Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Reviews

May 20, 2017
There's never a dull moment in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." It's weird and confusing, and it's exausting to the point where I just became too tired to laugh, despite the fact I thought it was funny. But that's probably a good thing. It's also a very uncomfortable film, but that ended up adding to my enjoyment.

It feels like everyone involved gave 1000%, and Depp, Del Toro and Gilliam quite obviously didn't even consider restraining themselves from being fully insane. It's clear that a lot of effort was put into making it as strange as it could be, and that alone makes it hard for me to believe anyone could score this negatively. It wasn't lazily made, and then weird because of how lazy it is. It was carefully crafted to be this weird.

I'm gonna be thinking about this one for a long time. I'll also probably have some nightmares.
April 27, 2017
Kind of overrated but its a cool film
April 16, 2017
This has to be one of the most confusing films I have ever tried to give a rating. Unlike a film such as Primer or Inception which were complex but easily able to be seen as brilliant films this was simple in premise but I still can't decide whether this is a work of genius or terrible as far as plot is concerned. This can be down to the lack of considerable plot present in the film and the constant twisting and turning in the direction which the film actually takes. However, I can see the complexity in making a film like this into one with a definite plot as Duke is an unreliable narrator with the film being a culmination of his writing and work. Therefore, with him being drugged up throughout the film I believe it to be a form of Gonzo journalism which Hunter S Thompson was known for writing and so see the film as semi-autobiographical. Although the plot is one which I, through multiple viewings, still don't fully understand and so naturally would put the film in the middle regarding ratings, from the art style and humour of the film being constantly dark and busy with an interesting effect happening in every single scene I have to regard this film as more positive than negative. In my opinion this is a film any film lover should watch as it is interesting and not a pointless film as well as being different from any other film I have ever seen and in that sense is completely unique. Therefore, to conclude, with the acting being brilliant as well as the style of the film being definitively interesting I think anyone should watch this. I personally have to keep watching it for some reason even unknown to me.
April 7, 2017
This is not as brutal as the book, but still pretty awsome to watch Depp and Del Toro high as hell doing the most craziest things ever. Del Toro gives us all a class of acting turning himself in the "bada**" attorney. Gilliam shows his directing skills but not so much writing. Its a hell of a show.
March 20, 2017
Wonderfully warped comedy. Probably Gilliam's most easy to watch film.
½ March 9, 2017
Gave this a re-watch recently to get the big fat Criterion DVD off the To-Watch Pile.

This is definitely one of my favorite films from the '90s, something that I find I can pop in at any time, or God forbid I catch part of it on cable, because I'm gonna have to watch the rest of the film to its conclusion, regardless of what other plans I might've had.

Highly recommended.
February 17, 2017
One of my favorite movies
February 8, 2017
Interesting and trippy little film loosely based on Hunter S Thompson.
½ February 4, 2017
Great film, highly entertaining throughout. Sorry RT, it may not have ticked all the boxes for reputable critics such as yourselves, but I found it very entertaining.
January 17, 2017
Epic Odyssey into the mind substance enhanced writer
½ January 17, 2017
Just never got this. Had a bunch of friends who did. Did lol at parts.
January 13, 2017
I LOVE this movie. But I love drugs, and Hunter S Thompson.
January 7, 2017
The movie is entertaining of course and it's a great pleasure to watch such wonderful actors as Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro perform at the top level. But the movie is too indulgent in its depiction of whatever it tries to depict, and the roles they acted are too easy to act for such great actors as mentioned above.
December 28, 2016
We all know that commercial with the egg and the frying pan... This is your brain... This is your brain on drugs, any questions? Depp and Del Toro put on an excellent performance depicting how the brain CAN be effected by drugs... Ranging from mild paranoia to full blown brutal hallucinnations. Part hilarious, part scary what drugs are actually capable of, altogether makes a for an entertaining piece to say the least.
December 20, 2016
A Hilarious movie that is as genius as it is weird.
November 6, 2016
Surreal. Terry Gilliam style. Watching Johnny Depp on drugs during the entire length of the movie.
½ October 9, 2016
No real plot, just one long drug haze, but some memorable moments come out of it.
September 25, 2016
A retrospective of early 1970's drug culture in North America in the most stylish way possible.
September 18, 2016
Questo film ha molti difetti ma sicuramente non gli manca l'originalitÓ.
Tra i difetti principali noto una trama troppo appiattita sugli effetti delle droghe (ovviamente sono il fulcro del racconto, ma qualcosa in pi¨ si poteva mettere nel film oltre alle due frasi finali).
L'altro difetto Ŕ la regia, che prova a ridare l'effetto psichedelico ma che spesso cade nel comico e sembra che tutto il film sia una grande burla (anche qui si discosta la scena finale).
Un film comunque da vedere.
September 2, 2016
I've read the book, and it was good, but am I really the only one who just says "meh" at this movie