Human Traffic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Human Traffic Reviews

½ May 29, 2016
Bit painful in parts, but others surprisingly accurate. If you know what I mean then you'll know what I mean. ;)
March 8, 2016
One of the best movies of all time. Watch it with the sound cranked up to the max.
February 7, 2016
gr8 movie awesome music some of my faves
January 23, 2016
I've watched this film every few years since its release in 1999. I'm now 41 years old and not only still find it really good fun with an awesome soundtrack of the day, but one of the few brilliant nostalgia pieces taking us back to the dance and party culture of the day. It's certainly aimed at a particular audience. It's a film you need to relate to to get the most out of it. I know many people who hate it. It has its faults. Neat and contrived over such a short timespan. But to condense years and years of dance culture, vaguely addressing the paranoias we had, but keeping it fun and positive, into a single weekend captures pretty much the feeling of the time. Lots of reviews at the time said we would all be embarrassed by it in the future. It stands the test if time in my opinion. A record of a time and a film I will revisit for years to come. Can't wait to show my kids in 18 years or so. And Egg from Walking Dead is in it.
½ November 17, 2015
Definitely one of the better party movies I have seen. It came highly recommended and didn't disappoint. It had a Trainspotting feel to it with a splash of Clerks, very independent, very 1990s, very British. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it. Funny side note, as I was watching it I kept seeing this actor that looked familiar and finally I said to myself, "Is that Andrew Lincoln?" It was, it was fun to see Rick Grimes himself as a young British raver.
½ July 22, 2015
I think the best part with this one is the soundtrack. Awsome soundtrack! Remember I used to listen to it all the time back in the day.
June 1, 2015
An absolute classic. If you have ever been into underground clubs and dance music, this movie will bring back a flood of great memories
May 25, 2015
"The weekend has landed..."

This movie (a writer/director debut I believe) focuses on a group of five friends Jip (John Simm), Lulu (Lorraine Pilkington), Nina (Nicola Reynolds), Koop (Shaun Parkes) and Moff (Danny Dyer). Here we have been invited to join them on a 48 hour trip into the club culture of the naughty nineties.

Set in Cardiff we experience our new friend's everyday problems ranging from sexual paranoia, possessive behaviour and family issue. We see how they slave through their boring, soul crushing Monday-Friday jobs in pursuit of the ultimate buzz of the weekend which for them is their escape from it all those drug fuelled nights of freedom. Human Traffic gives us a view of the club culture from the club youths perspective with Pete Tong supplying the soundtrack which helps creating the right tempo for the movie.

The quirkiness is what I liked most about Human Traffic as well as the originality of it all. The cinematography was used to portray the characters inner most thoughts/feelings (Cinema and clothes store scene in particular) I loved these! I really enjoyed being in the characters heads and the way these scenes were shot really translated their feelings across well. With laughs constant throughout (my personal favourite is the Star Wars discussion, this had me laughing out loud) and joyfully quotable scenes! I do wonder as to how this hadn't crossed my radar before.

To me though I feel it's important for the audience to get some closure at the end of a film, I didn't like the fact I was introduced to these likable characters and shown their everyday problems but not actually see them over coming or falling to them. The movie just ended abruptly without giving me any closure.

½ March 18, 2015
Great movie, hasn't aged that well though.
May 27, 2014
Never gets old, an absolute classic with electrifying personality and style. After watching this film it's impossible not to want to head out for a night of adventure with your favourite people. Gold.
½ April 10, 2014
if ya did it ....ya get it ;-)
½ February 17, 2014
A fast-paced and affectionate portrayal of the 1990s Rave scene, Human Traffic follows a weekend in the lives of a bunch of 20 somethings out on the town in Cardiff. Anyone who was part of that culture will recognise the characters and settings as being stereotypical but nonetheless well observed. There's a particularly good soundtrack made up of some of the biggest club hits of the era which adds effectively to the atmosphere and the scenes set in the clubs and parties are realistically portrayed. Looking back on it now, it is scary to see quite how young both John Simm and Danny Dyer look but they, together with the rest of the cast fit the bill perfectly. I like the directing style of Justin Kerrigan, who also wrote the movie and crops up in a minor role and it's a shame he hasn't really done much else. There's quite a simple plot line weaving throughout, involving best friends who should really be lovers but this is well handled and rather touching. All in all, an enjoyable, lighthearted and in places genuinely funny film that documents a great sub-culture of British life.
February 10, 2014
Add a Review (Optional)
December 8, 2013
one of my favorite films ever!
September 22, 2013
Brilliant. plus you get to see Danny Dyer BEFORE he turned into a complete cunt hole.
½ May 28, 2013
not as good as it could have been. They tryed to show a drug movie where the p[eople using the drugs arnt fucked up junkies, they just like to party. I liked that idea but unfortunatly there isnt really any plot and the movie seems pointless.
½ March 24, 2013
Made it through 30 minutes before it got the big heave ho. Shame because I like John Simm, bit too bangin' for me.
½ March 9, 2013
A stupid film that kid stupid film about young boys' life. Good soundtrack
½ January 20, 2013
Moderately entertaining.
BG Movie Reviews
½ January 17, 2013
I'm not gonna lie... This is one very bizarre film. I picked this one up purely because I'd looked at it in shops before, and never actually bothered to watch it, and when offered a free film, one does not simply say no.

John Simm, Danny Dyer, and others go together for a night out going out of their mind on every drug in the book. They hate their jobs, and they need a release. So what do they do? They get out and enjoy themselves!

Although the plot is very week, the direction seems to put the viewer in the shoes of a hallucinating drug addict, with scenes shifting between reality, and mental fantasies that spring up to explain metaphors or similes, as well as a sing-a-long version of the new National Anthem of England!

Hilarious comments such as "I decided to take heroine after watching the film Trainspotting!" and "Star Wars was all about junkies!" float all over the place, promising laughter all over the place. The cast works well together, and play their parts fantastically. John Simm especially fits the role fantastically, while showing the negative effects that drugs can bring, and how he tries to overcome it.

While the film as a whole isn't really saying "don't do drugs, they're bad for you!", it does have a similar message to the book A Clockwork Orange (the edition with the 21st chapter, which I gather is not available for our American friends (but I could be wrong)), which says that we do loads of bad things or harmful things when we're young, but as time goes by we will all grow out of those habits.

This message, combined with the humour of it all makes the film well worth watching. I hadn't seen a club film before, but I can tell that if they are all like this, it will be the first of many I will hope to watch.