Faraway, So Close! (In weiter Ferne, so nah!) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Faraway, So Close! (In weiter Ferne, so nah!) Reviews

½ December 24, 2015
We are all glad to see again the characters, and I understand Wim Wenders wants again to go around by the same scenario. The atmosphere is one again very good, but it does not seem to bring much more new. The best effort comes from the actors and a few pieces from the script.
June 11, 2015
In this sequel to Wings of Desire, 2 other angels watch over the lives of the people, however this this film has changed its tone from a romantic avant garde drama to a thriller... It's still watchable but the running time was so long I almost fell asleep.
½ July 6, 2014
Not really bad, but not really so good either. ...Especially when one considers the original film. Avoid it.
½ February 12, 2014
Quite a disappointment compared to its masterpiece prequel, Wings of Desire. The first film was very serious, full of philosophical thoughts about life, narrated by a voiceover througout entire film. Wim Wenders probably tried to make the second one not as depressing. So we hear characters thoughts as well, witness their dramas, but also have implausible elements of mafia movie, which simply don't belong here, and plot twists that make no sense. Also, Wings of Desire, ending in words "to be continued" had a more definite end than its sequel. Faraway, so Close ends as if there has to be even another sequel.
September 19, 2013
Boring! Some cenima footage worth seeing!
August 11, 2013
Not entirely successful sequel to the transcendent Wings of Desire, enlivened primarily by the presence of a real angel on Earth: Nastassja Kinski.
January 14, 2013
One of the best movies ever made!!
December 21, 2012
The film is consistantly intriguing, well-acted, and relies on subtle originality to spur on one scene to the next. However, the plot moves relatively slow, and never reach a grandeur resolution, which one would expect, considering the brilliant spritually-stirring First Act of the angels watching over mortals residing in Berlin.
½ November 11, 2012
Though it may not be as good as the movie it follows, Wings of Desire, it is a beautiful continuation of story of a group of angels. Two of which have already "fallen" to Earth, and they are joined by another "fallen" angel. Thus continues the poetic philisophical journey that these angels go on, as they discover what it means to be human.
August 30, 2012
nebyt Nebe nad Berlinem, vcelku prumernej film... pri srovnani neuveritelna sracka :/
May 10, 2012
"Il Cielo sopra Berlino" riuscý ad abbattere le barriere del cinema d'autore, grazie ad un formato cinematografico del tutto nuovo che univa una raffinata sintassi poetica con una narrazione metafisica focalizzata sulla meditazione di due angeli sul mistero dell'esistenza, sui danni arrecati dai conflitti della Germania e la crisi d'identitÓ del popolo tedesco, dopo la sconfitta della seconda guerra mondiale, e poco prima della fine della guerra fredda. Il regista realizz˛ immagini di straordinario splendore separando il mondo "ectoplasmico" da quello reale, grazie ad un dispositivo fotografico che impartiva le scene di un'atmosfera fiabesca meravigliosamente surreale e romantica. "Faraway So Close" riecheggia la stessa forma del primo episodio, questa volta costruita attorno alla figura dell'angelo Cassiel, uno dei due messaggeri divini del primo episodio che, dopo aver salvato la vita ad una ragazzina, diventa un essere umano. Purtroppo, dopo le prime, suggestive scene, che sembrano evocare Il Cielo sopra Berlino, il film comincia a mostrare la sua disorganicitÓ, per via di un intreccio che non riesce a snocciolare efficacemente le tesi sostenute dall'autore, e dei cameo di una serie di celebritÓ dal mondo della musica (sua maestÓ Lou Reed) e del piccolo schermo che sembrano essere stati piazzati forzatamente solo per riempire alcuni bachi dello script. La tecnica della direzione Ŕ ancora una volta parecchio attraente, e non deluderÓ i fan di Wenders, mentre il resto degli spettatori avrÓ qualche difficoltÓ dall'astenersi alla noia nelle parti pi¨ approssimative, e prive di quell'intenso ed appagante pathos che caratterizzava la prima pellicola.
½ April 7, 2012
so beautiful, really really love this film, and Nastassja is so wonderful and sweet
½ December 4, 2011
Failure to grasp or personal tensions hovering or both of them, whatever be the cause, I can't rate this movie any more than 1/10, I kept my patience at its best even though it started ticking me off after a few minutes. Since it's rated so high and is given the form of a thriller, I just kept waiting for something interesting to happen. Even slightly. But I was expecting for too much here. Introduction of more and more characters with random events going on was a terrible mess. I might have been inclined to care for those random moments had they not been executed so genuinely. Yet I gave it the best attention I could hoping for that an engaging sequence, but it was too long before such a moment finally arrived. Unfortunately, what lied beyond wasn't any good either.

Painfully slow (whether or not intentionally; no spoilers intended), this movie was an extremely traumatic experience for me. [Yet it'd probably stay in my memory for quite a while since I can't remember when I was thiiiiiiiiis optimistic (kept waiting hoping that something interesting to happen) last time.] The length of the movie only added to my agony. Since I didn't like it, most of you are bound to.

Well,that's it then. You've my consolations if you've had the same experience reading my comment.
November 12, 2011
Beautiful movie, great cameos by Lou Reed and excellent music by U2. A shame that it's not as good as "wings of desire".
kylemydude
November 12, 2011
A fantastic sequel, although it departs in tone from the original film, this film shares the same themes, but is more of a mystery, one might go as far as to classify it as a thriller believe it or not. It won the Grand Jury Prize at Cannes and was nominated for the Palme d'or. This truly needs to be seen more, only one of my Flixster friends have seen it! It stars the cast of Wings of Desire: Otto Sander(This time as the lead), Bruno Ganz, Peter Falk, and Solveig Dommartin. In addition it also stars Willem Dafoe, Nastassja Kinski, Horst Buchholz, and even Mikhail Gorbachev(In his only acting role) and Lou Reed.
September 11, 2011
Comparison with Wings of Desire is inevitable, and this sequel cannot match it, however it's still beautiful.
½ June 10, 2011
Pretty poor sequel to his masterpiece Wings of Desire, this is one of Wender's worst films.
April 25, 2011
├sta me gust├│ a├║n m├ís.
March 18, 2011
Mda... nu tot ce zboar─-i avion. Diferit de Wings of Desire, sequelul respectiv exploreaz─ cealalt─ latur─ a umanit─╚>ii (dincolo de cafeaua fierbinte) - r─ul. Dar, luckily, neb─nuite sunt c─ile...