Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Page 1 of 2008
June 19, 2017
Harry Potter series is awesome
June 16, 2017
A mild, but satisfying YA novel adaptation tat started the most important book franchise ever that will span many other YA franchises who will fail to top this one for a while.
½ June 11, 2017
Pretty good first film. Some effects don't hold up that well though.
June 5, 2017
Second favourite of the franchise
½ June 1, 2017
Child actors that aren't terrible? Sign me up.
June 1, 2017
The first film is satisfactory. The casting is very well done and grounds this saga.
½ May 25, 2017
Came back to this after probably 10 years. It is SO much better than I realized as a kid. The music and visuals are especially arresting and really create a fantastical world.
May 23, 2017
want to see to baldly but ... cant wait to see
May 15, 2017
The first film in the Harry Potter franchise to this day remains one of the most enjoyable and magical films in the series and one of the best grand scale blockbusters of the last 20 years. The direction is perfectly mysterious and sinister whilst being wondrous and innocent at the same time. While the performances from the younger cast members are mostly solid, a few lines here and there definitely could be delivered better but luckily the script brilliantly fleshes out the characters and the chemistry is on point and the same goes for the entire cast - the casting is absolutely perfect. As a film it delivers as a set up and as its own self contained adventure, besides some meandering in the second act and the speedy timeline, the Philosopher's Stone is almost a beat by beat adaption of the book, leaving out and tweaking one or two sequences for the sake of run time. It has aged a little but overall there is no doubt that this is solid film for all ages that is an essential watch for people who have not seen it. Also can't forget that John Williams' score is one the greatest ever.
½ May 4, 2017
Chris Columbus did an outstanding job of bringing the magical world of Harry Potter to the screen. It's a very well-made film, and still my favorite in the series. (First viewing - November 2001 in theaters)
May 1, 2017
The first one was not as good I think the series gets better
April 30, 2017
"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" was a very magical & action-packed adventure, which was indeed very well made.
It was well written by Steve Cloves, well directed by Chris Columbus and brilliantly performed by Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) & Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley).
Which is why I take this as an excellent & worthwhile watch.
April 11, 2017
A magical and cozy family movie, made exceptionally well of J.K Rowlings fantastic book. The tones of the movie is great and the music is amazing.
The kid actors does a descent to good job considering there age and experience. While the more experienced actors are exceptional, they really make their characters their own.
April 9, 2017
No the first Harry Potter movie is definitely dated but at the time of its release it was amazing, now it's a pretty good movie
½ April 4, 2017
A favorite of mine growing up, the first installment of the Harry Potter series is a fun introduction to the wondrous magical world and the fantastic cast. Though a bit too childish now as an adult, The Sorcerer's (or Philosopher's) Stone is still a great way to show the world we are in for seven more films.
½ April 3, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyable. Harry very Likeable. Hagrid amusing. Maggie Smith and Richard Harris excellent. Ron not how I pictured, but very amusing. Tim thinks there's no good villain, but the book's like that too. Loved Snape.
April 2, 2017
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's stone; is an amazing Novel and Film, this is a movie I'll remember for as long as I'm alive and will be one of my favorites!
April 1, 2017
The movie is slow at times and the direction is bland, but it is also so exciting and so much fun at the same time. By far the most book adaption of the movies, a must see!
March 21, 2017
It's been forever since I've seen this movie but it was actually pretty good. I don't think I've ever seen all of the movies so I'm looking forward to finally getting to see them all.
Page 1 of 2008