Goodbye Christopher Robin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goodbye Christopher Robin Reviews

July 13, 2018
Wonderful movie. Just picked a movie on airplane and couldn't stop watching.
I had heard rumors of the story, but all wrong. Very touching. Very informative.
Great acting by such a young child.
July 8, 2018
The ending was amazing as it revealed Christopher Robin was actually not dead, the ending was very heartwarming for all, i wish all who could see the movie could feel the same.
July 8, 2018
A sweet period drama. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I do wish it showed more of the writing's, artwork and book, but well done and well acted. The child Christopher Robin was spot on. Very enjoyable.
½ June 24, 2018
Incredible film with incredible cinematography.
June 21, 2018
Enjoyed this story of the man and boy of Winnie the Pooh.
½ June 9, 2018
I enjoyed the theme of parenthood in this particularly the father / son relationship. The way the joint project became more important than the relationship is something all parents must have experienced. It was also interesting to know something of the back story. However the film was strangely flat, never seeming to get past the father's frowns and the mother's love of the party life.
June 4, 2018
could be good ?And I loved it
May 9, 2018
While certain elements are polished enough to distract-steady performances, lovely cinematography-they are put together in such a jarring and self-contradictory way that the whole thing vomits itself out in a sheer mess of confused editing. Worse yet, the central theme-the ugly reverberations of trauma, the return of the repressed-is constantly itself elided, so that any dramatic experience beyond the obvious post-WWI PTSD is quickly quieted and cast aside like an old toy.
½ May 6, 2018
I could call this a movie to end all movies, making a play on the old phrase coined by H. G. Wells about WWI, the "War to End All Wars". What a genius piece of work this film is, I loved it even though I felt like an emotional wreck at the end. I grew up adoring Disney's adaptation of Winnie the Pooh & only several years ago did I learn that A. A. Milne's only child was the inspiration for his beloved children's books. However, this film carries enough trauma, sadness, & loss in it to last a lifetime. Instead of being a sweet story as I assumed, it was heartbreaking to watch the 6 to 8 year old real life Christopher Robin (called Billy Moon by his family) deal with things even the strongest adults wouldn't be able to handle. His proper British & very privileged parents not only didn't know how to show their love, but thrust him into the crazed world of publicity with the adoration of fans worldwide wreaking havoc with his childhood & ultimately causing him to abhor that which made them rich and famous.

I am sorry now that I didn't see this in a theater during its short runtime as the cinematography was breathtaking showing us the richness of the world that the Milnes lived in during the first half of the 20th century. The directing, writing, editing, sound, & acting were all top notch. Firstly, Domhnall Gleeson is a talent to behold. I never see him as any other character I have seen him portray previously over many years, like I do with some actors. He has the supreme ability to become any character & embody that persona perfectly, like a chameleon. In this case, he shows us the sad tragic figure of the famous author that was never shown in public. Margot Robbie portrayed his wife & Billy Moon's mum exactly the way I imagine she was. Kelly McDonald who I feel is under appreciated by critics portrays Billy Moon's nanny, Olive, (called Nou by Billy), with a simple but strong love for the boy that makes us feel he should have been her son. Alex Lawther did well as the 18+ year old Christopher Robin in the few scenes he had showing a nice range of emotions, & appears to have a nice career ahead of him in acting. & last but definitely not least, Will Tilston played the younger version of Christopher Robin so well, he had me in tears quickly & easily whenever he was sad, upset, or even angry, then smiling when he was happy or excited. That's an actor right there. Hopefully we will see him again soon.

One more thing I would like to add is the beautiful score by Carter Burwell was outstanding with its emotional tracks setting up each scene & driving the movie along at the right pace.
May 5, 2018
Unusual and true story
April 25, 2018
I can never see Winnie the Pooh the same way again... this real life story is heartbreaking, what a miserable life he had growing up. Will Tilston is simply adorable as young Christopher Robin and love Kelly Macdonald. Her emotional scene will make you cry...
April 23, 2018
I wanted to love this film because it's full of amber-lit English drawing rooms and countrysides and country houses, has a cute kid playing the young inspiration for the Winnie the Pooh books, because it's about a book and an author, and because that book is one of the most famous books known around the world. And while the story of how that book came to be was somewhat slowly unrolled the way that the book's reception affected the author's son, Christopher Robin Milne, and strained his relationship with his father was very emotionally affecting. The young Milne's complicated feelings of exploitation and neglect provide a deep layer of angst beneath the anglophilic charms of this film.
April 8, 2018
Goodbye Christopher Robin is a 2017 British biographical drama film about the lives of Winnie-the-Pooh creator A. A. Milne and his family, especially his son Christopher Robin. It was directed by Simon Curtis.
I grew up loving Winnie-the-Pooh and was surprised to learn that it was all based on real characters. And so I was very much looking forward to this film. The period settings, costumes, and gardens are superb, and perfectly capture the era. The film revolves around numerous tensions involving war, family, and success. While I enjoyed learning how the book & characters came to be, it never really reached the emotional heights for me. I also thought that some of the interactions were a little exaggerated and dramatic. But sill it was an enjoyable film to watch, and I will now appreciated my Winnie-the-Pooh books even more.
April 7, 2018
Loved this movie. Really sweet!
March 29, 2018
I went to see this film mainly because I live just down the road from where it was set. I was expecting a routine, superficial British heart-warmer, but it was much better than that. There was good acting, especially from an unrecognisable Domhnall Gleeson and an uncloying (though sweet) Will Tilson. This film has real heart and is a rewarding view.
March 24, 2018
CUTE MOVIE WASNT EXSPECTING IT TO BE AS GOOD AS IT WAS.
March 21, 2018
This was a good film choice, considering I was on a flight back to England for the first time in two years. A very British film that displays the best of us and the worst of us.
March 3, 2018
Me gusto de la parte biográfica, aprendes. El conflicto del hijo después de saltar a la fama es muy interesante, pinche chamaco maricón mal agradecido, (Bonus data: BIlly Moon se casa con su prima hermana y tienen una hija con parálisis cerebral, muere sin riqueza, una vida muy desafortunada)
½ March 2, 2018
Watched this on the ride over to 2018 Winter Olympics and loved every second of the film. The message from A.A. Milne regarding war is eerily relevant today.

The message of the movie about enjoying a child's life, allowing a child to be a child, about a parent being present in the child's life not merely surrounding the child with 'stuff' is something most parents could learn today.