Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Reviews

December 4, 2016
161121: Action packed episode. The Goblet of Fire is more pleasing than the previous films; at least to this 50 year old. Is it because of improvements in technology or a darker adult theme; or both? Perhaps it's the maturing of the cast? Regardless, I liked this one as much as the first. Some great special effects including...dragons! I almost want to say epic. Guess I did.
½ December 4, 2016
While it hits a few bumps on the road to PG-13 territory, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - rather unsurprisingly the highest grossing film of 2005 - still boasts more mature performances from its young cast of teens, amazing special effects, a few funny moments here & there and a thrilling electrifying climax which introduces Ralph Fiennes in one of his most famous roles to date. The end result is ultimately one of the most thrilling Harry Potter films to date which even boasts complexity in terms of storytelling.
December 3, 2016
well... i liked, it's a good movie and the first appear of Voldemort was great but i liked more the last one
½ December 3, 2016
My kids really like the Harry Potter series, books and movies.

I like them too, up to a point. It's a creative and interesting universe.

This brings book one of the series to life very well, although it wasn't exactly as I had imagined it, pretty close.
½ December 1, 2016
My favourite entry (so far) in the Harry Potter Series, The Goblet Of Fire has an emotional weight not quite reached in the previous 3 movies. The actors have really come into their own, and seem very comfortable with their roles. Radcliffe takes on the part of an angsty teen with realism and believability, showing us that, despite being a much-admired wizard, he has no magic to fight off the horrors of puberty. Burgeoning adolescence is an underlying theme here, and it's explored so effectively and with such heart that I actually found myself feeling deeply for the characters, particularly in regards to the romance between Ron and Hermione, which contains undoubtedly the most moving scene. The effects are still spectacular, the action scenes are tense and engaging, and while the supporting characters don't have a lot to do, the focus is maintained where it needs to be. It might go on a bit long, and the climax is somewhat disappointing, but it brings a greater depth and seriousness, while managing to be funnier than even. That's quite an achievement, and the film pulls it off with style.
November 23, 2016
I remember loving this movie!
November 21, 2016
I think the action picks up a bit more compare to the 3rd film. It is 4th year of wizard school. Daniel Radcliffe dream of Voldermort and his minions. When the family and friends attend a national Quidditch tournament, Death Eaters came and Daniel saw the guy (David Tennant) who appear in his dream. Brendan Gleeson is the new defense against the dark arts teacher. This year the school held the Tri-Wizard Tournament and under 17 years old cannot participate because it is dangerous. Robert Pattinson is chosen to represent Hogwarts. Stanislav Ianevski from another school and he is also a German national team Quidditch seeker. Clémence Poésy is another from the girls school of France. Daniel's name is chosen as the 4th contestant, to the dismay of Rupert Grint mostly and many speculate he cheated in order to join. The council head decide to let him join although he is underage. Then there is the ballroom dance which Emma Watson go with Stanislav. Daniel want to invite Katie Leung but she agree to Robert. So it was disastrous for both Daniel and Ron. The first contest Daniel luckily outwit the Dragon and got the egg for the next clue. But Robbie Coltrane warn him beforehand. Unable to decipher the egg clue, Robert tell Daniel to take a bath and Daniel submerge it underwater and hear the clue. Matthew Lewis got hold of a herb to let Daniel breathe underwater. Clémence is defeated by the sea creatures. Daniel want to save 2 "hostage" but the creatures only allow one. He save 2 and himself attacked, uses magic to propel back on land.
Stanislav save Emma and Robert save Katie. Clémence thank Daniel and Ron for saving her sister. While in the woods, Daniel saw the corpse of the council head. The last contest is to grab the winners cup in the maze. All are defeated except Daniel. He reluctantly save Robert from being grab by the branches and together they hold the cup but whisk to a cemetery. Timothy Spall resurrect Voldermort (Ralph Fiennes) and kill Robert who is in the way. Turns out Jason Isaacs is also one of his followers. Ralph is gonna kill Daniel when their powers clash, his parents and Robert appear to hold Ralph distract to let Daniel grab the corpse and cup to the victory venue. Brendan bring Daniel to his room and he blurted out details which Daniel never mention. Michael Gambon, Maggie Smith and Alan Rickman rush in and reveal the chest hold the jailed and real Brendan. The fake is David all along using disguise potion. He is the one who make Daniel been chosen and win the tournament to let Voldermort revive because it need his blood. Michael decide to tell the school who kill Robert and they go for summer break..
½ November 19, 2016
Much like with its predecessor, the film here definitely goes in a different direction in regards to its themes and sense of maturity and colour. But that's not to say that this is a bad thing, especially for this film specifically. While the plot still feels rushed, the pacing is much better than that of its predecessor. The characters still aren't as likeable, but they do have more moments that make them shine, and the action is still pretty intense. A good film overall.
November 18, 2016
After the massive critical success of "Prisoner of Azkaban" but its underwhelming box office numbers and Cuarón leaving the directing chair, the fourth book of the franchise was the perfect one for this time as its actiony story was what Warner needed to get more money.

Returning for his fourth year of learning magic, Harry finds himself in the middle of a magical tradition due to some mysterious circumstances, this tradition being the Triwizard Cup, a competition between magical institutions.

You know, reviewing 8 films from the same franchise is tiresome as each film goes by it is harder to mention something new, but still the fourth Potter adventure has some new elements that need to by mentioned, for better or worse. "Goblet of Fire" has some exciting action sequences that are among the best of the series, some set pieces are quite interesting visually, it finally introduces the main villain of the saga (which is quite crazy when you considered that the main threat arrives at part 4 of your 8 part saga, sure he is mentioned in all of them and has a cameo in "Philosopher's Stone" and a somewhat appearance in "Chamber of Secrets"), the special effects continue to impress, Newell proves to be a versatile director as combines genres in a variety scenes pretty seamlessly, and it is possibly the most fun film to watch out of the 8, due to its action oriented story. But this film has bigger problems than his three predecessors. The characters are quite forgettable (only Mad Eye Moddy stands out but only due to its costume), the pacing issue returns which is not surprising for a rushed film, it attempts to replicate Cuarón's balance of whimsical and dark but it just fails in the whimsical side, the plot holes are magnified, and the story is the most meaningless for the rest of the saga, I mean the whole story isn't necessary and will never be mentioned again as the point of this film is its ending, but the road to get there feels disconnected.

"Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" is the most action oriented film of the saga and the turning point from whimsical to dark territory for the rest of the franchise. It may not be the most well written film of the saga nor the smartest or even the most memorable, but it is undeniably the most exciting of the bunch and arguably the most rewatchable. A highly entertaining blockbuster that solidly ends the first half of the saga.
November 16, 2016
The Triwizard Tournament is brought to the screen in magnificent fashion. (First viewing - Winter 2005 in theaters)
November 15, 2016
Goblet of Fire triumphs in the way it resonates with all sorts of teen problems, primarily dating relationships. It's equally as enjoyable to see the spectacle of the Triwizard Tournament, ranging from the glamorous (Beauxbatons) to the spooky (Black Lake) to the disturbing (Mad-Eye Moody). But I got to say that of all the films, this by far has the most unbearable acting, with no thanks to David Tennant or Robert Pattinson .
½ November 14, 2016
Sweeping and epic with dazzling effects and maturing characters, The Goblet of Fire marks an emotionally powerful turning point in the Harry Potter franchise
½ November 14, 2016
The dark lord has returned!
½ November 12, 2016
Puntaje Original: 8.5

Directamente, si no te gusta Harry Potter es porque está muerto por dentro. Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire nos ofrece una de las historias más fantásticas de la saga.
November 12, 2016
The one when you-know-who makes an appearance. Based around a young wizard tournament with puberty thrown in for good measure.
½ November 9, 2016
Up until Goblet of Fire, the Potter franchise is a load of fun with some creepy imagery and dark concepts mixed in. But Goblet of Fire is the turning point in the franchise for me. Yes, Prisoner of Azkaban has its dark moments, but the grave sense of danger and threat isn't really present until the 4th film.

The Goblet of Fire opens with a pretty terrifying dream sequence involving a deformed Voldemort, which may very well be my favorite opening to any of the films in the series. It comes right out and states that this franchise is no longer just a fun adventure, there are dangerously high stakes involved here, and Voldemort is a part of them. Of course, part of the fun nature of this film is its mysteriousness and the unpredictability. I've seen the film several times, but there's nothing quite like watching the Triwizard Tournament with someone who has no idea what they're in for.

Goblet certainly brings some new characters along with its different identity. Most notably, Brendan Gleeson's Professor Alastor 'Mad¬Eye' Moody. Looking back, it's difficult to assess how much I enjoyed the character considering he was kidnapped for nearly the entire length of the film, but his impact on Harry's tribulations throughout the film are felt. I mean, why wouldn't he be an interesting character? He's just the 4th straight new defense against the dark arts teacher to be hiding something in one way or another.

No matter, The Goblet of Fire is full of fresh adventures for the trio of Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Most of the film involves Harry competing in the various events of the tournament (which ends up feeling a whole lot like a Hunger Games), but there's always time for some quality trio scenes. Weirdly enough, this film made those scenes mostly deal with romance at the Yule Ball involving the three schools. It's admittedly the next logical step in these teenagers lives, but sometimes it can be a bit overboard. Some of it plays for comedy, but did I really need to see EVERYONE at Hogwarts, and I mean everyone, share the dance floor or have a scene with a love interet.

In many ways, The Goblet of Fire is the turning point in the franchise, and the first time you see someone of importance get hurt in a grave way. Although you don't have a ton of time for Cedric to develop, his death altered the course of the series and the mindsets of those at Hogwarts. That in itself makes it an important installment in the series. Not to mention the fact that there's a dragon, a bada** maze, and one unsettling resurrection towards the end. This is one of the better films, by a good margin.

+Moody's introduction

+Voldemort officially returns

+More mature and powerfully written than previous entries

+Turning point in the franchise

-Too much romance

9.2/10
November 8, 2016
VIKTOR KRUM! WORM TAIL! TOM RIDDLE! And dragons? MY PERSONAL FAVORITE IN THE ENTIRE SERIES.
November 4, 2016
I liked this Harry Potter because they where in a competition to win. But it was a little scary and the fighting was good! but it was a OK movie. I do not recommend children watching this
October 27, 2016
"Harry Potter" hasn't lost it's charm, but if I were taken hostage by my school and chained to the bottom of a lake for a school-sponsored wizardry competition, I would, at least, be looking into other schools that I'm qualified to enroll in at the end of the semester.
½ October 15, 2016
Before I start this review, I should re-name this film, "Harry Potter and the Journey of Hair Continuity." Yes, everyone's hairstyles can be a little distracting in this film (especially on the Weasley brothers) But look back on your yearbook in 2005 and try not to cringe at the hairstyle you had. I sure do. Anyways, The Goblet of Fire has gotten a reputation for being a mess among fans. I personally have never read the book so I cannot judge on that front, but what I can say is that this entry does suffer from Bi-Polar Tone Issues. This has the biggest contrast between the light-hearted fun and the dark gruesome scenes in the whole series. One scene will involve a giant attack on the Quidditch World Cup followed by Ron Weasley being amazed by girls' butts. The storyline involving Barty Crouch and the Death Eaters is actually a pretty interesting one but it takes a back seat for most of the movie for the Tri-Wizard Tournament and the Winter Ball Dance segment that takes up almost 1/3 of the movie. The Tri-Wizard Challenges are entertaining enough and all the teenage sexual tension is fun to see and gets some great laughs, but it doesn't flow as nicely as Prisoner of Azkaban did or even Chamber of Secrets for that matter. This is what happens when you hire the director of "Prince Of Persia: The Sands of Time". SPOILER ALERT... You know this one was coming... Cedric Diggory's death is so hard to watch. It's brutal! It always gets me in tears. END OF SPOILERS. Although this film is not as good as I once thought it was, there are still some very entertaining parts. The additions of Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort and Brendan Gleeson as Mad-Eye Moody were some of the best casting choices in the whole series and the Dragon Battle was pretty exciting. I just wish it had more focus on its story and tone instead of focusing on scenes like Moaning Myrtle trying to catch a peek at Harry's... Magic Wand... Sorry, It was too easy.