Tropa de Elite (The Elite Squad) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tropa de Elite (The Elite Squad) Reviews

October 12, 2016
Brutal como a nossa realidade, bem realizado em todos os níveis dramáticos e técnicos com toda a qualidade que o nosso cinema tem e que, infelizmente, poucos conhecem, pois baseiam-se apenas em Globo Filmes. O único e talvez o principal problema do filme é a questão da imparcialidade de julgamento que aqui, não existe e revela uma moral questionável.
½ August 31, 2016
Cruda, descarnadamente cruda pero al mismo tiempo reveladora. En medio de la violencia extrema que retrata, el espectador es movido a reflexionar en la eterna lucha entre quienes nacen con un exacerbado sentido de la justicia (los que hacen cumplir la ley) y quienes se obstinan en corromperse y buscar la vida fácil.
August 28, 2016
Once again, I fail to see and understand how this slow, meandering, desultory film has captivated audiences - do people somehow consider themselves more cultivated because they rate a foreign produced film with subtitles? Indeed, there have been many decent foreign made films, but this isn't one of them.

I really wanted to enjoy it, and I gave it my full attention, but it was so slow, meandering, and unfocused with no ultimate pay off. In fact, it ends just when I thought it started to get going, though by that time it had more or less failed to hold my interest, so I was relieved when it was over. The characters are under-developed and with regards to some of the 'Elite Squad' and Police it was difficult to follow who was who and consequently I had no investment in any them. 'City of God' this film is not. 2/5
February 19, 2016
Beautiful in-essence addition to City of God! The photo realistic approach to an accepted every day corrupt society is what makes this film perfect. Would see this more than once! Rewatched, STILL recommended!
½ November 29, 2015
Sequel was better, but still well made thought provoking action from talented film-makers.
November 15, 2015
I can't understand why this isn't rated higher by the critics; it's a splendid film. I accidentally watched the sequel first; that was also a great film. This is really a sort of introduction to the second film which goes a lot deeper into favella life where this is more about building the team to tackle corruption, drugs, and the gun problems of Rio.
October 20, 2015
86%
Watched this on 20/10/15
One of the most popular films and cultural phenomenon of Brazilian Cinema, Elite Squad is a realistic, semi fictional account of the brutal police force of Rio, BOPE. The film is hard hitting in terms of it's brutality and it's realistic in such a way that the film portrays it's officers as those who do not sit behind desks and make strategies, but those who use the most brutal forces of violence to achieve their means. This is a film about police who first shoots and then asks question mostly leaving nothing much for the judiciary systems. This is a kind of task force that people wish were there to protect them.
½ October 5, 2015
Decent movie with lots of strongly violent action. It stands up because it is staged in Rio and created by Brazilians.

The plot is not very surprising but good enough.
½ September 26, 2015
I have no idea why the critics would pan this movie. The pace is fantastic and the acting is amazing (which is to be expected with Wagner Moura). Highlights a side of Rio that is in stark contrast when compared to the party life that it is so well-known for. A gritty story about life in the Favellas
½ August 26, 2015
By far one of the best brazilian movies that portrays not only the daily violence suffered by the rio de janeiro population but the "brazillian way",how do the population manage to deal with the situation kind of in a smart ass way
July 18, 2015
An amazing action film shot masterfully and full throttle from start to finish.
Great story, great cast, cinematography from beyond and of course Rio and it's slums shot like a wonderful maze where drug trafficking and music intertwine.... a surprisingly efficient film that ill take you on a crazy ride and leave you breathless. Two thumbs up!
May 18, 2015
Elite Squad shows potential but ultimately doesn't deliver enough to truly make it a great film. It is a great look at Brazil and their slums, police corruption, and the military style with which a country might have to fight something like gangs and drugs.
The sequel to this film manages to improve on it and produces a much better viewing experience. Both are long in the tooth but the sequel never feels it.
Elite Squad is a good starting point for Jose Padilha's cop series, but it has better shots coming down the barrel.
April 1, 2015
The Elite Squad is entertaining,well acted and meaningful movie about political and police corruption !However its storytelling and camera work are many time incoherent and sketchy .not enough still to stop anyone to appreciate the overall movie,and that's enough to recommend it. Beware of the violence though,It can be pretty shocking and graphic.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A movie in the same spirit as City of God and that movie had some great moments so i had some hope for this similar flick. The movie are well made in every way with good story etc.. altho its not as entertaining as City of God in my opinion. Felt a bit slow time to time but when it was 30 min left its got my attention more and the movie finished off nicely.
½ December 21, 2014
Le premier volet du diptyque Tropa de Elite est un thriller formidable, extrêmement furieux envers l'état du Brésil aujourd'hui et dont la charge envers tous les coupables désignés est écrite de main de maître. Jose Padilha se sort aussi bien des scènes de fusillade que des scènes d'exposition. Il est bien aidé par des acteurs fabuleux, Wagner Moura et Andre Ramiro en tête, mais son apport au niveau du rythme (que la caméra à l'épaule renforce) et de la mise en scène ne doit pas être sous-estimé. Tropa de Elite est un explication frappante et passionnante de la situation du Brésil aujourd'hui et pour cela, il en est indispensable.
November 10, 2014
"Tropa de Elite" es una tensa película del reconocido José Padilha que no duda ni censura al mostrar la parte cruda de las Favelas de Río de Janeiro y el tráfico de drogas y las tropas que los luchan sin reconocimiento de nadie.
August 8, 2014
7.8/10. 8-6-2014. Exceedingly well made but morally ambiguous. Is it really siding with the fascist BOPE squad?
½ July 21, 2014
9,5/10
one of my alltime favorites. intense af
½ July 5, 2014
I don't care what the dipshits critics on Rotten Tomatoes may think, this was freakin' great!