Goodbye Christopher Robin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goodbye Christopher Robin Reviews

February 22, 2018
Brilliant movie. Based on a true, sad and poignant story.
Just perfect!
February 19, 2018
If you grew up with A.A. Milne's books (as I did), this movie will tug at every fiber of your being. I was elated to know the story behind the wonderful books, heart broken for the exploitation of his son and grateful for compassion and forgiveness that C.R. Milne was able to give to his father in the end. Beautiful story.
½ February 17, 2018
Strange artistic choices and a very different narrative makes for a very different, but (thanks to the great acting) still compelling experience.
½ February 13, 2018
I think it to be a strange complaint to say a film is a film. So im shocked at that response. I found the film to be interesting and highly enjoyable. At some times emotional in both a happy and sad way. Its not a tell all, but it gives a glimpse into the real lives behind the fiction and the background, the affects. When telling the story of a children's book, no matter how dark the back story, it would seem almost inappropriate to take out any of the happiness that was put into it. This film highlights both the positive and negative aspects of the Milne family's life, neither undermining the other in any way.
½ February 12, 2018
About A. A. Milne's creation of his beloved Winnie the Pooh stories, as well as his relationship with his son who inspired them. Surprisingly, "Goodbye Christopher Robin" is an escapist biographical drama that makes escapism look kind of bad.
½ February 9, 2018
2.5/5 stars

It is an interesting story, telling the origins of Winnie the Pooh, but it isn't a soft, cuddly, kid friendly movie. Instead, it turns out that it is pretty dark with a bunch of pretty dysfunctional family relationships.

Overall a fine, but not great movie. It was interesting to watch, but not terribly memorable.
½ February 4, 2018
It's not very often that a true story is made into a film that not too many people are familiar with. Sure, many films have elements that most viewers weren't aware of, but when popularity overshadows the truth, sometimes it can be forgotten. Goodbye Christopher Robin tells a story that I believe everyone needs to witness. Yes, it can work as a story in its own right, but what it's based on and what came of it is truly worth knowing. Films like Detroit that follows the Detroit riots or Steve Jobs that follows the invention of Apple are very much in the public eye today, so films like that (although great) can be quite predictable, which is why I found this film to stand out among the rest. Here's why I believe this movie deserves more attention that it's receiving.

After the first world war, Alan (a survivor of the war) moves to a house in the woods to regain peace with his family. Suffering from post-traumatic stress and sudden outbursts, it's tough for his wife Daphne and his son Christopher to be around him at times. After using some time to calm down, a few strolls in the woods with his son would eventually blossom into the invention of Winnie the Pooh and each of the secondary characters from the story as well. We see movies and television shows all the time, but what people hardly ever do is look further into how that specific story came to be.

In the hardships of the war, the character of Winnie the Pooh, along with each story that was showcased throughout each episode made quite the impact on the war heroes of that time period. It brought happiness in times that demanded it, but all people know of the character today is that a group of animals entertain kids through a television. Sure, it does the same job as it did back then, but the making of these characters meant so much more in the past and I think more people need to witness this well-made picture.

Domhnall Gleeson leads this film as Alan, but Margot Robbie and newcomer Will Tilston are just as relevant to the story, with Tilston being the most notable of them all. I've always been a fan of Gleeson on-screen, but his interaction with young Tilston truly made this film loveable from start to finish. Yes, there are some powerful moments of drama here and not everything about this story was all sunshine and rainbows, but the conclusion of this movie is sure to put a smile on your face. Although subtle, I think one of the main factors in what made this film so good was its visual storytelling.

Yes, the ways that this father and son came up with certain characters' names or how a specific plot was developed was nice and felt a little nostalgic, especially to someone who watched these episodes as a kid, but the way scenery would change in order to incorporate moods or how the weather would change around them to show what they're imagining instead of just showing a dream sequence was fascinating. I thoroughly enjoyed nearly every aspect of this movie.

At the very least, I can see people being pleasantly surprised at how much went on during the development of Winnie the Pooh. It just seems like a silly kid's show, but the family behind the story kind of blew me away. In terms of its screenplay, it felt a little formulaic, but I honestly don't have many more complaints other than that. The cinematography, direction, and performances all stood out to me in a positive way and I found myself in tears by the time the credits began to roll. This is an extremely well-made, heartfelt story worth experiencing.
February 3, 2018
Absolutely brilliant! Winnie the Pooh was my first adventure in books and a cherished memory. The movie did everything right and my wife and I loved it!
½ February 1, 2018
Gleason, Robbie and McDonald prove one again why they are standard bearers in the acting field for their generation. The movie never quite strikes the right tone when things get dark, which would've made it more effective.
½ January 31, 2018
What a sad movie...good though.
½ January 31, 2018
Someone always pays for fame and genius, and they are those who whose creations achieve it and those who inspire it. Life is made up of joy and sorrow, moments of magic and moments of darkest despair, The joy that the most famous children's book of all times gave as a parent/child reading and bonding experience was reflected from the joy father and son felt together, but the overwhelming success of its publication almost destroyed the family with its burden of fame, an object of desire to those who do not have it, but a curse to those who do. An engrossing film, beautifully realized.
½ January 29, 2018
the combination of PTSD after WWI and creating the best loved children's book of all time is tricky here but Domhall Gleeson, Margot Robbie and Will Tilston give remarkable performances
Allen Blue comes home from the war to end all wars and doesn't want another one to happen any time soon but his wife urges him to see that war is a fact of life and its unpreventable, so he decides to write another book to give that happiness people have forgotten about and desperately need
after his wife gives birth to Christopher Robin he gets inspired to write about animal toys that come to life and play with his son
after it's a hit though the boy doesn't want any of the fame, money or recognition for such a beloved character, he only wants his own name and have his childhood with his father
yet Blue still suffers the effects of surviving in the trenches and it does have an effect on the child
the real-life story truly has a more dark nature to its humble beginnings and it wasn't made up happy-go-lucky
even Robin's maid had a big influence on him growing up
every kid deserves to grow up happy no matter how successful the creation of a story gets or how vast the attention is given from the rest of the world
wars come and go, we have our own names to have, and even a character like a bear made up can have a huge effect for both the parents and kids innocence
a children's book should matter more to the child first, the notoriety should come later
January 29, 2018
This is a poignant film about PTSD combined with fahter-son realtinships as depeicted in the upper echelons of society. The days between the author and the cild show the creative of both and we see the author embrace a childlike sense of wonder with his son. I had not know that Milne was first a renowned playwritght in the West End of London about the same time as Peter P)an auhtor J. M. Barrie. It is sad that Milne could not keep the character as just that a character and keep the press from hounding his son. His wife - well that is another story - ice in her veins.
½ January 24, 2018
'Goodbye Christopher Robin' is a bittersweet yet hard-edged drama that on biographical terms fascinates and illuminates.
January 23, 2018
Goodbye Christopher Robin is one of the year's most underrated films that depicts the darkness behind one of the most beloved children's books so well and it makes for a really fascinating watch. It is very well shot, acted and cast. It showcases the negative aspects of fame and how it can destroy lives and families and is thus thematically very relevant today.
½ January 20, 2018
Absolute bullcrap like the books.
½ January 17, 2018
Goodbye Christopher Robin does exactly what it sets out to do, it's a sweet movie about a sweet book and the not-so-sweet effects it has on a family. It's enjoyable, it's nothing truly special. It's a film that can best be described by the lyrics to the Disney version of Winnie The Pooh. "All stuffed with fluff"
January 15, 2018
Every great story has another one behind, great as well...
January 14, 2018
Si le contexte historique du film reste anodin, Goodbye Christopher Robin offre une belle perspective à ce qui as amener à la création d'un des classiques de la littérature pour enfants.
January 13, 2018
I cried a little at the end. (Brit accent) Stiff upper lip and all that. I purposely did not look at his biography until the celluloid had flipped off the reel.

The period is done so perfectly, richly, you'll be drawn into the picture. I grew up with a Brit mum and she read Winnie the Pooh to me. Oh how much I wanted to be a part of their lives, but I wasn't. They are typically British and I felt I was watching like an audience member.

Perhaps that's a good thing. We should feel the distance they felt and not get all touchy touchy (ever since Princess Diana's death, a thing of the past).

A really lovely film. Interesting, sad, happy and downright necessary - you'll go through all the emotions. I found myself with clenched fists and saying the requisite 'no no no' at the end but it is necessary in order to know these people. The director is right.

Life is not perfect. Deal with it and us. I came away with that.