18% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Faraway, So Close! (In weiter Ferne, so nah!) Reviews

familiar s

December 4, 2011
Failure to grasp or personal tensions hovering or both of them, whatever be the cause, I can't rate this movie any more than 1/10, I kept my patience at its best even though it started ticking me off after a few minutes. Since it's rated so high and is given the form of a thriller, I just kept waiting for something interesting to happen. Even slightly. But I was expecting for too much here. Introduction of more and more characters with random events going on was a terrible mess. I might have been inclined to care for those random moments had they not been executed so genuinely. Yet I gave it the best attention I could hoping for that an engaging sequence, but it was too long before such a moment finally arrived. Unfortunately, what lied beyond wasn't any good either.

Painfully slow (whether or not intentionally; no spoilers intended), this movie was an extremely traumatic experience for me. [Yet it'd probably stay in my memory for quite a while since I can't remember when I was thiiiiiiiiis optimistic (kept waiting hoping that something interesting to happen) last time.] The length of the movie only added to my agony. Since I didn't like it, most of you are bound to.

Well,that's it then. You've my consolations if you've had the same experience reading my comment.

April 28, 2010
Faraway, So Close! (German: In weiter Ferne, so nah!) is a 1993 film by German director Wim Wenders which deserves 100%... in everything! This is the movie I watched at least 5 times and every time I discovered a new line, a new meaning, a new scene which fascinates me! Multileveled story with natural developing and perfect dialogs written by Wenders, Richard Reitinger and Ulrich Zieger.

This film is a sequel to Wenders' 1987 film Wings of Desire. Actors Otto Sander and Bruno Ganz are again angels visiting earth, and in the film we can see again Nastassja Kinski with her superb performance. I would like to mention Willem Dafoe and Heinz Rühmann (in his last film role) as perfectly suited for the roles they were chosen for.

The U2 song "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)" was written for the film, and is based on the film's idea of angels wanting to live on earth. This idea is so well excecuted that every single scene looks, not just real, but as only logical choice! This film won the Grand Prix du Jury and was nominated for the Palme d'Or at the 1993 Cannes Film Festival and I still wonder why didn't get it!?

Watch this work of high art and enjoy every moment of it!
kylemydude
kylemydude

November 12, 2011
A fantastic sequel, although it departs in tone from the original film, this film shares the same themes, but is more of a mystery, one might go as far as to classify it as a thriller believe it or not. It won the Grand Jury Prize at Cannes and was nominated for the Palme d'or. This truly needs to be seen more, only one of my Flixster friends have seen it! It stars the cast of Wings of Desire: Otto Sander(This time as the lead), Bruno Ganz, Peter Falk, and Solveig Dommartin. In addition it also stars Willem Dafoe, Nastassja Kinski, Horst Buchholz, and even Mikhail Gorbachev(In his only acting role) and Lou Reed.
Hellshocked
Hellshocked

May 19, 2007
There is absolutely no way this film would ever match the timeless perfection of the photography in "Wings of Desire". The black and white segments, in fact, stand out for this very reason: by comparison they are amateurishly point-and-shoot. The film wisely sidesteps the issue, however, by having the vast majority of it take place in beautiful, vibrant color. This time around it is Cassiel who chooses to fall and experience mortal life, and he does it rather early on, but things do not work out quite as well for him as they did for Damiel.

The film is very different from its predecessor. While "Wings..." was an episodic, meandering mood piece this picture is more straightforward and linear in structure (though still meandering and episodic at times). It's tone, curiously, is also different and somewhat all over the place. "Wings..." was somber, melancholy, it wore the oppressive weight of time as a burden, and only in the end was the veil lifted. "Faraway..." is goofier, more willing to play. It clearly does not take us human beings as seriously as we do. Sequences of potential danger, for instance (the close-call with the armed thugs comes to mind) are handled with tongue firmly planted in cheek. If "Wings..." argued for the ethereal beauty of the simple pleasures (drinking coffee, feeling cold on the tips of one's fingertips, conversation) then "Faraway..." argues for the overall kookiness of day-to-day existence. It shifts in tone quite a few times and its ending is, again, a metaphor.

Most of the regular cast from "Wings.." return, with quite a few additions. Nastassja Kinski, whose presence is always appreciated, appears as Raphaela, an angel who is particularly close to Cassiel. She is stunning, and was born to play an angel. Mikhail Gorbachev makes a self serving cameo that does nothing but call attention to itself. Lou Reed, in a role similar to that of Nick Cave in the first, certainly fits into this universe perfectly and actually has some dialogue to boot. The main addition in terms of the film is Willem Dafoe as a devil-like creature capable of talking to both humans and angels alike. His presence is, in many ways, key though it can also be as goofy as the next.

Was I disappointed by the film? I...suppose. It is by no means a bad flm. It is a good film, a very good film even which, upon repeated viewings, I may grow to consider a great one but I fell in love, hard, with "Wings of Desire" and the radical tonal shift threw me for a loop. The other film may have been heavily improvised but it seemed nothing less than precise, measured. This one feels self serving at times, pretentious at others (and it so hurts me to use that word), like everything including the kitchen sink was thrown in. It works, often very well, but the memory of "Wings..." was too heavy in my mind for me to be able to appreciate it on its own terms.
July 8, 2007
The follow-up to Wings of Desire. The other main angel also decides he wants to take human form, but his life doesn't flow as seamlessly as his friend. This movie has a beautiful, and tragic ending.
February 12, 2014
Quite a disappointment compared to its masterpiece prequel, Wings of Desire. The first film was very serious, full of philosophical thoughts about life, narrated by a voiceover througout entire film. Wim Wenders probably tried to make the second one not as depressing. So we hear characters thoughts as well, witness their dramas, but also have implausible elements of mafia movie, which simply don't belong here, and plot twists that make no sense. Also, Wings of Desire, ending in words "to be continued" had a more definite end than its sequel. Faraway, so Close ends as if there has to be even another sequel.
September 19, 2013
Boring! Some cenima footage worth seeing!
August 11, 2013
Not entirely successful sequel to the transcendent Wings of Desire, enlivened primarily by the presence of a real angel on Earth: Nastassja Kinski.
January 14, 2013
One of the best movies ever made!!
Stefano L.
May 9, 2012
"Il Cielo sopra Berlino" riuscì ad abbattere le barriere del cinema d'autore, grazie ad un formato cinematografico del tutto nuovo che univa una raffinata sintassi poetica con una narrazione metafisica focalizzata sulla meditazione di due angeli sul mistero dell'esistenza, sui danni arrecati dai conflitti della Germania e la crisi d'identità del popolo tedesco, dopo la sconfitta della seconda guerra mondiale, e poco prima della fine della guerra fredda. Il regista realizzò immagini di straordinario splendore separando il mondo "ectoplasmico" da quello reale, grazie ad un dispositivo fotografico che impartiva le scene di un'atmosfera fiabesca meravigliosamente surreale e romantica. "Faraway So Close" riecheggia la stessa forma del primo episodio, questa volta costruita attorno alla figura dell'angelo Cassiel, uno dei due messaggeri divini del primo episodio che, dopo aver salvato la vita ad una ragazzina, diventa un essere umano. Purtroppo, dopo le prime, suggestive scene, che sembrano evocare Il Cielo sopra Berlino, il film comincia a mostrare la sua disorganicità, per via di un intreccio che non riesce a snocciolare efficacemente le tesi sostenute dall'autore, e dei cameo di una serie di celebrità dal mondo della musica (sua maestà Lou Reed) e del piccolo schermo che sembrano essere stati piazzati forzatamente solo per riempire alcuni bachi dello script. La tecnica della direzione è ancora una volta parecchio attraente, e non deluderà i fan di Wenders, mentre il resto degli spettatori avrà qualche difficoltà dall'astenersi alla noia nelle parti più approssimative, e prive di quell'intenso ed appagante pathos che caratterizzava la prima pellicola.

April 28, 2010

Watch this work of high art and enjoy every moment of it!
Mr. E
July 15, 2010
Like it's predecessor, this is quite the interesting movie. It actually tries to have a bit more of a plot, and the beginning especially is very promising. Some interesting new characters are also introduced. The problem is the plot goes into a rather pointless direction, and those interesting characters are never expanded upon.

It still possesses a lot of that dreamy angelic cinematography, however, so it's a worthy experience.
mflorez1
April 28, 2010
This is one of the first foreign movies I ever saw. It was a long time ago but I have very fond memory of it. I believe that I enjoyed it so much because it open my mind to new film experiences and I got to see that there was so much more out there besides Hollywood and its predictability and repetition.
blairsmovies
April 28, 2010
I love the city of Berlin! This film really captures the feeling of the city. Excellent soundtrack too.