Jian guo da ye (The Founding of a Republic) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jian guo da ye (The Founding of a Republic) Reviews

February 27, 2013
mainstream actors--Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan, Zhao Wei, Leon Lai, Hu Jun--are given such small roles that it's easy to miss them in the movie. It's not that they're out-of-place, but I think that any Chinese actor would be open to be in this movie. Anyone that only likes specific actors and doesn't give a damn about anything else is messed. Great movie, great acting, great context, little propagada-y, but w/e; don't hate on it.
October 12, 2012
my boyfriend said that this is a good film, but i didn't understand what the story is all about, it's too political for me, and i don't like politics, the story plot was unclear and too many casts , and my boyfriend fell asleep one hour later after he watched this film, oh .... -_-`` i couldn't stand anymore , and i stopped after 57 min.
July 25, 2012
This film follows closely with Chinese history, and many of the characters in this film(killed or lived) were key influential individuals shaping each step of the process of establishing the government. It is considered in-house film due to the fact it is not Western, as far as this film goes, it portrays proper history as much detail as Downfall, yet Downfall some how has an extremely higher rating. Bottom line is do not expect proper rating for Asian films on a mostly non international audience. Another important note is that this film includes 100+ main stream stars from all three stardom China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, some of which you will never see together in the same film.
½ October 9, 2011
Pure propaganda. Dont get fooled by the cast either. They should put an approx running time for each actor, cos this is false advertising.
September 13, 2011
China history is Great, but this film is an average.
July 1, 2011
ketua mao nampak sangat unyu di sini.. nggemesin beudz :hammer:
June 26, 2011
i watched the movie for 30 min. obviously not my style..
½ April 1, 2011
1.5: I remember hearing that this made more money within China than any other film ever released (to include other major moneymakers like Avatar, etc), but that it had very modest success outside of Mainland China. I can see why. I purchased it on Blu-Ray when I was in Hong Kong and received a little glass paper weight with a red star emblazoned upon it. This was very fitting, as the entire film is a blatant propaganda piece and a ludicrously detailed, and highly filtered, representation of historical events. It must be very different to view this film as a native of Communist China, but for this particular viewer the 200+ characters, that are all introduced on screen with subtitles giving their name and exact job title, seemed like a kind of zealous overkill I have never experienced before. The film is apparently funded by the Communist party as a celebration of the 60th anniversary of The Founding of a Republic. It certainly is that, but whether it is entertaining or good cinema is another question. The picture has good production values, a solid score, and is highly polished, but it didn't draw me in. I can't help but wonder how I would feel about a film done in a similar overly-detailed manner commemorating the founding of the United States though. I'm willing to bet it would be far more interesting than this and many of the names and events would probably seem as familiar as I'm sure those depicted here are to the average Chinese citizen. One forgets that we basically only learn the history of our own little country in school (there are of course exceptions, but, for the most part, films that drill into specific events in foreign countries usually seem foreign/unfamiliar to the outsider). The same thing happens with Visconti's films about mid-19th century Italy. This picture does bring history to life, but in a far too complicated and literal sense. It's like someone took one of the sections of the Bible, where one begat another begat another begat, etc, and meticulously and accurately put it on screen (except some of the names were censored and others were emphasized). It is an experience, but not one I care to go through again anytime soon.
March 31, 2011
chiem but managed to bag some knowledge on KMT vs CCP -> Chiang vs. Mao -> China vs. Taiwan, birth of PRC, the national anthem, flag design etc.
½ January 2, 2011
I recently saw this movie on DVD. While somewhat faithful to the outline of Chinese history, the movie was in-house. (A Chinese audience would follow it better) It referred to many individuals and places that most Americans wouldn't be familiar with. That wouldn't be such a problem except you really must pause the DVD to read the subtitles because the text flies by too fast. Additionally, the portrayal of Chiang Kai-shek was far too forgiving. It is pretty hard to be too harsh on Chiang, who was known as Chiang who sold the country. While the movie is not blatantly wrong, the flavor of the times was wrong, the devotion to Mao can only be understood in the context of the unspeakably vicious repression of all progressive elements of society during that period and the incredibly poverty of the people combined with the disparity between rich and poor. Only Mao's section of the party advanced a realistic, but controversial plan for social transformation. That controversy was absent in the movie.

Additionally the politics of the Chinese Communist Party during that period was really glossed over. There was a strong women's movement in China during that period supported by the CCP, the land reform was incredible, the labor struggles intense and the CCP was the only force fighting the Japanese in a consistent effective way in the country. The people's liberation army was democratic in a way that puts to shame most modern armies. The movie did deal with the witches brew of politics during that period to some degree, but no where near what it actually was, but at least it was a significant effort.

The movie seems to be a convenient creation that serves the current regime, which is communist in name only. The gutting of the politics is necessary because to remind people of what Mao was fighting for could fuel opposition to the current regime. Reminding people of the poverty and disparities in China in the 1930s-40s would also be inconvenient because of the incredible disparities today. Quite a lot of opposition exists in today's china to the ruthless economic exploitation that many workers serving multinational corporations endure. There are many wild cat strikes. If the workers put 2 and 2 together they might try to replicate what Mao was striving for.

I'd recommend reading an account of the period before the movie unless you know a lot about the period. "Red Star over China" is great. The portrayal of Mao is both larger than life and a bit jaded. Yes it sounds contradictory, but at times he seems manipulative in a bad way.

Mao wasn't a saint, nor a villian, he cared deeply for the Chinese people, and fought for them. That makes him a real hero along side the millions who worked and fought with him for the new China. Study the topic, but don't expect too much from this movie. It has excellent photography but weak politics and history. It seemed like it had a cast of thousands for the battle field scenes.
½ November 29, 2010
Reminds me of "Triumph of the Will" - and I think I don't like it for the same reason. Slow and boring, and blatant propaganda.
½ November 2, 2010
It is a good movie for what it is. They tried to put eveything into one thing. almost documentary like just without the over voice. The film covered the important parts before the Revolution. The casting was just crazy though so many familiar faces.
½ October 2, 2010
While watching The Founding Of A Republic one realizes that it differs from previous "main melody" films on one major point, namely it's shamelessly commercial appeal. This is evident, not only in the ludicrous cameo-parade on screen, but in the fact that the few actors that actually get their fair share of sceen time are allowed to do a good job. Hence, the viewer is rewarded with a more humanized Chang Kai-Shek this time, courtesy of Zhang Guoli, seemingly torn between the demands of the KMT and his country. But propaganda is without a doubt still very much on the agenda here, even when disguised as a solid blockbuster, and exactly how detrimental this state-funded show of commercial strength will be to the Chinese filmmaking industry in the future remains to be seen.
½ August 27, 2010
a review of all movie stars in Chinese Entertainment Circle.
½ August 15, 2010
Acting is quite good. But propaganda just turns my stomach. I'm sure Mao wasn't that saintly and they didn't really bother with involving non-communist political factions.
½ July 25, 2010
I felt it was more of a documentary than a film. The cast is awesome, looking alike the real historical people. It's better than I expected that the story allows the grey shade of KMT and the communist to be portrayed, thus makes it very real.

I can't help thinking of my mother's family who were contemporary to the period when watching this film, how their fates were directed by interests of certain groups of people in politics and power struggles.

My grandparents left Wuhan, a city port by Yantze river, to take refuge with KMT in Chongching during the war with Japanese and early civil war, thanks to their business and personal connections with high-level KMT generals. Later, they were among the first group of business people having moved out of China to Hong Kong where my mother was born. Then they were lured back by a communist policy requesting businesses to take part in development of China after the communist had taken power. My grandmother was afraid of my grandpa's looking for concubines, she decided to take all the children and nannies with them, and it was the beginning of their nightmare being trapped and persecuted for dacades for being "capitalist."
July 5, 2010
June 6, 2010
Tämä elokuva oli kuin Kiinan kansantasavalta. Suuri ja mahtava, mutta pitkä ja tylsähkö. Tunnettuja näyttelijöitä vilisi kuin ihmisiä Tiananmenin aukiolla. Kyseessä on iso produktio, mikä näkyi niin kuvauksessa kun efekteissäkin. Elokuvan lopputulos oli hyvin neutraali ja turhan vaisu, ainakin näin länkkärinäkökulmasta katsottuna. Kaikki kuvattiin ruusunpunaisena ja positiivisena. Leffaan olisi pitänyt saada edes vähän provoilua tai skandaalihakuisuutta. Silloin se olisi ainakin herättänyt tunteita. Nyt elokuva vain meni ohi ilman sen kummempaa ideaa. Kai tällä elokuvalla on ollut oma tarkoitus ja voin vain kuvitella, mikä se on, mutta se on sitten taas toinen juttu...
May 11, 2010
Hard to judge this movie in regards with its contents, as I i have little knowledge of the context outside of what is being teached in the history books here. The movie itself however is very well executed, both visually and storytelling.
½ April 22, 2010
Two Thumbs Up................. :)