Friday the 13th - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Friday the 13th Reviews

½ August 15, 2017
Note that this score is based on the other Friday the 13th films. None of them are by any means that good, but when compared to the others they can be.

For a Friday the 13th film, this is a 7.2/10 for me. For an actual movie, this would be a 5.2/10. My official ranking would be:

12. Jason X
11. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
10. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
9. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
8. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood
7. Freddy vs. Jason
6. Friday the 13th (2009)
5. Friday the 13th
4. Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter
3. Friday the 13th Part II
2. Friday the 13th Part III
1. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
August 8, 2017
Scary, campy (pun intended), bloody, well-directed, and intense (like camping), Friday the 13th isn't the best horror movie ever, but it is my personal favorite slasher movie of all time. It may only be Kevin Bacon's second movie, but he outperforms everyone else. The rest of the cast isn't bad, they're just less good. Overall, Friday the 13th succeeds as both a horror and slasher movie. There's a reason this movie spawned 9 sequels, a crossover with A Nightmare on Elm Street, and an underrated remake.
August 4, 2017
This of the original series is probably one of my least favorites but there is no denying the atmosphere of the camp itself the constant frame work putting you in the eye set of the killer and the mystery of who it could be was exciting you cannot deny this was a fun film for horror fans.
½ August 2, 2017
The only thing I am thankful for the first is the series to come after.
July 31, 2017
after watching this 1980 slasher flick people always has one of two opinions: or you love it or you hate it. but for me its actually just mediocre. well, the efects by Tom Savini are good and are one of the best things in the movie, the acting of Betsy Palmer and maybe, just maybe Adrianne King are ok, not for an oscar but ok, but the rest of the actors, including Kevin Bacon, give a really plain and wooden performance. the direction of Sean S. Cunningham its mediocre with most of the movie shot poorly but still has some nicely shot scenes, the script by Victor Miller is formulaic, full of cliches and sometimes boring with estereotipical characters that you could clearly see who's gonna die and who's going to survive and lines that none teenager is going to ever say, but still has some good scares (the ending for example). finally this movie doesn't deserve its place as "one of the best horror movies" and the trillion sequels it got, but it's a ok Halloween rip-off that doesn't capture the essence of great film they're ripping off that surprisingly holds up quite well. at lest its better than the sequels
July 28, 2017
Great movie that started an amazing franchise. But the plot is very basic.
July 26, 2017
It's just a horror movie classic that wasn't as good as I thought it would be. This movie has suspense and good scares but the plot is kinda weak. But other than that, this is a good horror flick worth watching in the Halloween season. B-
½ July 18, 2017
You know when you see the Kardashians, and you can't quite figure out why they're famous? This is the Kim K of movies. This has to be the worst movie I've ever seen in my life... the acting is atrocious, the kills are tacky, and the ending is idiotic. The serial killer is knocked over by a teenage girl more than 3 times, chasing here into various rooms, and being knocked on her ass every time. As soon as the killer is revealed, the whole movie because a steaming pile of disappointment... which ruins what the rest of the movie attempted to build up to... it's kind of like finding out your tinder date is actually a 40 year old man who faked his age and sex...
½ July 18, 2017
The only thing I am grateful for with this movie is the movies to come after.
½ July 11, 2017
A bit too predictable, but still entertaining and Savini's work makes it all the more better. A cult classic in anyone's eyes, whether you like it or not. Recommended.
½ July 8, 2017
(First and only viewing - 11/9/2011)
½ July 6, 2017
This is a pretty good horror movie, not great but pretty good. I'm not going to get into spoilers although it's an older movie that a lot of people have seen. All I'm going to say is the iconic hockey mask isn't in it. ????????????????????
½ July 3, 2017
Friday the 13th is considered one of the three main slasher titles, (the other two are Halloween and A Nightmare On Elm Street). Does Friday the 13th deserve to be ranked among these movies? Let's find out! Now in short words, I love Friday the 13th and it is a classic movie. The setting is the very memorable Camp Crystal Lake, an abandoned camp which is rumored to be "cursed", a young boy drowned in 1957, two young kids murdered in 58, and many fires and sabotage. When someone named Steve Christy attempts to reopen the camp two decades later, the camp counselors are murdered by an unknown assailant. If you are not into gory movies like these, don't watch them, but Tom Savini's special effects are excellently groundbreaking. The musical score by Harry Manfredini is incredible, the ki ki ki ma ma ma ma is known as a theme of danger, similar to Jaws. Now the characters feel like actual young kids here, and the atmosphere is very tense and isolated. All in all, despite being only on a $550,000 budget, Friday the 13th has grossed nearly $60 million and 11 more entries is proof of it's legacy.
½ July 2, 2017
Decent entry to the 1980s slasher franchise" although despite's the films slasher touch of tom savani's gore effects the film its self could have done a pinch better then what is see, but it does give you a decent plot that continues a well know slasher classic franchise, plus the actings not that bad.
June 27, 2017
Director, Sean S. Cunningham (Producer, The Last House on the Left, Director, Here Come the Tigers) directed this slick Halloween ripoff, which is an original piece on its own. This movie is a cult classic and is a fun watch. It is cheesy and dated, but that's all part of the fun. It's a great Friday night watch with some friends and some popcorn.
June 27, 2017
Dull and predictable, I had to force myself to finish it and still feel the time was wasted. No sympathetic characters, no exciting twists, no gripping motive, no interesting killer. Just blah.
June 25, 2017
It was ok but how do you make 11 sequel to it. It was fine bye itself
½ June 25, 2017
Friday the 13th delivers gory murders and jump-scares, but the appealing things about it are the murderer's chilling story and motives. A popular horror classic, Friday the 13th may not be the best of the genre, but true horror fans will find it enjoyable.
June 25, 2017
At times scary,but poorly acted and doesn't reach the heights it wants to, but still a somewhat entertaining film.
½ June 21, 2017
The original slasher 'B' movie. Amateur actors (except Bacon) and a low budget production. Slightly better overall story and directing by Cunningham compared to the next 2 Friday's. The 4th is my favorite, and after that I hated them.