Friday the 13th - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Friday the 13th Reviews

April 7, 2017
It's just a horror movie classic that wasn't as good as I thought it would be. This movie has suspense and good scares but the plot is kinda weak. But other than that, this is a good horror flick worth watching in the Halloween season. B+
March 31, 2017
The original Friday The 13TH, even though it's considered a classic now, still gets a bit of a bad rap today. But it's legion of dedicated fans will argue otherwise. It works. It was a little movie that accomplished what it set out to do tenfold. It of course comes from the same mold as Halloween, deliberately, but succeeds in several areas that people felt Halloween came up short on. It was so effective it scared any kid from ever wanting to go to a summer camp again. Not surprising that attendance at summer camps during this era were dropping. The star of this movie isn't Betsy Palmer or an up and coming Kevin Bacon, it's horror effects master Tom Savini. His gruesome makeup effects set the bar for everything to follow. Kevin Bacon's demise still makes me cringe. And finally, let's not forget that this is the film that spawned the most successful horror franchise of all time. There's something about the absence of the brute with the hockey mask, Jason Vorhees, in this film that sets it above the rest. If it's been a good while since you last saw it I recommend picking up the remastered blu ray. In HD audio Harry Manfredini's chilling score has never been heard like this before. And the transfer is better than anything I could ever have hoped for. Rewatch this classic slasher film.
March 31, 2017
This classic that helped start a new sub genre. I do like Black Christmas and Texas Chainsaw massacre more but Friday the 13th has its moments.
March 28, 2017
Scary, campy (pun intended), bloody, well-directed, and intense (like camping), Friday the 13th isn't the best horror movie ever, but it is my personal favorite slasher movie of all time. It may only be Kevin Bacon's second movie, but he outperforms everyone else. The rest of the cast isn't bad, they're just less good. Overall, Friday the 13th succeeds a both horror and slasher movie. There's a reason this movie spawned 9 sequels, a crossover with A Nightmare on Elm Street, and a remake.
March 18, 2017
One of the most influential of all teen-friendly slasher films, Friday the 13th weaves a provocative blend of teenage nudity and frightful gore into a classic campfire boogeyman story that serves as a heartfelt love letter to John Carpenter's Halloween while making a legendary name of its own.
March 9, 2017
A well-made barebones slasher in every sense; Friday the 13th may not be the genre's best, but it did set the standard for campy horror flicks. It was one of the first of many Halloween knock offs, and much like Halloween, it boasts a memorable score. "Ki-ki-ki, ma-ma-ma"
February 5, 2017
it's a horror classic but just very cheesy
January 29, 2017
The first installment in a great slasher series. Blood guts and gore. Who could forget the famous reveal at the end when Betsy Palmer is revealed to be the killer!
½ January 26, 2017
Friday the 13th Review: Ok, this movie was inspiring; it taught me that if you have crappy camera work, hokey acting, dumb lines, and a horrible villain, your film can still be entertaining. Friday the 13th is about a bunch of young, hip, hormone-filled teens, who are dumb, say dumb stuff, and do dumb things. They go up to this remote-ass lake camp, and get killed one-by-one for having sex, being goofy, stupid, etc. Look, the point I'm getting at here is this movie came out 1 year after John Carpenter's Halloween, and we all know that it changed the game as far as, well, everything goes for horror movies. This movie was the first successful rip-off. The story is a typical survival story, but with a pretty awesome setting for one. The set design is cool, the music, while overstated at times, is effective, the camera work is occasionally clever, but there are some REALLY amateur moments involving zooms or tracking. The characters all have some wit spread through the runtime, but a problem with that is that they killed off the best character in the movie first: Ned. He had it all: stellar comedic acting, timing, writing, interaction, realism, etc. and his death wasn't even on screen. But that's ok, because we get long takes of Kevin Bacon and this chick having sex (until they die, laughably) and the least fleshed out, least interesting, worst acted character becomes the hero by the end. Now, I did enjoy this movie. There was a VERY clever subplot near the beginning with a girl, built up to be the main character, who we already hate for various reasons, but is killed unexpectedly, to set up our killer, who they're targeting, and what they will be doing, as well as dispose of a character we were meant to hate. There are also some great examples of visual storytelling that work on multiple levels. Ok, now the thing I've wanted to talk about: The killer reveal. It is the dumbest thing ever written. No logic, no sense, no suspense, no talent. The reveal, the climax, the reasoning; none of it works. Overall, this film has a lot of writing, visuals, and dialogue of merit, but thee is a ton of lazy writing, weird camerawork, and hokey acting. I give Friday the 13th a 5/10.
January 24, 2017
Has got more visual flair than it gets credit for. Also, a good balance between summer sweetness and slasher madness gives it a good progression. The characters, at this point, are rather distinct and has a minimum of flavor. It's hard to say it's brilliant but somehow manages to have the iconic feel running through it
January 17, 2017
The cheesy thrills are just easy but its iconic violent kills are here! Friday The 13th is a great movie for people are easily scared to get a few scares in this 1980 movie. The film also boosts actors like Kevin Bacon, Betsy Palmer and Sean S. Cunningham to be classic actors/director. The film wasn't great at the box office, but it surpassed its budget of $700,000 to nearly $60 million. Sadly the film was not well received (and kinda isn't on the tomato meter.) To top it all off it has what you expect from a slasher or horror movie with its cliches that make the film good. Such cliches are the cabin in the woods,characteristics,character acts,kills,cheesiness,knifes,axes you name it. It has it all and opened it to other slashers to this day. 4 stars 82%
January 15, 2017
Yes This Movie was Scary Good And Yeah I Loved It Plus It is The 1st Friday the 13th Movie!
½ January 12, 2017
A classic horror film and a must-see for any fan of the genre!
January 12, 2017
A great horror/slasher film, though, not the best. Wish that the color of it wasn't so damn dark! I know that it's based on suspense, but c'mon, you can hardly see a thing!
January 8, 2017
Cool scary with the violence not the suspense but one good jump scare at the end of the movie starring some random kids that signed up to help camp crystal. The beginning 45 minutes of this movie was garbage but when people started to die and when the real reason you would watch this movie in the first place is Jason or his mother, who knows, it could be both who killed the people who worked at camp crystal as revenge of Jason Voorhees dying by drowning because of the dumb kids who worked their and didn't help him out and just let the poor kid die. I would be furious as a parent too if my child died at a camp and nobody did anything about it even though they had people working their and their job is to keep the kids safe. I don't blame Jason's mom for killing those people working their, but it's not these new kids faults that they killed Jason, the old people killed Jason , so it's a little dumb that she hates the camp as a whole, she should only hate the people working their long time ago, not now. I like that concept of how Jason Voorhees s mom is dealing with her son dead and trying to get revenge, it's a good horror plot and Jason's background. The movie wasn't a success in my eye it was Jason Voorhees who was a success as a character and that's why he is one of the most iconic horror figures of all time, his story and how he got to where he is today. Yea the movie sucked but Jason Voorhees and his memorableness made the movie iconic.
January 8, 2017
slow and kinda boring, and the twist wasn't really a twist
½ December 29, 2016
This film wants us to feel sympathetic for the killer and her dead son with a whole lot of gore embarrassing movie in total
November 19, 2016
A pretty well-done and fun slasher film. I was disappointed that Jason wasn't in it, but its not bad honestly, a classic defintely.
November 4, 2016
The original that started it all in 1980, the original Friday the 13th that introduced the world of Jason Moores.

The simple story of a young boy who drowns at Camp Crystal Lake in 1957 & the year after 2 counsellors are murdered by a mysterious killer.

Jump to 1980 & the camp is starting up again & even seems fine until the killer returns but is it actually Jason? Quite inventive & an early film for Kevin Bacon.
½ October 31, 2016
Friday the 13th is a pretty cool 80s horror movie. I agree the film would have been better with Jason as the main killer but it still works without him. Given how many movies followed the original film, I liked the story in the first one. The kills are good and the movie, though not great, doesn't disappoint. 7/10 OR 3.5/5