Eyes Wide Shut - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eyes Wide Shut Reviews

½ November 28, 2016
A slow-burning Kubrickian exploration of extramarital sexual desire and jealousy full of symbolism, and it throws us together with the characters in a nightmarish odyssey highlighted by a terrific game of colors using blue and red to suggest menace and unconscious sex impulses.
½ November 24, 2016
Chock full of esoteric symbolism. This film can be seen on many different levels. The score added much tension and was driving me crazy. Friggin illuminati and their sex rituals...
November 8, 2016
I wish I couldn't disrespect the legend's final work, but I have to. The movie was missing the touch of neorealism all his previous movies had, not to mention it was littered with witty dialogue and mediocre acting. And the last hour was just a load of awkward silence of music that was already getting annoying and over used. The last word of the movie... his movies never had any end lessons for the characters or audience.

I'm sorry Stanley Kubrick, but you left us without a bang.
November 4, 2016
An intriguing film that has so many twists and turns. This was the first Kubrick film I ever saw, and it was definitely a surreal experience. Although it doesn't hold as much weight has films like 2001, A Clockwork Orange, or Dr. Strangelove, it's definitely a film worth checking out. Not only because it is Kubrick's final film, but it's one with sequences that are visually surreal and it has a story that is an intense one.
½ October 25, 2016
This film is absolutely brilliant. Like many of Kubrick's films, I didn't love this movie the first time I saw it, in fact, I didn't really get it. Yet, watching it again, I realize theres a lot to work off of and think about. Kubrick considered this film to be one of his best films he has directed, and so do I.
October 8, 2016
Kubrick... how are you this good at movie making? How do you think so differently about this art form than everyone else? This film is not for everyone, but it is objectively a masterpiece.
September 25, 2016
One of Kubrick's best works. great acting from Cruise and Kidman, as always masterful directing from the master of cinema. Kubrick's most underrated work, in his top three best ever. A+
September 19, 2016
Spellbinding, dark and multi-layered. Withstands multiple viewings and still leaves you scratching your head as you find new detail.
September 18, 2016
Looks like a disgusting, badly acted film that I don't believe I will be watching anytime soon.
September 11, 2016
Kubric, must have been losing his touch near death. This movie has no substance whatsoever but is not lacking in long drawn out "talking head" scenes. The only reason i finished this film, was the faith i had in Stanley Kubric and the hope that it would at some point climax (no pun intended) this is by far, nicole kidmans worst performance and one typical of tom cruise. This films ONLY redeeming quality is it's visual appeal. Sorry not sorry, to all those hyping this movie on every corner of the internet. I said it. This movie blows.
½ September 4, 2016
This movie was a complete waste of time. Infidelity and sex are such interesting topics but this movie made them boring and tedious. Nothing happens. There was one scene that was interesting for about 30 seconds. That's it. Why does this movie even exist? Can someone please remake this and change the story so something actually happens? Please?
August 23, 2016
Reportedly Kubrick's favorite film of his own as well as being his last feature film, Eyes Wide Shut is definitely an excellent movie. The non-linear story is very deep and can be easily missed if taken at face value.
August 8, 2016
A haunting study of what it means to struggle with the desire and temptation of the unknown in our daily, and often menial lives.
½ July 31, 2016
"Eyes Wide Shut" is a film that communicates through sex and the exploitation of pleasure concepts, let's first talk about the technical aspects are great, the sound speaks for itself track, Stanley Kubrick may not have participated in the post production of the film (the master died before), but different from what most people think, for me Stanley Kubrick would be very proud of the issue, we realize it's not Kubrick in some moments in the film abuses soundtrack ( at the beginning of the film, half pro end is understandable), and mounts scenes, some are a little dissonant in what would be the natural continuation of the film, but the picture is perfect, beautiful, it's amazing how the message is passed only by film photography, the couple in bed, the couple fighting, when William Harford (Tom Cruise) enters the "Company", those plans that have the feeling of sheer terror, is spectacular, the performances are good, nothing but so Nicole Kidman has even a shame moments of others when trying to look drunk and Tom Cruise always seems to be lost, and in some serious moments he's just laughing, but that does not essentially affect the film, the script has rhythm problems, but it is very well built, the dialogues are great, all the characters that appear are very well exploited, even those that appear 2min on the scene in the end, despite being a much criticized film, "eyes Wide shut" is a great movie , I'm sure that after a while people will start to open their eyes and see what the film says, and it will become a cult, as with all genius Stanley Kubrick movies.

SPOILER: Eyes Wide Shut is a film that plunges headlong into the symbologies, we see the life of a successful couple, but with the relationship already very worn, we see Alice, the wife of our protagonist provided him some stories, like the fact her fantasize with others, soon after that, William strolling through New York, and realize the vulgarity at all, it almost relates to a prostitute, soon after, he meets a friend who talks about a party somewhat different, and this is where the film begins to me, the whole scene is amazing, and extremely tense and terrifying, William comes face to face with a kind of seemingly satanic nature sect (the magic circle that are around him, the music that in some moments is played backwards and the orgy that is very reminiscent of the biblical passages of sodomo and Gomorrah), and seem to be prophesying a sexual nature ritual (very common in this type of sect), and seemingly every high-ranking New York is present who really understands the subject should be elated by so much symbolism that has these scenes, William is easy sex wherever you want it delves into the psyche of the sensitive universe, where all relationships are linked to sex, to the guy who sells fancy (practically selling their underage daughter), to the daughter of his friend who dies (kissing William), the friend of the prostitute that says that Domino has HIV, and end up his wife who does not speak the loved forever , but briefly, and says that they have to have sex, because following all the logic of the film, all social relations must be contemplated by the pleasure to be meaningful.

Sorry for my English translator google
July 29, 2016
Kubrick's films are always extremely thought-provoking, and this one is no exception, but Schnitzler's novella doesn't translate easily to modern day New York from turn-of the-century Vienna, with the outrage of Victorian middle class morality to the sexual interpretation Freud put on the forbidden fantasies of dreams as a result of sexual repression. The sexual revolution of the 1960s and 70s makes these scenes of orgies and the need for secrecy about them seem rather nonsensical in modern society, where weekend frat parties are just about as bad, certainly nothing worth potentially murdering to keep secret. The connection of sex and darkness, sex and death makes some sense, because of the introduction into the story of HIV, although in Schnitzler's time before antibiotics general disease was just as much of a risk. In 1900's Vienna, the issues of the plot are also in connection with anti-Semitism (Schnitzler, like Freud, was Jewish) and the sense of a dark future coming is seen by history to come to fruition. The sense of doom in the original work is echoed in other Jewish writer's of the time, such as Kafka That sense of doom translates somewhat to the AIDS epidemic, but it is a harder sell. Taking a literary work so far out of its time period is difficult, and in this case, although interesting, not as entirely successful as other Kubrick films, although Kubrick is always intellectually stimulating.
July 17, 2016
Though mostly well-acted, the editor seems to have fallen asleep halfway through... as did I.
July 16, 2016
checked this out a few times and it is totally under-rated....pull the curtains shut,get some nibbles and beer,and give it a go.
June 21, 2016
Really enjoyed it, regardless of anything truly happening, and ending just how it did. Really interesting and entertaining(not like any of the superhero movies) film about marriage and infidelity and the human psyche within those constraints.
...and there were great boobs throughout.
Win win win.
½ June 19, 2016
La prima parte del film ha dei ritmi un po' troppo lenti a differenza della seconda dove la suspance sale e il film prende forma. Iconica la scena del rito orgiastico che insieme alla colonna sonora gli vale il voto e la sufficienza. Per il resto un Kubrick sotto tono.