Friday the 13th - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Friday the 13th Reviews

November 19, 2016
A pretty well-done and fun slasher film. I was disappointed that Jason wasn't in it, but its not bad honestly, a classic defintely.
November 7, 2016
One of the most influential of all teen-friendly slasher films, Friday the 13th is a scary, exciting, gory and altogether classic campfire boogeyman story that delivers a heartfelt love letter to John Carpenter's Halloween while making a legendary name of its own.
November 4, 2016
The original that started it all in 1980, the original Friday the 13th that introduced the world of Jason Moores.

The simple story of a young boy who drowns at Camp Crystal Lake in 1957 & the year after 2 counsellors are murdered by a mysterious killer.

Jump to 1980 & the camp is starting up again & even seems fine until the killer returns but is it actually Jason? Quite inventive & an early film for Kevin Bacon.
½ October 31, 2016
Friday the 13th is a pretty cool 80s horror movie. I agree the film would have been better with Jason as the main killer but it still works without him. Given how many movies followed the original film, I liked the story in the first one. The kills are good and the movie, though not great, doesn't disappoint. 7/10 OR 3.5/5
½ October 29, 2016
It's just a horror movie classic that wasn't as good as I thought it would be. This movie has suspense and good scares but the plot is kinda weak. But other than that, this is a good horror flick worth watching in the Halloween season. B
½ October 26, 2016
141219: Having recently completed the first 5 Halloween movies, this film disappointed in comparison. Unlike Halloween, did not find myself drawn to any of the characters, either good or bad. Seems dated now but man, I remember being scared big time when I was younger. One aspect I found myself laughing at; the fact that Alice (Adrienne King) has Mrs. Voorhees (Betsy Palmer) down two times but does not finish her off. I'll have to continue with the series to get a firm opinion but time has not been good to Friday the 13th.
½ October 23, 2016
I don't get why this is a classic horror movie, the characters are dumb, stupid and boring. The only part that scared me was the one part at the end in the canoe, but other than that the movie isn't scary.
October 21, 2016
Out of all the horror slasher to be blatantly inspired by Hitchcock's Psycho, Friday the 13th felt the most uninhabited by an overall great story. Besides blood, guts, and sex, there isn't a whole lot here. For that, I had a hard time getting behind this film. Taking on the similar approach that most horror films take, Friday the 13th takes place at Camp Crystal Lake, a secluded kids camp in the middle of dark woods area. So it's kind of like Evil Dead, just with absolutely no likable or built out characters. Sure, "Jason" doesn't start taking people out until 30 minutes in or so, but there was never any effort to build any of the characters' depth through good writing. Every one of them simply wants to get laid on the campgrounds. That's poor storytelling. So when the brutal kills do happen, you don't really care. Granted, the last act reveals more about the characters than the entire rest of the film, but at that point it was too late for me. The surprises in the 3rd act are cool, but I can't get behind the stupidity of the majority of the characters.

4.6/10
October 19, 2016
Perfect Origin Story
½ October 15, 2016
Another iconic slasher film, friday the 13th is a typical horror film involving teenagers in a remote place and que the blood. This film seemed way ahead of its time with the extreme violence and unique twist. Friday the 13th is one of the stand out slashers films and is definitely up there as the best.
½ October 11, 2016
A good horror flick.
October 5, 2016
Very good movie. I like it more than Nightmare on Elm Street.
½ October 4, 2016
Nothing too spectacular here, just a run of the mill slasher film. I am amazed that this spawned so many sequels. That being said the final act was rather tense and one of the few times I was engaged in the film.
October 3, 2016
An early entry in the '80s blood-n-guts slasher boom, the first Friday checks a broad number of boxes: gratuitous amounts of gore, hormone-driven teen victims, secluded setting, mysteriously prophetic locals... even a quick flash of skin. In many ways, it's also a bridge from the clunkier horror flicks of the preceding decade. The effects are often laughable, the acting is paper-thin and the production values seem extremely cheap and dated. Very few of the characters are even remotely likeable, either, which makes their relentless slaughter into something of a spectator sport. Once it ditches the vague premonitions and hammy teenage dialog that flood the first act, the film settles into a nice groove: stalk, scare, chase, kill, repeat. The mainstream success of Jason as a horror icon even gives this first entry a little boost, misleading first-time viewers into a surprise reveal at the climax (and, of course, an infamous jump-scare just before the credits). From a critical perspective it's not good, but lasting influence and dogged determination carry it a long way.
August 21, 2016
a classic in my opinion... why did rotten tomatoes only give it a 58?
August 6, 2016
I love it, I love Friday.
July 24, 2016
A classic that I'm glad I finally got to watch. Groundbreaking for its time in helping to develop the slasher genre. Also unique in that the killer happened to be a woman.
July 14, 2016
This movie is Deffinetly not original the killer isn't intresting, and the plot just drags on. The only thing I like about this film is that it started a great horror series, and that is it.
July 12, 2016
Scary! But it barely has a plot :(
July 11, 2016
Friday the 13th has not aged well and has turned into a spoof of horror movie chiches but is still a fun slasher flick and the twist ending is fine!