Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Reviews

November 6, 2016
Surreal. Terry Gilliam style. Watching Johnny Depp on drugs during the entire length of the movie.
½ October 9, 2016
No real plot, just one long drug haze, but some memorable moments come out of it.
September 25, 2016
A retrospective of early 1970's drug culture in North America in the most stylish way possible.
September 18, 2016
Questo film ha molti difetti ma sicuramente non gli manca l'originalitÓ.
Tra i difetti principali noto una trama troppo appiattita sugli effetti delle droghe (ovviamente sono il fulcro del racconto, ma qualcosa in pi¨ si poteva mettere nel film oltre alle due frasi finali).
L'altro difetto Ŕ la regia, che prova a ridare l'effetto psichedelico ma che spesso cade nel comico e sembra che tutto il film sia una grande burla (anche qui si discosta la scena finale).
Un film comunque da vedere.
September 2, 2016
I've read the book, and it was good, but am I really the only one who just says "meh" at this movie
July 18, 2016
What fucking asshole would rate this movie anything lower then a 5 should be castrated fucking narcotics agent I knew it
July 5, 2016
Miedo y asco en Las Vegas [1998]
June 18, 2016
It is very well done in the way that they convey an acid trip to film. I feel it should have ended halfway through but all in all it is one of my favorites
May 6, 2016
While Terry Gilliam's visuals are as stupendous and enthralling as usual and Depp's performance is manicly hilarious, the film suffers from the same issue that plagued Thompson's book. The film is funny sporadically and actually insightful sometimes, but most of the time it's just too repetitive and pointless. I enjoyed being in its world for a short time, but eventually it grates on you. Good for viewing once when it's late at night and your mind is open to getting lost in the free-flowing absurdity of everything.
May 3, 2016
Trippindicular, although eventually that starts to get bothersome.
½ May 2, 2016
if not purely to see Johnny Deppswattingat imaginary bats and imagining the carpet is evil.
April 4, 2016
One of Depp's top performances. Too hilarious.
April 3, 2016
For as old as it is, the visuals are surprisingly stunning, Johnny Depp and Benico Del Toro are both odd and funny in this acid trip of a movie. Cameos by Toby Maguire and Gary Busey are downright hilarious, but the plot is a incoherent mess. I suppose that's appropriate, considering the state the two leads are in for most of the film though. Hard to follow but undeniably funny and odd in a good way, Fear and Loathing is a good time watching.
½ March 31, 2016
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas centers around the life of controversial journalist Raoul Duke based on Hunter S. Thompson and his lawyer Dr. Gonzo. The plot tells the tale of Duke as he balances journalism with a problematic drug benge through California on his way to an anti-drug conference in Las Vegas. The film's main conflict surrounds our main character's inabilities to stay off highly potent drugs such as LSD and mescaline just to name a few. Covering news seems to be an afterthought throughout as the film focuses on their outlandish interactions with the people of Las Vegas, strangers and freaks alike. The allusion to the 70s is widely seen through the use of psychedelic drugs that have them imagining some of the most ridiculous and deplorable things. However, it is hard to care much about their characters because there is little to no character development in favor of trippy escapades. The film could be explored under the archetype of the journey as the main characters are on a mission to interact with sin city and often get lost and distracted from their main quest to report news but eventually find themselves in intriguing ways. However, there does not seem to be much rhyme or reason for the activities in the film, Duke and Gonzo are ranging addicts who are incessantly counting down the minutes until they can inject their next fix of highly potent drugs. As I watched the film I found it hard to care about how it would be resolved but rather when it would end as it took over-the-top filmmaking to a new level. The soundtrack and environment gave it a vintage 1970s vibe but Duke and Gonzo were nauseating to watch and were paper thin characters. It seems that the moral/social commentary of the film had something to do with the demonization of drug culture and a critique on the war on drugs as a highly problematic campaign. The central thread of the film was elementary at best and the editing and cinematography may have been the lone positives in a debauchery filled and aimlessly centered flick. While watching it I had to ask myself whether Depp was displaying good acting or was actually under the influence. I would be placed this film in the category of one of the worst films I have watched and I think it fails in telling an interesting story because of confusing pacing and an over-dramatization of the period and the individuals involved.
½ March 20, 2016
Just drug fueled fun and mayhem. Love this gonzo film and I feel that the lack of plot is actually part of the story. Its about two drugged out friends who are on a trip to cover a motorcycle race in the early 70's Vegas. Considering the state of the two main characters throughout the movie it doesn't really shock anyone that there is no purpose or goal in general. Basically to just continue the bender and survive without being placed in jail. The real genius of this flick is trying to follow the two's tale while seeing sights through their delusional minds mixed in with the actual state of things. Maybe my favorite of Depps flicks, other than the 9th gate.
March 14, 2016
Absolute stupid trash. The "coolness" of taking drugs by Johnny Depp comes across as very immature and uncool. If this is supposed to be autobiographical of Hunter Thompson, it only indicates how much of a loser he was.
March 11, 2016
A surrealist portrait, characters lost and visually innovative, a ride to a psychdelic, coloful and Las Vegas from Hunter S. Thompson. Fear and Loathing is great. Fresh.
½ March 5, 2016
Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Monty Python's Life of Brian - brazil - twelve monkeys - lost in la mancha - The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus -
½ February 21, 2016
The creator of Monty Python took another fun, but not so funny route with this one. The drugged up stupor drags on a little too long at times. Johnny Depp is no Jack Sparrow here.
½ February 21, 2016
The first hour is such madcap fun performed which such conviction and with inventive imagery that it's easy to forgive its lack of narrative, if it's directionless, so what? It's a drug trip on screen. By the second hour, however, things start wear thin and there's a massive come down in entertainment and interest.