Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close Reviews

½ October 14, 2016
A bit unbelievable, a bit heavy handed, a bit corny but ultimately very moving and emotional. I think movie gets better as it goes. You kinda have to just go along with film even tho its a bit dramatic or not realistic at times bc it does actually have a lot of incite if u stick with the film. I thought it showed grief very well and the stages and how it affects everyone so much in many ways. It makes you think the ppl left alive have it worse than those who died sometimes. Idk why but until they said the kid might have asbergers in film i didnt realize that was what he had-duh! I found the little boy to be funny and sweet in a non-intentional way. You can tell a lot of effort went into making those "crafts/scrapbooks" the kid made. I also enjoyed the New Yorkers different stories and the ny neighborhood feeling. Powerful message and very touching all n all.
September 17, 2016
Whew! Talk about emotional roller coaster.
½ September 14, 2016
Enjoyed the movie. Good story. Can't wait to read the book. Also Thomas Horn his first movie, he did a good job!
½ September 10, 2016
A good movie to take a Sunday afternoon nap to.
½ September 5, 2016
Beautiful, tragic, frustrating, and humorous all at once. This movie is not about sitting back and following a simple storyline. It's about a son who wants to stay with his father and transcend death through his own unique, infuriating quest. Through seeking to conquer death he learns of the stories of others and how the world is still very much alive.
August 30, 2016
Simply amazing. Why this is not rated above 80% is beyond me and really makes me wonder if it's just a bunch of 18-year-olds on this site.
August 10, 2016
Some parts are a bit too pretentious, but especially the scenes immediately connected to the 9/11 attacks are very haunting. In the end it's about healing and accepting the cruelty and beauty of life and that message works and is portrayed really well. And the acting is top notch, if you can get over how incredibly pretentious that kid is most of the time.
July 25, 2016
Not Really A Big Fan of Tom Hanks, He can be in loads of good movies but EXTREMELY LOUD & INCREDIBLY CLOSE is not one of the movies that are good. I was so close to falling asleep on purpose.
I saw this on the train back from kalgoorlie to east perth and it was boring.

I was bored watching it.

Score: 5/10
½ July 9, 2016
Artful and emotional
July 4, 2016
My normal intelligent adult mind rejected the idea of being 'mentally challenged', but somehow I became over-powered by the growing young brain curiosity, as the boy's reaction to the world reminded me of my pre-teen life experiences when worry-free health and safety seemed you were born to be worry-free through emotional curiosity, even though the key was meant to be a financial reward to set up the boy and his mother for financial freedom from some bank deposit box, unfortunately that was not the case, and my adult mind felt disappointment. In his case, the achievement is to control fear and anger through love and courage that are spiritual - a word that is a mystery of God creation ;;
June 27, 2016
Exceptionally awful.
June 9, 2016
Even with its very emotional story, great adult actors, and powerful historical context (all of which contribute to a very creative character played by Max von Sydow), this ends up feeling more of a confused downer than the inspirational, heartwarming drama it thinks it is.
½ May 15, 2016
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close includes expert acting from all involved, and is indeed an emotional roller coaster with a heartbreaking beginning and a tear jerking finale. However the films middle is muddled, hollow, and at times overlong. EL&IC will leave you crying with a sense of hope, but disappointed in the lack of resolve the it brings.
April 15, 2016
Better than the critics opinions. Overly emotional, given its tough material it would be hard not to be. Great child acting, although he was a bit annoying (as per his role). Rating: 8 / 10
½ April 7, 2016
I have to say, I'm very surprised that this film has bad reviews! Everyone has an opinion, I suppose. I watched this film around the time it first came out and really enjoyed it. I love Oskar's quirky personality, and the incredible story of the lengths he goes to feel connected to his father.

After reading the book for a class, and watching the film again, I love it even more. There are some major differences between the film and the novel. And without giving it all away, I will say that the changes make sense as they probably saved time for a film that is already 2 hours long as it is. But I think the changes also make the story emotional in a different way from the novel, as there is a stronger family connection after the changes are made.

Whether or not you've read the book, or care about the changes, I think it's a worthwhile film. It tells a story about a young, awkward boy dealing with grief in a big way. It's something a lot of people went through after the attacks on September 11th, so most people can relate to it on some level. But there's also another side to it-- the story of two people who, because of the traumatic experiences they've had, are broken. And they embark on a journey together, teaching each other how to heal, to communicate, and to develop a healthy relationship with one another. Beautiful story, beautifully written in the novel and screenplay, and beautifully performed. Loved it!
½ April 6, 2016
Most often we find when reading a book that when comparing it to the movie, there will ultimately be many differences. One of the most disappointing differences that I see within the book and movie is that when Oskar starts off his quest, in the book it is Mr. Black whom starts to tag along. In the movie there is a mystery man whom ends up being his grandfather that starts off on the journey through the city to find all of the Blacks. I find that when they leave off such crucial parts from the novel it in return makes the movie less likeable. Within the book there was the constant question of who the renter was that left you on the edge of your seat so to say. Within the movie it reveals who the renter is almost way too soon, ceasing the long suspense and curiosity you may find yourself faced with. I feel as though the movie didn?t spend hardly any times introducing or showing the points of view of the grandmother or grandfather like so much of the time was spent doing so within the book. I do, however, understand that it would be hard to include parts of the book such as this, but I do feel as though it added a lot more to the story overall. Also, within the movie they completely left out the graveyard part of the book, but to this I ultimately find understanding because this would be something portrayed that I don?t think many individuals could or want to grasp onto the idea of.
April 6, 2016
When sitting down to watch the film "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" after reading the book I had high expectations. I really enjoyed the book, the film on the other hand was good, but I was very disappointed. The film did have some touching moments and did a good job portraying the tragedy of Oskar's father, but lacked in so many other areas. I think one of the better parts of the movie was the repetitive showing of the messages from Oskar's father. The film left out several parts that I personally would of loved to have seen in the film. The film cut out key characters and relationships that where very important to Oskar's journey. They left out much of Oskar's grandmother and the bond they had though out the whole book. The film also left out almost everything about Oskar's grandfathers past. Mr. Black not being a major part of the movie was very unexpected and I would of liked to have seen him in the film. The film also did not portray Oskar to be as awkward as he was described in the book. A movie can never give you the detail you can read in a book, but after watching the film I was left wondering why so many good parts were omitted. On a scale of one to ten I would give the book a ten and the movie a six. The movie was worth watching, but only for the comparison of both perspectives.
½ April 6, 2016
The 2012 movie "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" starring Tom Hanks, Sandra Bullock, and Thomas Horn is based on the 2005 novel of the same name. It is the story of Oskar, a bright young man with an enormous vocabulary and insatiable thirst for knowledge, who is having a difficult time dealing with the death of his father during the attacks of 9/11. His mission in this movie is to remain close to the memory of his father, which seems to be slipping away from him as time marches on. In order to do this, he sets off on a journey to find a lock that can be opened by a key left behind by his father in an envelope with a single word "Black" written on the back of it.
During Oskar's journey, we are introduced to his mother, grandmother and estranged grandfather who all do what they can to support him on his journey. Oskar works to overcome his fear of public transportation, crowds, loud noises, and airplanes (to name a few) while visiting every person with the name Black in the five boroughs of New York. In the end, the key was meant for another person which superficially may seem like a let down for the audience.
It is the journey, however, that is the important part of the movie. It is about a young boy who doesn't give up and continues to work hard to be the person that he and his father wanted him to be. It's about grief and love and loss and most importantly, hope.
½ April 6, 2016
The movie version of this novel was a little difficult for me to watch after reading the novel. I felt like the movie version took out so many details that the book offered, especially taking out Mr. Black, who helped Oskar throughout the city and made sure he was safe while exploring in the book and replacing him with his grandfather. The movie does paint a picture in my head about all the tragedies that happened to Oskar and his family and helped me visualize what his family was actually going through. Instead of just understanding how Oskar saw other's emotions or feelings, I got to see them for myself. One thing I noticed about Oskar's character was that he was much different than in the book. I found him to be more hilarious in the book because I felt he was more sarcastic and more straight to the point with other people. I also found the movie to be a little over played. I did not feel like the acting made the movie seem like a real life story, rather than just something that was made up and a little cheesy. When popular books or novels are created into major motion pictures, I feel as though they leave out so much detail than what the actual novel or book does. Sometimes, I even feel like the person who wrote the script for the movie did not even read the novel himself. The one thing that I like about seeing movies that are made from books is that I get to put a name to a face rather than just imagining it in my head.
April 6, 2016
The movie Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close was overall a good movie. I read the book before watching the movie so I was able to compare and contrast the different things in the book and the movie. In the beginning of the movie I remember thinking to myself that the some of the things Oskar said was a little dark. In the movie Oskar comes across differently then he did in the book. He did however, have a major tragic event take place in his life. The Movie showed how much grief Oskars family felt. I thought the movie demonstrated the book well when it showed how the different family members handled the grief. The movie also followed most of the books story line correctly. The movie keeps you interested by really emphasizing Oskar?s search around the city to find a key. Something that was interesting to me was how the movie left out the importance of Oskar?s grandpa. The movie does show the grandpa, but the book talked a lot more in detail about the grandfather?s life. Before watching this movie I would definitely recommend reading the book first. Reading the book first helps you look for some of the details that the movie left out. Like the grandpa being more apart of the book. For me reading the book first made the movie more enjoyable to me. I would recommend this movie to someone if they would like a heartfelt film about what some of the families may have felt during nine-eleven.