Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close Reviews

January 2, 2017
A beautiful story of grief. Felt very authentic and naive. Great performances even by Bullock. A good ending which was surprising.
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ November 28, 2016
This overly sentimental drama could have been genuinely moving but gets ruined by terrible narrative choices, remaining not only infuriatingly manipulative, given its exploitative matter, but also with an extremely obnoxious protagonist that pushes our patience to the limit.
½ October 28, 2016
Poignant film, loved ... Wonderful performance of Thomas Horn.
½ October 14, 2016
A bit unbelievable, a bit heavy handed, a bit corny but ultimately very moving and emotional. I think movie gets better as it goes. You kinda have to just go along with film even tho its a bit dramatic or not realistic at times bc it does actually have a lot of incite if u stick with the film. I thought it showed grief very well and the stages and how it affects everyone so much in many ways. It makes you think the ppl left alive have it worse than those who died sometimes. Idk why but until they said the kid might have asbergers in film i didnt realize that was what he had-duh! I found the little boy to be funny and sweet in a non-intentional way. You can tell a lot of effort went into making those "crafts/scrapbooks" the kid made. I also enjoyed the New Yorkers different stories and the ny neighborhood feeling. Powerful message and very touching all n all.
September 17, 2016
Whew! Talk about emotional roller coaster.
½ September 14, 2016
Enjoyed the movie. Good story. Can't wait to read the book. Also Thomas Horn his first movie, he did a good job!
½ September 10, 2016
A good movie to take a Sunday afternoon nap to.
½ September 5, 2016
Beautiful, tragic, frustrating, and humorous all at once. This movie is not about sitting back and following a simple storyline. It's about a son who wants to stay with his father and transcend death through his own unique, infuriating quest. Through seeking to conquer death he learns of the stories of others and how the world is still very much alive.
August 30, 2016
Simply amazing. Why this is not rated above 80% is beyond me and really makes me wonder if it's just a bunch of 18-year-olds on this site.
August 10, 2016
Some parts are a bit too pretentious, but especially the scenes immediately connected to the 9/11 attacks are very haunting. In the end it's about healing and accepting the cruelty and beauty of life and that message works and is portrayed really well. And the acting is top notch, if you can get over how incredibly pretentious that kid is most of the time.
July 25, 2016
Not Really A Big Fan of Tom Hanks, He can be in loads of good movies but EXTREMELY LOUD & INCREDIBLY CLOSE is not one of the movies that are good. I was so close to falling asleep on purpose.
I saw this on the train back from kalgoorlie to east perth and it was boring.

I was bored watching it.

Score: 5/10
½ July 9, 2016
Artful and emotional
July 4, 2016
My normal intelligent adult mind rejected the idea of being 'mentally challenged', but somehow I became over-powered by the growing young brain curiosity, as the boy's reaction to the world reminded me of my pre-teen life experiences when worry-free health and safety seemed you were born to be worry-free through emotional curiosity, even though the key was meant to be a financial reward to set up the boy and his mother for financial freedom from some bank deposit box, unfortunately that was not the case, and my adult mind felt disappointment. In his case, the achievement is to control fear and anger through love and courage that are spiritual - a word that is a mystery of God creation ;;
June 27, 2016
Exceptionally awful.
June 9, 2016
Even with its very emotional story, great adult actors, and powerful historical context (all of which contribute to a very creative character played by Max von Sydow), this ends up feeling more of a confused downer than the inspirational, heartwarming drama it thinks it is.
½ May 15, 2016
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close includes expert acting from all involved, and is indeed an emotional roller coaster with a heartbreaking beginning and a tear jerking finale. However the films middle is muddled, hollow, and at times overlong. EL&IC will leave you crying with a sense of hope, but disappointed in the lack of resolve the it brings.
April 15, 2016
Better than the critics opinions. Overly emotional, given its tough material it would be hard not to be. Great child acting, although he was a bit annoying (as per his role). Rating: 8 / 10
½ April 7, 2016
I have to say, I'm very surprised that this film has bad reviews! Everyone has an opinion, I suppose. I watched this film around the time it first came out and really enjoyed it. I love Oskar's quirky personality, and the incredible story of the lengths he goes to feel connected to his father.

After reading the book for a class, and watching the film again, I love it even more. There are some major differences between the film and the novel. And without giving it all away, I will say that the changes make sense as they probably saved time for a film that is already 2 hours long as it is. But I think the changes also make the story emotional in a different way from the novel, as there is a stronger family connection after the changes are made.

Whether or not you've read the book, or care about the changes, I think it's a worthwhile film. It tells a story about a young, awkward boy dealing with grief in a big way. It's something a lot of people went through after the attacks on September 11th, so most people can relate to it on some level. But there's also another side to it-- the story of two people who, because of the traumatic experiences they've had, are broken. And they embark on a journey together, teaching each other how to heal, to communicate, and to develop a healthy relationship with one another. Beautiful story, beautifully written in the novel and screenplay, and beautifully performed. Loved it!
½ April 6, 2016
Most often we find when reading a book that when comparing it to the movie, there will ultimately be many differences. One of the most disappointing differences that I see within the book and movie is that when Oskar starts off his quest, in the book it is Mr. Black whom starts to tag along. In the movie there is a mystery man whom ends up being his grandfather that starts off on the journey through the city to find all of the Blacks. I find that when they leave off such crucial parts from the novel it in return makes the movie less likeable. Within the book there was the constant question of who the renter was that left you on the edge of your seat so to say. Within the movie it reveals who the renter is almost way too soon, ceasing the long suspense and curiosity you may find yourself faced with. I feel as though the movie didn?t spend hardly any times introducing or showing the points of view of the grandmother or grandfather like so much of the time was spent doing so within the book. I do, however, understand that it would be hard to include parts of the book such as this, but I do feel as though it added a lot more to the story overall. Also, within the movie they completely left out the graveyard part of the book, but to this I ultimately find understanding because this would be something portrayed that I don?t think many individuals could or want to grasp onto the idea of.