Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Reviews

Page 1 of 2010
½ April 24, 2018
This is one of the great movies that i ever watch.This movie
this story tells of an orphan boy who has magic. his mother and father had died when he was still a baby. A powerful good sorcerer named dumbledore took him to be guarded by a family. The family treated him cruelly, and used the property left by his parents for him. one day, he got a call to enter a school called Hogwarts. He went there with the help of Hagrid. In his journey he met his two best friends Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley. The three of them were in the same team of Gryffindor. Quiddicth, Harry was the youngest seeker of the century. He had won the game. His name became increasingly popular, one day the three of them found out about The Stone Philosophers controlled by three-headed dogs. to those who use it. The three of them have managed to get past the door and continue their journey to find the stone. To go beyond the next door, they have to play magical chess. they have won the game. Harry has met Professor Quirrel and he knows that evil quirrel. He managed to fight with quirrel and win. Finally, the stone was removed for security.
April 24, 2018
My favourite series and possible favourite book of all time are the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.

Before I write this review can I just say that I'm not a fantasy reader. If I was given 10 to spend on a book I would automatically head for the horror, sci-fi or thriller sections so the fact that Harry Potter is fantasy just shows how amazing the books are!

The first book is Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. The story starts with Number 4 Privet Drive about a boy called Harry Potter who lives in the cupboard under the stairs of a house owned by Mr and Mrs Dursley with their overly spoiled son called Dudley. In the fist quarter of the book it shows how Harry begins to receive letters which are addressed to him, in his cupboard and at the top of the letter a crest show the letters S,G,R AND H embellished with a snake, a griffin, an eagle and a badger. Even though this alone sounds mysterious Mr and Mrs Dursley don't allow him to read the letters and will go to any length to stop him. As the book progresses The Dursleys go away to a hut in the middle of the ocean to ensure no letters can arrive, but at midnight (before Harry's birthday) a giant of a man, later on to be recognised as Hagrid, bursts in and tells Harry he's a wizard! Hagrid also tells Harry how he came to live at Privet Drive as his parents were murdered by the Dark Lord, Lord Voldemort. He also gives Harry the letter he had been hoping for for weeks it includes a letter to say that Harry will be attending Hogwarts school for Witchcraft and Wizardry and a list of essentials for his year ahead.

Sign up for Bookmarks: discover new books our weekly email
Hagrid also informs Harry that he will have to catch the Hogwarts express which is located at King's Cross at platform 9 and 3/4. When arriving at King's Cross Harry soon realises that there is no platform 9 and 3/4, or at least that is visible. Then Harry meets what is going to be his second family, The Weasleys with 7 children, the youngest boy being Ronald Weasley who will soon become Harry's best friend for life. When they arrive at Hogwarts the first years wait to be sorted by the sorting hat. Harry and Ron are both placed in Griffindor to the delight of the other Weasley children currently attending Hogwarts. (The other houses are Slytherin, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff.)

As the year goes on at Hogwarts Harry and Ron attain a new best friend for life by the name of Hermione Granger and to the end of the year they have to all three face a battle against the dark Lord!
The film has inspired me to learn magic. The film also has many suspensory parts and makes me interested in learning magic. Hermione is very beautiful and she is an excellent student at Hogwart School. Harry Potter has two close friends, Hermione and Harry Potter has been patient as long as he was with his uncle's family because he was often beaten by them. His mother and father had died since he was a child.
April 24, 2018
wow, this harry potter movie is very impressive and captivating youthful spirit.This movie also gives us many lessons. We love the characters in this movie, including harry potter, hermione granger, ron weasley and professor mcgonagall. this is performed by hollywood actress daniel radcliffe, emma watson, rupert grint, and maggie smith. The characters in this movie have a great variety of magic power that can not be denied. The film is also funny and cheerful of the audience. This story tells about the young witches who are studying at the sorcerer's school of hogwarts school of wizards. we hope that such stories will be released again in the future.
April 24, 2018
This movie have most of values example friendship and bravery..
The best movie that i watch..many action in this movie,AMAZING??.harry potter main the big characters..the most interesting film I have ever seen. It has many values ??that I can get through this film for example the value of compassionate friendship and many more values. A fantasy-themed story is very interesting to watch all walks of life around the world.This movie tells of harry potter who had died parents when he was child while still struggling to survive.The film also originally told about the harry potter who became a paycheck in his uncle's home who used the harry's parents' wealth for their own pleasure. The patience of a very high degree of self in harry potter shows himself an independent though always considered a paycheck.Thanks
March 29, 2018
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is a family friendly, faitthful adaptation of J.K. Rowling's classic novel, and its characters are iconic and its story is well-known, even though the effects and action are the worst of the franchise.
March 25, 2018
Overall, despite the missing elements from the original book, and the not so decent CGI elements, the film still introduces the world to magic, wizardry and most of all, the story of Harry Potter. So because of this, I would rate the film a 7.5/10.
March 18, 2018
Fantastic prologue, super story, very good actora.
½ March 15, 2018
This film was really brilliant. The film was a great adaptation of the book that didn't miss a lot of information and the acting of Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson were really brilliant, considering they were just kids at the time.
½ February 26, 2018
A warm and glowy comfort film.
February 23, 2018
I LOVED THIS MOVIE SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) ;):):):)::)::):):):)P)P)):):)
February 18, 2018
Not a Harry Potter fan however I think this movie is pretty good even if the CGI is little dated and a little to bloody long all though any movie with this many child actors that are not awfull is quite impressive
½ February 17, 2018
A faithful and magical start to a special franchise. Exceptional production, music and performances serve a heartfelt, sumptuous cinematic feast to audiences of all ages. Pace fluctuates only a little.
February 12, 2018
(84/100)
A fun setup to the franchise. CG was a bit dodgy sometimes, but it is 2001 so I didn't expect much. Dialogue was also a bit dodgy.
½ February 6, 2018
Cinematography/Editing: 4
Age/Originality: 2
Total: 17/25
½ January 29, 2018
nearly as entertaining as the book, with a couple scares
½ January 22, 2018
Strengths: When adapting a book to a film, keeping the essence of the source material is crucial. Chris Columbus and company succeeded there with the first Harry Potter film. He was a great choice for the early movies, as he nailed the more light hearted feel of these installments. It's quite the enchanting start and all the characters are given great introductions. You feel for Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), laugh at Ron (Rupert Grint), get annoyed but charmed by Hermione (Emma Watson) and are the perfect blend of suspicious and intrigued by Snape (Alan Rickman). By the way, Rickman and Maggie Smith (McGonagall) were seemingly born to play their respective roles. John Williams does a great job with the score, as well. The wizard chess scene, time in front of the mirror, and trek through Diagon Alley were all standout scenes. I also really liked how attention was paid to giving us a look at various aspects of Hogwarts and Qudditch.

Weaknesses: Though a few things look great, some of the effects weren't up to expectations for a movie with this kind of budget. The scene with the keys near the end looks particularly rough. As was some of Harry's time in the Quidditch game. The stakes also probably weren't high enough in the trials the kids faced. They beat the devil's snare and key room with relative ease. Some of that is on JK Rowling, but more tension could've been added to the film version. Instead, it all felt too easy. Though I appreciated the look at the magical world, some of it could've been cut to make it so the movie didn't last as long as it did. Towards the end, there was a sense of it dragging on.

Overall: Better than Chamber of Secrets to me, though behind the rest of the films in the series. It works as a way to setup this massive universe and does well in aiming towards children. There are issues with effects, the length and some of the conflict near the end, but this was a satisfying first installment. It's wonderfully faithful to the source material and has a heart of gold.
January 22, 2018
This movie is the first movie in the franchise and has a lot of great moments. I think in every series of movies there is one or two moments in each movie that stand out and are amazing. In this movie it's Wizards Chess and the troll. This movie does have its problems however in my opinion. The biggest one is the fact that it feels like nothing is going, the worst thing is that there seems to be very limited use of magic from the students in this movie especially in later films like the 4th and 5th movie. That is my only major flaw with this movie and it definitively started one of the best film franchises ever made.
January 20, 2018
Enjoyable film based on JK Rowling's fantastical world of wizards. Good story, well acted, especially by the marquee players, that moves along at an engaging clip. Overly simplistic in that you never get the sense that anyone is in real danger, so the movie just piles on with abandon the magic, interesting creatures and fantastical scenes/perils. Also, I take it down a bit for the Matrix-complex of The One, though they are much more obvious from right out of the gate how special Harry Potter is going to be. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the films.
January 18, 2018
A great beginning to a movie series that everyone seems to enjoy. The acting is great and the setting is presented with a great sense of wonder.
Page 1 of 2010