The Human Stain Reviews

• May 09, 2019

i didn't believe anthony hopkins to be a black man. Thus the flashbacks to his youth with his biological black family felt like a different movie. This is where it falls apart. Somewhere closer to the 30 minute mark. You spend another 20 minutes after that confused. ...Enjoying the disjointed past and present parts of the movie in and of themselves but thinking someone is playing tricks on you and actually spliced together 2 different movies. The last 20-30 minutes are anti-climatic as all can be. As by then nothing happens that really hasn't already happened or been said. The acting is good enough. But the parts don't all fit together. btw, even if you can believe Anthony Hopkins to actually be a black man, which I couldn't, it doesn't feel like the movie needs him to be one. The fact he was wrongly fired because of overzealous political correctness and his wife passed away partly due to this aggravating some condition of hers was more than enough to buy into the anger he had. To suddenly have this whole Anthony Hopkins is actually a black man back story dropped onto your lap was a light switch flick you don't see coming and not in a good way. But in a, did I accidentally change the channel sort of way because this doesn't feel like the same story.

• Aug 02, 2018

Thought because if the actors and setting this would be ok. Its not. Miserable to sit through. Two story lines that don’t tie into one another whatsoever.

• Nov 25, 2016

A pretty good soap opera.

A pretty good soap opera.

• May 19, 2016

Even though Hopkins & Kiddman are some of my favorites.Due to the characters and plot this was impossible to sit thru.

• Mar 03, 2016

great movie, such amazing acting

great movie, such amazing acting

• Feb 17, 2016

I think you'd make a great boxer. A former college dean, now teacher, has been called racist due to a term he used in class and asked to step down. During his retirement, he meets a troubled woman who sleeps with him and unveils a turbulent past. While hearing her story, he digs into his own demons on how he got where he is today. "If you're looking for sympathy, you've come to the wrong place. I don't do sympathy." Robert Benton, director of Bad Company, Kramer vs. Kramer, Still of the Night, Twilight, Nobody's Fool, Nadine, Places in the Heart, and Feast of Love, delivers The Human Stain. The storyline for this picture is very compelling and unfolds well. I loved the subplots and how everything comes together. The acting is also very good and the cast includes Nicole Kidman, Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris, Wentworth Miller, Kerry Washington, and Jacinda Barrett. "What's it like fucking an old man?" "It was perfect. No surprises." I came across this film on Netflix and had to add it to my queue since I had never heard of it. This was excellent and I enjoyed it thoroughly. This wasn't Silence of the Lambs good, but it does have an intense and unique plot that comes together perfectly. I recommend seeing this once. "Give up the girl, Achilles." Grade: A-

• Jan 09, 2016

deeply moving much better than most reviews but not all

deeply moving much better than most reviews but not all

• Jan 05, 2016

The gut wrenching later scene between young Coleman and his mother is beautiful and emotional pay-dirt. "You're white as snow but you act like a slave." That scene alone makes me recommend this film. Plus the soundtrack is lovely.

• Oct 08, 2015

its an ok nicole kidman movie not the best however

its an ok nicole kidman movie not the best however

• Aug 30, 2015

I probably would have awarded this only 2 1/2 stars if not for the excellent acting of Sir Anthony Hopkins.