Ip Man 2: Legend of the Grandmaster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ip Man 2: Legend of the Grandmaster Reviews

November 17, 2017
He lived an interesting life to say the least... Intriguing to see were how it's going to end..
½ September 24, 2017
Arguably less compelling than the first "Ip Man" from a narrative standpoint, this 2010 sequel knows how to use a simple premise as the basis for the excellent fight scenes. Even if the characterization is familiar the spectacle is fascinating and even if the finale isn't difficult to predict you're still on the edge of your seat, an effect only accentuated by the fact that Ip Man's integrity and humbleness are as essential to the plot as his martial arts prowess.
½ August 21, 2017
Good but not as good as the first.
½ August 15, 2017
Not as good as the first one - a bit formulaic and there's too much obvious wire work for my taste - but it's not bad.
August 9, 2017
Once again, director Wilson Yip maintains the effective level of commitment, delivering a more dynamic film than its predecessor, with all the goofiness and over-the-top performances from the cast, but with even more fluid and stylish action, this time, combining (in an although heavily entertaining way) American boxing with Kung Fu, maybe becoming too much of a "Rocky 4", but truth is, Donnie Yen's strongly charismatic performance makes the movie works at a much more higher scale, always being its own thing, with all its virtues and flaws.
½ August 8, 2017
Ip Man 2 starts right where the first one left off. The first part of the movie was my favorite part when he earns the respect of the other Masters. Some of those fights are very entertaining and full of action! After that, though, the story starts going a little bit downhill for me. The whole boxer idea seems out of place. How does a master get easily beaten? That didn't seem to tie in with the story, especially after the first half of the movie.
Overall, the Ip Man is still a badass in this part and the fights are really good. Though if I had to very picky, the fights in the first movie are better. My rating: VERY GOOD! 3.5/5 OR 7/10
½ July 12, 2017
Great to have Sammo Hung and Donnie Yen together, and it is still exiting to watch.
June 26, 2017
Solid sequel to an excellent film. Donnie Yen performs excellently again. The story is well crafted and it is pretty easy to track what is going on. The choreography is overall on point and definitely fun to watch.
½ April 29, 2017
This rainy Saturday I chose to sit and watch the IP Man Trilogy, having heard & read many good things about it. after watching the first I was anxious to get to IP Man 2, having thought the first movie was high on my list of being one of the best Martial Arts films I had ever seen. Beautiful camera work and exquisite fight scenes, light on wire work, that worked well in the context of their dramatic scenes. Whether choreographing fights against different Chinese styles or Chinese Wing Chung VS Japanese Kung Fu, the fights are exciting and generally authentic looking (to my untrained eye anyway).
This dramatization is based on the life of IP Man from 1938-1945, the creator of Wing Chung, a style of martial arts that would attract millions through the years, and teacher of Bruce Lee. it takes place during the Japanese occupation of China. recommended for lovers of the Genre.
½ April 28, 2017
I can see why the chinese, especially Hongkies would like this more than the original but I didn't. This is a high 4.5 while the first is a weak 5.0. This one certainly has less depressing stuff happening, and it has a good variety of everything you could want, but I can't live with rating it the same as Fearless which is a similar plot but on a whole different untouchable plane from this movie.

A few things ring false here and are even cheesy, but it's still one of the strongest kung fu movies of the decade, even century so far.
April 12, 2017
The English in this were just awful though did we need to be portrayed so Badly
March 16, 2017
Essentially just a Chinese Rocky with a couple of decent fight scenes and some laughably bad acting. This isn't really meant for westerners and isn't as good as the first one either.
½ March 14, 2017
7/10 - Of course not as good as the first but still a great movie which is carried by Ip Man's values which is what shined out for me and of course the fights were brilliant!
March 2, 2017
Ip man 2 is great and it's about revenge
February 22, 2017
I want Ip Man 2 in Tamil Language
½ January 25, 2017
Perhaps 40% action, and worth every second. The two-stage plot made for a much larger tale, and the little guy at the end made the whole room grin with realization.
January 22, 2017
This highest-grossing movie of Hong Kong follows in the footsteps of Rocky 2, not living up to the amazing level of the predecessor. Visually even better than the impressive first entry. Directing and Cinematography are just superb, simply the plot is too disjointed and well-tread to be as classic as 1.
December 16, 2016
This one was action packed when he fought the western boxer
½ December 9, 2016
More Rocky-like than the first one. the basic story structure made it easier to watch, but it was predictible.