Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer Reviews

September 17, 2017
All grit and more modern than the horror film peers of its time, but that's about all it's got going for it.
½ September 7, 2017
Dismal and exploitative low-budget "thriller" that will seriously test your ability to stay awake. What little plot there is concerns a trio of deeply uninteresting low-lifes, an incestuously-connected brother and sister and the brother's flatmate Henry, who seems to like murdering people. Hilariously overpraised by a handful of cineastes, it even showcases its very own intrusive John Carpenterish score. Avoid.
September 2, 2017
John McNaughton's disturbing and horrifying foray into the mind of a prolific serial killer and his cohort is a new and welcome move in the horror/slasher genre. Developing a character that is full of dimensions and allowing us to see things through his eyes is both hard to watch and grandly enthralling. Made on a shoestring budget, the film manages to overcome this by incorporating effective camera use and believable minimalist special effects. The deranged caliber raises this to a 10. A must see for true horror aficionados.
April 26, 2017
Depressing and creepy white trash serial killers
April 21, 2017
I Only Like Graphic Violence Only Just Only In R-Rated Movies, TV-MA TV Shows, M-Rated Video Games And Adult Comic Books.
February 24, 2017
An often difficult to take in and fully comprehend character study, the title alone is unnerving.
January 30, 2017
Watching this movie, you feel a lot like Henry in the film. Not necessarily that you're a serial killer, but that you are simply re-watching his own real life home movies of these brutal murders. The whole experience just feels sleazy and unsettling, it feels like you should be watching this in "that theater" down town no one goes to. So if a film can conjure up so much bile just from watching it in your own home, you know the film makers are doing something right.
½ January 2, 2017
Henry was a notorious film that got an NC-17 rating, it is a fictionalised account based on the real life serial killers. It is one of the first films to break away from the typical slasher genre, creating a sub-genre of films about real life serial killers. While it is on a shoestring budget, the special effects were fantastic and the solid acting by Rooker made it all the creepier. Aside from the graphic imagery, the film lacked a compelling plot, though it is succinct and had a nightmarish ending.
December 28, 2016
This film was never going to receive the praise it deserves and probably singlehandedly ruined John McNaughton's career, but I'm one of those in the minority that sees this film as a positive. It feels like a Play the entire time due to the simplistic shots, sparse settings & emotionless dialogue/acting, all crucial to the mindset of these characters (or the low IQ). Michael Rooker is a terrifying. This is true horror.
December 9, 2016
A deep black pit of a film ... beautifully made. One of the best films I know of that I largely understand if someone says they don't like it. Many things raise it above your standard serial killer on the loose film ... the centerpiece of the film has to be Otis & Henry's videotaped home invasion sequence.
½ December 2, 2016
Apart from the solid performances, there's little else to praise in this mediocre film that mistakenly believes that resorting to shocking, purposeless violence is enough to draw what it assumes to be the "portrait of a serial killer," instead of developing his motivations.
May 26, 2016
Disappointing film that feels made for tv and fails to shock with lack of tension, realism and unsuccessful special effects... Acting's decent tho
½ March 22, 2016
Truly disturbing, with out remorse.
March 10, 2016
Solid performances from a young Michael Rooker, and the late Tom Towles drive this honest, brutal and disturbing look at the life of a serial killer. In a decade full of mindless teen slashers, this is a welcome relief. One of the best horror flicks of the decade, it holds its own almost thirty years later. Honest and methodical, this flick does not shy away from its subject matter, nor does it revel in its gore. Truly a great watch.
March 3, 2016
I came in watching this movie and expecting Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer to be a disturbing film. While it wasn't quite as disturbing as I thought it was, it's still a disturbing enough film that would shock the audience. Michael Rooker is very good of acting like a normal person while being crazy also. The theme song is very creepy, and it's new to see a killer train someone. The chemistry between Henry and Otis's sister is nice, even if it is unsettling to see what Henry has done throughout the movie. The dark comedy is pretty funny because of the stupid moments Otis has, and there are some very disturbing moments in here, no doubt about it. The characters are scary memorable, and the film is interesting enough to get me entertained, and a bit disturbed.
½ January 3, 2016
Still a better love story than Twilight.
½ November 1, 2015
Very very good. I'm quite speechless. Michael Rooker was brilliant.
October 13, 2015
A very raw and violent deception of a serial killer. Perhaps too realistic because the life of a serial killer between killings isn't all that interesting. But when spit hits the fan it will have your attention.
July 22, 2015
Not the best serial killer movie I've seen (with two of my favourites being Zodiac starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Dahmer starring Jeremy Renner), but considering this is one of the first mainstream serial killer films, it did well. Many of the scenes involving violence were dark and gave me an intense feeling in my heart. You can really feel the thrill that the main character gives you with his changing emotions. Overall, the film's acting wasn't very good and the feel of the movie was slightly trashy. Some of the scene also didn't make sense to even exist and I felt they were there just to make the movie longer. The cinematography was nothing new. My final thoughts of this movie are that this films as a little overrated and could have been executed better, but overall was a decent movie and I guess I'd say I enjoyed it.
July 22, 2015