Fantastic Planet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fantastic Planet Reviews

August 13, 2017
Surreal and creatively F A N T A S T I C.
René Laloux, 1973
Animated sci-fi.
August 8, 2017
Totally bizarre animated film that gets better each time I see it.
June 9, 2017
Unique animated French film about a planet where two separate alien species (One exploitative of the other miniature human-like race) learn to somehow co-exist. Surrelist and idiosyncratic with wonderfully trippy animation, La Planete Sauvage is an intelligent, philosophical experience that presents a universal perspective on the folly of the human race.
½ May 4, 2017
With beautiful, stylistic hand-drawn animation, extraordinary world building, an admirable attention to detail and such an imaginative, yet thematically sophisticated story, Fantastic Planet is also very dreamlike and strange accompanied by such a great score and phenomenal creature designs. Consequently, this artistic French classic is one of the best that both animation and science fiction have to offer.
April 26, 2017
Fantastic Planet is very good. Very unique and cute movie that anyone would like
April 18, 2017
Not as revelatory in the art or story as one would hope, but if you want a strange way to spend an hour it's not a bad choice.
April 14, 2017
It's Terry Gilliam's animation style married with an acid trip. Truly surreal, engrossing, and worthy of it's Cannes film festival prize.
February 9, 2017
Known futuristic animation with a surreal and creative story, looks and presentation. The animation production started in Prague but was moved to Paris shortly after. Done in French - the language I used too. Not sure if a dubbed version would have lifted it or not.

Blue giants, known as "Draags" are ruling a planet and they take some human-ish creatures, known as "Oms" as slaves or pets or something. The Oms tries to get their freedom and there is a war going on between the two species. Who will win?

This film is all about letting your mind go and observe and digest the images. It's beautifully crafted. Great drawings, sweet creatures and imaginative like drugs where a must at the production and the result is an actual drug itself. For me the best part of the film was still the soundtrack done by Alain Goraguer. Trippy, soulful jazz - almost like triphop at times. Songs from this film has been sampled by loads of artists and it's easy to see (hear) why. The combination of dope music and extraordinary, sci-fi animation is superb - but even if the story is good too, I wanted even more. I missed some character development or some feelings towards a few characters. I felt like an observer, observing an entire society.

It's all right, but it feels like I missed out on many details that way and my attention fell at times. Still I would not have the lenght expanded. 70 minutes felt about right. I'm sure there is plenty of symbolism and metaphores here, but I don't get half of it. Fascinating, trippy, memorable and psychedelic film that's both disturbing and touching.

8 out of 10 rain cloud producing gadgets.
½ February 4, 2017
January 25, 2017
I watched Fantastic Planet for the first time about a week ago and it is still seeping greatly through my psyche. I don't think I'd ever experienced a film that shattered my perception of reality so strongly and with profound philosophical intent, creatively integrating Plato's allegory, theory of mind, and lots of Nietzschean existentialism. It is a social statement along with a statement on our consciousness told through beautifully demented sci-fi dystopia. An absolute masterpiece.
½ January 16, 2017
Very trippy and interesting!
October 8, 2016
Extremely weird and intriguing commentary on one species domination over another. The trippy Bosch/Dalí animation coupled with the art rock soundtrack makes this film a fun watch.
September 3, 2016
One of the standout unique animation movies, made on a limited budget and with imagination from a far. Liberal and psychedelic, thus vital in the surival one spieces from an other.
½ August 30, 2016
A wholly original film with a unique animation style. The story is interesting but it is the atmosphere and fantasy that truly won me over.
½ August 24, 2016
Wizards and Heavy Metal are usually the two films brought up when looking back at retro adult-aimed animated fare, but this is better than either of them. This intoxicating Czech/French production feels like the child of Pink Floyd and Frank Herbert, and backs up it's creepy visuals with an intriguing story. The narration is unnecessary and there is a bit of suspension of disbelief needed near the climax, but I doubt you won't walk away from this film pleased. It's easy to see why hip-hop producer Madlib likes this movie so much.
½ July 29, 2016
3.5/5 Fantastic Planet delights with surreal visuals and a groovy soundtrack, but the storytelling itself might feel a bit flat to some.
½ July 5, 2016
Dirigida por el francés René Laloux y con los diseños del checo Roland Topor, "El Planeta Salvaje" es un extraño y delirante film animado de ciencia ficción, en el que una raza de gigantes extraterrestres toman a los seres humanos como mascotas y/o plagas. Definitivamente para un público adulto, esta maravillosa obra logra perturbar, conmover y reflexionar en partes iguales.
May 12, 2016
Fantastic Planet is a bizarre, beautiful, imaginative, elegant work of animation.
½ April 17, 2016
This bizarre animated sci fi film is a little treasure with its ethical and philosophical issues as a plus.