In the Shadow of the Moon Reviews

• 5h ago

'In the Shadow of the Moon' is the type of the movie that starts off strong and promising in the first act, where the mystery keeps the audience inquired until the end. However, as the movie slowly unfolds its mystery, you sort of guessed it at the beginning, which was a bit disappointing. I did not try to predict the ending or anything, but my brain picked up on it quickly. I went into this knowing absolutely nothing and I was inquired throughout. There is an underline theme in this movie that is sprinkled throughout, which I can only describe as "sadness". I think any movie that deals with the passing of time and loved ones is bound to bring a sad quality to it. Boyd Hallbrook was rather good in this movie and at first, I did not recognise him. He gets to show off a lot of his dramatic side during the more emotional elements in the movie and I think he pulls it off. Michael C Hall was also solid in this movie and he needs to be in more stuff, as we do not see much of him nowadays. Also, Bokeem Woodbine is looking and sounding more like Dave Chappelle as he is getting older. Overall rating: If the movie sounds interesting to you, then check it out. Not perfect but kept me entertained.

• Jul 28, 2020

I really wanted to like this movie, but it spent too much time on its kind of dull sci-fi gimmick and too little on its characters.

• Jul 16, 2020

A killer who disintegrates the brains of her victims then disappears for 9 years before appearing again. Youthful looking actors make it hard to follow supposed time jumps, no matter how long the beard is. Clichéd nerdy type drops info on the detectives about lunar cycles and is ignored. Poor editing; accents change between cuts in a conversation (oops!) and break the immersion. Ending and climax could have more impact if the critical points weren't vaguely glossed over during the film. But there is enough mystery to create an interesting story.

• Jul 14, 2020

It was a good concept, but it didn't really come together in the end.

It was a good concept, but it didn't really come together in the end.

• Jul 06, 2020

The movie at least wasn't terribly boring at first, but felt like it was racing towards nothing. It unfortunately succumbed to the predictable 'white people are evil' plot that a lot of Netflix garbage bin movies fall in to.

• Jun 28, 2020

IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON not only breaks down the cop procedural but breaks down the cop, too. In this movie, the police don't have procedures to deal with the extraordinary and it's a psychological and career altering effect. That's the good stuff. The rest is a mystery about how it came to be. It seems to take a lifetime to develop a weapon that melts brains. What there isn't, is enough technobabble to explain where the travel tech comes from. It seems to take much less time to develop time travel tech than a brain melty weapon. Early on I figured out who is the girl. I couldn't figure out why she didn't tell him who she is every time she meets him. If time bendy features are your thing, then go for it. It's not a bad watch. The acting and plot are fair play but it leaves us with many holes and several questions.

• Jun 06, 2020

In the Shadow of the Moon comes with an exciting sci-fi premise, but then overloads the storyline as so many do. It is enjoyable in parts, but ultimately comes up short. This one will remain in the shadows.

• May 30, 2020

interesting. A serial killer from the future is murdering people in an unusual way every 9 years in order to change the past. One officer dedicates his life to catching them and finding the truth.

• May 23, 2020

Great concept. Time-travelling serial killer... Shame Netflix didn't pull it off.

• May 21, 2020

Terrible, ridiculous premise and concluding explanation was annoying and also implausible. The Indian physicist was the villain but why did he tip them off? Was the "serial killer" a black woman to be gratuitous to have a minority only to be his granddaughter????? From his daughter and a black man who was just put in the hospital room for visual effect?? Sounded like it might be OK movie but ending absolutely horrible, poorly written, no logical conclusion with some sort of pseudo- philosophical statements supposed to imbue the film with some real meaning. There is no explanation for the extraordinary strength of the girl .....I concluded she must an alien long into the movie. She could break men's legs, fight them off, ride a motorcycle like it was an airplane. I just knew she could not be human only to be spared being killed by the star because she is "related"???? the New York Times reviewer is someone I would never trust after reading his review stating "movie is worth the ride".........come on......Movie that starts out with promise and has such a poor, illogical ending was not worth the time. NETFLIX HAS BEEN PRODUCING SOME REALLY CRAPPY ORIGINALS THE LAST YEAR. Glad I watched over two nights and did not stay up late for ending!!!