Fantasia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fantasia Reviews

July 22, 2016
The animation is groundbreaking and the music is majestic. This is an underrated one, in my opinion. The Magician's Apprentice is the highlight, but this masterpiece has so much more to it than just that.
July 17, 2016
It's beautiful and funny,but there is not enough story under Fantasias phantasmagoria.
½ July 14, 2016
Walt Disney was ahead of his time in may ways when he produced these animations set to music. While the narration scenes are awkward, there are some beautiful and memorable moments here, especially Mickey's the Sorcerer's Apprentice. You will be swept away to another world. 1001
July 9, 2016
A fascinating experimental film that explores music and imagination, Fantasia is a triumph of vision. Combining the talents of the Walt Disney Studio and the Philadelphia Orchestra, several pieces of classical music are brought to life through a series of animated vignettes. With the aid of animation the evocative nature of music is explored, from the expression of mood to complex storytelling. Surprisingly none of Disney's trademark characters appear (other than Mickey Mouse in the Sorcerer's Apprentice segment). Instead the segments feature nature scenes and animals and fairy tale creatures engaged in frivolity. Most of the animation is quite impressive, but some of it is a little crude and generic. Still, Fantasia is an extraordinarily well-craft and artistic film that celebrates the power of music to express thoughts and feelings.
July 7, 2016
This is Possibly the Most Beautiful animated Movie I had ever seen
July 5, 2016
Movies don't need over complicated plots or philosophical debates on the evil's of man to be amazing. That's because at it's core film is a visual medium. A way to express art, ideas, and opinions in a way that you can share with others.

Truly, that's what this movie is, an art piece. You are hear to watch sights and visuals animated to some of the most powerful scores in history. And that's all a person needs. If you don't have the luxury of living near an art museum or a grand old opera, then feel free to sit back and relax, you can now say you've seen both without ever having to have left your home.
May 24, 2016
This movie is combination of two things that I adore. It combines some of the greatest hand drawn animation from Walt Disney Animation Studios, and some of the greatest classical music by some of the greatest composers of all time. All of this and more makes it my favorite film of all time.
½ May 10, 2016
In terms of entertainment value I vastly prefer some of the more traditional storytelling in other Disney classics but it's impossible to deny the artistry on display here in 'Fantasia'.
It's the kind of movie that can legitimately be shown on the wall like a piece of art or playing in the background for simple musical enjoyment, but when you put those two elements together it is a truly beautiful and daring piece of work for its time.
May 8, 2016
Truly a masterful piece of animation and music.
½ April 27, 2016
Seriously messed up stuff to show little kids, or maybe I was a little confused......dont know
½ April 22, 2016
One of the best Disney films ever!
April 17, 2016
The Sorcerer's Apprentice and the Rite of Spring segments are truly remarkable, but the rest not so much. Fantasia isnt really entertaining, despite the music being excellent and beautiful, there isnt really much to grasp at, none of the segments tell a firm story (Except The Sorcerer's Apprentice and Rite of Spring) for it to be classified as a film. It's more of an overlong music video.
Also the bone dry prologue before every new segment is uninteresting and completely takes away the surprise and imagination you could have had, because before every segment, it is fully explained what is about to happen.
If every live-action part, and maybe 4 or 5 segments were edited out of this film, it would be much better.

However the animation is stellar and apprentice, it brims to the top with creativity and its highly influential despite it not being that entertaining at all.
March 20, 2016
Well after the Disney classics of Snow White and Pinocchio it seems Walt had to do something really special. I mean REALLY special! Walt Disney had made a landmark of animation to Musical animated feature with no dialogue. How fascinating is that?

The musical themes are:
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor
Nutcracker Suite
The Sorcerer's Apprentice (starring Mickey Mouse)
The Rite of Spring
The intermission of Meet the Soundtrack
The Pastoral Symphony
Dance of the Hours
Night on Bald Mountain
and finally Ave Maria

That's all the classical musicals there is. I have only seen the opening number of Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, The Rite of Sping which is scary and the beautiful musical theme Ave Maria. Years ago I've watched The Rite of Spring and when I got older my friend Sam Hudson told me that it is a box office disappointment. I didn't know that it is a box office disappointment when I watch this movie because Sam told me that because of the World War II. Aside from that, this Disney classic is a critical acclaim. The music in this is beautiful just the two Disney classics, it is a achivement of all of us.
March 17, 2016
Pretty cool Disney movie
½ March 13, 2016
"Fantasia" is a classic but it is not without its faults. This huge undertaking tackles eight pieces of classical music in their entirety, but there comes a point where this feels like the longest Disney movie ever. Its highs are really high and its lows are pretty low, from The Sorcerer's Apprentice (my personal favorite Mickey Mouse cartoon of all time) down to the slow-moving Toccata and Fugue that shows little more than superimposed images of the orchestra in Technicolor. The entire film is incredibly creative with a vast number of characters, memorable moments that will forever come to mind when their respective song plays, and the transformation of some pieces of absolute music into program music. The lowest point of the film is the evolutionary interpretation of The Rite of Spring. Dinosaurs are cool but this sequence is terribly boring. There is also way too much time spent giving this an authentic concert feel with lengthy introductions for each piece, an in depth explanation of the soundtrack, and even an intermission. This is evidenced by the fact that subsequent releases of the film edited out the majority of the introductions in favor of a more compact musical presentation. I prefer the more family-friendly "Fantasia 2000" that focuses on the music, cuts each piece to an appropriate length, and animates its sequences with memorable stories. The film does successfully bring its musical selections to life as the colors in each scene reflect the mood of the music and the pieces are given some sort of story. The various nationalities represented in The Nutcracker Suite are cleverly given their ethnic characteristics, though the racial representations went a bit too far in Beethoven's 6th Symphony (and have since been edited out). The Beethoven is great when the cartoony unicorns are flying around but the centaur love sequences and drunk god of wine detract from the whimsy. Seriously, so much nudity with those centaurs. The Dance of the Hours provides the iconic ballet-dancing hippos and elephants that bring some much needed comedy to the latter half of the film and the Night on Bald Mountain sequence continues to be one of the darkest moments in all of Disney animation. As I mentioned, the highlight is The Sorcerer's Apprentice. This marks the first appearance of the redesigned Mickey who now had pupils to allow for a greater range of expression. The colors are vivid, the story is fascinating, and it is perfectly in sync with every musical cue. It is no surprise that this sequence has influenced rides and shows at Disney parks as well as being reused in "Fantasia 2000." You will be hard-pressed to find a better Mickey cartoon than this one. I know that I should claim this as my favorite Disney film because of the attention that it brings to classical music but I do find it to be longwinded and that it might actually cause younger kids to dislike classical music. Parts of the film are entertaining but the feature as a whole is cumbersome, even for some with two degrees in music. "Fantasia" is a film best suited for classical music experts and die-hard fans of Disney cinema. Everybody else should defer to the pared-down-but-equally-significant sequel that captures the essence of Walt's concept without the length, borderline inappropriate imagery, and questionable message of evolution.
February 29, 2016
Best Mickey Mouse movie ever! So much music I love!
February 25, 2016
One of Walt Disney's foremost masterpieces.
Seventy-five years after its debut, it's still stands as a staggering and revelatory achievement.
February 24, 2016
A classic-a film of the first music videos with fantastic animation. To see this on the big screen is spectacular!
February 5, 2016
Some of the shorts are certainly better than others, but it's still a significant movie for it's stunning animation
January 7, 2016
A classic Disney movie with amazing animation and a great score