Funeral in Berlin Reviews

• Aug 27, 2020

A very authentic and believable spy movie with all of the classic cold war characters. The constant double crossing and back stabbing among the players, with the back drop of double dealing among the global intelligence services, is action enough to maintain the pacing. Caine is fantastic, with just the right combination of street smarts, cocky attitude towards authority, and quick wit. Everything is clearly explained and set forth, if you are willing to pay attention.

• Jun 30, 2020

This movie is a lighthearted approach to the cold war spy genre that maintains a sense of humor through all the chicanery and multi-cross goings-on. It's competently made and a refreshing return to the cold war defector assistance plots that have become less relevant after 1989, but whose stories are still compelling in their own right. It's interesting enough to keep the audience's attention but it's also shallow enough to quickly become forgettable. Closest comparison: It's like Munich (2005) by way of The Italian Job (1969) Setting: Spy Plot: Thriller Tone: Dry Comedy

• Mar 15, 2020

A very good spy movie, highlighted by a magnificent Michael Caine, Oscar Homolka, the gritty ambiance of Berlin, and a twisting, intricate plot. Better pace, clarity and sequencing could have made this a masterpiece of the genre.

• Jan 03, 2020

It takes a while to get going. Terrence Young directs solidly, without the flair of Ipcress File director, Sidney J. Furie. I knew the ending would be mildly unsatisfactory, as is the case with several of Young's films. It does feel like a novel though, which is a good thing, if you adjust pacing. Caine is excellent and the cast is strong. The production also looks very good in the cleaned-up version on Amazon. Also, a strong feeling and style of mid-sixties Berlin. Very good, but not quite excellent. Recommended for lovers of the genre.

• Jun 19, 2018

Another fun entry in the Harry Palmer spy series. Twists, turns, intrigue and Michael Cane - what more could you want?

• May 26, 2018

A bit more muddled than Ipcress, or maybe that's just my way of saying I was distracted while watching this, and didn't always follow what was happening. I'm still very attracted to English movies of this period, and this one was perfectly diverting. Eva Renzi was absolutely stunning as well - first film of hers I've seen.

• Mar 08, 2017

The Ipcress File is one of my favourite films, so I had to naturally check out the sequels. Funeral in Berlin is a bleaker and simple spy thriller in which Harry Palmer must go to Berlin and get out a defecting Russian Colonel, along with some twists and other groups involved. Michael Caine is solid in the film, but its a very low key thriller that doesn't seem to play up the thrills when it can.

• Nov 25, 2016

Could have been worse.

Could have been worse.

• Nov 04, 2016

There is something about watching a cold war spy movie made at the time. The story is as implausible as a modern treatment but the little details are just so right. Michael Caine is top draw as Harry Palmer, Oscar Homolka is a very Kruschev-like Colonel Stok, and there is some eecellent location photography. I may be a minority of one but thought this movie was better than its predecessors.

• Dec 02, 2015