Godzilla Vs Hedorah (Gojira tai Hedorâ) (Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster) Reviews

• Nov 17, 2019

It was OK. The threat was pretty serious, and it was definetly darker, but it ended up being like a, "Don't pollute our oceans!" advertisement.

• Oct 11, 2019

There were funnier kid-friendly films, there were darker harsh films, but this one is great for its balance. Of all Godzilla films (and I'm a big fan) THIS is the most under-rated flick.

• Jun 03, 2019

Super underrated story of pollution, giant monsters and how wired the 70s were.

Super underrated story of pollution, giant monsters and how wired the 70s were.

• Jun 02, 2019

Though it does capture a much more Godzilla inspiration motif, the performance should have been less of a comedy

• Nov 28, 2018

Kind of boring but I like the scene where Godzilla fly's

Kind of boring but I like the scene where Godzilla fly's

• Apr 27, 2018

Weird and dark, with a sizable body count, I think this is one of the best since the original. I was quite surprised to read that so many people disliked Godzilla VS Hedorah. Except for the last 10 minutes or so, it's one of the darker and more serious Godzilla entries. Yes, it's a weird film, with odd directorial choices throughout, but I actually thought those choices made it a lot more interesting than many of its by-the-numbers predecessors. And thematically it has a huge amount in common with the original 1954 film - swapping the devastation of the atomic bomb for the devastation caused by pollution. Where I think the film falls down is at the end. It introduces a silly element or two, and the finale is overlong and repetitive. But these decisions aren't so destructive as to ruin the film, they just hurt it a bit.

• Sep 09, 2017

While not a good movie, it's not unenjoyable. They get credit for trying something different and attempting to have a real social commentary as part of the action, as opposed to just having monster fight monster. The tone is really uneven though. And Hedorah, who admittedly gives Godzilla a good fight, looks cheap and shoddy. And I tend to cut the monsters a lot of slack in that department, so that's saying something.

• Feb 01, 2017

One of the better Godzilla movies, Godzilla vs Hedorah is an interesting film more about a environmentalist message than a full on godzilla film.But Hedorah is actually a pretty cool monster, and the fight between him and Godzilla is great. Even though it may be campy, this is still a pretty good Godzilla film!

• Oct 26, 2016

"It's my Kaiju, baby, and it FREAKS ME OUT, YEAH!"

"It's my Kaiju, baby, and it FREAKS ME OUT, YEAH!"

• Sep 17, 2016

This time around, Godzilla finds himself confronting a smog monster immune to it' atomic breath. It is much better than both it's predecessor and succesor. It has thought-provoking themes, about the impossible things that can happen if pollution gets out of control. It is one of the darkest Godzilla movies. But ultimately delivers a stable plot and tons of entertainment and action.