Ip Man 2: Legend of the Grandmaster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ip Man 2: Legend of the Grandmaster Reviews

½ April 29, 2017
This rainy Saturday I chose to sit and watch the IP Man Trilogy, having heard & read many good things about it. after watching the first I was anxious to get to IP Man 2, having thought the first movie was high on my list of being one of the best Martial Arts films I had ever seen. Beautiful camera work and exquisite fight scenes, light on wire work, that worked well in the context of their dramatic scenes. Whether choreographing fights against different Chinese styles or Chinese Wing Chung VS Japanese Kung Fu, the fights are exciting and generally authentic looking (to my untrained eye anyway).
This dramatization is based on the life of IP Man from 1938-1945, the creator of Wing Chung, a style of martial arts that would attract millions through the years, and teacher of Bruce Lee. it takes place during the Japanese occupation of China. recommended for lovers of the Genre.
½ April 28, 2017
I can see why the chinese, especially Hongkies would like this more than the original but I didn't. This is a high 4.5 while the first is a weak 5.0. This one certainly has less depressing stuff happening, and it has a good variety of everything you could want, but I can't live with rating it the same as Fearless which is a similar plot but on a whole different untouchable plane from this movie.

A few things ring false here and are even cheesy, but it's still one of the strongest kung fu movies of the decade, even century so far.
April 12, 2017
The English in this were just awful though did we need to be portrayed so Badly
March 16, 2017
Essentially just a Chinese Rocky with a couple of decent fight scenes and some laughably bad acting. This isn't really meant for westerners and isn't as good as the first one either.
½ March 14, 2017
7/10 - Of course not as good as the first but still a great movie which is carried by Ip Man's values which is what shined out for me and of course the fights were brilliant!
March 2, 2017
Ip man 2 is great and it's about revenge
February 22, 2017
I want Ip Man 2 in Tamil Language
½ January 25, 2017
Perhaps 40% action, and worth every second. The two-stage plot made for a much larger tale, and the little guy at the end made the whole room grin with realization.
January 22, 2017
This highest-grossing movie of Hong Kong follows in the footsteps of Rocky 2, not living up to the amazing level of the predecessor. Visually even better than the impressive first entry. Directing and Cinematography are just superb, simply the plot is too disjointed and well-tread to be as classic as 1.
December 16, 2016
This one was action packed when he fought the western boxer
½ December 9, 2016
More Rocky-like than the first one. the basic story structure made it easier to watch, but it was predictible.
½ December 7, 2016
Less of a compelling story than the first, though makes up for very intense and great fights.
December 3, 2016
So the plot is that two schools of martial arts have beef with each other for, well, reasons I supposed. Essentially the character motivations were unclear or contrived for plot purposes. The action choreography was nice but the editing was inconsistent, often separating action and reaction needlessly.
November 23, 2016
I am going to turn the blind eye to the certain wire-aided malarkey on the round table.
November 21, 2016
Ip Man 2 is a more crowded sequel but ups the action. Donnie Yen is once again great in the lead.
½ October 1, 2016
It's starts well enough but begins to lose interest as it drops story threads in favor of following the Rocky formula and devoting time to a cartoon villain.
Grade: C-
½ September 27, 2016
Adding eyecandy boy to the franchise, not bad, Huang Xiaoming.
September 11, 2016
What starts out as a promising martial arts film about a turf war between schools soon turns into a Chinese "Rocky IV," complete with boxing, racial stereotyping, and xenophobia. Much like the first "Ip Man," "Ip Man 2: Legend of the Grandmaster" suffers in the story-telling department. But, unlike the first film, the fight sequences aren't nearly as exciting or realistic and the performances aren't nearly as professional. However, what is most disappointing is that director Wilson Yip has adopted the Hollywood formula by sacrificing an interesting real-life story in favor of a fictitious one tailored to dispense thrills.
½ August 23, 2016
Ip Man 2 continues from where Ip Man left off. Donnie Yen is magnificent in a role that was made for him.

The 1st half of this film was as perfect as its predecessor. However, the film seemed to change course half way through when the antagonist abruptly switched from a competing local martial artist to a British boxer. The boxer was very cheesily portrayed and it was a wonder how a legend as Ip Man, who had earlier fought off over 30 men with machetes was now being severely beaten by a British boxer. The antagonist in the original film was much more realistic.

Despite the unfortunate sappy tone, this was still an extremely enjoyable film; just as fulfilling as the original. However, the plot was almost entirely identical. Peaceful teacher, local trouble, greater antagonist, death, main event, triumph.

The ending postscript about Bruce Lee is legendary.

I wanted to rate this an 8 of 10, but to me, this was a "good" movie, and could not be considered "very good".