Four Weddings and a Funeral - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Four Weddings and a Funeral Reviews

½ October 20, 2016
Charming movie and Hugh Grant's performance is so intelligent and nuanced. One of the best 90s romantic comedy.
½ October 17, 2016
Over the years I've come across my fair share of strictly british films, like films which are not produced through an American studio. These types of british films have been very hard for me to follow due to some of the heavy handed dialogue, class system and just the different accents from England. I couldn't have been more happy to have come across Four Weddings and a funeral cause simply put the story and what you need to pay attention to is in the title. a solid comedy with a intriguing look on the idea of marriage.
a young hugh grant plays Charles an awkward man in his 30's who attends 4 weddings and a funeral with his longtime buddies. During these 5 events Charles meets an American woman named carrie who he is instantly smitten with. through his pursuit of her love and these events Charles ponders what the idea of marriage truly means.
This was funny. It was also really relatable too. the plot was pretty damn good I enjoyed the writing in it. It explores in humorous fashion the ideas of love during marriage and when someone is a crucial mid point in their life and needs to over come what ever is holding you back from finding someone special. In somecases that thing holding you back can be yourself
hugh grant was terrific here. He is a pretty relatable character and he goes through quite an arc in the midst of these 4 weddings and funeral. He also was quite funny too. impressive work here from andie mcdowell. I have only seen her in one film and she didn't impress me much but here she did well in playing this woman who helps Charlie overcome everything that his hindered his chances of getting married and finding true love. Every single scene roman Atkinson was in he had me dying he was the funniest one of the whole film. I expected nothing less from mr. bean
good directing. superb editing job. very simple and well done as we got to each wedding and progression of the story. ending was a bit predictable but it all came together so its all good.
September 25, 2016
Why is this deemed a classic? It's awful. Maybe it just aged badly but man this is poor.
½ August 16, 2016
8/15/2016: An ok film at best. A good cast and a good story, but not many laughs for a "comedy".
August 15, 2016
What a strange movie, the entire vibe is so limp and forced and that's not just Andie McDowell's deliveries. That said, by the end you can't help but appreciate the intense focus on the banalities of weddings, the variety of intensely normal people with no stereotyping focus on what makes them 'different,' and the frank discussions of when people marry and why. Hugh Grant at his peak looks-wise doesn't hurt either.
August 14, 2016
Es divertida, el nombre me pareció muy curioso, con forme pasó el tiempo fui tratando de descifrar de quien iba a ser cada boda y el funeral, eso hace que uno le ponga más atención a la película. Las actuaciones fueron buenas pero a veces una que otra algo exagerada.
½ August 11, 2016
while hugh grant is charming, it's a stupid, worthless, daft movie.
½ July 15, 2016
Wedding clearly isn't for everyone. The plot made this movie, the movie that it is. I loved the English comedy in it, and I loved the whole idea of the plot. The story is basically brought to us through the events of four weddings and a funeral and I find this extremely refreshing and unique. Most of the twists though were no twists but I had I good time watching this. There is something in the central romance that didn't work out, but at the end of the story this is what this movie was all about. Not the typical kind of romance where a happy ending equals a marriage ceremony and a delighted couple.
June 5, 2016
One of my all time favourites.I can watch it over and over.
June 5, 2016
We see the lives of a group of friends, largely through scenes at four
weddings and a funeral. In this group is Charles who has a unhappy past
with relationships. Then he meets an American woman, Carrie, at one of
the weddings and it seems like his luck has changed. However, things
are not so simple. As with almost everyone in his group of friends, it
appears that the Right One is out there but never available.

Wonderfully funny, warm and emotional - the perfect romantic-comedy.
Written by Richard Curtis, of Blackadder fame, and directed by Mike
Newell, this movie works on so many levels. As a comedy it is superb -
very funny and intelligently so. Then there's the friends aspect, which
creates a great warmth and engagement and a feeling of camaraderie.
Characters have depth and complement each other well.

Lastly, it works very well as a romantic drama too. Not your usual
schmaltzy, formulaic romance but an intelligent examination of the
subject.

Hugh Grant is great as Charles. The role pretty much locked in his
character in future roles - the shy, hesitant, stammering yet charming
type. He has played that in about every role since.

The group of friends are well cast and give spot-on performances: John
Hannah (as Matthew), James Fleet (Tom). Kristen Scott Thomas (Fiona),
Simon Callow (Gareth) and Charlotte Coleman (Scarlett).

Rowan Atkinson has a minor part but is responsible for possibly the
funniest scene in the movie.

The only negative thing about the movie is the performance of
Andie McDowell (as Carrie). Not terrible, just a flat, aloof delivery
and thus quite unengaging. This is made more obvious by the fact that
the other characters exude such warmth and vibrancy, making her seem
quite cold. She doesn't wreck the movie but it would have been even
better with a better actress in that role.
April 3, 2016
Four Weddings and a Funeral is a funny and light romantic comedy that benefits from a lovely script and charming performances from Hugh Grant and Andie MacDowell.
½ April 2, 2016
I watched this over three nights .. but still a good movie .. the meetings matches my life somehow.. and I love Hue Grant anyways .. loved the second wedding love scene
March 22, 2016
Classic tail mixed in with a funny little twist written by the King of British comedy Mr Richard Curtis as he officially kicks off his film Hatrick and the first to join Hugh Grant aswell, Hugh Grant plays the guy who is always a best men but never the groom, but when he finds love he considers if being the groom will be so bad, in the end it takes 4 weddings and a funeral ( a funeral with a impovering speech) to deside what he wants with this no lay about American Girlie.
Joined with Hugh Grant is Andie McDowell (probobly the most annoying character ever) and a whole bunch of other cast to support Hugh in his time in need such as Richard Curtis's regular actor Rowan Atkinson.
Full of Charm, romance, comedy and all round Britishness. There is no film like it, well apart from all his other film,
It's official Mr Curtis makes the best romcoms ever put to the test and his one to start of his career was gold dust kinda
½ February 3, 2016
Portrait of an amiable uncommitted bachelor with too many former or potential girlfriends chasing him. in this milieu, his prominent traits of pickiness and fickleness, reach their zenith at the movies' end, in his self-serving action of rejecting and leaving his fianc at the absolutely awful final moment, in order to free himself to embrace another - with whom he is suddenly absolutely smitten. Lots of sexual themes and jokes, as is rather typical in modern rom-coms. Overall, quite entertaining, well written, with smart dialogues, likeable characters, and with no flaw to the acting.
½ January 18, 2016
OK, it is not fair to write a review after seeing just 10 minutes of a film. So I decided to give it a second try, and to finish it.
I confirm my opinion: it is unbearable stupid. I understand, it does not want to be very deep, it is just a romantic comedy. The romantic part is really silly, and, just from the first appearance of Carrie, it is immediately understood the happy ending. About the comedy ... well, a comedy should be fun, should make me lough. Not at all. I smiled - not laughed - and very lightly, exactly twice.
Overall, the movie is boring, really boring: Lost in Translation is still unsurpassed, but this is a good competitor.
Hugh Grant is not only probably the worst actor ever, he is so unpleasant and disagreeable that, every time his face appears on the screen, I feel I wish to slap.
½ December 28, 2015
I don't get the hype. It wasn't that realistic. Who falls in love so quickly with someone they've only met (slept with) twice? Everything else about the movie was great. The main loveline? Terrible.
½ December 28, 2015
This movie did not age well at all. The characters may have been relatable back in the early 90s but they are just terrible now. You don't want to care about them at all, especially the main female character. I would advise against wasting your time with this.
½ December 28, 2015
Four Weddings And A Funeral is insufferably cheesy, worsened by annoying performances and a lack of emotional drama.
½ November 29, 2015
HUGE GRANTS. I miss Andie MacDowell, our generation needs an Andi MacDowell.
August 23, 2015
This was a pretty good movie. it didn't stand out as anything special and memorable for me in terms of a romantic comedy. It was amusing and cute, but pretty ordinary.