Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Reviews

September 5, 2017
That was fucking tripppy...
August 31, 2017
5 STARS.....
It's a surreal portrait of LSD and Hunters rants cravings and psychopathic Idiocracy. it's in my top 3.... it's absolutely FUCKING fantastic and any asshole who has never dropped or Hitched a cab that has no business evening commenting or rating this movie. this movie is for the dropouts the Lunatic Fringe of society.......
God Bless America!
August 24, 2017
Trippy with an overload of kinetic vinegar and a cult classic, Terry Gilliam's adaptation of Hunter S. Thompson's book of the same name boasts a series of edgy mise-en-scènes of counterculturalism and gonzo journalism that is a psychedelic spectacle with no end and purpose in sight.
August 23, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time . I love the banter between Depp and Del Toro. Hunter S Thompson was a genius may he rest in peace
½ July 28, 2017
One hell of a crazy ride!!!
July 26, 2017
This movie is amazing and easily one of Depps best roles, despite overly pretentious, dumbass critics acting like they're too good for this movie. Get that stick out of your butt, guys. C'mon.
July 10, 2017
A masterpiece of endless hilarity, that succeeds at being so weird that you fall under its spell.
½ July 10, 2017
The first hour is such madcap fun performed which such conviction and inventive imagery that it's easy to forgive its lack of narrative; if it's directionless, so what? - it's a drug trip on screen. By the second hour, however, things start wear thin and there's a massive come down in entertainment and interest levels.
½ July 1, 2017
I'm going to be one of those people who don't rave about this film, I don't think it's at great as some think, and that's ok because I'm sure there's films I love others don't. It has its comedic parts and I laughed on several occasions, but it just couldn't keep my interest because I'm not a fan of these drug riddled films. Johnny Depp and Del Toro provide superb performances, Depp was hilarious. I will say also the camera work is so good. I really loved some of the angles they took and filmed from and the effects they used while they were on drugs were very good as well. This was one of my "Need to see" films and I'm glad I did, it just didn't appeal to me and stick with me like it does with others, still glad I finally watched it.
½ June 14, 2017
I appreciate and like how weird it is, and how "visually creative" it is, but that doesn't excuse how "aimless" and kinda pointless it is, and how little they have to offer after a while. It does get old fast, but the second half is worse than the first. Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro give outstanding performances, and there are some great cameos. The cinematography is great, and really adds to the movie/experience. The locations and color palette are also great. It's also way too long. I understand people that love this, and people that hate this.
½ June 7, 2017
biggest pile of crap I have ever seen
May 20, 2017
There's never a dull moment in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." It's weird and confusing, and it's exausting to the point where I just became too tired to laugh, despite the fact I thought it was funny. But that's probably a good thing. It's also a very uncomfortable film, but that ended up adding to my enjoyment.

It feels like everyone involved gave 1000%, and Depp, Del Toro and Gilliam quite obviously didn't even consider restraining themselves from being fully insane. It's clear that a lot of effort was put into making it as strange as it could be, and that alone makes it hard for me to believe anyone could score this negatively. It wasn't lazily made, and then weird because of how lazy it is. It was carefully crafted to be this weird.

I'm gonna be thinking about this one for a long time. I'll also probably have some nightmares.
April 27, 2017
Kind of overrated but its a cool film
April 16, 2017
This has to be one of the most confusing films I have ever tried to give a rating. Unlike a film such as Primer or Inception which were complex but easily able to be seen as brilliant films this was simple in premise but I still can't decide whether this is a work of genius or terrible as far as plot is concerned. This can be down to the lack of considerable plot present in the film and the constant twisting and turning in the direction which the film actually takes. However, I can see the complexity in making a film like this into one with a definite plot as Duke is an unreliable narrator with the film being a culmination of his writing and work. Therefore, with him being drugged up throughout the film I believe it to be a form of Gonzo journalism which Hunter S Thompson was known for writing and so see the film as semi-autobiographical. Although the plot is one which I, through multiple viewings, still don't fully understand and so naturally would put the film in the middle regarding ratings, from the art style and humour of the film being constantly dark and busy with an interesting effect happening in every single scene I have to regard this film as more positive than negative. In my opinion this is a film any film lover should watch as it is interesting and not a pointless film as well as being different from any other film I have ever seen and in that sense is completely unique. Therefore, to conclude, with the acting being brilliant as well as the style of the film being definitively interesting I think anyone should watch this. I personally have to keep watching it for some reason even unknown to me.
April 7, 2017
This is not as brutal as the book, but still pretty awsome to watch Depp and Del Toro high as hell doing the most craziest things ever. Del Toro gives us all a class of acting turning himself in the "bada**" attorney. Gilliam shows his directing skills but not so much writing. Its a hell of a show.
March 20, 2017
Wonderfully warped comedy. Probably Gilliam's most easy to watch film.
½ March 9, 2017
Gave this a re-watch recently to get the big fat Criterion DVD off the To-Watch Pile.

This is definitely one of my favorite films from the '90s, something that I find I can pop in at any time, or God forbid I catch part of it on cable, because I'm gonna have to watch the rest of the film to its conclusion, regardless of what other plans I might've had.

Highly recommended.
February 17, 2017
One of my favorite movies
February 8, 2017
Interesting and trippy little film loosely based on Hunter S Thompson.
½ February 4, 2017
Great film, highly entertaining throughout. Sorry RT, it may not have ticked all the boxes for reputable critics such as yourselves, but I found it very entertaining.