Friday the 13th - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Friday the 13th Reviews

January 17, 2017
The cheesy thrills are just easy but its iconic violent kills are here! Friday The 13th is a great movie for people are easily scared to get a few scares in this 1980 movie. The film also boosts actors like Kevin Bacon, Betsy Palmer and Sean S. Cunningham to be classic actors/director. The film wasn't great at the box office, but it surpassed its budget of $700,000 to nearly $60 million. Sadly the film was not well received (and kinda isn't on the tomato meter.) To top it all off it has what you expect from a slasher or horror movie with its cliches that make the film good. Such cliches are the cabin in the woods,characteristics,character acts,kills,cheesiness,knifes,axes you name it. It has it all and opened it to other slashers to this day. 4 stars 82%
January 15, 2017
Yes This Movie was Scary Good And Yeah I Loved It Plus It is The 1st Friday the 13th Movie!
½ January 12, 2017
A classic horror film and a must-see for any fan of the genre!
January 12, 2017
A great horror/slasher film, though, not the best. Wish that the color of it wasn't so damn dark! I know that it's based on suspense, but c'mon, you can hardly see a thing!
January 8, 2017
Cool scary with the violence not the suspense but one good jump scare at the end of the movie starring some random kids that signed up to help camp crystal. The beginning 45 minutes of this movie was garbage but when people started to die and when the real reason you would watch this movie in the first place is Jason or his mother, who knows, it could be both who killed the people who worked at camp crystal as revenge of Jason Voorhees dying by drowning because of the dumb kids who worked their and didn't help him out and just let the poor kid die. I would be furious as a parent too if my child died at a camp and nobody did anything about it even though they had people working their and their job is to keep the kids safe. I don't blame Jason's mom for killing those people working their, but it's not these new kids faults that they killed Jason, the old people killed Jason , so it's a little dumb that she hates the camp as a whole, she should only hate the people working their long time ago, not now. I like that concept of how Jason Voorhees s mom is dealing with her son dead and trying to get revenge, it's a good horror plot and Jason's background. The movie wasn't a success in my eye it was Jason Voorhees who was a success as a character and that's why he is one of the most iconic horror figures of all time, his story and how he got to where he is today. Yea the movie sucked but Jason Voorhees and his memorableness made the movie iconic.
January 8, 2017
slow and kinda boring, and the twist wasn't really a twist
½ December 29, 2016
This film wants us to feel sympathetic for the killer and her dead son with a whole lot of gore embarrassing movie in total
November 19, 2016
A pretty well-done and fun slasher film. I was disappointed that Jason wasn't in it, but its not bad honestly, a classic defintely.
November 7, 2016
One of the most influential of all teen-friendly slasher films, Friday the 13th is a scary, exciting, gory and altogether classic campfire boogeyman story that delivers a heartfelt love letter to John Carpenter's Halloween while making a legendary name of its own.
November 4, 2016
The original that started it all in 1980, the original Friday the 13th that introduced the world of Jason Moores.

The simple story of a young boy who drowns at Camp Crystal Lake in 1957 & the year after 2 counsellors are murdered by a mysterious killer.

Jump to 1980 & the camp is starting up again & even seems fine until the killer returns but is it actually Jason? Quite inventive & an early film for Kevin Bacon.
½ October 31, 2016
Friday the 13th is a pretty cool 80s horror movie. I agree the film would have been better with Jason as the main killer but it still works without him. Given how many movies followed the original film, I liked the story in the first one. The kills are good and the movie, though not great, doesn't disappoint. 7/10 OR 3.5/5
½ October 29, 2016
It's just a horror movie classic that wasn't as good as I thought it would be. This movie has suspense and good scares but the plot is kinda weak. But other than that, this is a good horror flick worth watching in the Halloween season. B
½ October 26, 2016
141219: Having recently completed the first 5 Halloween movies, this film disappointed in comparison. Unlike Halloween, did not find myself drawn to any of the characters, either good or bad. Seems dated now but man, I remember being scared big time when I was younger. One aspect I found myself laughing at; the fact that Alice (Adrienne King) has Mrs. Voorhees (Betsy Palmer) down two times but does not finish her off. I'll have to continue with the series to get a firm opinion but time has not been good to Friday the 13th.
½ October 23, 2016
I don't get why this is a classic horror movie, the characters are dumb, stupid and boring. The only part that scared me was the one part at the end in the canoe, but other than that the movie isn't scary.
October 21, 2016
Out of all the horror slasher to be blatantly inspired by Hitchcock's Psycho, Friday the 13th felt the most uninhabited by an overall great story. Besides blood, guts, and sex, there isn't a whole lot here. For that, I had a hard time getting behind this film. Taking on the similar approach that most horror films take, Friday the 13th takes place at Camp Crystal Lake, a secluded kids camp in the middle of dark woods area. So it's kind of like Evil Dead, just with absolutely no likable or built out characters. Sure, "Jason" doesn't start taking people out until 30 minutes in or so, but there was never any effort to build any of the characters' depth through good writing. Every one of them simply wants to get laid on the campgrounds. That's poor storytelling. So when the brutal kills do happen, you don't really care. Granted, the last act reveals more about the characters than the entire rest of the film, but at that point it was too late for me. The surprises in the 3rd act are cool, but I can't get behind the stupidity of the majority of the characters.

4.6/10
October 19, 2016
Perfect Origin Story
½ October 15, 2016
Another iconic slasher film, friday the 13th is a typical horror film involving teenagers in a remote place and que the blood. This film seemed way ahead of its time with the extreme violence and unique twist. Friday the 13th is one of the stand out slashers films and is definitely up there as the best.
½ October 11, 2016
A good horror flick.
October 5, 2016
Very good movie. I like it more than Nightmare on Elm Street.
½ October 4, 2016
Nothing too spectacular here, just a run of the mill slasher film. I am amazed that this spawned so many sequels. That being said the final act was rather tense and one of the few times I was engaged in the film.