Fantasia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fantasia Reviews

June 16, 2018
Fantasia is the Disney film which I most definitely respect the most, but admittedly I have never been in love with, though it does grow on me upon each subsequent viewing. The sheer ambition here is impressive, though it did prove to be too much to handle for the filmmakers. The mixing of beautiful classical music and some of the best animation ever resulted in one immensely artistic, indisputably inspired experiment. It is a flawed film because it is very uneven in quality as the first couple of segments are forgettable and some of the later segments are also far from great. However, the two best segments make it worth a watch alone. The Sorcerer's Apprentice is a classic Mickey Mouse segment which is flawlessly constructed and iconic in every way, but Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria is my favorite as it features a powerful villain Chernabog and one of the finest scenes in the history of Disney animation which is that indescribably beautiful, hopeful and simply transcendent in experience ending.
½ June 11, 2018
This is one of Disney's Golden Age classics of all time, you can still enjoy through out the centuries as years go by. The animation, the visual and the music is all good! It would even put ya to sleep at night to enjoy while you dream. A Night on Bald Mountain, is still one of my all time favorites, you can even enjoy this one on the Halloween events.
June 2, 2018
It's inventive and fun, it's anarchic and the one Disney animated feature that has naked girls in it! Okay, but that's not it's main quality. The music is fantastic and the images are colorful. It's not so much about story as it is a synergy of these images and the music - a quality Disney developed with their series of shorts called Silly Symphonies. Mickey became a pop culture icon as the sorcerer's apprentice - for good reason. "His" episode in Fantasia is - hands down - the best.
May 28, 2018
"Fantasia"
Review by: Doug Nau

Rating:*****/5

Directed by: Samuel Armstrong (Toccata and Fugue in D Minor)
(Nutcracker Suite)
James Algar (The Sorcerer's Apprentice)
Bill Roberts
Paul Satterfield (The Rite of Spring)
Ben Sharpsteen
David D. Hand (Meet the Soundtrack)
Hamilton Luske
Jim Handley
Ford Beebe (The Pastoral Symphony)
T. Hee
Norm Ferguson (Dance of the Hours)
Wilfred Jackson (Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria)

Produced by: Walt Disney

Ludwig van Beethoven
Amilcare Ponchielli
Modest Mussorgsky
Franz Schubert

In this Review for Walt Disney 3rd animated feature film Fantasia which was once initially titled The Concert Feature his most ambitious undertaking ever I will review and tell you about each segment and rate them.The film consists of eight animated segment set to pieces of classical music as conducted by Leopold Stokowski, orchestra performed by The Philadelphia Orchestra, Deems Taylor provides the live-action introductions to each segment. When Fantasia was initially released in 1940 it was not an instant success got mixed reaction from critics and It failed to generate a profit or large commercial audience at first, and the limitations in reproducing Fantasound left Disney in financial straits. It didn't make profit and popularity until its re-release to theaters in 1969 and rose to classic status it is today. The segments in the film included:

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor: ***/5
The first segment in the film features Live-action shots of the orchestra illuminated in colors, backed by superimposed shadows. The number segues into abstract animated patterns, lines, shapes and cloud formations synchronized to Johann Sebastian Bach "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. The segment is full of colorful abstract patterns, while not quite one of my favorite segments but still great to see all the patterns, shapes, and lines beautifully flows in sync with the music.

Nutcracker Suite: ****/5
The second segment in the film with a music composed by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky presents with selection of pieces from the ballet and depicts the changing of the changes of the seasons from summer to autumn to winter with no plot. It features a variety of dances are presented with Fairies, Fish, Flowers, mushrooms, and leaves, including "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy", "Chinese Dance", "Dance of the Flutes", "Russian Dance", "Waltz of the Flowers". I love this segment because i adore the colorful eye-candy delight and sprightly beautiful segment, and I really liked the dancing mushrooms guys in the Chinese dance part, and also the fishes Arabian Dancing fishes part charming to.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice: *****/5
The third segment in the film with music is composed by Paul Dukas and based on the 1797 poem "Der Zauberlehrling" features Mickey Mouse as an apprentice of Sorcerer Yen Sid, who attempts to perform some of his master's magic trick before knowing how to control them. This is by one of the most memorable and endearing of all the segments in the film. It is one of the best segments in the film and a signature classic Mickey short.

The Rite of Spring: *****/5
The fourth segment in the film with music composed by Igor Stravinsky is a visual history of the earth's beginnings is depicted to sections of the ballet, from planets formation to first living creatures followed by the reign and extinction of the dinosaurs. This is one the most incredible display of dynamic animation in any animation I have ever seen with the dinosaurs fighting each other is quite amazing artistry. This is one of my very favorite segments in the movie and one the greatest achievement in animation history.

Meet the Soundtrack: ****/5
After intermission, we are introduced the animated soundtrack in the fifth segment in the film, in which he demonstration of how sound is rendered on film, initially a straight white line can change into different shapes and colors based on the sounds played is very brilliantly done and very entertaining to watch.

The Pastoral Symphony: ****/5
The sixth segment in the film with music composed by Ludwig van Beethoven, features mythical ancient Greek world of centaurs, fauns, cupids, and other figures from classical mythology. A gathering for a festival to honor Bacchus, the god of wine, is interrupted by Zeus who creates a storm and throws lighting bolts at the attendees. I really enjoyed this segment I mostly liked the Winged-Horses were so adorable especially the baby horses. The backdrop of the is set in Mount Olympus is depicted in a lush and colorful landscape.

Dance of the Hours: *****/5
The Seventh segment in the film with music composed by Amilcare Ponchielli, is a comic ballet featuring Madome Upanova and her ostriches students; representing the dancers of the morning,Hyacith Hippo and her hippo servants; representing dancers of the daytime, Elephanchine and her elephant troupe; representing the dancers of the Evening, Ben Ali Gator and his rival Alligators; representing dancers of the night. The finale sees the chaotic chase that ensues between all of the characters seen the segment until they eventually decide to dance together and end with the palace collapsing in on itself. This is also one of the entertaining and witty segments with the dancing Ostriches, Hippo, Elephant, and Alligators.One of my favorite segment in the film.

Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria: *****/5
The eighth and finale segment in the film is a combination of two musical pieces composed by Modest Mussorgsky (Night on Bald Mountain) and Franz Schubert (Ave Maria) features Chernabog the demon devil summons evil spirits restless souls from their graves. The spirits dance and fly through the air until driven back by the sound of an Angelus Bell as night fades into dawn. A chorus is heard singing Ave Maria as a line of robed monks is depicted walking with lighted torches through a forest and into the ruins of a cathedral. Chernabog is a crowning achievement with villains as he is the most dynamic Disney villain in history.

So overall this is Walt Disney's crowning achievement and a masterpiece in artistry and its brilliant mix of classical and visual storytelling is nothing I've ever seen done before. This movie displays some of the best animation I've ever seen. This was way beyond its time when it was initially released and is nothing like anything that ever been achieved in animation and visual storytelling. Anyone who enjoys classical music and artistry in animation is astonishingly display in full glory in this fantastic movie.
April 25, 2018
Fantasia is an amazing spectacle. The most unique animated film ever Made. It features some of the most beautiful animation ever made.
March 2, 2018
Yeah, I'm just going to say what most animation lovers say. Its a classic, a true masterpiece, one of Disney's best.
January 15, 2018
Original, great music and visually beautiful. 1001 movies to see before you die.
October 28, 2017
Fantasia is one of my favorite Top 10 Disney films of all time. But I have a request, when Disney releases the Signature Edition next year, lets hope they include the 1982 Digital Re-Recorded version.
October 14, 2017

5. Ave Maria
October 13, 2017
Incredible animation/visuals
July 13, 2017
As a classical music fan I really enjoyed this film. My favorites are the Tchaikovsky Nutcracker sequence and the terrifying animation to go along with Mussorgsky's "Night on Bald Mountain".
June 29, 2017
Fantasia is always forgotten. When people do remember it, they never have anything to say about it. This film is full of probably Disney's best hand-drawn animation all played out to history's best music. This film could be timeless if people would just give it a chance.
½ June 26, 2017
With outstanding musical symphonies, gorgeous animation, incredible visuals and emotion in every scene, Fantasia sends Animated Disney films soaring to new heights.
June 18, 2017
My favorite segment is the opening one "Toccata and Fugue in D minor" By JS Bach.
June 16, 2017
Definitely one of my favorite Classic Disney films. This film is a masterpiece. Mixing classical music with cartoons was a great idea. All the chosen classical pieces are amazing. The cartoons put with the music are beautifully drawn. This film doesn't drag even though it's 2 hours and 5 minutes. Definitely check it out if you LOVE Disney.

Rating: 10/10
June 9, 2017
A misunderstood masterpiece at the time, Disney's groundbreaking film combines both classical music and stunning animation to create something entirely wonderful. Each musical cue is accounted in for in the imagery, and the mood of each piece is captured perfectly in the segment. No words needed, just the beauty in what you see and hear. For those wanting to go into the music business or join an animation studio, this is a must, because there is a reason why Fantasia stands the test of time. In addition, it is great to see a stepping stone to how Disney has gone since the humble beginnings seen here.
April 29, 2017
really enjoyed this film
April 28, 2017
There are great disney and pixar animated films like Up, Inside Out, Mary Poppins, The Incredibles, Big Hero 6, Ratatouille, or both Tron and Tron Legacy but then there is Fantasia not only is this my favorite disney film of all time I think this along with a few others I just said is one of my favorite films ever.
March 13, 2017
Beautiful and imaginative but questionable, standards-wise, Fantasia lifts the usual air about classical music to be an inspirational experiment in art.