Funny Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Funny Girl Reviews

½ March 5, 2017
Streisand knocks it out of the park yet again as a female lead with depth.

Everything comes easy to her but love-them's the breaks when you're the funny girl. It's heartbreaking to watch as Fanny anticipates the downfall of her marriage even before its happened, a mixture of her own insecurity and some intuition she doesn't want to admit.

I didn't love any of the songs in this but at least they all helped to move the movie along- didn't feel like 3 hours. The ending felt a bit too neat though, I wish it had been more raw/true to life.
February 16, 2017
One of my all time favourite movies
January 30, 2017
viewed on 8/8/04 (Sun)

I was watching the trailer of MEET THE FOCKERS and I am very pleasantly delighted to see Barbra Streisand playing a comic role as Ben Stiller's Mum.

I told myself I would borrow THE WAY WE WERE whose theme song was used in the trailer too, to comical effect of course.

Alas, they were out so I made do with this one. Should not be a bad choice since she got an Oscar for this movie.

As I was watching Barbra making funny faces and sounds in the show, I just wondered how did she get away with all the act-cute antics and won the heart of many? Back then in her debut movie, she was already so confident in her performance, either as an actress or a songbird. She doesn't really have the leading lady looks. Her big nose and skinny legs. Also part of her self-depreciative jokes in the movie. However, her talents are sensational to watch.

I think Barbra also inspired Sarah Jessica Parker's performance in SATC. There are many similarities in their mannerisms.

I am not really a big fan of musicals and the story and songs in FUNNY GIRL do not hit me in a big way too. Still, it is a must-see for music fans of Barbra Streisand and I hope MEET THE FOCKERS can be a successful comeback movie for her... and sings the theme song? Nah...

Rating: B
June 14, 2016
This bio musical comedy, loosely based on a true story, enables Streisand to shine in the lead role. The first half is particularly fine, featuring some catchy songs, with many witty lines and funny scenes. The chemistry between the two leads here is also very good. Although the film does slow a bit towards the end, it is never boring, and is a film that can be watched and enjoyed over again. 1001
February 27, 2016
Entertaining.

The life of Fanny Brice, famed comedienne and entertainer of the early-1900s. We see her rise to fame as a Ziegfield girl, subsequent career and her personal life, particularly her relationship with Nick Arnstein.

Entertaining, especially the stage performance scenes. Barbara Streisand absolutely shines during these scenes. Funny, and with some impressive singing too. The remainder is reasonably good and engaging. Does get fairly schmaltzy at times though, and the mid-to-late section is quite dry as it concentrates on the Brice-Arnstein relationship.

As mentioned, Barbara Streisand is great during the live show scenes. She is fine during the other scenes too, especially as there are some musical numbers thrown in every now and again (it is a semi-musical). Streisand won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar in 1969 for her performance (shared with Katharine Hepburn for The Lion in Winter).

Good work too from Omar Sharif as Nick Arnstein.
½ February 24, 2016
Funny, sincere and entertaining.
½ January 18, 2016
I probably would have given this film 5 stars after seeing it when it first came out, but it has dated. It's far too long (I had to take an intermission break) and the production is for the most part uninspired and pedestrian ( due to Wyler's direction). But Streisand is loveable as Fanny, and magnificent - and Omar Sharif charming as Nicky. The amount of talent on and off-screen in putting this all together is stupendous, but when the songs virtually disappear after the intermission and the marriage story takes centre stage, it loses its musical purpose and drops away. Worth seeing for Babs' tour de force.
½ January 14, 2016
Such a memorable, fantastic performance from Barbara Streisand! The movie has a good, occasionally wonderful first half while the second half drowns in boring, dull melodrama. Streisand lets her star-light hangover this parade through-out!
½ December 7, 2015
The first half is a load of fun, particularly (and perhaps solely) because Streisand performs some of her most iconic songs. Truly, the songs carry the film, as the rather flimsy plot leaves quite a lot to be desired. Fanny Brice fans may be disappointed since this deals minimally with her career and focuses instead on her romance with Nick Arnstein (which is not the most riveting subject matter, I must say, nor is it the most interesting aspect of Miss Brice's life). I was hoping this would capture some of Brice's iconic (and hilarious) moments as her famous radio character, Baby Snooks, but sadly it didn't. Instead, we see her dressed up as Snooks for about thirty seconds, and the film doesn't explain anything about the character or its cultural significance at the time. If you're looking for an informative biography of Fanny Brice or a comprehensive understanding of her career, you'll have to look elsewhere. Still, as entertainment, this is a solid piece that will no doubt thrill fans of the movie musical, and Streisand here gives some of her best performances. It's a bit over-long, but it's worth the watch.
December 6, 2015
Big budget brilliance. Even if you dislike Barbara Streisand, see THIS one.
Hilarious, touching, memorable.
Streisand is a revelation here.
The bloated parts are forgivable bc Babs is that good here - her signature role reprised from the Broadway stage.

Give it a bit too start - after the orchestra opening and beyond the title sequence.
Your patience will be rewarded.

5 out of 5 people...who need people..
October 31, 2015
Still one of the best.
½ September 12, 2015
A masterpiece. I'm not even that crazy about Barbara Streisand, but I was absolutely enchanted by her in this movie, and have been belting out the songs for days. How soon is too soon for viewing #2?!?
½ August 31, 2015
What a debut!!! Streisand is spectacular in this and Omar Sharif is dazzlingly charming. A great combination of talents.
½ August 24, 2015
There are some great songs in this, and some good laughs, and some really fun scenes, but, man, the second act drags! This is a good movie that could have been a great one with a little more trimming.
½ July 2, 2015
A really fun musical with a delightful and charming performance from Barbra Streisand. I've never been a die hard fan of Streisand though I have liked her work but after seeing this and Hello Dolly a few weeks ago, I get the hype. Omar Sharif and Walter Pidgeon were also good and Anne Francis was great. The production design, art direction, costumes, sound, and adapted screenplay were all terrific as was William Wyler's direction and all the performances were mostly showstoppers. It did start to ramble on and slow down as Streisand and Sharif's relationship started to build but overall it was exciting and fun to watch
July 1, 2015
Epic freaking musical about a singing comedienne wedging her way into her big break. The beginning is a bit slow, and I tired of Fanny's repetitive self-deprecation about her lack of traditional beauty, but Barbra Streisand is sassy and ballsy, and my word, is Omar Sharif not the most dashing and earnest paramour? He says "I love you" so shyly yet tenderly! Nicky's love and admiration are so soaring, and that's what makes the main relationship conflict of Fanny outgrowing Nicky and the show-stopping number "My Man" all the more tragic in a mere mortals sort of way.
½ June 16, 2015
I really enjoyed the first half of this film. It had great music, great actors, a great story but when the music stopped i kind of felt the whole movie stop as well, and it got very long and the story stopped being interesting, but what saved it was Barbara Streisand's amazing performance that had me laughing at one point and nearly moved to tears. After about 40 minutes of disaster it picks back up for a strong finale. I thought it was funny the resemblance of Rachel from Glee to Fanny Brice which made me like her all the more. Overall this is a good classic film that i can't wait to put on my shelf along with West Side Story and My Fair Lady.
May 28, 2015
Despite a tight and coherent film score, good singing, and a pleasantly avuncular performance by Pidgeon, "Funny Girl" is a real snoozefest. The only thing you'll find funny about this film is that you can't get your ticket refunded after you fall asleep in the middle of it.
½ May 24, 2015
Highly entertaining and beautiful transition of a Broadway play to the screen. And, one would be hard pressed to think of a greater cinematic debut performance than the one given here by Streisand.