Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Reviews

Page 1 of 2010
March 29, 2018
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is a family friendly, faitthful adaptation of J.K. Rowling's classic novel, and its characters are iconic and its story is well-known, even though the effects and action are the worst of the franchise.
March 25, 2018
Overall, despite the missing elements from the original book, and the not so decent CGI elements, the film still introduces the world to magic, wizardry and most of all, the story of Harry Potter. So because of this, I would rate the film a 7.5/10.
March 18, 2018
Fantastic prologue, super story, very good actora.
½ March 15, 2018
This film was really brilliant. The film was a great adaptation of the book that didn't miss a lot of information and the acting of Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson were really brilliant, considering they were just kids at the time.
½ February 26, 2018
A warm and glowy comfort film.
February 23, 2018
I LOVED THIS MOVIE SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) ;):):):)::)::):):):)P)P)):):)
February 18, 2018
Not a Harry Potter fan however I think this movie is pretty good even if the CGI is little dated and a little to bloody long all though any movie with this many child actors that are not awfull is quite impressive
½ February 17, 2018
A faithful and magical start to a special franchise. Exceptional production, music and performances serve a heartfelt, sumptuous cinematic feast to audiences of all ages. Pace fluctuates only a little.
February 12, 2018
(84/100)
A fun setup to the franchise. CG was a bit dodgy sometimes, but it is 2001 so I didn't expect much. Dialogue was also a bit dodgy.
½ February 6, 2018
Cinematography/Editing: 4
Age/Originality: 2
Total: 17/25
½ January 29, 2018
nearly as entertaining as the book, with a couple scares
½ January 22, 2018
Strengths: When adapting a book to a film, keeping the essence of the source material is crucial. Chris Columbus and company succeeded there with the first Harry Potter film. He was a great choice for the early movies, as he nailed the more light hearted feel of these installments. It's quite the enchanting start and all the characters are given great introductions. You feel for Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), laugh at Ron (Rupert Grint), get annoyed but charmed by Hermione (Emma Watson) and are the perfect blend of suspicious and intrigued by Snape (Alan Rickman). By the way, Rickman and Maggie Smith (McGonagall) were seemingly born to play their respective roles. John Williams does a great job with the score, as well. The wizard chess scene, time in front of the mirror, and trek through Diagon Alley were all standout scenes. I also really liked how attention was paid to giving us a look at various aspects of Hogwarts and Qudditch.

Weaknesses: Though a few things look great, some of the effects weren't up to expectations for a movie with this kind of budget. The scene with the keys near the end looks particularly rough. As was some of Harry's time in the Quidditch game. The stakes also probably weren't high enough in the trials the kids faced. They beat the devil's snare and key room with relative ease. Some of that is on JK Rowling, but more tension could've been added to the film version. Instead, it all felt too easy. Though I appreciated the look at the magical world, some of it could've been cut to make it so the movie didn't last as long as it did. Towards the end, there was a sense of it dragging on.

Overall: Better than Chamber of Secrets to me, though behind the rest of the films in the series. It works as a way to setup this massive universe and does well in aiming towards children. There are issues with effects, the length and some of the conflict near the end, but this was a satisfying first installment. It's wonderfully faithful to the source material and has a heart of gold.
January 22, 2018
This movie is the first movie in the franchise and has a lot of great moments. I think in every series of movies there is one or two moments in each movie that stand out and are amazing. In this movie it's Wizards Chess and the troll. This movie does have its problems however in my opinion. The biggest one is the fact that it feels like nothing is going, the worst thing is that there seems to be very limited use of magic from the students in this movie especially in later films like the 4th and 5th movie. That is my only major flaw with this movie and it definitively started one of the best film franchises ever made.
January 20, 2018
Enjoyable film based on JK Rowling's fantastical world of wizards. Good story, well acted, especially by the marquee players, that moves along at an engaging clip. Overly simplistic in that you never get the sense that anyone is in real danger, so the movie just piles on with abandon the magic, interesting creatures and fantastical scenes/perils. Also, I take it down a bit for the Matrix-complex of The One, though they are much more obvious from right out of the gate how special Harry Potter is going to be. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the films.
January 18, 2018
A great beginning to a movie series that everyone seems to enjoy. The acting is great and the setting is presented with a great sense of wonder.
½ January 14, 2018
The cast is uniformly charming and while Columbus is far from the best director this series ever had he does handle the book's Roald Dahl-esque plot quite well.
January 13, 2018
Some early growing pains as the actors and director get a foothold in these characters and world, but an otherwise fun introduction to the Harry Potter movie franchise.
January 11, 2018
The mirror of Erissed scene was very touching
January 7, 2018
An absolutely instant classic. I am rating each of the Potter films independently of the books or at least not in direct contrast to the books but as films that stand on their own. There is no question, that this film burst on the scene with a new universe of Harry Potter. It was one of the 'nothing like this has been seen' instant children's classic. Although the actors were young, so we are not talking Oscar performances, the sets, characters, magic, adventure all add up to a children's and family classic.
January 5, 2018
The special effects are really bad, and the actors seem a little young, but overall the movies great.
Page 1 of 2010