Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close Reviews

½ November 18, 2017
This movie has a great 3rd act. However, the beginning and the middle are very dull.
September 12, 2017
Very disappointing. Poor ending
Antonius Block
August 21, 2017
Set the controls for your suspension of disbelief to max before watching this one folks. You'll also have to forgive it for its schmaltz and melodrama along the way. On the other hand, there are some nice moments, and the movie's treatment of death, loss, searching for answers when there are none, community, rebuilding, and understanding is touching. Director Stephen Daldry is wise in exercising restraint about the horrors of 9/11, and Thomas Horn and Tom Hanks turn in strong performances. Do fathers like the one Hanks plays actually exist? Perhaps not, but the balance shown with bad fathers in the film may strike a chord with anyone who has conflicting feelings about family members. I loved seeing Max von Sydow at age 82 in his supporting role, and that alone made it worth seeing for me. On the whole, your emotions will either be stirred or you'll find yourself cynical, and I suppose I experienced a bit of both and ended up in the middle. It is surprising to me that the film was nominated for Best Picture. Its heart was in the right place but it just wasn't subtle enough in its execution to recommend without reservations.
½ August 19, 2017
I don't know what the problem was with this film? Too offensive? Too much of a sensitive matter?
August 18, 2017
Horn gives a great child performance in a sprawling New York adventure. Bullock and Sydow are good in support. The film treads water for a bit which slows it down, but it has a good story at the heart.
July 17, 2017
An amazing movie that captured all the best of the book. The boy was perfectly cast, and really made the film worth seeing. One of my favorite movies.
June 17, 2017
A very beautiful, and unusual movie. In the end, the movie is about healing and coming to understand that some things can't be explained. Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock are wonderful supporting.
½ May 22, 2017
This is an awful movie.
½ May 2, 2017
A boy loses his father in the 9/11 attacks, believing he left a final message through a mysterious key with an unknown lock. It is a good story and could have been moving but I think another director could have make this project better. Max von Sydow is amazing but the kid is so ANNOYING! Desplat's music is excellent!
April 29, 2017
hey critics, suck a dick, this move was great. I don't think I've ever found a movie on Rotten Tomatoes where the critics actually knew jackshit about movies, still haven't. Fucking wannabe movie watchers, it must be nice being so stupid
½ April 27, 2017
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close is a hart whelming film be it a little bit pretensions at times about a boy (Thomas Horn) dealing with the death of his father (Tom Hanks) after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, with the help of Max von Sydow's character. The acting in this film are very good especially by hanks and von Sydow.
April 21, 2017
Even with its very emotional story, great adult actors, and powerful historical context (all of which contribute to a very creative character played by Max von Sydow), this ends up feeling more of a confused downer than the inspirational, heartwarming drama it thinks it is.
April 7, 2017
My opinion---

Extremely loud and incredibly close ... the director Stephen Daldry
knew with this beautiful melodrama and following the disappearance of
his father during the attacks of the World Trade Center of New York, a
year ago, the innocence of the dream of dreams, A child with whom a
small object that he will discover will change the perception of his
life. And it will lead us into an incredibly deep and emotionally
charged adventure. "Tom Hanks" (the father) has played a small role,
but his presence always pleases to see, "Sandra Bullock" (the mother),
also plays a not very big role, but it always appears brilliant when
the way . A magisterial "Max von Sydow", despite his 85 years, still
has so much presence on the screen. Then there is this nine-year-old
boy Oskar, played by ("Thomas Horn") and the formidable way he
interpreted his role, is extraordinary with so much flexibility in his
actions and narrowly in his expressions gave The strength to this
melodrama. The music of Alexandre Desplat is exceptional and makes even more power to this movie. When I read some of the criticisms, I was really surprised to see some of them being disdained for this wonderful movie, if a tear in a movie is bad, then these people are downright lacking in feelings. Cinema is also there to make us all emotions and it is thanks to these emotions that we move forward in life, without emotion, there is not much left. A wonderful movie that I recommend andreview my score at 10/10.
March 17, 2017
Stephen Daldry unfortunately can't find the right tone to deliver the powerful message contained in Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, but Thomas Horn's impressive debut carries the movie and showcases a maturity well beyond his years.
March 13, 2017
I rented it and realized after a few minutes that I had seen it before. I let it run while doing some other things and found it good enough. Excellent acting of course. Interesting take on several levels even if the boy gets annoying after an hour. With the internet though, searching who is supposed to have the key should be more a piece of cake. No need to walk all over the place. I don't see a boy staying that determined and annoying so long. I would have put the key in the to do list. Well, there had to be a 9-11 film of some sort made.
March 13, 2017
March 11, 2017
I thought the movie was really really good!!
March 2, 2017
Loved it! A great film about moving on and coping with loss was what I was craving at the moment, and this hit the spot. A great way to start off 2012.
January 2, 2017
A beautiful story of grief. Felt very authentic and naive. Great performances even by Bullock. A good ending which was surprising.
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch