Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close Reviews

March 17, 2017
Stephen Daldry unfortunately can't find the right tone to deliver the powerful message contained in Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, but Thomas Horn's impressive debut carries the movie and showcases a maturity well beyond his years.
March 13, 2017
I rented it and realized after a few minutes that I had seen it before. I let it run while doing some other things and found it good enough. Excellent acting of course. Interesting take on several levels even if the boy gets annoying after an hour. With the internet though, searching who is supposed to have the key should be more a piece of cake. No need to walk all over the place. I don't see a boy staying that determined and annoying so long. I would have put the key in the to do list. Well, there had to be a 9-11 film of some sort made.
March 13, 2017
March 11, 2017
I thought the movie was really really good!!
March 2, 2017
Loved it! A great film about moving on and coping with loss was what I was craving at the moment, and this hit the spot. A great way to start off 2012.
January 2, 2017
A beautiful story of grief. Felt very authentic and naive. Great performances even by Bullock. A good ending which was surprising.
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ November 28, 2016
This overly sentimental drama could have been genuinely moving but gets ruined by terrible narrative choices, remaining not only infuriatingly manipulative, given its exploitative matter, but also with an extremely obnoxious protagonist that pushes our patience to the limit.
½ October 28, 2016
Poignant film, loved ... Wonderful performance of Thomas Horn.
½ October 14, 2016
A bit unbelievable, a bit heavy handed, a bit corny but ultimately very moving and emotional. I think movie gets better as it goes. You kinda have to just go along with film even tho its a bit dramatic or not realistic at times bc it does actually have a lot of incite if u stick with the film. I thought it showed grief very well and the stages and how it affects everyone so much in many ways. It makes you think the ppl left alive have it worse than those who died sometimes. Idk why but until they said the kid might have asbergers in film i didnt realize that was what he had-duh! I found the little boy to be funny and sweet in a non-intentional way. You can tell a lot of effort went into making those "crafts/scrapbooks" the kid made. I also enjoyed the New Yorkers different stories and the ny neighborhood feeling. Powerful message and very touching all n all.
September 17, 2016
Whew! Talk about emotional roller coaster.
½ September 14, 2016
Enjoyed the movie. Good story. Can't wait to read the book. Also Thomas Horn his first movie, he did a good job!
½ September 10, 2016
A good movie to take a Sunday afternoon nap to.
½ September 5, 2016
Beautiful, tragic, frustrating, and humorous all at once. This movie is not about sitting back and following a simple storyline. It's about a son who wants to stay with his father and transcend death through his own unique, infuriating quest. Through seeking to conquer death he learns of the stories of others and how the world is still very much alive.
August 30, 2016
Simply amazing. Why this is not rated above 80% is beyond me and really makes me wonder if it's just a bunch of 18-year-olds on this site.
August 10, 2016
Some parts are a bit too pretentious, but especially the scenes immediately connected to the 9/11 attacks are very haunting. In the end it's about healing and accepting the cruelty and beauty of life and that message works and is portrayed really well. And the acting is top notch, if you can get over how incredibly pretentious that kid is most of the time.
July 25, 2016
Not Really A Big Fan of Tom Hanks, He can be in loads of good movies but EXTREMELY LOUD & INCREDIBLY CLOSE is not one of the movies that are good. I was so close to falling asleep on purpose.
I saw this on the train back from kalgoorlie to east perth and it was boring.

I was bored watching it.

Score: 5/10
½ July 9, 2016
Artful and emotional
July 4, 2016
My normal intelligent adult mind rejected the idea of being 'mentally challenged', but somehow I became over-powered by the growing young brain curiosity, as the boy's reaction to the world reminded me of my pre-teen life experiences when worry-free health and safety seemed you were born to be worry-free through emotional curiosity, even though the key was meant to be a financial reward to set up the boy and his mother for financial freedom from some bank deposit box, unfortunately that was not the case, and my adult mind felt disappointment. In his case, the achievement is to control fear and anger through love and courage that are spiritual - a word that is a mystery of God creation ;;
June 27, 2016