I Married a Witch Reviews

Alec B Super Reviewer
    2d ago

For a non-musical studio comedy of the era, there is a lot more emphasis on the visual style than you might expect, which is essential given the fact that certain characters spend a good portion of the movie as wisps of smoke.

• Jul 22, 2020

The fun cast makes it work.

The fun cast makes it work.

• Jul 14, 2020

A charming enough conceit, and Lake is bewitching as always, even if the film as a whole is not quite so magical.

• Mar 27, 2020

A fun movie with good special effects for 1942 (78 years ago!). Barely 20 year old Veronica Lake at perhaps her funniest and loveliest and 2 time Oscar winner March handles comedy even out of his element.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Nov 01, 2019

René Clair's amusing fantasy is easygoing and lighthearted enough for a film that is far more resonant than could be believed as a witch, meant for mischief, takes her own love potion and so falls in love with a mortal. Hijinks ensue. Cecil Kellaway steals the piece, though Veronica Lake in a nightgown proves nigh irresistible. Bewitching?

• Oct 02, 2019

Perhaps it's just that I was bewitched by the charms of Veronica Lake, but I enjoyed I Married a Witch. Despite the silly plot and cheesy special effects, I still found this movie to be entertaining. It's innocent Halloween-themed fun that the whole family can enjoy together.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best fantasy comedy romance movie ever made!

The best fantasy comedy romance movie ever made!

• Antonius B Super Reviewer
    Oct 29, 2018

Just a little too silly for me, even for a lighthearted fantasy. A bit like an old TV show (maybe 'I Dream of Jeannie'?), and lacking in charm. Also, Frederic March and Veronica Lake don't seem to match well, maybe because he was a bit dour at 45, and she was only 20. It's playful enough if you're looking for light fare.

• Oct 28, 2018

cute fun movie from a simpler time. It's a rom com from the 40's that could be a cute remake. I enjoyed Veronica Lake in a role she looked like she was having a lot of fun doing.

• Oct 25, 2018

I Married a Witch is a silly comedy about a witch who is wronged by a man during the 17th century so she decides to curse all future generations of men in his family to marry unpleasant women. The strange part is when she returns, despite seeing that the curse is still in full effect, she decides to hinder the current male member of that family from getting married to his shrew of a fiancé. This began a large section of the film where I just couldn’t figure out what she was doing. I think there was an explanation eventually, but it was moments before everything went wrong. Through an unfortunate mistake the witch becomes infatuated with her target, which I would consider a spoiler if it weren’t for the fact that the title of the film already spoils the ending. This mix-up led to some funny situations, so I appreciated the chuckles, but I never attained full laughter. Also, I could never believe that Jennifer was genuinely in love with Wallace, so the conclusion felt a little hollow. It didn’t help that Veronica Lake wasn’t the greatest actress for the role. I struggled to discern what she was thinking at any given time. There was nothing outright bad about I Married a Witch, aside from some confusing motivations for the characters, so I’d gladly watch it again. It just didn’t deliver the kind of humor I was seeking.