Gentlemen Broncos - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gentlemen Broncos Reviews

½ September 6, 2017
Pretty funny. A good, subdued plot with likable characters.
½ July 28, 2017
This movie is definitely odd, at some points obnoxiously so, I can see how some may find it confused. But beyond the snake poop jokes lies some very clever comedy, and a meaningful and gripping plot. This movie, as most Hess movies do, does a fantastic job juggling absurd humor with a story that could honesty make its own non-comedic drama.
July 8, 2017
"Gentleman Broncos" is a really good movie like this kid experiences a youth artist crisis about his story but like he just gives nonfux. he goes in and fux stuff up and is a good kid to his mother like they both protect eachother and a pretty healthy relationship. yo forreal this movie is not a dub so why is it like 19% doe. also furbis's story is really cool when you think about how he perceives his dad and what humor he projects onto his dad but the rest of his book is so not serious too. transgender slur joke was not cool tho but shocking enough that it was amusing.

the most impactful scene was throwing up in the garbage can and also when brutus and that girl buried the friendship stone,, because now inwant to do both of those things.

top critics fite me pls

-profesional critic, izzy am critique. under the official approval of tae uno
May 28, 2017
One of the most underrated movies of all time. My husband introduced me to this movie when we were dating and I knew I instantly wanted to marry a man who could bring a movie this hilarious and strange to me and know I would love it. Napoleon Dynamite is funny, Nacho Libre is hilarious, and Gentlemen Broncos is hysterical and amazing. I can't get enough of it.
½ March 23, 2017
As a fan of Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre, I was dissappointed with Gentlemen Broncos. It has its quirky, funny parts here and there, but overall it was just kinda blah. Jemaine Clement was pretty funny as Chevalier. I was excited that Sam Rockwell was in it but he didn't much of a role. This movie needed more clever dialogue and quicker paced laughes. Like if the main role were played by a Michael Cera type actor who would ramble thru his awkward nervousness. Now that would be good... Michael Cera in a Jared Hess movie.
February 17, 2017
Fantastically awkward
½ January 29, 2017
This movie is the "Plan 9 from Outer Space" of comedies, a film so bad you can't take your eyes off it, like some 20 car pileup on the highway.. Essentially it's a bad movie about a bad movie made from a bad novel with plenty of bad acting, bad dialogue and bad direction. Did I mention it was bad? You watch this waiting for yet another car to plow into the wrecks and carnage already there; sure enough, the scene that follows the wretched mess you just witnessed with horrified eyes is even more hideous. And what the heck is Sam Rockwell doing here? is he that desperate for cash? i would have thought he would have preferred orally servicing Trump supporters than resort to this.
January 21, 2017
Even though Michael Angarano shows a sympathetic effort, this shockingly unfunny and badly-acted Hess picture makes more gross-out gags than pleasant minutes.
January 13, 2017
Many people don't "get" this amazing movie. Do you laugh uncontrollably in movies at theaters when only one other person is laughing, and you're like, "who is that person way over there, laughing?" It's me and I want you to watch this movie. A lot of people focus on the stupid potty mouth humor that is barely a plot device for the legit sardonic, dark comedy that this is.
January 6, 2017
Wow, what in the world did I just watch. Only gets two stars because it was so bad I had to keep watching.
½ December 21, 2016
Not my kind of humor. Jemaine Clement and Jennifer Coolidge were the saving graces of the movie.
October 14, 2016
A totally underrated sci-fi/comedy gem.
½ September 20, 2016
A funny movie that doesn't get it's just due. Most people go in with a negative attitude on this one. Too bad they're missing out!
½ September 18, 2016
Awkward, quirky and hilarious. Love Jemaine Clements character.
July 20, 2016
Within a few seconds of Gentlemen Broncos' opening credits, you can tell Jared Hess is hoping to go back to his roots after Nacho Libre couldn't muster up the same breakout success. And as the film progresses, you continue to feel similarities to Napoleon Dynamite. You've got a loner protagonist, in this case an aspiring sci-fi writer, who lives with a wacky parental figure, getting into quirky shenanigans with two fellow oddballs, as well as a legendary sci-fi writer who serves as his idol. All the pieces are there, waiting to be put together.

So why can't Hess recapture the same quirky charm of Napoleon Dynamite? Perhaps its the lack of likeability and fun that made Hess' debut film so memorable: outside of our protagonist Benjamin Purvis, nobody here is remotely likeable, whereas most everyone in Napoleon Dynamite was oddly loveable. Of course, this is a story that's largely centered around unlikeable characters, but it creates so many moments that are largely unfunny. Hess decides to focus on reactionary gags, and downright childish butt/fart humor, over the deadbeat humor of Napoleon Dynamite, and it simply isn't nearly as effective. Not helping matters are scenes that turn Purvis' writing into live action affairs, which are painfully corny, without any sense of intentional humor that Hess may be trying to convey here.

Sam Rockwell plays the lead in these segments, and he's as delightfully charming, and absolutely bonkers, as he always is: unfortunately, that's more a testament to Rockwell than to the film. With that said, none of the performances here are outright bad: in fact, most everyone does quite well for a cast of actors stuck with such dismal characters. Michael Angarano is quite charming as Benjamin, enough so to where you really want him to succeed. Jermaine Clement (and his heavenly voice) makes for an amusing "antagonist", and Mike White is the closest thing to a deadpan Jared Hess character here, which is nice. Halley Feiffer and Héctor Jiménez (who reteams with Hess after Nacho Libre) aren't bad, but their shtick rarely works.

It's nice of Hess to attempt to rekindle the fire that essentially created his career, but unfortunately, that's all it is: an attempt. And sadly, it's not a great one. Hess has mostly failed to prove why his sense of humor works twice now: hopefully he can find his footing, because he's in a bit of a low spot right now.
July 15, 2016
Excellent. Hess does it again.
½ July 13, 2016
What a wacky and ridiculous movie! If you like Jared Hess' style (Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre) you should dig this. It's the same kind of bizarre, quirky humor. Sam Rockwell and the snake scenes killed me.
February 5, 2016
Delves fearlessly into its own absurdity and is unashamedly juvenile. What a lovely, hilarious little film.
January 15, 2016
It had me at "Yeast Factory".