-b The Golden Compass - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Golden Compass Reviews

½ October 14, 2016
The film deserves props for trying to stay faithful to the books, but because of that it suffers with rushed pace. There is also this very weird decision to end without any resolution and completely omit the last chapter of the book, where some real distressing things happen and could make the film better. I will still say it's a good adaptation with the portrayal of Lyra and Lee Scoresby being the biggest highlight ... right after the special effects of course. Oh, and Eva Green. Oh, Eva.
September 3, 2016
Amazing. Truly a masterpiece. Deserves a sequel.
August 7, 2016
Did the makers of the film even read/understand His Dark Materials?! Philip Pullman's trilogy could have been fantastic films, but I don't even know where you were going with this. The casted characters look nothing like the literary characters and the story doesn't even try to stick near to Pullman's story, which is emotional brilliance. This was devastating.
July 25, 2016
I did not like this movie than i used to.
It just got boring!

Score: 4.5/10
½ June 27, 2016
I've never read the book so I really have nothing to compare it to. Certainly an all-star British cast is involved in this. I think had I not read an article in Entertainment Weekly I might be more in the dark. On the surface this film is terribly cute and I think its target audience is much younger than me. Young Lyra achieves her daunting task of freeing her friendly neighborhood children from being severed from their daemons but from there she has another task to complete and the ending kind of leaves you hanging. In my opinion they could have ended it earlier. Sam Elliot was pretty awesome in this flick. In their parallel universe he plays a cowboy with a jackrabbit daemon. Excellent. One thing I didn't understand is why are Christians so in an uproar about this movie? You really have to read the entire book series or companion articles to fully grasp the religious undertones. Again what's the be angry about? I leave this one up to you. I thought it was cute. Maybe I'll pick up the books.
½ June 3, 2016
Very different from the book which hurts it in some people's minds, but still an enjoyable watch in its own right.
½ May 29, 2016
The Golden Compass is a good, enjoyable film. Not great but not terrible. It's fun to watch weather you've read Northern Lights or not (to an extent).
The visuals are jaw dropping (literally) and it's one of the most beautiful looking films I've seen. The casting was perfect (particularly Kidman, Elliott and McKellen), the music was great (mostly Kate Bush's 'Lyra') and the settings were nice too.
But I'd still be lying that there weren't elements that put this movie down. Some changes were either unnecessary or worse except maybe from changing the bear fight and the battle of Bangar to be the finale was good as it makes for a more interesting climax. The end also kinda was a bit of a letdown; not because it wasn't faithful to the novels ending but because it set up a sequel that sadly never happened. I really wanted to see it.
Overall, it's a decent film to watch every now and then and I really wish the Catholic Church didn't scare NLC and forced Chris Weitz to cut the final product (which was 45 minutes longer) just because it had anti-religious theme that could have the film loss money. Never mind. The BBC is making a TV show based on the books and maybe it'll do the series justice.
I give The Golden Compass 3 and a half stars out of 5.
March 2, 2016
Apparently, these books are quite anti-Christian, but I may end up watching this and/or reading them to see for myself...
½ February 7, 2016
I never write reviews but don't watch this movie. It is supposed to be a trilogy but it didn't make enough money so nothing came of the sequels. The movie ends with none of the plot elements wrapped up and the characters on an airship on their way to continue the story (literally), which is NEVER coming. It's like watching a movie only to know before watching it that it will end halfway through and leave you knowing nothing of the end or any sense of finality?
January 1, 2016
Personally, I always thought of this film as a dumb, impotent Narnia clone when it was new, and nearly a decade later, it certainly hasn't aged well at all. I haven't exactly read the book this is based on, but I've heard dozens of complaints saying that the book toned down several of the anti-religious elements of the books in order to avoid angering the Catholics. I can certainly tell that the plot was written very lazily, and it seems that they tried fitting in all manner of plot devices, events and characters in a film that's clearly too short to handle everything. On top of that, the film is paced in such a manner that it seems as though everything's being rushed, and it leaves too little time for the characters to develop properly, and bodes just as poorly for the many unanswered questions that the film's haphazardly written plot leaves behind. To be completely honest though, the film's mythology could have been quite interesting, and there might have been some hope for it had the screenwriters made more of an effort, but they settled on a trimmed down, by-the-numbers fantasy flick, and to make matters worse, they deliberately designed the ending so that it could lead on to a sequel, never mind that it would never ever get a sequel, not that such a meagre film deserves one. The characters weren't overly bad, but they were written in such a way that you can't really feel for them no matter how hard the actors try to convince us to feel for them. It doesn't help that there's no sense of moral ambiguity whatsoever. You can immediately tell who is good and who is evil just by looking at the characters. I could just as easily make the argument that you could tell who the villains were just by looking at the poster. Nothing is left to your imagination, and that I feel is a serious problem, and is not conducive to good fantasy fiction. To compensate for all that, the film sports some admittedly decent special effects, but worryingly enough, the film is almost all special effects, and so the CGI effectively becomes the producers' way of overcompensating for a poorly written film that, if were very honest, was simply trying to copy the kind of success that The Lord of the Rings enjoyed years earlier. Of course, the visuals and the special effects are pretty much the only noteworthy thing about the film, and that's because they're the only thing the film has to show for itself aside from what I can guess is a bad transition from book to screen. Clearly they should have put more thought and effort into this film, because if they had, this could have been somewhat better than all the other LoTR clones that had sprung up throughout the 2000's. Instead, we have a film that is quite slavish in its copying of other fantasy films. Whatever potential the film could have had is ultimately snuffed out by its lack of originality and the laziness of its producers.
December 25, 2015
Yay!!! i'm so excited!!! loved the books and pullman's geniusness! Nicole Kidman is the perfect person for the role XD
½ December 1, 2015
Yeah, some great visuals here and there, but all in all, a complete franchise failure in and of itself! Lyra is one of the worst child protagonists I have ever seen on film, and actress Dakota Blue Richards had crucified her future in playing in movies ever since!
What else is wrong with this movie?...........oh yeah, of course! IT'S BLASPHEMOUS, AND HERESY! Trying really hard to prove that Christianity is a load of bull crap, just makes me laugh out loud, I mean, please!
Is it just me, or does Nicole Kidman look very creepy? Is that actress trying to give me nightmares? Yeah, compared to the book, her character was very weak.
As for the rest? Well, the polar bear fight was cool, but, that's not saying much for the entire film! PASS!~
½ November 28, 2015
Too complicated for kids and too cheesy for adults. Could have been good, but the pacing is way off, and the non-ending was so sure there would be a sequel that the films feels woefully unfinished.
November 27, 2015
the only good things about it were daniel craig and the interesting concept
½ November 25, 2015
I laughed more than half of the movie since from beginning to end the characters spoke too epicly for everything
November 20, 2015
A poor lead character, bland story telling and bad performances make even the impressive visuals hard to bear.
½ November 13, 2015
I really, really liked the movie; I saw it a long time ago, so don't remember exactly why I fell for it, but was rooting for them to make a sequel with the same cast).
½ November 2, 2015
I never read any of the books before seeing this, Which is probably why I'm giving this a higher grade than most people who watched it. What I hear the books explore many mature themes of religion and free will. I couldn't really find any of that in the film. It was basically a fantasy with a repeated story and big special effects. It wasn't really bad for me it was just uninteresting.
I might read the books later. But this film is just a generic fantasy.
October 6, 2015
People are generally too stupid to be more curious about metaphysics than what's buzzing in on their iPhone... This movie only failed by overestimating the intelligences - and actual curiosity, a dying human quality - of its audience.
September 29, 2015
Nice visuals with a dog crap story makes me wish I missed this adventure.