Dungeons & Dragons Reviews

• 6d ago

I even went to the theater to see it... Worst movie I've ever seen...

I even went to the theater to see it... Worst movie I've ever seen...

• Nov 09, 2019

Except for when Jeremy Irons was chewing the scenery, this sub-SyFy channel original felt as long as a real DnD game—but with far worse visuals and acting. Cannonical scale: 2.5/5 — how'd that one guy get blue lips, hmm? #taintpaint

• Oct 17, 2019

Based on the 80s game this movie is a disappointment. In all of fantasy literature, there are really only about three basic plots, and Dungeons & Dragons has picked the least promising of them: the quest. This means that for the entire running length of the movie, we accompany a bunch of poorly developed characters as they run from place-to-place in search of the one powerful magic item that will save the kingdom and defeat the evil wizard. Of course, since this is Dungeons & Dragons, a lot of the wandering around takes place in poorly-lit tunnels inhabited by unsavory creatures. And the climax, where most of the special effects budget was expended, features an impressive aerial battle between two races of dragon. Only the climax is worth anything and for that we must endure the tedious journey. The set design, while not approaching that of Conan the Barbarian, is also a plus. Watch it for the special effects and set design only.

• Aug 17, 2019

Though it's fun to watch Jeremy Irons ham it up as the main villain, Dungeons & Dragons' cheap production values for a $45 million-budgeted theatrical blockbuster (who'd have thought that this was from the same company who'd go on to bring you The Lord of the Rings trilogy?), bland acting from the rest of the cast, Marlon Wayans' stereotypically black character, a plot that plagiarizes from The Phantom Menace and the other bad guy's blue lipstick makes this adaptation of the board games an absolutely terrible one, even when judged by its own merits. Maybe The Duffer Brothers should make their own adaptation, if you catch my drift.

• Apr 04, 2019

Lots of action and sword play. A thief plays a key role in the future of a land of dragons and magic.

• Oct 28, 2018

A case where I just laugh at how stupid the movie I'm watching is.

A case where I just laugh at how stupid the movie I'm watching is.

• May 06, 2018

Oh yes Dungeons & Dragons a game that I never played and a title I know only from the whole memes, gags and of course nerd fantasies. It's a different kind of fantasy movie, and unfortunately not a good way to sum up this movie in a single word is difficult, but the first thing that came to my mind is the word weird. The first few minutes I found pretty crazy and over-the-top when it came to the two thieves and the sorceress I slowly find the movie interesting to find comma after then new characters came and they always more and more on the fingers first Lord of the Rings film to copy my interest. I quickly started to ask myself questions: how much does this have to do with roleplaying, why is Jeremy Irons so overacting overacting why is the Empress so crass under acting, is Marlon Wayans so extremely annoying again? And of all the weird costume ideas I do not even want to start, the people who saw the movie know what I mean when I say blue lips. Why do so many movies and series have to copy the beginning scene from Hunter of the Lost Ark? But my conclusion is the movie is okay. I do not know how close that is to the original series so I can only say that I found the ideas unique and creative broken are on Playstation 1 level but still bearable most sets look cheap and the drama is reminiscent of school theater but nothing else really is terrible Marlon Wayans can be quite annoying but luckily not so long in this movie at least not until the end Jeremy Irons is super entertaining and during the movie he is almost on the level of Nicolas Cage and now and then the music is too actually pretty much what point would also be as said if it focuses only on our three main characters say the sorceress and the two thieves is actually a good trip.

• Feb 14, 2018

Another failed attempt at making a popular video game series into a movie. However, I still give them props for trying

• Nov 03, 2017

This film is so bad it is automatically a classic some of j irons best work

This film is so bad it is automatically a classic some of j irons best work

• Aug 21, 2017

This movie gets a bit better when you realize it's a labor of love. It is apparently set in the actual setting created by the writer/director for his college D&D games. You don't really ever get to find out how much of his campaign made it in here--like were hyphens a race when he ran his games? Were the characters based on his old player characters? Were beholders domesticated guard beasts in his games? With the pop-out eyestalks even? Seen in this light the movie still isn't any good, but at least it gives me some positive regard for the creator's efforts.