Hopscotch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hopscotch Reviews

February 15, 2016
A truly brilliant film in every way. Script, Acting, plot, filmography, casting. Walter Matthou and Glenda Jackson,.
½ September 18, 2014
"Hopscotch" was unexpectedly good. Walter Matthau's dry humor is the perfect fit for this off-beat comedy. I had trouble envisioning this international game of cat-and-mouse as a comedy but the constant situational irony and Matthau's wit creates humorous moments from start to finish. A good film requires a good villain, and Ned Beatty fits the bill. It is easy to dislike Beatty with his constant flow of profane dialogue and unnecessarily rude treatment of Matthau at the beginning of the film, all leading to gleeful enjoyment of every scene inside of the Georgia home. While the film has a lot of great moments, the plot is rather farfetched and some of the acting falls short of the high standard set by Matthau and Beatty. I definitely prefer heist films, but this espionage comedy is unlike any story that I've seen and I would definitely give it a second watch.
September 17, 2014
A breezy, silly little spy comedy. Mathau is good like usual.
December 11, 2013
I enjoyed it but do not need to see it again. It was funny to have old Matthau outwitting all of the CIA and KGB with silly pranks and tricks.
Isaac
October 25, 2013
Though it's aged a bit awkwardly in an era where espionage films are expected to deliver thrills, Hopscotch remains an amusing comedy bolstered considerably by the presence of Walter Matthau.
½ September 15, 2013
Its all very silly, but still entertaining. I can't help but enjoy something that makes our intelligence organizations look like a bunch of bumbling idiots. Matthau is great, as is the score which consists of random Mozart, Puccini, and Rossini selections.
April 21, 2013
Lovely way to spend an evening.
½ March 30, 2013
Entertaining. This movie was recommended to me by a guy that had worked in the field . Said it comes closest to the realities of the espionage business.
March 20, 2013
One of the all time best movies? Me gusta 2 think so.. =)
February 23, 2013
"Hopscotch" is a terrifically amusing film with a terrific performance by Walter Matthau.
December 9, 2012
Filmed in a straightforward yet whimsical style that bypasses action in favor of clever plotting, "Hopscotch" is one of the better films of its kind. There are chases, but they occur mainly off-screen. What we see are dialogues in offices instead of actual action (excluding a hilarious scene where a house is unwittingly shot up), which makes the film feel more professional. Walter Matthau is solid in his role and handles the comedic elements of his character quite well, and Sam Waterston, Ned Beatty and Glenda Jackson provide adequate support. "Hopscotch" is light on thrills, but it's delightful and easy to swallow.
½ November 8, 2012
Hopscotch (Ronald Neame, 1980)

What happens when the CIA decides to put a longtime, successful, high-powered spy out to pasture because he's getting old? That's a question that's been dealt with many times (usually in Robert Ludlum-esque cold war thrillers), but never so amusingly as in Ronald Neame's 1980 film Hopscotch which, in the age of Valerie Plame and the media dimwits who outed her, is‚"as is more and more often the case with political flicks we found absurd-yet-compelling in the seventies (viz. The Conversation)‚"even more relevant today than it was thirty-two years ago.

Miles Kendig (The Bad News Bears' Walter Matthau) has flipped from the ‚asset‚? side of the balance sheet to the ‚liability‚? side, as far as his boss, Myerson (Deliverance's Ned Beatty) is concerned. And for Miles, the feeling's mutual‚"he's fed up with the incompetence of Myerson and his new flunkie, Cutter (Law and Order's Sam Waterston). In order to show them just how incompetent they are, he issues them a challenge: prevent him from writing a tell-all memoir that will expose reams of highly classified information, not to mention how horribly it's handled by the CIA, the KGB, etc. And thus begins Miles' last great spy game.

Perhaps the movie's most surprising note is that the romance subplot (and I use the term ‚romance‚? loosely here; Matthau and Glenda Jackson behave more like an old married couple) doesn't feel in any way forced in a movie that really has no place for a romance subplot. Neame and Brian Garfield (Death Wish), adapting his own novel, take enough of a slice-of-life approach in between the car chases and stuff blowing up that it works. (Imagine a romance subplot in, say, Ronin and you'll see just how ludicrous the idea is.) And that's a great example of what a surprise this movie is decades later; with the cold war long over and most of the countries mentioned in the film as enemies now considered our allies, this should feel as dated as a Bell Telephone commercial, and yet it still pops. Ronald Neame, who died in 2010 at the ripe old age of 99, was nominated for three Oscars in his career, all in the forties‚"twice for writing (both times for David Lean films) and once for special effects. Hopscotch is a very good case that some of Neame's directorial work should perhaps have been more closely scrutinized by the Academy. *** ¬ 1/2
October 15, 2012
It had a lot of character.
October 8, 2012
It maybe a little slow for kids - but you can't beat this spy/chase movie.
July 4, 2012
Hilarious and refined!
June 12, 2012
I love this movie!!!
June 11, 2012
good spy drama that harkens back 2 70's movies with crazy names like ipcriss files etc.
½ May 29, 2012
Great fun....Matthau is superb, Glenda Jackson is wonderful and Herbert Lom (of Pink Panther/Sellers series fame) is good as the Ruske spy. Light and entertaining.
½ May 17, 2012
A fun and breezy spy comedy with old people. Ronald Neame just lets his actors have fun in front of the camera.
½ March 7, 2012
Walter Matthau as a sixty year old James Bond-esque CIA spy put out to pasture? They talk about suspension of belief when watching something like Star Wars. But this! Matthau? Really?? He pulled it off but it's Walter Matthau!!!