Eyes Wide Shut - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eyes Wide Shut Reviews

½ January 14, 2017
Clever last film from Stanley Kubrick - can see why its not to everyone's taste though.
January 7, 2017
One of Kubrick's weaker films, however, it is still a great movie experience.
½ December 28, 2016
This movie makes you feel the most skeptical you'll ever be.
December 27, 2016
Eyes Wide Shut is easily my favorite Tom Cruise movie, my favorite Stanley Kubrick film, and one of my favorite Christmas movies as well.
½ December 25, 2016
Intriguing relationship sexual tensions and an expose of the underbelly of high society. A really good Christmas film that constantly feels like the season with cold weather and Christmas lights in nearly every shot. I love the Christmas time in New York atmosphere from the New York streets and shops, to cafes, to cramped humble apartments to the lavish lifestyles (although not actually filmed in NYC). The film is also better when you are aware of the ritualistic history of American society and know that there are secret parties among the most powerful.
½ December 10, 2016
Although inferior to his classics, Stanley Kubrick's erotic last film is a movie I ended watching not really knowing what to say, as I was perplexed by what exactly the film was trying to say.
½ November 28, 2016
A slow-burning Kubrickian exploration of extramarital sexual desire and jealousy full of symbolism, and it throws us together with the characters in a nightmarish odyssey highlighted by a terrific game of colors using blue and red to suggest menace and unconscious sex impulses.
½ November 24, 2016
Chock full of esoteric symbolism. This film can be seen on many different levels. The score added much tension and was driving me crazy. Friggin illuminati and their sex rituals...
November 8, 2016
I wish I couldn't disrespect the legend's final work, but I have to. The movie was missing the touch of neorealism all his previous movies had, not to mention it was littered with witty dialogue and mediocre acting. And the last hour was just a load of awkward silence of music that was already getting annoying and over used. The last word of the movie... his movies never had any end lessons for the characters or audience.

I'm sorry Stanley Kubrick, but you left us without a bang.
November 4, 2016
An intriguing film that has so many twists and turns. This was the first Kubrick film I ever saw, and it was definitely a surreal experience. Although it doesn't hold as much weight has films like 2001, A Clockwork Orange, or Dr. Strangelove, it's definitely a film worth checking out. Not only because it is Kubrick's final film, but it's one with sequences that are visually surreal and it has a story that is an intense one.
½ October 25, 2016
This film is absolutely brilliant. Like many of Kubrick's films, I didn't love this movie the first time I saw it, in fact, I didn't really get it. Yet, watching it again, I realize theres a lot to work off of and think about. Kubrick considered this film to be one of his best films he has directed, and so do I.
October 8, 2016
Kubrick... how are you this good at movie making? How do you think so differently about this art form than everyone else? This film is not for everyone, but it is objectively a masterpiece.
September 25, 2016
One of Kubrick's best works. great acting from Cruise and Kidman, as always masterful directing from the master of cinema. Kubrick's most underrated work, in his top three best ever. A+
September 19, 2016
Spellbinding, dark and multi-layered. Withstands multiple viewings and still leaves you scratching your head as you find new detail.
September 18, 2016
Looks like a disgusting, badly acted film that I don't believe I will be watching anytime soon.
September 11, 2016
Kubric, must have been losing his touch near death. This movie has no substance whatsoever but is not lacking in long drawn out "talking head" scenes. The only reason i finished this film, was the faith i had in Stanley Kubric and the hope that it would at some point climax (no pun intended) this is by far, nicole kidmans worst performance and one typical of tom cruise. This films ONLY redeeming quality is it's visual appeal. Sorry not sorry, to all those hyping this movie on every corner of the internet. I said it. This movie blows.
½ September 4, 2016
This movie was a complete waste of time. Infidelity and sex are such interesting topics but this movie made them boring and tedious. Nothing happens. There was one scene that was interesting for about 30 seconds. That's it. Why does this movie even exist? Can someone please remake this and change the story so something actually happens? Please?
August 23, 2016
Reportedly Kubrick's favorite film of his own as well as being his last feature film, Eyes Wide Shut is definitely an excellent movie. The non-linear story is very deep and can be easily missed if taken at face value.
August 8, 2016
A haunting study of what it means to struggle with the desire and temptation of the unknown in our daily, and often menial lives.