Inherent Vice Reviews

• Jun 14, 2020

I couldn't even finish it.

I couldn't even finish it.

• Jun 13, 2020

Terrible, just terrible, I'd write more but this movie has already stolen enough of my life that I won't get back.

• Jun 11, 2020

incoherent and deeply frustrating, the film tries to confuse its viewer and is deeply hollow.

• May 31, 2020

A neo-noir stoner epic about a hippie detective getting in over his head in a dark and sometimes hilarious conspiracy 9/10.

• Apr 03, 2020

I thought it was imperfectly perfect. Loved everything about it, but you need to be patient with the movie.

• Mar 27, 2020

The storyline was kinda confusing but the movie has a cool vibe overall, very 70's. The cast is perfect and Joaquin's performance is just amazing. Bonus points: the references to The Big Lebowski 👌

• Mar 12, 2020

I think the only person who gets this movie is director Paul Thomas Anderson.

I think the only person who gets this movie is director Paul Thomas Anderson.

• Mar 08, 2020

Original and a must see for anyone who liked the movie dazed and confused. its got some mad hippie vibes.

• Mar 02, 2020

Keeps Promising to develop a plot ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or compelling mystery maybe a twist doesn't happen Stoners just aren'that interesting at least not for two and a half hours

• Feb 21, 2020

Almost never does an entire film feel completely in sync with its protagonist. Inherent Vice is a journey seen through the POV of Doc, it ebbs and flows and trips out and sobers up with him. It's a tremendous piece of directing, editing, acting and scoring, and while the sparse comedy is subtle and home-hitting, the plotting and the tonal shifts make for a slightly acerbic and alien experience. The film has grown on me, my love for Joaquin's Doc, and every little shred of acting he piles into a scene, is now at its peak and I love the spaced out style of narration, the cinematography, and Waterston's totally magic performance. Would a movie like this work if it was clearer, more streamlined? Probably not. I like it wacky, I like its retro stylings, And I do feel drawn to it in some way. But it's dangerously close to boring at all times and the actual plot (and source material) is fully rubbish.