Hudson Hawk Reviews

• Mar 22, 2021

There is ridiculous, and then there is Hudson Hawke

There is ridiculous, and then there is Hudson Hawke

• Jan 16, 2021

For a movie whose production involved egos running rampart two decades before Bruce Willis became a shell of his former self and being a disliked box-office bomb...this totally-not-a-live-action-adaptation-of-Lupin-III action comedy is really not that bad. With fun zany acting, hilarious absurdist comedy and really fun over-the-top cartoony action sequences, Hudson Hawk is stupid but I'd be lying if I wouldn't be saying, as somebody who's seeing this movie for the first time at the time I'm writing this, that I consider this movie to be a guilty pleasure that might even have been ahead of its time. It's not perfect but it is much more fun than people back in 1991 gave it credit for, though the advertising giving more prominence to the action might have had something to do with that. My advice is know what you're getting into and you just might have a blast watching this action comedy that'll definitely get permanently vindicated by history once Hollywood announces an actual live-action Lupin III movie.

• Dec 25, 2020

marketed as a action thriller but actually a delightful comedy

marketed as a action thriller but actually a delightful comedy

• Aug 03, 2020

Easily the worst movie of the 90s. It was a box office bomb.

Easily the worst movie of the 90s. It was a box office bomb.

• Aug 03, 2020

One of my all time favorites. Just a delightful comedy, Bruce Willis at his best.

• Jul 23, 2020

To say that this film is crazy and silly from start to finish is an absolute understatement. Hudson Hawk (Bruce Willis) and Tommy Five-Tone (Danny Aiello) are cat burglars who are blackmailed on a mission to steal Renaissance artifacts that contain diamonds. These diamonds are used to resurrect a Da Vinci alchemical machine that turns basic metals into gold. Of course, Hudson Hawk combines elements of tongue-and-cheek dark humor, Hope and Crosby adventure comedies, surreal humor, cartoony slapstick humor, and screwball comedy. However, a good chunk of why the movie doesn't work is because the humor doesn't impact the story at all or lead to anywhere, like the writers are presenting every over-the-top joke in a desperate attempt to grab the audience's attention or make them laugh. Worst of all, the writers wave their keys so often that it leaves no room for the movie to pause, breathe, and examine character, so the viewers are kept out of the movie's environment. Also, almost every minor character, including The Mayflowers (Richard E. Grant and Sandra Bernhard), Sister Anna (Andie MacDowell), the Mario Brothers (Frank Stallone and Carmine Zozzara), and CIA head George Kaplan (James Coburn) and his candy-named agents, are absolute hams, up to a point where they distract from the plot and jokes. To add insult to injury, no one seems to have a reason to behave that way, so the humor falls even flatter than before. It's actually a shame because I wanted to like this movie, as the out-of-context clips I saw before viewing weren't too bad and earned me a chuckle. However, in context, Hudson Hawk, while not without charm and with some impressive stunts, is all about behavior and restless humor, all without structure or meaning. (1 ½ Da Vinci Horse Sculptures out of 5)

• Jul 10, 2020

Completely unwatchable.

Completely unwatchable.

• Jul 06, 2020

If you can't enjoy a good slapstick you shouldn't review this movie. This is a movie for people who understand FUN, and can't be bothered by the many genre transitions the movie does. It is in many regards an old style adventure/slapstick comedy. But what can you expect of movie critics...?

• Jun 05, 2020

I mean... you had to be there. Just something about this movie has always amused me greatly :P

• Apr 23, 2020

Hudson Hawk is trash. But it is so brilliantly bad that it is enjoyable. It is obvious that everyone involved is enjoying themselves, which makes it oddly enjoyable to watch.