show. Jennifer Hudson deservedly won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress as Effie White, in my eyes surpassing Jennifer Holiday. The story of three girls in Detroit longing to be singers. The film is based on Diana Ross and the Supremes loosely. Beautifully done in every department. Beyonce, Jamie Foxx, Danny Glover, Eddie Murphy, Anoka Noni Rose, and the reason to see the movie, Jennifer Hudson.
February 8, 2016
Good movie with a great performance from Beyonce and Jennifer Hudson.
January 25, 2016
I greatly enjoyed this movie. It is incredibly well done in regards to filmmaking & talent! Well deserved Oscar winning/nominated performances from Hudson & Murphy, who've got some serious singing & acting chops!
½ January 2, 2016
Great songs. Eddie Murphy should have won the Oscar.
½ December 18, 2015
This film was enjoyable to watch. The characters were very weak and the story jumped around at times. Though I love musical movies a lot, in this film when the characters burst out into songs and they weren't on a stage or recording, it didn't feel right and almost made me uncomfortable too watch. But the musical performances were incredible and whenever Effie or Deena sang I lost it. This is also one of the first musical movies I've ever seen where the second half was more entertaining and cohesive than the first. 4.5/5 for the emotional and glamorous performances, 2/5 for the acting and storyline.
3.5/5
November 16, 2015
This was a good movie, but I just can't really get excited about a musical. Eddie Murphy was awesome, so was Foxx. Really everybody was good.
½ November 12, 2015
A musical, based on the real life story of the Supremes, and Diana Ross, and kind of a composite of other people and events in Motown history. This movie is all about the music. And some of it is excellent. But be prepared to listen to lots of music, and sit through a story that is a very predictable plot about the rise of a musical group. You've probably seen the story many times, so don't expect much that's new or interesting. It's about starry eyed performers who encounter record execs and other performers in the business, fall in love, have problems, have big egos, get hurt by the coldhearted business, have to conform to what record execs want, and so on. For me the most surprising part was Eddie Murphy's performance as a James Brown composite. I never knew Eddie could sing so well. Assuming that's Eddie...
November 10, 2015
very good movie musical. mrs. hudson is outstanding, as well as eddie murphy. for all of you "beyonce haters" she's amazing also. overall a great movie.
September 26, 2015
Well, I found the music parts a bit silly to be frank. I can't see Jennifer Hudson with better vocals than Beyonce even if I was on drugs! I'm not sure wtf is this casting? Hudson can go scream all she wants, pretending she's doing high notes and reaching sensitive keys, she still just sounds loud that is, just like Christina Aguilera with her constant yelling. The story is pretty disappointing and hard to believe even in the world of movies. I just liked the clothes and dancing, and of course Queen B.
½ September 13, 2015
Good little story and great music performances while Murphy's Thunder steals the show.
½ September 7, 2015
exciting, stressful, very well acted and generally entertaining
August 25, 2015
Watched half of it twice, finally had a chance to finish it all. Good movie with good music! Very good acts and singing!
July 27, 2015
Not a great film as many would have you believe. But, it is entertaining. So glad that Eddie Murphy lost the Oscar for his performance. He did not deserve it, especially since his dramatic moments are down offscreen.
June 27, 2015
The on-screen adaptation of "Dreamgirls" possesses the same kind of energy like other on-screen-adapted musicals, focusing on how well it was handled, written and, at its own soul, performed. It seems in this particular musical drama is that the performances of the finely-tuned musical numbers equally share a spotlight as they were just electrifying. Thanks to the excellent cast that'd done some contributions to the film's soul while getting into tone and performing and singing with energy and nice rhythm, and representing some nice aspects of the writing. So combining all that was done, this film adaptation was very well-handled and typically well done. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
June 14, 2015
This musical is a fictionalized account of the Motown singing sensation "The Supremes," based on the Tony-winning Broadway musical by Henry Krieger and Tom Eyen. Written and directed by Bill Condon, it features a conventional showbiz rags-to-riches formula filmed with a lot of flashy, empty style. After a promising start, the energy begins to dip halfway through and the movie never recovers, as the standard backstage drama can't sustain our interest. But it is thrilling to see a big musical with a largely black cast who are allowed to shine. Beyonce Knowles, Jennifer Hudson, and Anika Noni Rose are the singing trio; Eddie Murphy is a James Brown-type singer; and Jamie Foxx is the ruthless Berry Gordy-type executive. Knowles is bland but efficient. Murphy is affectingly restrained and stays in character. As the lead singer cut-off from stardom by her more photogenic co-stars, Hudson gives a joyous, emotionally charged debut performance that is deserving of a standing ovation. Her rendition of "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" has the physicality that is worthy of comparison to Aretha Franklin. The musical numbers though are disappointingly indistinguishable and largely forgettable. Hudson won the Oscar as Best Supporting Actress. The film also won for Sound Mixing. Songs include: "Cadillac Car," "Love You, I Do," "I Am Changing," "One Night Only," and "Dreamgirls." With Danny Glover and Keith Robinson.
½ May 25, 2015
Dreamgirls is an African American musical much like Chicago, but it doesn't have the powerful storyline of much like Chicago although it does have great performances by Academy award winner Hudson and beautiful Beyoncé. Great cast, very entertaining script, this was one of the best Eddie Murphy's best performance in the last decade. Good to watch once.
½ April 13, 2015
The Supremes deserve a lot better.

Dreamgirls is largely based on the story of The Supremes, the ground-breaking Motown group. However, the movie does them no justice. All the music in the movie was written especially for the movie. So you don't have any recognisable 60s songs. Plus, the songs are quite dull and don't really capture the sound of the 60s or of Motown.

Throw in a rather linear script and unimaginative direction and the movie is nothing special. Plus, in a movie filled with musical performances, the director has random music-instead-of-acting scenes, like in a musical. It just seemed like overkill and totally unnecessary.

Decent performances though. Eddie Murphy got a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination and Jennifer Hudson won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. Not sure she deserved it though - she was good, but not THAT good. Then again, there wasn't much competition in that category in 2007.
April 6, 2015
Well Written And Directed Musical!!
April 5, 2015
Dreamgirls aurait pu être un très bon musical si seulement ils avaient trouvé de bons acteurs pour remplacer Beyoncé, Jennifer Hudson et Jamie Foxx. Dans des rôles charnières, ils sont absolument insupportables, constamment dans le surjeu, surtout dans les numéros musicaux. Heureusement, il y a autour d'eux les excellents Eddie Murphy et Danny Glover sans oublier quelques caméos sympathiques comme John Lithgow ou Loretta Devine. Les numéros musicaux alternent aussi le bon et le moins bon, tout en étant trop nombreux et répétitifs. C'est vraiment dommage dans la mesure où Bill Condon se débrouille plutôt bien à la réalisation, ni trop clinquante, ni trop fade.