Friday the 13th - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Friday the 13th Reviews

April 16, 2018
Friday the 13th is considered one of the three main slasher titles, (the other two are Halloween and A Nightmare On Elm Street). Does Friday the 13th deserve to be ranked among these movies? Let's find out! Now in short words, I love Friday the 13th and it is a classic movie. The setting is the very memorable Camp Crystal Lake, an abandoned camp which is rumored to be "cursed", a young boy drowned in 1957, two young kids murdered in 58, and many fires and sabotage. When someone named Steve Christy attempts to reopen the camp two decades later, the camp counselors are murdered by an unknown assailant. If you are not into gory movies like these, don't watch them, but Tom Savini's special effects are excellently groundbreaking. The musical score by Harry Manfredini is incredible, the ki ki ki ma ma ma ma is known as a theme of danger, similar to Jaws. Now the characters feel like actual young kids here, and the atmosphere is very tense and isolated. All in all, despite being only on a $550,000 budget, Friday the 13th has grossed nearly $60 million and 11 more entries is proof of it's legacy.
April 16, 2018
Even excellent choice for any horror fan!
April 14, 2018
There is something creepy about this movie that'll make every 13th on a friday unsafe and dangerous if your not careful enough in the woods or at camp. If you see a mother named Mrs. Vorhees, don't talk to her and run away! Or if you see a dead body rising out of a lake whose name is Jason, run and hide!
April 13, 2018
Scary, campy (pun intended), bloody, well-directed, and intense (like camping), Friday the 13th isn't the best horror movie ever, but it is one of my favorite slasher movies. It may only be Kevin Bacon's second movie, but he outperforms everyone else. The rest of the cast isn't bad, they're just less good. Overall, Friday the 13th succeeds in almost every way. There's a reason it spawned 9 sequels, including a crossover with A Nightmare on Elm Street, and a remake.
April 12, 2018
When it comes to the most popular horror franchises it's usually the original that's the undisputed classic, while the sequels are nothing but pale imitations. Well, Friday the 13th is that rare series that bucks the trend, as the original is far from the best in the series. It's essentially a ripoff of John Carpenter's Halloween and Mario Bava's A Bay of Blood. While those films were directed by brilliant filmmakers, Friday the 13th was directed by Sean S. Cunningham, a man who went on to do...nothing. With a lame script and a director who didn't know the meaning of suspense, why was the film so successful? Well, he can thank his cast, composer, location scouts and effects team for that. Without the likes of Betsy Palmer, Harry Manfredini and Tom Savini, I doubt Friday the 13th would've even made its budget back. Yes, the movie has an undeniably creepy atmosphere because it's essentially a murder mystery (sorry, no hockey masked Jason until Part 3). We have no clue who's doing the killing or why...until the last 20 minutes when Mrs. Voorhees shows up out of nowhere in one of the cheapest cop-out endings in horror history. Ok, I may be coming down a little hard on the movie, especially considering Friday the 13th is one of my favourite horror franchises, but it's frustrating to think how great the movie could've been with a better director. The young cast is likeable, the score is iconic, the isolated summer camp setting works incredibly well, and Tom Savini's gore effects were groundbreaking. Thankfully, it wouldn't be long before a group of far more talented filmmakers came along to improve the formula for countless sequels.
½ March 29, 2018
One of the most influential of all teen-friendly slasher films, Friday the 13th weaves a provocative blend of teenage nudity and frightful gore into a classic campfire boogeyman story that serves as a heartfelt love letter to John Carpenter's Halloween while making a legendary name of its own.
March 20, 2018
It doesn't have Jason but I still like it I think it's a good way to start a franchise
February 19, 2018
I Never Got Into The Friday The 13th Trilogy
½ February 12, 2018
This a very scary movie. Friday the 13th Part II is better. Friday the 13th Part III is also better Friday the 13th the final chapter is also better. Jason lives Friday the 13th Vi is also better. Friday the 13th VII the new blood is also better. Friday the 13th VIII Jason take Manhattan is also better. Jason goes to hell the final Friday is also better. Jason X is also better. Freddy vs Jason is also better. This movie has a great story. It also has great acting. It also has great special effects. Jason is a zombie so I consider this movie a fantasy horror.
February 2, 2018
Hard to believe that this movie is was started the franchise. Still, this is a classic and a must-watch during the month of October/Halloween. Forgot that Kevin Bacon was in this. Would not re-watch 10.10.17
January 28, 2018
While it's not the first slasher film, It influenced the sub genre to spawn hundreds of it's kind. Friday the 13th was great in terms of kills and practical effects. But suffers from a lack of character development. It's a horror mystery with a big twist a the end.
½ January 23, 2018
my first time watching any of the friday the 13th movies and it had terrible acting, terrible writing, terrible dialogue, unnecessary scenes that are just wasted time in the movie, its just straight up awful to the point where i was consistently laughing at its quality.
January 23, 2018
Classic exploitation silliness. It's dumb, goofy fun.
January 12, 2018
Pretty fun if you ask me
½ January 8, 2018
A smart and tense 'who-done-it' thriller, with an enjoyable series of twists.
½ January 1, 2018
(First and only viewing - 11/9/2011)
December 31, 2017
A good slasher flick with the killer only shown from the first person until the end.
December 20, 2017
A really great start to a great Horror franchise. The twist is fantastic!!!!!!!
½ November 24, 2017
Decent killings, generic characters, good background music, unexpected end, but plot and pretty stupid decisions, even so I love this movie no matter that Jason is not the main killer.
November 10, 2017
in my opinion this is the best in the series! the characters are likable and the story is just a big classic horror cliche! a bunch of teenagers goes to a place were they get murdered one by one. the special effects are amazing!
The final chase scene is amazing! and its even scary at times! this is a good example of a really good slasher film!