Happy, Happy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Happy, Happy Reviews

½ December 18, 2014
While it may not be profoundly cinematic, the dynamics between Happy, Happy's quartet of main characters make for an interesting and engaging watch, sprinkled with some typically dark Scandinavian humour.
December 6, 2014
Enjoyable premise and quirky film, but somehow very ordinary.
August 30, 2014
A very good choice for the fans of Scandinavian cinema - light, funny, yet touching quite a dramatic topic and area.
½ March 30, 2014
Interesting, unique.
October 2, 2013
...enjoyable and emotional ~ Kaja is overjoyed, almost too much so, at the arrival of her new neighbours in a rural area of a wintery, snow covered, Norwegian countryside ~ which does give the immediate impression that all is not well in her household. Married to Eirik (Joachhim Rafaelson), a surly and seemingly humourless charater, she welcomes the new arrivals with excess glee, almost begging them to become close friends ~ the arrivals, Elisabeth (Maibritt Saerens) & Sigve (Henrik Rafaelsen), soon note the slightly overbearing welcome is a cover up from that of a lonely woman ~ the two couples meet for dinners at each other's homes, and the desire of Kaja soon become clear ~ Elisabeth does help Kaja to emerge from the lonely life by encouraging her to sing in the choir, where Kaja soon finds she does have a talent to sing ~ but Kaja and Sigve are by now engaging in an affair ~ Eirik remains a distant, unappealing character who says the sexless existence in the marriage to Kaja is due to her not being attractive ~ and other secrets emerge during the liaisons between all parties ~ the couple's respective children strike up a friendship, and all draws to a fairly cordial finale ~ not bad...
July 15, 2013
Pretty good indie film!
½ June 27, 2013
Family is the most important thing in the world to Kaja (Agnes Kittelsen). She is an eternal optimist in spite of living with a man who would rather go hunting with the boys and isn't interested in having sex with her anymore because she "isn't particularly attractive." Whatever. That's life. But when "the perfect couple", Sigve (Henrik Rafaelsen) and Elisabeth (Maibritt Saerens), moves in next door, Kaja struggles to keep her emotions in check. Not only do these successful, beautiful, exciting people sing in a choir,
they have also adopted a child - from Ethiopia! These new neighbours open a whole new world to Kaja, with consequences for everyone involved. And when Christmas comes around, it becomes evident that nothing will ever be like before - even if Kaja tries her very best...

I wanted to see "Happy, Happy" because of Agnes Kittelsen whom I have seen in the norwegian tv-show DAG. The problem with "Happy, Happy" is that the build up to the main plot takes a bit too long, Kaja isn´t that loveable unfortunately and the movie struggles with a confused identity if it´s a comedy, a drama or both. The musical interludes performed by a quartet builds on the confused identity as well. I reckon they aimed for comedy quirkiness á la Zooey Deschanel, but ended up with something vague, slightly depressing and not that funny. But, I still like Agnes Kittelsen.
April 10, 2013
Life and love in the land of snow. There are some very convincing relationships in this movie, and although it's a comedy it's also quite moving. In a painful kind of a way. The events are a bit OTT, and farcical, and the addition of a capella singers at odd intervals is a nice touch. Good stuff.
March 13, 2013
An attempt at quirkiness...kind of failed. The movie itself wasn't bad, but it just seemed pointless. Apparently, someone suggested add some guys that sing a little diddy every so often, and people will love it, and say it is quirky. Nope...
Harlequin68
½ February 21, 2013
In "Happy, Happy," Elisabeth(Maibritt Saerens), a lawyer, and Sigve(Henrik Rafaelsen) move with their adopted son Noa(Ram Shihab Ebedy) to a small town for a fresh start after Elisabeth's marital indiscretion. Aside from their volunteering for the local choir, they are warmly welcomed by neighbors Kaja(Agnes Kittelsen) and Eirik(Joachim Rafaelsen) who invite them over for game night. Then, Elisabeth and Sigve reciprocate in a night that soon turns confessional before Kaja gives Sigve a blow job.

You know you're in deep trouble as a non-musical film if the best part is the music, especially in the case of "Happy, "Happy" where the entertaining interludes performed by a quartet prove to be about the only reasons to watch this very murky film. Otherwise, it takes forever for the slim plot to kick in, as the movie without a true point of view is unsure of whether or not it is a comedy. To be honest, it is possible something got lost in translation or I didn't understand some Scandinavian cultural attitudes. That still can't explain the weird interaction between the boys which goes far beyond bullying.
½ February 3, 2013
My heart just fell apart for Kaja, the main character. She got treated terribly, but I can also see where her husband's annoyance was coming from and it wasn't Kaja. The characterization was a bit obvious, so it was more of a light-hearted movie, but still realistic. It shows the cold spectrum of emotion and shows somewhat where it comes from in Kaja's husband's case, but not the other wife's case. This is a movie that shows how kindness and patience could be mistaken for a weakness. I still feel like there wasn't much resolved when it came to the children. Now for the other couple, I'm a bit more harsh on the wife, but then again it's neither one's fault usually, but it was nice to see her warm up a bit. I can recognize her cold sense of humor, but I would've liked to see how that developed...maybe I missed some hints..
½ January 4, 2013
Happy, Happy är en tveksam titel. Det norska originalet beskriver filmen mycket bättre. I alla fall det första ordet. Helt sjukt.
½ January 4, 2013
Kaja (Agnes Kittlesen) may not be the brightest bulb in the pack, but she is a delightful hausfrau who only wants to know that she is valued and loved. Her husband, Eirik (Joachim Rafaelsen), is a brute of a man, who dismisses her desires and aspirations and is raising his son to be just like him. So when the perfect couple, Sigve (Henrik Rafaelsen) and Elisabeth (Maibritt Saerens) move in next door with their adopted son, Kaja begins to understand just how bleak her life is. As events unfold, we see that there is a definite emotional train wreck in everyone's future, and those affected are powerless to avoid the looming disaster. Secrets, however, have a way of revealing themselves and although this viewer found the situation uncomfortable to watch, he could not tear himself away, either. Kaja comes off as a much stronger, more aware and resilient creature than the opening scenes would have us believe. By the end, we know that she will survive. Not only that, but the way is now open for her to thrive.
August 22, 2012
not sure I get the Norwegian sense of humor
August 20, 2012
Another take on infidelity and broken marriages. Happy, Happy doesn't have much new to say on the subject itself but the film is well done, contains a well executed subplot featuring the families kids and features Cohen Brotheresque moments.
½ July 11, 2012
For our main characters, happiness is a masquerade. It often takes external forces to help one figure out that happy is a matter of perspective, of circumstance and of choice. The journey from point A to point B is messy, sometimes funny, and educational. And by the time you end up at point B, maybe, just maybe you truly are happy, or at least headed in the right direction. "Happy, Happy" shows four people on this journey in a tightly woven narrative interspersed with its own version of an ironic Greek (aka bluegrass gospel quartet) chorus. You know these people. You might even be these people. Where is your happy?
May 5, 2012
I felt "Happy Happy" when it was over, but sad sad that I had wasted almost two hours on it.
½ April 12, 2012
A rather strange movie -- one wonders why these two couples stay in the two houses.. -- but if nothing else, the movie is worth watching for the quartet that appears as transition.
½ March 31, 2012
Quite a good movie. I think one of the best things the movie does is present every character in a believable fashion. There's no "villains" in the story, just people who may have made the wrong choices in life but they're ultimately still decent people even with their flaws. That's one of the strengths of the movie, strong characters. There's solid performances all around and plenty of funny moments. The movie's scenes are sometimes broken up by this a-capella/doo-wop quartet singing blues songs. These scenes serve no real purpose quite frankly, even if the quartet sounds great...their greatness, however, has no bearing on the story the movie is trying to tell so I can't really understand what they were there for. But, again, they sound great. Anyway a very good movie that's available on Netflix, so I'd recommend it.
February 8, 2012