Eyes Wide Shut - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eyes Wide Shut Reviews

½ June 11, 2018
This is a mesmerizing x-ray of a marriage and the desires and eroticism of a husband and wife. It's got mystery, decadence, tenderness, debauchery, and the hint of sexy secret societies which conduct orgies and murder. Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman give wonderful performances, some of their best, and Kubrick always holds your attention with a style and pacing that draw you in like you're being hypnotized.
½ May 31, 2018
wow such a great film one of his top 3 for sure,
May 28, 2018
this was so incredibly boring; i kept it playing while i left the room to make dinner & then when i came back it this weird masked sex ritual was happening so i was like "whaaaat?!" & this awful dinging music in the background kept playing; realized it wasn't even half over -- what a long weird boring movie. maybe i would've liked it better if i hadn't left the room that first time.
April 28, 2018
Kubrick left us with a very unsolved riddle here: where does a person go after they've been devastated by the one human being they thought loved them the most? Basically, if you watch closely enough, it appears Nicole Kidman's Alice character might be a little bi polar... She's basically just toying with Tom Cruise's Bill through the whole story.... Perhaps then marriage itself is the big mystery of life? Who can say... Still my favorite movie set around Christmas time, even with all its dark, disturbing themes. PS: the whole sex party sequence is the stuff of great cinema. It's a long mesmerizing trip the second Bill enters the house.
½ April 18, 2018
NYC sex film filled with many themes and colors. Dropped half a star for Nicole Kidman's desperate acting perfromance.
April 13, 2018
One star i for Nicole Kidman Getting naked.
½ April 1, 2018
Honestly, much like a lot of Kubrick's work, it's better on the second watch. The first time through, you're sort of like "what the fuck?" and question why you watched it at all. The second time through, it's more like a learning experience & you're looking for symbolism & what not. I still don't think it's his best work but I have learned to appreciate it more. It definitely draws you into the story & you're along for the ride thinking "what has he gotten himself into?"
½ March 29, 2018
I think that all the sense (if you want to find a sense) is in a sentence through the end, which is not so simple to get the first time. Especially if you are italian and your english is still not that good... Still. I liked it. The atmosphere in it is just right.
March 26, 2018
This movie has hidden themes and intriguing enough story to keep you glued to your screen. The mood given is like no other. Truly one of Kubrick greatest works!
March 3, 2018
This movie is something else, a piece of art.

First, lets start with technical aspect.
The dialogues and the scenes in the movie are something else - they are long and slow, which is quite unusual for movies. The scenes are very slow, but they glue you to the screen. You have intense feeling while watching the movie and the movie is mysterious.
You have to watch this movie in a slow, relaxed, immersed state - don't expect action here.
This movie is really well directed and is truly a piece of cinematographic art in different ways - dialogues, story, meaning, scenes, looks.
Keep in mind there's really a lot of nudity here, so you might not want to show or recommend it to everyone.

* What is the movie about and what is the lesson? *
The whole movie I was asking myself "Why would she tell her husband that she wanted to have sex with another man?! That can totally ruin their relationship, it was not necessary to tell that!". However, after reading reviews, it seems that actually the movie is about on sexual relationship and fantasies and that you NEED to be open about some things like that. When a couple does not share their fantasies or desires then they might start fantasizing bad things, like cheating with someone else who can fullfill these desires. As a result, they both started fantasizing about cheating.
Thus, it is important to tell your desires or thoughts to the partner, to make sure they know what you want.

As some people have noticed, there are really many sexual scenes in this movie with different types of people, which all might represent something, no one knows for sure, so there are many theories, but I guess it is open for interpretation on purpose.

I think it is worth reading fan theories, for example on reddit I've seen some really interesting theories.
February 16, 2018
Nothing short of a masterpiece.
February 15, 2018
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Un notable trabajo en el uso del color en su incompleta dirección del maestro Kubrick, sin embargo la historia resulta ser en cierto grado decepcionante.
February 13, 2018
Wish i had missed this one. But then again Kubrick is not always about what you wanna see, and more about what he wants you to learn.
½ February 12, 2018
Not the funnest movie to watch, Eyes Wide Shut is a masterfully directed film, I've never seen anything like it. Kubrick puts you in Cruise's shoes and just leaves you there, definetly see this if you are a fan of Kubrick or of movies in general.
February 7, 2018
Didn't like this movie the first time around, but loved it on second viewing seen within the context of the power of wealth. The world is run by those with the most money, the majority serving them in one capacity or another.
January 14, 2018
2 hours of my life wasted
January 13, 2018
you're not even looking at it..

Eyes Wide Shut

Stanley offers doubts, raises questions and upbeats the entity in this overlong (needs a bit editing) yet a stunning craft in which Tom brings his A game.
½ January 5, 2018
Never anything like Stanley..
December 23, 2017
M-F-O

9.2

[Stanley Kubrick]
½ December 16, 2017
Another beautiful Kubrick film.