Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Page 1 of 2006
December 10, 2016
Harry Potter Philosopher's Stone now get it right
December 6, 2016
Good start, it feels magical and it gives me a lot of nostalgia.
December 4, 2016
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone serves as an amazing first entry to the film series that led Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson into stardom. And it's all thanks to beautiful visuals, amazing special effects,a talented cast, a good director and a great mix of fantasy, thrills, drama and humour. No surprise that this movie went on to become the highest-grossing film of 2001. Thumbs up all around.
December 3, 2016
i love Harry Potter and the beggin of this history is just awesome!!
½ December 3, 2016
While it may have had several inconsistencies (Hermione not knowing Nicholas Flamel, the children attempting to blame Snape at first for no real reason other than because Harry thought so, Quidditch as an actual sport being inherently flawed, and a few others I'd rather not go on about to keep the review short) and the acting could have been a little better, this movie shines with brilliance in developing a fantastic world, a downright perfect score, and an interesting story. While I mentioned the acting wasn't great, the fact is many of the main cast is comprised of children who acted very well considering the fact, even if it wasn't great by regular acting standards. This is a great movie and I would recommend it to anyone.
November 28, 2016
It's LeviOsa not LeviosA
½ November 27, 2016
4 1/2 out of 5 stars! Not the best of the movies, but it did its job and was definately a great movie.
½ November 26, 2016
As the first Harry Potter film or is very nostalgic to me. At rewatching it, I can say that it does hold up. It as a great movie with some of the best child actors ever put to film and a really great story and world set up. As for faults, the movie has some quite dated effects and the movie's tone doesn't match with the others in the franchise.
November 23, 2016
This is an awesome movie!
November 20, 2016
Some bad CGI, some good. Like hog warts, beginning lame. Giant dude stupid. Like the mystery
½ November 18, 2016
I have mentioned many times that throughout the history of cinema some films have capture the imagination of a generation, and it is undeniable that the saga that had that effect in my generation is J.K.Rowling's "Harry Potter", a saga that took a decade to conclude. Did this saga have a solid beginning?

Harry Potter is a 10 year old boy who lives with his abusive uncles, but his pitiful life changes drastically when a tall bearded man reveals to him that he is a wizard and offers to take him to the wizard world where he belongs. The amazed Harry decides to follow this man in order to receive magical education, but little does he know about the dangers of this brand new world.

Let's get something clear: The first 4 chapters of this saga left a big mark on my childhood so undeniably there is going to be a little bit of nostalgia and bias (I'm sorry I can't help it). Every iconic franchise needs a solid beginning in order to build a successful franchise so I am more than happy to report that the first chapter of this saga is a more than solid one. "Philosopher's Stone" has enjoyable performances by its adult cast (I particularly love Alan Rickman as Snape) while the child actors try their best and they have their moments but overall it's what you expect from child actors, the CGI has aged well, it has tons of creative ideas, the characters actually have personality and go through some character development, the score is possibly John Williams' best work of the 21 century (yes, including the prequels), the story itself isn't quite spectacular but still is filled with solid and creative ideas, the production design is jaw dropping, and its entertainment value is quite high. But regardless of my nostalgia, now I see the problems I didn't when I saw this in theaters. Chris Columbus direction is extremely bland that it feels like the film is on autopilot as he just filmed pages of the book but without adding any new substance (this truly was the perfect project for Terry Gilliam), the script could have use some rewrites as it has many unnecessary scenes that are just there for world building (I get that you need to do that in your first installment of a new world but you can do that on the first act), the ending desperately needed more detail, and it has major pacing issues.

"Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" manages to introduce viewers to a creative world that has capture the imagination of an entire generation (myself included in said generation) and could do the same for the upcoming ones, regardless of the pacing issues. A captivating, charming and highly enjoyable start for a saga that has potential.
November 18, 2016
Interesting to see, a decent family film
½ November 16, 2016
Ein sehr guter Film, der einen tollen Start in das Harry Potter-Franchise bietet. Viel besser hätte man das Buch nicht adaptieren. Da es der erste Teil und damit etwas kinderfreundlich ist, kann er gar nicht so actiongeladen sein, aber das ist ok!

A very good movie, which offers a fantastic start to the Harry Potter Franchise. They almost couldn't adapt the books any better. Because it's the first part, it is mostly for children, but that's fine!

Final Score: 92%
½ November 15, 2016
This first addition is perfect for kids and fans of the book thanks to its creation of the grand, imaginative, and wondrous mythological world. Yet some of the key actors, Daniel Radcliffe included, are rather pathetic. It does not help either that the screenplay is written with a plot-first perspective, rushing past important character-development scenes and crucial world development details. Thankfully, that's all improved upon in the later films.
½ November 14, 2016
In 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone', director Chris Columbus competently introduces the magical world and characters of author J.K. Rowling's best-selling books. The film's detailed set-up and visual stylings take precedence over story here; still, these inexperienced kids act their way through as best they can -- greatly helped by a bevy of veteran support, including Richard Harris, Maggie Smith, Robbie Coltrane and Alan Rickman. Of particular note is John Williams' score and memorable theme, which add proper mood to every scene. A bit over-long, and perhaps too faithfully catered to the concerns of book readers at times, but a solid foundation for the series.
November 14, 2016
In my opinion, this is one of the definitive better films of the series. Perfectly adapts its source material, exactly as I'd envisioned it leaping out of the pages. The casting is superb, the directing is great, the sets are flawless, and the musical score is iconic. What else can I say, except that it's just one of those perfect films that manages to be a perfect adaptation.
November 14, 2016
Made with high production value and faithfulness to the source material, The Sorcerer's Stone is a magical albeit straightforward introduction to Harry Potter, his friends, and the wizarding world
November 12, 2016
Puntaje Original: 8.0

A pesar de unas novatas interpretaciones por parte de sus protagonistas, Harry Potter es sumamente fantástico y genial, capaz de volver fanático a quien sea con solo ver la primera película (si lo se, me pasó a mi).
½ November 12, 2016
The problem is this came out the same year as LOTR, and if it weren't for the already established fan base would have been completely over-shadowed. Lots of wonder and magic drag it over the line.
Page 1 of 2006