Get Out - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Get Out Reviews

½ February 17, 2019
WOW! soooooo STUPID. Wasn't tense. Wasn't entertaining, until I laughed at the movie, not with it. A movie that took itself too serious. Does anyone remember Skeleton Key?
½ February 16, 2019
Let's be honest, a lot of praise for this film is from the exact group of people it is satirizing.

I have mixed feelings on it. To be honest, the more I reflect on the film, the more I appreciate the skill and nunace with which it critiques the grotesquely exaggerated sympathies of many in our society.

After reading so many reviews that I believe to have taken the film for the virtual exact opposite message of what I believe was intened, I'm raising my score even as I finish typing this. Maybe I judged it too quickly on first glance?

Lol.
February 15, 2019
ridiculously over rated... hyper inflated scores in response to- "not enough black winners" in last years awards ceremonies made VERY ordinary movies like this get the golden nod, almost as if it was racist to not give it a high score. it was flawed as hell, died in the last several acts and it's basic premise was nonsensical.
February 8, 2019
Cannot possibly come up with a criticism. Very compelling.
½ February 8, 2019
Get Out is a very good movie. It has great surprises, acting, writing, perfectly balanced humor, but above all, it delivers a gut-punching message that is very important to today´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)s social and political climate. There is even an alternate ending that will leave you with a lasting pang of guilt that will force you to examine the very threads of this world, and more specifically your world. First off, one of the awesome things about this film is, in fact, the camera work. Jordan Peele did a great job of shooting each scene, in a way that made the horror scenes seem scarier, like how the camera was closer and shakier. Another great thing was acting. For instance, Allison Williams, who played the innocent girlfriend, and transitioned with ease to then play a horror villain who seduces black people to eventually transfuse them with other people's consciousness. Also, Catherine Keener and Bradley Whitford, who play "woke" parents who struggle to accept the interracial relationship, and then transition to playing a demented psychiatrist and neurosurgeon respectively. And then there is Caleb Landry Jones, who has a stellar performance of the drunk, dark, and brooding brother in the background.
Another thing that makes this movie so superb is it's writing. First about this, is the basic plot. The way that the movie starts off so innocently, but weaves itself into being just terrifying. With the subtle, but very creepy Andre, to Missy and her wacky and just plain scary therapy sessions. Then at the end, the surgery which detaches scalps and shows brains, to people getting stabbed with a taxidermied moose, kicked in the head, choked, stabbed with a fork, and shot with a gun. Then there is also the other aspect of the film, which is what makes it so great. Jordan Peele wrote the film with his parts of his Key and Peele experience, and it was also very funny. Most of the jokes, however, required bad language, but it paid off. There weren't too many jokes, but the amount of them was great and hit a perfect balance with the rest of the seriousness of the movie. Then there is the message. The villain of the movie might appear to be the Armitage's, but the real horror is systemic racism. The alternate ending also conveys this message. It shows how the system, the racially biased system, always favors the majority. It also shows how one can beat there own demons and feel at peace with themselves, even in the midst of all life's craziness. However, there are the downsides, like how the characters don't have clear arcs and the film is quite jump-scarey, but the movie is really just plain great.
February 4, 2019
Fantastic cinematography and acting with a lot of suspense and mystery to progress the plot forward. I loved this movie even though it was not as scary as I thought it would be and more thought-provoking
½ February 3, 2019
Just some more racist black power crapnot worthy of any awards it was nominated for or given.
February 2, 2019
I could not see the difference between The Skeleton Key with Kate Hudson and Get Out.
½ February 2, 2019
I just found it all very average. Take out the political slant that is only getting so much attention and praise because of the zeitgeist of our times, and I think it's doing very little worthy of even talking about.
February 1, 2019
The premise of this movie is that evil white people are taking over the bodies of simple minded black people to be their sex slaves. Is there any possibility that this would have been made had it not been written by a black guy? This is some liberal fantasy world. I could get over it if it had been entertaining, but it wasn't.
January 26, 2019
Best movie of this year I love how he explores on racism and also that how it just explores how people can be so racist these days and I highly recommend it and if you find a copy of this movie get it immediately
½ January 26, 2019
Get Out comes out the gate with heavy handed social commentary. Instead of being about that, the last third of the movie warps into something totally different and enjoyably shocking.
January 25, 2019
What an amazing film. So well shot, a breath if fresh air.
January 23, 2019
this movie did nothing for me
½ January 20, 2019
Finally, a horror movie that was not full of cliches. While not everything made sense, it was original, suspenseful and surprising.
½ January 20, 2019
I made it to 18:03 seconds. The social justice overtones and clear jabs at law enforcement, which were silly to anyone who knows law and current procedures, were absolutely intolerable. It's clear why the critics loved it.
January 20, 2019
Another racism themed film, more ammunition to the racially segregated society we live in. The social commentary isn't anything new.
½ January 20, 2019
average horror movie with an awful ending
January 18, 2019
One of the best movie's i have ever seen
January 17, 2019
This was very creepy and took a big turn i was not expecting to happen. I would definitely say it was worth my while. It was a real trip fest and i love when movies trick you to think differently than you think. A little slow at times but overall a good movie.