Gentlemen Broncos - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gentlemen Broncos Reviews

October 14, 2016
A totally underrated sci-fi/comedy gem.
½ September 20, 2016
A funny movie that doesn't get it's just due. Most people go in with a negative attitude on this one. Too bad they're missing out!
½ September 18, 2016
Awkward, quirky and hilarious. Love Jemaine Clements character.
July 20, 2016
Within a few seconds of Gentlemen Broncos' opening credits, you can tell Jared Hess is hoping to go back to his roots after Nacho Libre couldn't muster up the same breakout success. And as the film progresses, you continue to feel similarities to Napoleon Dynamite. You've got a loner protagonist, in this case an aspiring sci-fi writer, who lives with a wacky parental figure, getting into quirky shenanigans with two fellow oddballs, as well as a legendary sci-fi writer who serves as his idol. All the pieces are there, waiting to be put together.

So why can't Hess recapture the same quirky charm of Napoleon Dynamite? Perhaps its the lack of likeability and fun that made Hess' debut film so memorable: outside of our protagonist Benjamin Purvis, nobody here is remotely likeable, whereas most everyone in Napoleon Dynamite was oddly loveable. Of course, this is a story that's largely centered around unlikeable characters, but it creates so many moments that are largely unfunny. Hess decides to focus on reactionary gags, and downright childish butt/fart humor, over the deadbeat humor of Napoleon Dynamite, and it simply isn't nearly as effective. Not helping matters are scenes that turn Purvis' writing into live action affairs, which are painfully corny, without any sense of intentional humor that Hess may be trying to convey here.

Sam Rockwell plays the lead in these segments, and he's as delightfully charming, and absolutely bonkers, as he always is: unfortunately, that's more a testament to Rockwell than to the film. With that said, none of the performances here are outright bad: in fact, most everyone does quite well for a cast of actors stuck with such dismal characters. Michael Angarano is quite charming as Benjamin, enough so to where you really want him to succeed. Jermaine Clement (and his heavenly voice) makes for an amusing "antagonist", and Mike White is the closest thing to a deadpan Jared Hess character here, which is nice. Halley Feiffer and Héctor Jiménez (who reteams with Hess after Nacho Libre) aren't bad, but their shtick rarely works.

It's nice of Hess to attempt to rekindle the fire that essentially created his career, but unfortunately, that's all it is: an attempt. And sadly, it's not a great one. Hess has mostly failed to prove why his sense of humor works twice now: hopefully he can find his footing, because he's in a bit of a low spot right now.
July 15, 2016
Excellent. Hess does it again.
½ July 13, 2016
What a wacky and ridiculous movie! If you like Jared Hess' style (Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre) you should dig this. It's the same kind of bizarre, quirky humor. Sam Rockwell and the snake scenes killed me.
February 5, 2016
Delves fearlessly into its own absurdity and is unashamedly juvenile. What a lovely, hilarious little film.
January 15, 2016
It had me at "Yeast Factory".
½ December 7, 2015
Top 10 Worst Movies Ever Made. F-
October 22, 2015
Even though Michael Angarano shows a sympathetic effort, and it may have started as a clever premise, this shockingly unfunny and badly-acted Hess picture makes more gross-out gags than pleasant minutes.
½ September 21, 2015
Watch this film if you've ever drawn fan art or finished reading a sci-fi Fantasy tetralogy. I don't know why so many critics reviewed this so poorly. The fictional "yeast lords" universe is humorously unique, the soundtrack is fantastic, and the immature slapstick comedy got plenty of laughs from me. Maybe because I don't have any ego issues with Jared Hess' international success from terse writing and the occasional toilet humor.
August 30, 2015
Amazing film! Whoever rated this bad needs to freaking die.
½ August 18, 2015
It should be a cult classic, but I don't think it is at this point. It's a shame because there is some brilliant stuff in this movie, especially the Sam Rockwell sections. They're so bizarre and weird that it makes the movie worth watching.
½ August 12, 2015
Pensei que por ter sido dirigido pelo Jared Hess (Napoleon Dynamite) e ter o Jemaine Clement (Flight of the Conchords), não fosse ser tão ruim. Mas me enganei.
July 11, 2015
Gentleman Broncos is a comic triumph - hilarious from beginning to end offering insights into the minds of aspiring writers & directors as well as commenting on the psyche of the only child with absent father - though obviously not fully understood by reviewers of the time - this movie will slowly be revered as a shining gem and standout amongst the over-rated ilk of its decade and century - Gentleman Broncos is fabulous. 5 big ones!
May 22, 2015
I have a very strong opinion regarding this film. I think it is comic genius. Seriously, I get defensive.
½ April 18, 2015
Husband and wife; Jared and Jerusha Hess have done an amazing job of encapsulating small town living and the 'pseudo-country' personalities that lead the lifestyles of the writing community in country USA. This film has received poor ratings and wide spread criticism for it's lack of character development and limited 'plot value' as stated by reviewers earlier in the thread - This is vaguely true as the audience is forced to think outside of the box and fill in the gaps with personal experience and imagination. It becomes more of an amalgamation of personal thought coupled with the writings of Jared and Jerusha to create a complete picture and thus a relatable, enjoyable satire on country America. Once you get past what is perceived as the 'correct way' or the societal norm within hollywood film creation of the 21st century you'll have blast.

However, a non linear plot line shifting between book and amateur film directed by the eccentric partners to Benjamin; Lonnie and Tabatha, along with set of diverse minor characters creates an atmosphere of pure creativity and subjective thought on the audiences behalf - Without this film an entire culture of home movie enthusiasts and amateur writing would not be recognised by the mainstream film community; And then where would we be in 20yrs time when action packed violence and predictable Rom-Coms films have been worn out?

This film is in genre of its own and I believe both Jared and Jerusha knew this when they cowrote the story - Gentlemen Broncos is a must see if you enjoyed Napoleon Dynamite and other films of the same nature. A great Sunday afternoon bludge for those looking to get lost in the world of the Sci-Fi and fantasy adventure with a tongue in cheek twist.
½ April 9, 2015
While this film is far from perfect, Jared Hess's third feature film, Gentlemen Broncos, isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
February 15, 2015
A niche comedy. But it's one of my niche comedies.