First Love (Hatsukoi) Reviews

• Apr 17, 2021

As usual for Takashi Miike (The Bird People in China, Gozu) it's violent, darkly funny and a lot of fun

• Jan 10, 2021

The pacing of the movie, the acting, the cast, the storyline are awesome! Strongly recommended to Action packed lovers and also anime fans, yeah Trust me there, while watching it you'll think of my review. Enjoy!

• Nov 29, 2020

Straightforward Yakuza yarn with some nice twists by Miike. interesting characters and some funny and original moments. Fans of Takashi Miike or the genre will enjoy it enough.

• Sep 01, 2020

Pretty good entertaining movie. I've been pushing this movie off for 2 years now and the wait is over and man I'm glad I didn't want ten years to watch this movie because I would've been disappointed.

• Aug 20, 2020

There are plenty of layers to 'First Love', a Takashi Miike film that is bonkers. While there are a couple mysterious choices this is a crime drama that has all the elements. It starts slowly and let me give you some advice since I haven't said this in a while: 'Don't watch the trailer!' I heard from people that the trailer includes a lot of scenes from the third act, which is why I never watch trailers. Miike is able to film scenes that are ordinary and make them extraordinary. This is a fantastic feature that isn't for the faint of heart but it's a genre-bending thriller that is terrific. Final Score: 8.3/10

• Jul 10, 2020

The production is fine. It has that polished "look" despite a few camera angles that weren't ideal. But whatever, my real issue with this is just how mainstream and tame it is. It's a morally-correct, damsel-in-distress movie with a few "teehee" moments and maybe slightly higher violence than some other action movies. I didn't care about the characters. I didn't care about the plot. I didn't care about the ending. If you had a stressful day at work and want to ease your mind with a wholesome, modern story of justice and the occasional decapitation then maybe this is your movie. If you want something weird, stylish, controversial, thought-provoking, challenging, or interesting at all, then I can't recommend this.

• Jul 05, 2020

First Love is the type of movie that I was rooting for 2019. I love the direction of Takashi Miike, the performances of Sakurako Konishi, Masataka Kubota, Shota Sometani and Nao Omori, the action sequences, the comedic tone, the story and the one animated scene near the end. I see nothing wrong with this movie because it brought me emotion, laughs and action. Overall, First Love brought home the goods right on time.

• Mar 31, 2020

I really love this movie filled with entertainment from start to end every frame is beautiful even you don't the language you will enjoy it

• Mar 28, 2020

Pretty good entertaining movie. I’ve been pushing this movie off for 2 years now and the wait is over and man I’m glad I didn’t want ten years to watch this movie because I would’ve been disappointed.

• Mar 07, 2020