I Am Sam - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Sam Reviews

December 5, 2016
if you give love to a person when is growing up ,is very difficult to become a bad people! Pfeiffer is beautiful!!!
½ September 5, 2016
Cried within 15 mins of this film.
July 26, 2016
An important subject marred by a silly, overlong screenplay.
½ July 21, 2016
A touching movie that had me in tears. This type of movie feels like everyone will lose and I'm glad that didn't really happen. But at the same time, it's a bit idealistic. Love the soundtrack though.
½ June 19, 2016
bloody crap m8 get life
½ June 5, 2016
Sean penn's performance and his chemistry with Fanning gets 4 stars fro, me. The film as a whole gets 2 and half stars. It's horribly edited, irritating score (except when the scenes get emotional, those parts were decent) some unbelievable characters, and, a plot that is WAY too dragged out.
June 5, 2016
While it does have some honestly good intentions, the film is overlong and simplifyed to the point of manipulation, while suffering one huge logical mistake. The generelly good acting can't save this film.
½ June 1, 2016
A gigantic misfire on pretty much every single level.
April 29, 2016
Iparxi kati kalitero apo auri tin taineia?? Mallon oxi... Epiko aristourgima pou tha to vlepo ksana kai ksana kai ksana..
April 29, 2016
This movie is so amazing and the acting is so spot on that I can't watch it too often because it's overwhelming how emotional it makes me. This movie is beautiful and really jerks at your heart strings.
½ April 11, 2016
Almost all the credit goes to Penn and Fanning, this film will grow on you.
April 10, 2016
Really nice little flick. It's not perfect, but it's entertaining, and the characters are quite lovable.
February 24, 2016
Very touching regardless of treacle.
½ February 10, 2016
I appreciate the film's message with my whole heart: Parenting is hard no matter how intelligent you are, and it takes a strong heart and open arms to raise up a child (but it takes faith in a God greater than this earth to truly raise one right, in my opinion). However, this is a film that wallows in sentiment more than a little bit.

The color palette for the film is odd and unorthodox to a fault, and tends to muddle the experience for me, just a bit.

That being said, the combination of efforts from the director and the stellar cast on an acting front is nothing short of a marvel. Sean Penn gives one of his most transformative performances, Michelle Pfeiffer does a magnificent job expressing subtle emotions in an otherwise not-so-subtle role, and the wonderously talented Dakota Fanning gives a fantastic little performance, and manages to stand toe-to-toe with the heavyweight acting prowess of Sean Penn.

Overall, this is a performance-driven film that seems to be striving for something more; it all just felt a little bit condescending sometimes. I know this is a favorite of many people, and I truly applaud the effort from the makers of this film, because this is very treacherous territory, but it just wasn't for me. Great performances though! Some of my favorite performances in fact.
½ January 22, 2016
I Am Sam is a decent film. It is about a mentally handicapped man who fights for custody of his 7-year-old daughter. Sean Penn, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Dakota give good performances. The script is a little slow in places. Jessie Nelson did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama.
December 5, 2015
Sean Penn and Michelle Pfeiffer were absolutely excellent in this. A must-see film. Heartfelt and dramatic. Such a beautiful movie. Nominated for an Oscar in 2002. It would have been awesome if Sean Penn would have won the Oscar. Overall a great movie! Bravo!
½ October 29, 2015
The first movie that made me cry
October 4, 2015
Imdb gives 7.6 from more than 110k votes and yet rt gives very poor rating for this film. unbelievable
October 3, 2015
A movie that means we'll but Sean Penn. Never go full retard
½ August 13, 2015
Best drama iv ever seen only one to ever make me cry other critics most likely dont understand how painful the circumstances in this movie actually are only thing i didn't like was how they never showed him in court for the final outcome