I Am Sam - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Sam Reviews

August 30, 2017
Heartbreaking but beautiful
August 25, 2017
A beautiful story where all the main characters experience growth and change in some way. I Am Sam is filled with honesty, reality, raw emotion, and what's important in a family. A must see if you're looking for a great film and story.
July 10, 2017
Extraordinary acting by both Penn and Pfeiffer. With heartfelt giggles, its a tear jerker for sure, but the dramatic performances are very well done. When Pfeiffer breaks down and shows her humility as a business stricken lawyer, we see that we're all not so different on the inside from those with special needs. We all have our struggles to deal with. A great massage well played, which makes the audience's user score far more relevant than the critics.
May 22, 2017
Outside of Sean Penn's performance,this is a manipulative film that tries to make you cry but fails.
May 9, 2017
I thought that this was a very heartfelt movie. Dakota Fanning was so damn cute and Sean Penn and all of his friends with intellectual disabilities sold their roles to me. The scene where they bought her the shoes was both whimsical and so touching! I loved all of the movie references and of course stories about The Beatles too. And shout out to The Rocky Horror Picture Show for the Sweet Tranvestite reference.

Nowadays, the events in this movie are unlikely to take effect due to all of the government programs available to help those who not only are living in poverty but also have some sort of intellectual disabilities. Not to mention the fact that the courts do tend to strongly favor a child going back to their biological parents rather than a foster home even when the situation is much worse than what the film shows.

The parts that really hit home for me were when Lucy told her dad that he "wasn't like other daddy's", or when she was pretending to not be able to read the harder words to not her her daddy's feelings, or when the court tried to explain to Sam that he would have limited and monitored visitations with his daughter, and lastly, when Sam told Randy that he wanted to tell her a secret. The secret, of course, being that he couldn't raise Lucy on his own and thought that the red in Lucy's painting was of Randy. The emotions displayed in these scenes... were wait for it.... OSCAR WORTHY! And I damn near cried.

Lucy: "I don't want to read it if you can't."
Sam: "It makes me happy when you're reading."

A very beautiful movie with a great message: All you need is love! With the lack of quality dads in this world, a lot of people would be lucky to have someone like Sam. Somebody that loves their child with their entire being and makes their little angel into their whole world. It's a typical Hollywood drama so you'll love it or you'll hate it. But can we all agree that Dakota Fanning was one of the most precious little girls ever?! She's so adorable!
April 3, 2017
O.K. - only ow many mentally handicapped stories to we need? The little girl was very good. Good acting all around, but story a bit trite.
February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 24, 2017
This is one of my top 5 movies of ALL time. Excellent acting, as proven in small part by the fact that this was the first movie I ever saw Sean Penn in, and I still have a hard time believing all the subsequent characters he has played! :-D Michelle Pfeiffer, Dakota Fanning and Dianne Wiest all do a SUPERB job of acting. It was not intended to be a treatise of the entire complex issue involved in this whole arena; it's just one story presenting (beautifully and realisticly) a side of this issue that most of us would never get to see. One cannot help but see people and life differently after watching this absolutely EXCELLENT movie!!!!!
December 9, 2016
One of my favourite movie
December 5, 2016
if you give love to a person when is growing up ,is very difficult to become a bad people! Pfeiffer is beautiful!!!
½ September 5, 2016
Cried within 15 mins of this film.
July 26, 2016
An important subject marred by a silly, overlong screenplay.
½ July 21, 2016
A touching movie that had me in tears. This type of movie feels like everyone will lose and I'm glad that didn't really happen. But at the same time, it's a bit idealistic. Love the soundtrack though.
½ June 19, 2016
bloody crap m8 get life
½ June 5, 2016
Sean penn's performance and his chemistry with Fanning gets 4 stars fro, me. The film as a whole gets 2 and half stars. It's horribly edited, irritating score (except when the scenes get emotional, those parts were decent) some unbelievable characters, and, a plot that is WAY too dragged out.
June 5, 2016
While it does have some honestly good intentions, the film is overlong and simplifyed to the point of manipulation, while suffering one huge logical mistake. The generelly good acting can't save this film.
½ June 1, 2016
A gigantic misfire on pretty much every single level.
April 29, 2016
Iparxi kati kalitero apo auri tin taineia?? Mallon oxi... Epiko aristourgima pou tha to vlepo ksana kai ksana kai ksana..
April 29, 2016
This movie is so amazing and the acting is so spot on that I can't watch it too often because it's overwhelming how emotional it makes me. This movie is beautiful and really jerks at your heart strings.
½ April 11, 2016
Almost all the credit goes to Penn and Fanning, this film will grow on you.